Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

+13
mattywizz
Bewhy U Koogs
DJ Sherman
ShipstadPilot11
PurplePrideTrumpet
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
upsailor
blacksheep
oldtimer
Geezaldinho
DoubleDipper
PilotNut
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm Empty BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

Post by PilotNut Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Portland Pilots (5-17, 2-7) vs. Brigham Young Cougars (18-6, 6-3)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012
Tip-off: 7:00 p.m.
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Television: BYUtv
Radio: 800 AM
Overall Series: 0-5
At UP: 0-2
At BYU: 0-3
Last: BYU 91, POR 76 (December 13, 2008 at BYU)

TICKETS
• Tickets are still available for Portland’s three remaining home games, including Saturday’s contest versus BYU.
• Fans can get tickets through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at ticketmaster.com, or through the Pilot Box Office (M-F, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Tickets may also be purchased at the door 90 minutes prior to tipoff each game. Call the Pilot Box Office at (503) 943-7525 with any questions.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm Empty Re: BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:49 pm

For those who may not subscribe to BYUtv, or would prefer the game in HD, the game will be shown (delayed) on CSNNW in the Portland area at 10pm PST.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Smile OK, nice win on the road, but just like the coaches, we've now got to get ready for Saturday against BYU!

BYU fans will have the signs, the chants, the noise and the numbers on Saturday. If any of you have influence over our students – get them out to the game, and get them noisy. Our fans better really get into this game, because the players are going to need us.

Okay, K. Bailey will probably guard but not shut down Hartsock, and they’ve still got Davies and Carlino who will give us fits – so what’s the plan PN? How do we stop these guys? Sure we’ll pound it inside to Ryno and VDM, but it’s going to take more than that.

Tim, Nem, KB? Where do we get our points outside? Come on all you PN coaches, how are we going to win this game? Question
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Relax, we're on a winning streak.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 pm

I hoping that the fumes resulting from the PN pre-game festivities will make the Cougar players light-headed. drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 pm

up7587 wrote:I hoping that the fumes resulting from the PN pre-game festivities will make the Cougar players light-headed. drunken
I wish we still had the Upsilon hearse to take the PN crowd to the game in style!Razz
In its time, it made a great impact on game preparation. afro
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

BYU @ Portland, Saturday 2/4, 7pm Empty BYU

Post by oldtimer Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Relax, we're on a winning streak.

Ok that was pretty funny....

I dont think Kevin will guard Noah, that task will most likely go to Nicholas. Kevin may get the draw with Davies as I dont see VDM matching up very well there. Lets hope Kevin quickly recovers from that performance last night and is ready to play tomorrow.

Good question DD, I too am curious where we will get our outside points. I think Tanner has been playing well, perhaps he can knock down some 3's. Nem actually has been playing a bit more improved ball as of late but still not close to last years form but I have faith in him. Tim will have the same challanges that Stockton and Pangos had last night with BYUs size, he needs to penetrate and dish.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 am

up7587 wrote:I hoping that the fumes resulting from the PN pre-game festivities will make the Cougar players light-headed. drunken

I will do my part! Cheers!

blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 am

will tim and tanner get more min. saturday. both had very good games at santa clara, tim 16 pts and no to in 18 min. thatts about his ave min latelly and has been playing better of late. same is true of tanner and david.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am

Good point, Sailor... Tim had a great game last night... penetrating & scoring, handling the ball without turning it over, and making important free throws under pressure in the closing moments. Let's hope this trend continues!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I liked the comment on TV about Tanner: the coach asked him what he needed to do to help the team win; he mentioned defense and rebounding. Rev said, no, you've got to score.

I agree, we need players who can score outside to take pressure of the big guys inside. Kevin was very aggressive driving to the rim, but he got two or three charging calls. Both Tim and Derrick had good drive and pull up shots. But we need consistent outside scoring to open up the middle for everyone else.

Last edited by up7587 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Kevin....

