Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm

+5
Sound Voltex
StudentPilot
Dean Murdoch
bdaddy
DoubleDipper
9 posters

Go down

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm Empty Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 am

There are not many who give the Pilots (9-6/0-0/NET 242) much of a chance against the Torreros (8-7/1-1/NET 202) tonight at 7pm in San Diego's Slim Gym.

UP has been out of action since beating UC-Davis on December 22, while USD played this past Saturday and Monday on the road, losing to USF by 15 before knocking off Pepperdine by 10.

KenPom is predicting USD will win by 9, 75-66, and the Las Vegas line is currently USD by 7 with a o/u of 140.

It is difficult to say how the long layoff will affect UP, but the team will have to limit its turnovers to win.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm Empty Re: Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm

Post by bdaddy Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:22 am

Finally! A shiny new game thread! I agree that it will be interesting to see how the Pilots handle the time off. I would offer a more optimistic perspective though. I think the most critical things for the Pilots moving forward are:

1) Continue to develop team chemistry and define player roles. We saw this team start to play more cohesively before the break.
2) The young/inexperienced players need to continue to improve and take on greater roles. The two most important in this category would be Yaru and Matija. They both need to step their games up and play more consistently. If they can do that, there won’t be as much pressure on Meadows, Austin and Robertson to play so many minutes. This is going to be especially critical now that the schedule has been so compressed.

I’m hoping the time off has helped in both of these areas. We’ll find out tonight though I guess.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm Empty Re: Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm

How much practice did they actually get in during the pause?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:How much practice did they actually get in during the pause?
I was told there was very little practice as a team until three or four days ago.

Before that, individuals and groups of three who had finally tested negative were practicing but this past Monday, our first day back at school, was when the team finally came together again.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 pm

What a start!! 17-5 Pilots.

And Chika shoots threes?? Who knew!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 pm

Someone needs to tell the Toreros broadcasting crew to turn up the volume.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:29 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:Someone needs to tell the Toreros broadcasting crew to turn up the volume.

COMMERCIAL
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Profet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:49 pm

I'm beginning to suspect this announcer is cheering for San Diego
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:59 pm

37 points at halftime, and Austin & Robertson combined for 2? Get those guys going and win this game!

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ San Diego Thursday 1/13 @ 7pm Empty Copy and paste job

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 pm

The Dons Pilots shot themselves in the foot several times in the closing minutes with bad decisions, bad shots and turnovers.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 pm

Ugh, losing a 17 point lead and then losing in OT. Tyler's stat line is pretty ugly. Layoff rust?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:11 pm

up7587 wrote: Layoff rust?
i was at the women's game so am just now watching the replay of the game, and yes, it could have been rust, but it seems the team was fired-up with adrenalin at the beginning and just didn't have the stamina/conditioning to finish.

I was told tonight that it takes about two weeks of conditioning to overcome a one-week layoff from workouts. I don't know if that is true for all individuals, but it would certainly be a possibility for those who may have been hit by the COVID virus.

Hey, we all hate losing...probably more than we love winning, but all we asked of this year's team was to be competitive.  And tonight, they were definitely competitive...despite the OT loss.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 am

It's hard to win when you don't make a field goal in the final 7 minutes. I was fairly pleased they were within 1 with not too long to go given the drought and was fairly convinced one of these shots has to go in soon, right?

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 am

I don't really care if this is an objective statement or not, but there's no way the rebound towards the end of regulation should have been San Diego ball.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:01 pm

Turnovers felt like the difference during the game and a check of the stats confirm that. TOs were 16-9 and the difference in points scored off them was even more pronounced (21-6 USD).

On the bright side, Joey Calcaterra entered the game shooting approximately 120% from the field during his career against the Pilots but scored zero last night. Baby steps.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:I don't really care if this is an objective statement or not, but there's no way the rebound towards the end of regulation should have been San Diego ball.

I agree, but if the video quality available to the refs was as bad as was broadcast on the wcc network, I see how they couldn't see it well enough to overturn it. Clearly the refs took their time to try to see it, but it was like watching the zapruder film.

It's 2022, can we please get better video production. I never watch how the pilot production looks, but I hope it's better than san diego.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm

blacksheep wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:I don't really care if this is an objective statement or not, but there's no way the rebound towards the end of regulation should have been San Diego ball.

I agree, but if the video quality available to the refs was as bad as was broadcast on the wcc network, I see how they couldn't see it well enough to overturn it. Clearly the refs took their time to try to see it, but it was like watching the zapruder film.

It's 2022, can we please get better video production. I never watch how the pilot production looks, but I hope it's better than san diego.

Portland definitely has one of the better overall mid-tier productions. San Diego's was probably the worst out of all that I've seen this season.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Portland definitely has one of the better overall mid-tier productions. San Diego's was probably the worst out of all that I've seen this season.

Refs in Chiles seem to get reviews right more than wrong, so I figured that was the case. How is there not a conference standard? Again, I'm not sure what the right answer on this call was, but with better video it should have been clear.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:05 pm

blacksheep wrote:I agree, but if the video quality available to the refs was as bad as was broadcast on the wcc network, I see how they couldn't see it well enough to overturn it. Clearly the refs took their time to try to see it, but it was like watching the zapruder film.

My exact thought in real time. 100% Pilots ball, but there was no way they were going to overturn that.

Anyone know how come we didn't see Kristian Sjolund at all?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by bdaddy Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:43 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Anyone know how come we didn't see Kristian Sjolund at all?

The radio broadcast kept calling it a “toe injury” and said he was available if needed. Hopefully, he’s back today because the Pilots could definitely use another shooter and a longer bench.

bdaddy
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Dean Murdoch and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:08 pm

bdaddy wrote:The radio broadcast...
Speaking of which...I almost never listen to the Pilots on the radio but caught the OT period while driving home from the women's game, and thought it was disjointed and the play-by-play guy seemed to not know what was going on for the most part.

Can I assume from this one bad sampling that it is usually better?  Can I also assume that it was being done from a Portland studio while watching the same miserable feed that everyone is complaining about?

If not, UP needs someone else behind the mic.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:05 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
bdaddy wrote:The radio broadcast...
Speaking of which...I almost never listen to the Pilots on the radio but caught the OT period while driving home from the women's game, and thought it was disjointed and the play-by-play guy seemed to not know what was going on for the most part.

Can I assume from this one bad sampling that it is usually better?  Can I also assume that it was being done from a Portland studio while watching the same miserable feed that everyone is complaining about?

If not, UP needs someone else behind the mic.

Sounds like he was watching the same miserable feed. The replay angles and quality were...not that great, to say the least.

Home feed productions are definitely on a school-by-school basis.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:35 pm

The WCC could do with mandating a 1080p full hd stream as the minimum. Even the "good" 720p streams aren't that great, but the San Diego one was particularly bad.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down