Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Schedule

+6
wrv
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
up7587
UPSoccerFanatic
DoubleDipper
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2022 Schedule - Page 3 Empty Re: 2022 Schedule

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:50 pm

Well, LMU is still undefeated, but that’s an hour or so I’ll never get back. I joined the game in about the 30th minute.
LMU scored on what sure looked like an offside play with two players offside, then they shot themselves in the foot with an own goal. Still undefeated. It didn’t look like they were bunkering and played what looked like a 4-3-3. The midfield looks exploitable.
Looking at LMU’s schedule, the tie with UW is by far their best result of the season. Their two wins are against teams that have a combined 4 wins and pretty bad defenses, averaging five times as many goals conceded as UP.

While I was at it, I peeked at parts of the Pacific -SCU
Game from last weekend to see how Pacific won 2-0. They just flat out dominated SCU’s back line with speed and through balls.  I’ll bet Jerry was ageing in place.
They play each other again this weekend, with this next one counting as the conference game. Should be interesting.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:48 pm

2022 Schedule - Page 3 Pilto10

We are now Pilto Nation.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Rob's Jacket and SoreKnees like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:33 am

I figured when we acquired Pirate Town for the Franz campus we’d be PirateNation.

http://www.pdxstreetart.org/articles-all/2016/3/17/pirate-town
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:18 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I figured when we acquired Pirate Town for the Franz campus we’d be PirateNation.

http://www.pdxstreetart.org/articles-all/2016/3/17/pirate-town

I watched some of the Seton Hall game on the Pilots broadcast and at times it was impossible (for me) to tell when he was saying Pirates and when it was Pilots.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:17 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I figured when we acquired Pirate Town for the Franz campus we’d be PirateNation.
During my time at UP in the 60's the area was still an active industrial area, but many of us considered it an after-dark place to park our cars to drink beer and "make-out." After all, it was just a quick drive on what we considered private roads back to Mehling or Villa to drop off our dates.

Later, at the beginning of the 21st Century, I accompanied classes of ROTC cadets to the area where "war games," to include urban warfare, were conducted.

I can't begin to tell you how many times we had to stop the war while the university brought wide-eyed potential donors driving through in a van, hoping they would one day donate the money for sports complexes and the Physical Plant....and they did!!

Today, Pirate Town has made an amazing transformation because of those donors with the boat dock to be completed soon and only the new track and field complex left to be built.

At this point, I am not going to worry about the arsenic in the ground, as I am sure it was much, much worse in the 60's.  I have consulted Google for the long-term effects of arsenic, and not among them is a long-term addiction to UP athletics. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11266
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:13 am

They didn’t use only Arsenides in the 60’s for word preservatives, especially here in the NW where CCA doesn’t penetrate very well into Douglas Fir.  You are probably worrying about the wrong poisons.

Pirate town was a  creosote plant and apparently used a whole cocktail of poisons  for at least 50 industries. . It was in operation since about 1900 and copper arsenides were invented in 1933, so there is a whole history down there before arsenic.The creosote (PAH) and bifenols usually used was usually a coal tar derivative, a known carcinogen for at least 150 years. It’s main feature is that it was a cheap byproduct from coal generating plants.

That didn’t mean you couldn’t buy and use it with impunity. As a teenager it was available in hardware stores and  i coated many fence posts with the stuff mixed with kerosene for better penetration. You can still buy it with a business license. Commercially, it was steamed into the wood in autoclaves, which meant the creosote laden steam out gassed over a wide area when you opened the autoclaves. What wasn’t spread by the steam dripped off the wet wood onto the ground.

Here is a pdf you can look at to see the hazards.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/KerrMcGee/docs/Creosote%20Health%20Effects%20(Tronox).pdf

Adults and children should avoid:
- areas inside the wood preserving facility
- fenced facility areas
- areas with signs explaining that people should not enter
- contaminated or abandoned areas
- areas undergoing cleanup
- drainage ditches
- soil contaminated with creosote

And the DEQ listed the following toxins found in the triangle park site during tests.

Hazardous Substances/Waste Types: PCBs, toxic metals (As, Be, Sb, Be, Cu, Pb, Ni, Cr, Zn), PAHs, TPH, possible PCP (suspected off-site source), possible dioxins (suspected off-site and possible on-site source), methylene chloride, asbestos.