Euro step, baby.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Pilots Host BYU Cougars on Saturday

Portland Pilots (6-17, 3-7) vs. Brigham Young Cougars (19-6, 6-3)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012
Tip-off: 7:00 p.m.
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Television: BYUtv
Radio: 800 AM
Overall Series: 0-5
At UP: 0-2
At BYU: 0-3
Last: BYU 91, POR 76 (December 13, 2008 at BYU)

COMING UP
• Portland (6-17, 3-7 WCC) looks build on Thursday’s 84-78 win at Santa Clara as the Pilots host the newest member of the West Coast Conference, the Brigham Young Cougars (19-6, 7-3) on Saturday at 7 p.m.
• The Cougars are coming off of an impressive 83-73 home win over No. 24 Gonzaga on Thursday.
• The game will be televised live on BYUtv with Dave McCann and Steve Cleveland calling the action.
• All Portland basketball games will be broadcast live on True Talk 800 AM, with a 30-minute pregame show. Bill Johnson will provide the play-by-play and an audio simulcast will also be available on www.PilotsVideo.com.

TICKETS
• Tickets are still available for Portland’s three remaining home games, including Saturday’s contest versus BYU.
• Fans can get tickets through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at ticketmaster.com, or through the Pilot Box Office (M-F, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Tickets may also be purchased at the door 90 minutes prior to tipoff each game. Call the Pilot Box Office at (503) 943-7525 with any questions.

ABOUT THE PILOTS
• The Pilots picked up their first road win of the season and snapped a six-game losing streak with an 84-78 victory over the Santa Clara Broncos on Thursday.
• Sophomore F Ryan Nicholas paced the Pilots with 19 points and eight rebounds, while freshman C Thomas van der Mars added 11 points and nine rebounds.

ABOUT BRIGHAM YOUNG
• The Cougars (19-6, 7-3) picked up a big win at home on Thursday over the No. 24 Gonzaga Bulldogs, 83-73.
• Senior F Noah Hartsock led BYU with 24 points and 14 rebounds against Gonzaga, while freshman G Matt Carlino added 18 points and five assists.
• The Cougars posted impressive non-conference wins over Nevada (76-55), Oregon (79-65) and UC Santa Barbara (89-75). Losses came to Baylor, Wisconsin and Utah State.
• Two of BYU’s three league losses came to Saint Mary’s and the third was at home against Loyola Marymount.
• Hartsock leads four players averaging double figures at 17.8 ppg, while junior F Brandon Davies adds 14.3 ppg and 7.8 rebounds.
• The Cougars lead the WCC in scoring (79.2) and field goal percentage defense (.404).
• BYU, in its first year as a member of the WCC, was picked to finish third in the WCC Preseason Poll.
• Dave Rose is in his seventh season as head coach and posts a 178-51 overall record.

LINEUP NOTES
• Senior PG Eric Waterford (knee) is out for Saturday.
• Sophomore C Riley Barker has missed the last 16 games (knee) and is also out for Saturday.
• Head coach Eric Reveno has used eight different starting lineups this year.
• Sophomore Ryan Nicholas is the only Pilot to start all 23 games this year, while 11 different Pilots have started at least one game.
• Three different freshmen have started at least four games.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:57 am

GAME DAY!

Again, as a service to our readers, here are tonight’s prognostications from Ken Pomeroy, listed first/and from the Odds Makers in Las Vegas, listed second:

BYU 85 - @UP 69/BYU by 13 (we’ve got to turn up the noise against the BYU fans to win bounce )

GU 66 - @PU 54/GU by 13.5 (gotta root for GU in this one)

LMU 76 - USF 70/LMU by 2.5 (the experts are seeing USF as a rising team)

USD 78 - SCU 71/USD by 6 (they still like SCU, despite their 0-9 record)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:29 am

Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I've been a Pilots fan since I started going to games with my dad as a middle-schooler in the mid-'90s (Jimmy Rainwater, Chivo Anderson!). I've recently moved back to Portland and have been enjoying following the Pilots from nearby, rather than afar. It's been fun to make it back to the Chiles Center a few times this season.

