Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021

+5
Dean Murdoch
Rob's Jacket
up7587
DoubleDipper
dholcombe
9 posters

Go down

Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021 Empty Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021

Post by dholcombe Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:06 pm

There was no pre game thread and Willamette is a Division 3 school, but... Mike Meadows got the first triple double in Portland history and 122 points might be the all time high points in a game for the Pilots.

And that seems like it deserves it's own thread.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021 Empty Re: Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021

Post by dholcombe Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:26 pm

The official game summary has interview links off to the right side. First time I recall seeing those. Nice touch. https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/11/11/mens-basketball-meadows-earns-first-ever-triple-double-pilots-score-record-122-points-in-win-over-willamette.aspx

Also looking at the box score Nduka's double double was in only 16 minutes played, which I did not realize. Impressive.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021 Empty Re: Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:44 pm

dholcombe wrote:Also looking at the box score Nduka's double double was in only 16 minutes played, which I did not realize. Impressive.
It took him 10 extra minutes to do it, but Moses Wood also had a double-double with 16 points and 15 rebounds...

Coach Legans could not have been happy with the Pilots defense in the first half, but the guys clamped down pretty well in the second half, outscoring the Bearcats 66-30 in their 122-78 win.

Some might recall we saw tape of Chika Nduka's high school senior year and he was slow and plodding, but what we didn't see was his one extra year at prep school before coming to UP...it made all the difference, he's good!

Many of us were impressed with the play of Willamette's #0 who scored 24 points on some very good D-1 moves.  Hard to believe a kid from Fresno that good was not recruited by some mid-majors or at least a D2 team.  He will be!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:14 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
dholcombe wrote:Also looking at the box score Nduka's double double was in only 16 minutes played, which I did not realize. Impressive.
Some might recall we saw tape of Chika Nduka's high school senior year and he was slow and plodding, but what we didn't see was his one extra year at prep school before coming to UP...it made all the difference, he's good!

3 for 6 shooting, including 1 for 1 on 3P. 8 for 8 on FTs! 6 offensive rebounds! Zero personal fouls, four fouls drawn! Zero TOs.

That's an amazing stat line.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:42 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Many of us were impressed with the play of Willamette's #0 who scored 24 points on some very good D-1 moves.  Hard to believe a kid from Fresno that good was not recruited by some mid-majors or at least a D2 team.  He will be!

As a Willamette alum, that's great to hear. Hopefully Cedric can help pull my alma mater out of its more or less decade-long basketball malaise, including the 1-28 stretch that they're currently on. Shocked

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 am

Rob's Jacket wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Many of us were impressed with the play of Willamette's #0 who scored 24 points on some very good D-1 moves.  Hard to believe a kid from Fresno that good was not recruited by some mid-majors or at least a D2 team.  He will be!

As a Willamette alum, that's great to hear. Hopefully Cedric can help pull my alma mater out of its more or less decade-long basketball malaise, including the 1-28 stretch that they're currently on. Shocked

Ouch! Between the Bearcats and the Pilots you've had a lot of basketball-related heartache over the past few years!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Rob's Jacket and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:14 am

dholcombe wrote:The official game summary has interview links off to the right side. First time I recall seeing those. Nice touch. https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/11/11/mens-basketball-meadows-earns-first-ever-triple-double-pilots-score-record-122-points-in-win-over-willamette.aspx

It's been there for at least a year or so. It's nice they have the radio segments too since I never knew about the radio post-game interviews for a long time.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

dholcombe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 am

Honestly... I have no idea what went on last year. With no in person games and Porter still at the helm I basically checked out.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Fun Fact about Willamette: Their Head Coach Kip Ioane is from my home town (Billings, Montana). He's a few years older than me, but his Dad was a my PE teacher in high school. Not too many athletes of note come from Billings, Montana, so I always root for anyone from there.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:23 pm

dholcombe wrote:There was no pre game thread and Willamette is a Division 3 school, but... Mike Meadows got the first triple double in Portland history and 122 points might be the all time high points in a game for the Pilots.

And that seems like it deserves it's own thread.

122 might be a Pilot record, but it is not a Chiles Center record. LMU scored 126 against the Pilots in 1990. RIP Hank.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

dholcombe and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:57 pm

If we want to be really technical, I believe the Chiles Center record might be the 164 set by “LaMarcus Aldridge’s Home Team” during the 2011 NBA lockout.

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2011/11/offensive_highlights_shadow_of.html

I sat essentially top row of the bleachers behind the baskets. Leg room was horrible but the show was amazing.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

dholcombe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:53 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:If we want to be really technical, I believe the Chiles Center record might be the 164 set by “LaMarcus Aldridge’s Home Team” during the 2011 NBA lockout.
I did not know that...thank you.

Going through the pictures from the game there were at least four faces I recognized, but none more so than former UP soccer player Lisa Sari, who at the time of the photo was Coach Lisa Chambers.

Willamette @ Portland November 11, 2021 16410
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down