Now you know why it took millions to cap and mitigate the area so it could be used for non housing uses.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:13 pm

Geezaldinho wrote: You are probably worrying about the wrong poisons..
2022 Schedule - Page 3 What10
Not a chance...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Geezaldinho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:48 am

Nice win ladies over a previously undeafeted LMU team, which played with 11 on the defensive side the majority of the game, making it hard to score. In addition to the nice goal from outside the top of the box left from Togiai, the Pilots later put one off the crossbar. The Pilots looked in control throughout the evening, no doubt having possession for the majority of the  game.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:12 pm

wrv wrote:Nice win ladies over a previously undeafeted LMU team, which played with 11 on the defensive side the majority of the game, making it hard to score. In addition to the nice goal from outside the top of the box left from Togiai, the Pilots later put one off the crossbar. The Pilots looked in control throughout the evening, no doubt having possession for the majority of the  game.

The Lionesses not only had 11 in their own half, they had 11 in the defensive third most of the time. And this even after they were a goal down and really needed to attack. It looked like they were still playing for a scoreless draw even after the Pilots scored.

The Pilots have a lot of players who play well, and a few who play better than well, but they still lack an electric creator who can catalyze all her teammates' hard work into chances and goals. It will be exciting to see how far this blue-collar group can go.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Focus on what you can do something about. Next up, USF, who got shellacked by BYU 6-0 in Provo tonight.
I'm assuming you were just testing us, Geezer, 'cause according to the schedule, the Pilots are at home against Pepperdine on Saturday at 7. (However, the men play at USF on Saturday).

PU and GU played to a 1-1 result last evening in Spokane.

Watching last night's match against USD certainly reaffirmed how much we should appreciate the work that Kevin White does to keep Merlo Field in such beautiful condition.  And that's not a knock on the USD people, after all, California is having a terrible drought, but even the pros have said how much they enjoy coming to the Clive Charles Soccer Complex compared to their home pitch.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Watching last night's match against USD certainly reaffirmed how much we should appreciate the work that Kevin White does to keep Merlo Field in such beautiful condition.  And that's not a knock on the USD people, after all, California is having a terrible drought, but even the pros have said how much they enjoy coming to the Clive Charles Soccer Complex compared to their home pitch.

USD's field issues are unlikely drought related. They still have enough water in San Diego to keep the turf healthy, but no doubt they are worried. They do have an FCS football team which I believe plays in the same stadium as the soccer teams, subjecting the field to wear and tear that our grounds crew does not generally experience, as skilled as they may be.

The Pilot game with the Torrero's included more opportunities for goals unfinished and some errant passes. The 2-0 win could have been more. Our defense was once again stellar.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Watching last night's match against USD certainly reaffirmed how much we should appreciate the work that Kevin White does to keep Merlo Field in such beautiful condition.  And that's not a knock on the USD people, after all, California is having a terrible drought, but even the pros have said how much they enjoy coming to the Clive Charles Soccer Complex compared to their home pitch.

One of the reasons Merlo looks so nice is that the athletic department highly restricts use of the field. The soccer teams only rarely practice on it and most other use is prohibited, save for the rare guest international teams renting it for a few practices. Even then, they are being shunted to the lower fields more and more.

The main reason for the condition of the USD field is that it is probably one of the most overused pitches in the country. The NWSL Wave played most of its season there before moving to Snapdragon. The San Diego Loyal SC USL team plays there, the SD legion Major League Rugby team calls the place home. Both men and Women’s soccer teams play there, and the school still fields a pointy football team.

2022 Schedule - Page 3 79c10e10

I think even Mr. White would have a problem keeping that pitch presentable drought or no drought.

Some of that use will be eased with the new Snapdragon stadium sharing the load, but as long as USD has pointy ball, it will always be a rough field.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purplehaze Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:22 pm

Last night we were treated to a scrappy performance of the women as they took on #25Pepperdine. I credit Coach French with a winning game plan and I credit the women players with persistence and grit. It was lovely to have Christine Sinclair, Lindsey Huie and Erin Misaki present to this victory. I'll bet that Frenchie had them talking to the team in the locker room pregame. Tradition Never Graduates.

purplehaze
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by purplehaze Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:24 pm

By the way, does anyone know where we can view highlights from last night?

purplehaze
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:00 pm

purplehaze wrote:By the way, does anyone know where we can view highlights from last night?