Just wanted to point out that tonight's game, and all BYU games (it looks like), is going to be streamed live (for free!) on the byuTV website: byutv.org

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by upsailor Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:36 am

Noah is pretty quick and I would worry with Ryan on him. He may pick up too many fouls, but we'll see.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:39 am

Also streamed free* from the arena floor to your purple seat in the stands.

* Entry fee and seat rental may apply.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:45 am

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I've been a Pilots fan since I started going to games with my dad as a middle-schooler in the mid-'90s (Jimmy Rainwater, Chivo Anderson!). I've recently moved back to Portland and have been enjoying following the Pilots from nearby, rather than afar. It's been fun to make it back to the Chiles Center a few times this season.

Just wanted to point out that tonight's game, and all BYU games (it looks like), is going to be streamed live (for free!) on the byuTV website: byutv.org
Chivo, Chivo, Chivo; loved that guy! Well, NoPo you helped get us to The Dance in '96; you're young, can you still get us there? Don't be watching tonights game in front of some electronic device -- get out there and help our Pilots win! Smile

Oh, and welcome back to the Portland area, and to PN! cheers
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Don't be watching tonights game in front of some electronic device -- get out there and help our Pilots win! Smile

Can't make it to tonight's game, but I'll be there for LMU and SMC. I wasn't suggesting that anyone watch the game online rather than attend in person. I just thought out-of-towners would appreciate the info. Also, looks like byuTV will have the game posted on-demand afterwords. So you can cheer on the Pilots from the stands, and then go home and watch all the action again.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:41 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:I wasn't suggesting that anyone watch the game online rather than attend in person. I just thought out-of-towners would appreciate the info.
We knew that; thanks for looking for options for the out-of-towners; it's tough being a Pilot fan living thousands of miles away; been there! Crying or Very sad

BTW: the game is live on BYUtv nationally (234 in Portland area) and taped delayed at 10pm on CSNNW. BYUtv is carried by various satellite and cable outfits throughout the US, and it is in HD if the provider chooses to make it available. Comcast has chosen low-def in the Portland area - for now.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:32 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I've been a Pilots fan since I started going to games with my dad as a middle-schooler in the mid-'90s (Jimmy Rainwater, Chivo Anderson!). I've recently moved back to Portland and have been enjoying following the Pilots from nearby, rather than afar. It's been fun to make it back to the Chiles Center a few times this season.

You must be about my age. I remember Jimmie and Chivo, and my first Pilot teams had guys like Kasey Flicker, Lemont Daniels, Curt Ranta, and Greg Klosterman.

There was an alumni game after the USF game a couple weeks ago. You probably would have loved it.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:12 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Don't be watching tonights game in front of some electronic device -- get out there and help our Pilots win! Smile

Agreed. We as fans need to pick it up a notch. If the students arent fired up, we need to be. Maybe we get THEM going?! BTW, whatever happened to the cheers of "Go!" "Pilots!" back and forth across the floor? (And if the BYU fans try to hijack that one, change it to something like "Portland!" "Pilots!").

Hopefully the dance team pulls out the purple pom poms, the students are pumped & dont resort to lazy chants (i.e. USD game), and the Pilots come out with fire.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:16 pm

PilotNut wrote:BTW, whatever happened to the cheers of "Go!" "Pilots!" back and forth across the floor? (And if the BYU fans try to hijack that one, change it to something like "Portland!" "Pilots!").
I tried to get this one going during the Gonzaga game. I did it by trying to spread the word to people I knew throughout the student section to do it coming out of a TO - it didn't work.

I'd be willing to start it from the 'adult' side today if I knew the PN faithful would have my back.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:26 pm

It really helps if the dance team, or students or someone has some of those big signs... that really helps get the cadence/timing down.

The key is getting the first "Go!" loud enough... Maybe you should stand down by the scorer's table and start it...! Very Happy

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:30 pm

PilotNut wrote:The key is getting the first "Go!" loud enough... Maybe you should stand down by the scorer's table and start it...! Very Happy
My plan, exactly. Probably between the center and bench sections.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next