Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20

+7
NoPoNeighbor
Sound Voltex
pvfisher
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
bobtcat2
up7587
11 posters

Go down

Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20 Empty Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20

Post by up7587 Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 pm

Morgan St. is a HBCU from Baltimore, playing in the MEAC.  They are 2-2, opening with a couple home wins against St. Mary's College - Maryland (D3) and Penn St. Greater Allegheny (USCCA).  Then they went to George Mason, and lost 90-53, and at Seattle U. Thursday night where they trailed to entire game and lost 93-80.

They are another team that plays mostly guards and forwards; the tallest player getting significant minutes is 6'8".   55 of their 80 points at SU came from bench players, with three of them in double figures.  Two bench players put up 17 3P shots and made 9.  Only 1 starter played more than 16 minutes.

I expect another fast-paced game, as Morgan St. gives up a lot of points, makes turnovers, and plays small.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20 Empty Re: Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20

Post by bobtcat2 Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:11 am

No cheap tickets on stubhub as in years past.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20 Empty Re: Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:24 pm

I just looked at the box score from the Morgan St. @ Seattle U. game...Cameron Tyson scored 26 points in the first half knocking down his first eight attempts, including six threes, leading the Redhawks to an early 12-0 run before the Bears finally got on the board at the 15:40 mark in their 93-80 loss.

Come out fast and don't look back would seem a good strategy.

Morgan St. is favored over UP and unless the Pilots step-up their perimeter defense against the long-range shooting Bears (10-22 against SU) they could could make it a long night for UP fans.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:18 am

Remember, this game begins at 5pm today and will be televised locally on the CW with the incomparable Ann Schatz behind the mic.

KenPom has the Pilots winning 5 total games this season...this in NOT one of them!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Internet stream not working for anyone else? Seems like it's a glitch on the WCC website for me.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by pvfisher Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:27 pm

WCC website not working for me as well. Radio broadcast not working either. Sad

pvfisher
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:31 pm

https://watchstadium.com/live/morgan-state-at-portland/

WCC website has been pretty broken as of late.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

ExpatPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:31 pm

Sound Voltex wrote:https://watchstadium.com/live/morgan-state-at-portland/

WCC website has been pretty broken as of late.

Doing the good work. Thank you!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Can the WCC just sign up to be part of ESPN+ already? I’d gladly subscribe. The reliability and ease of navigation would be well worth the expense. This Stadium nonsense is ridiculous.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:07 pm

I should add… Here in Portland it’s pretty cool to watch the game on good old fashioned over-the-air TV! Ann Schatz… where has she been all these years? What a joy to listen to a quality announcer.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:17 pm

Who’s our assistant coach that looks like Robbie from the Wedding Singer?

Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20 E2890c10
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:32 pm

This group of Pilots is fun to watch. 22 turnovers tonight though, if that can get squared away they might just win a game or two this year that no one else expects them to.

326 to 324 in Kenpoms after that. I expected a bigger jump considering Morgan State was favoured going in.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Fox Mulder Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Who’s our assistant coach that looks like Robbie from the Wedding Singer?

Morgan St. @ Portland, Saturday 11/20 E2890c10

Bobby Suarez
Fox Mulder
Fox Mulder
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2021-05-06

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:52 pm

Legans and Wood post-radio: https://vocaroo.com/1aNV8LmqohYF

Also nice to see X doing co-commentating duties.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:55 pm

I think that Ann Schatz said it right (paraphrasing): "we haven't put together a complete game yet, but we are finding ways to win." Winning cures a lot, but this team is more fun to watch, period.

Also, as somewhat of an indictment of college football, our basketball game started after kickoff of a college football game I was watching AND our basketball game finished before the football game ended.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:04 pm

The team is fun to watch and I like Leggins attitude- keep shooting, they will fall. When that happens, the bigs can work more effectively. The big - Matheus Silvera -from Brazil had a nice run and with his weight he can - and did - show some nice moves. Jack gets them going.
BUT what a huge change from last year. Coach got into it with a T and bench on its feet.
Only question: Where were the students?

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:08 pm

Why the technical on Pilots?

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

There were two technicals on the Pilots. The first was for something one of the players on the bench said to the ref about not calling a foul. The second was at the end of the game, when the Perry went to the top corner and hugged the ball to take time off the clock and get fouled. The ref said he called a timeout, which the Pilots were out of. It was right in front of the TV broadcasters, and they said he didn't ask for one. Replay appeared to confirm he didn't ask for one, but the ref had already called the T. Legans seemed to laugh at that one because it was absurd.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:37 pm

up7587 wrote:There were two technicals on the Pilots.  
The first was on the always entertaining Coleman Lemke, who was of course just as active on the bench all night as the players were on the court.  Razz  

Scott Leykam was VERY close to Perry when the technical was called, and he is convinced Jack made no indication he wanted a timeout.  There is some speculation someone in the stands or a Morgan St. player may have yelled, "timeout."

Morgan State's #3, a grad-transfer from New Mexico, was chirping all night, and was continually barking stuff to UP's free-throw shooters to no avail...but he was also their co-top scorer with 14, including 4-7 behind the arc.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Snus Junction wrote:Only question: Where were the students?
A question many have asked repeatedly.

No, they are not on Thanksgiving break...there is no such thing at UP except Thursday, Friday and the weekend.

I know the Athletic Department has met with student groups, but UP athletics in general is just not something they are interested in.  There was a good turnout for the preseason pep-rally, but they have not returned.

Attendance by all is expected to increase once WCC play begins, but not in the numbers this team deserves.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I know the Athletic Department has met with student groups, but UP athletics in general is just not something they are interested in.  There was a good turnout for the preseason pep-rally, but they have not returned.

That's what you get for admitting a higher rated academic student body than back in my day. Too much time spent in the library.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:05 pm

up7587 wrote: Legans seemed to laugh at that one because it was absurd.
But he was hopping mad when a ref made a delayed flopping call on Morgan St. that stopped the play UP was running, and eventually resulted in a UP turnover.

After the delayed call and turnover, as the ref came running by my position, I yelled “that’s on you ref,” to which he gave me a direct eye-to-eye look and frown of "who are you to question my call?"

But within the next 10 seconds he proceeded to make a somewhat questionable offensive foul call on a Morgan St. player and then came over to me and said, “that was on me too,” after which we exchanged two thumbs up.

The refs may not always make the right call, but most of them are human… Laughing
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Snus Junction likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:23 pm

I turned on the tv  

Morgan state is up over Hampton 27-23 at the half

I don’t know what is more surprising, that they are ahead or they are on tv. (ESPNU)

<edit> amd they get their first win, beating winless Hampton 60-47
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down