Usually they're on the official YouTube channel soon after the game, but nothing so far.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PortlandPilots
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:12 pm

purplehaze wrote:By the way, does anyone know where we can view highlights from last night?
I would go here: https://wccsports.com/index.aspx

Scroll down the black area to the game you want to watch.  As of this posting, the men's game is the third one listed and the women's game is fourth.  Oh, and don't worry about all the chit-chat for the first 30 seconds of all the WCC videos, it is advertising before the game starts.

You can make your own highlights by forwarding through the video.  It is my recollection that Keeley Dokter scored around the 70-minute mark on the game clock and then Kayla Adams headed in the rebound off the cross bar about 8 or 9 minutes later.

However, if you only watch the goals, you will miss the (almost) always top-notch analysis from former Pilot GK, Angela Harrison, throughout the game.  Harrison still holds the program record for the lowest goals-against average in a season, which was 0.30 and came in 1998, her junior year, but Bre Norris has a chance of doing even better this season.

Pepperdine is a very good team that had been averaging something like 2.5 goals per game, and they gave to Pilots all they could handle, but UP's defense held tough when it counted.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

purplehaze likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:59 am

DoubleDipper wrote:

However, if you only watch the goals, you will miss the (almost) always top-notch analysis from former Pilot GK, Angela Harrison, throughout the game.  Harrison still holds the program record for the lowest goals-against average in a season, which was 0.30 and came in 1998, her junior year, but Bre Norris has a chance of doing even better this season.

Pepperdine is a very good team that had been averaging something like 2.5 goals per game, and they gave to Pilots all they could handle, but UP's defense held tough when it counted.

For you stat geeks, Norris’ current GA average is .28 GPG just slightly ahead of Angela.

The season has a ways to go, but I’m sure Angela is cheering Bre on.

As amazing is the team GA average of just .38 GPG. And their current scoring pace of 1.77 GPG.

While it doesn’t beat the 2005 championship year’s .35 GA and 3.10 GF figures,

This year's numbers look pretty good next to the 2002 championship team figures of .45 GA and 1.78 GF year end totals.

And as of today UP is one of three teams leading the country in giving up only 5 goals.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:34 pm

Huge game for the Pilots last week against Pepperdine. And another huge game coming up against BYU.

In fact, it is going to be huge game by huge game for the rest of the season.

GO PILOTS!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:

Usually they're on the official YouTube channel soon after the game, but nothing so far.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PortlandPilots

And it's up.

Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Geezaldinho and UPSoccerFanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:54 am

We just cannot seem to beat BYU. Sad

Chris Henderson downgraded our Tournament chances to "bubble."

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:58 pm

1. It is Fall Break for the UP students.
2. It is a late in the evening mid-week game for the middle and high school kids.
3. There is some very poor air quality in the area.

Tonight's important game against St. Mary's has all the earmarks of a poorly attended match.

Let's yell twice as loud as usual to make up for the lack of numbers while supporting our student-athletes. Yahoo!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

UPSoccerFanatic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:50 pm

St Mary’s promises to be a good game, having had a bit of an up and down season. Their wins are ok but not great, they have no bad losses, and they have some pretty good ties (Texas Tech, San Diego State, BYU). My memory says they keep the ball on the ground and have a high speed of play. I agree with DoubleDipper, we need to make lots of noise to support the team.

8/18/2022 vs. Cal Poly W 3-1
8/21/2022 vs. UC Santa Barbara W 1-0
8/25/2022 vs. California L 0-2
8/28/2022 at. San Jose St. W 3-0
9/4/2022 vs. Texas Tech T 0-0
9/9/2022 at. San Diego St. T 2-2
9/11/2022 at. UC San Diego W 4-2
9/15/2022 vs. Penn T 1-1
9/18/2022 vs. Washington St. L 0-2
10/1/2022 vs. *BYU T 0-0
10/5/2022 at. *Pacific T 0-0
10/8/2022 vs. *Loyola Marymount W 3-1
10/15/2022 at. *Santa Clara L 1-3
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:09 pm

I am told there is currently a discussion as to whether the game will be played due to the high AQI level that is in the "Unhealthy" category.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I am told there is currently a discussion as to whether the game will be played due to the high AQI level that is in the "Unhealthy" category.
UPDATE:

Tonight's game against SMC has been postponed until 8:30!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I am told there is currently a discussion as to whether the game will be played due to the high AQI level that is in the "Unhealthy" category.
UPDATE:

Tonight's game against SMC has been postponed until 8:30!!
UPDATE to the update…the game has been postponed until next Wednesday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next