Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT)

+5
NoPoNeighbor
Sound Voltex
StudentPilot
DoubleDipper
Dean Murdoch
9 posters

Go down

Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT) Empty Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT)

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:22 am

🕓 5:00 PM local (4:00 PM Pacific)
📍 Desert Financial Arena (Tempe, Ariz.)
🎟️ ticketmaster.com
📺 Pac 12 Arizona
📻 910 ESPN Portland
📊 statbroadcast.com

METRICS
Kenpom: Arizona State #58, Portland #330 (91-65 ASU projected)
Barttorvik: Arizona State #53, Portland #295 (92-71 ASU projected)
Haslametrics: Arizona State #70, Portland #333 (88-65 ASU projected)

ASU INFO
Ten Takeaways: Saint Katherine
Saint Katherine 41, Arizona State 108 (Nov. 1)
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT) Empty Re: Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT)

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:31 am

I had assumed I'd be able to watch this one on the Pac-12 Networks International channel on YouTube, but it looks like they are airing the Texas Southern/Oregon game in this time slot instead and moving the Pilots/ASU game to Pac-12 Arizona (eventually the Pilots/ASU game will air on the main network, but not until 1:30 AM).

I don't think there's any way to pick up the Pac-12 regional channels out of market and I can't get 910 ESPN out of the USA, so I might be out of luck for this one!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT) Empty Re: Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT)

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:32 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:...it looks like they are airing the Texas Southern/Oregon game in this time slot instead and moving the Pilots/ASU game to Pac-12 Arizona (eventually the Pilots/ASU game will air on the main network, but not until 1:30 AM).
Unfortunately, you are correct.

You've had your COVID shots, can't you risk a little prison time and sneak across the border into North Dakota to watch the game? jocolor

Those of us in the Portland area with Xfinity will be able to watch the game online at no additional cost at 4pm, and as mentioned, it will be on the TV on the Pac-12 Oregon network at 1:30am.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:47 am

DoubleDipper wrote:You've had your COVID shots, can't you risk a little prison time and sneak across the border into North Dakota to watch the game? jocolor

A good theory and I might consider the short drive to the border, but I don't think a random bar in Montana would have the ability to tune in to Pac-12 Networks' regional channels.

Wonder if Sound Voltex has a solution for me? He's had some ideas in the past.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Can you get WCCSports.com??

https://wccsports.com/calendar.aspx?path=mbball

I clicked on "video" and was told as an Xfinity subscriber I was automatically logged on to the Pac12 Network, but perhaps you can pay a fee to get the link to work if you are not a subscriber.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:07 pm

StudentPilot wrote:I clicked on "video" and was told as an Xfinity subscriber I was automatically logged on to the Pac12 Network, but perhaps you can pay a fee to get the link to work if you are not a subscriber.

Don't think that's an option for me.

I may have to resort to the, uhh, seedier areas of the Internet if I want to watch this one Smile
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:12 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:You've had your COVID shots, can't you risk a little prison time and sneak across the border into North Dakota to watch the game? jocolor

A good theory and I might consider the short drive to the border, but I don't think a random bar in Montana would have the ability to tune in to Pac-12 Networks' regional channels.

Wonder if Sound Voltex has a solution for me? He's had some ideas in the past.

Probably the seedier option or something. Hard to say cause this is the opener for ASU as well. I would've gone to Pac-12 International, too.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:10 am

Coach Bobby Hurley is in his 7th season at ASU after replacing current Santa Clara head coach Herb Sendek before the 2015-16 season, and some think this may be his best team yet after adding five transfers and five freshmen to compliment his three returning starters from last season.

Returning Starters: F Kimani Lawrence (6-8, Sr., 8.1 ppg, 5 rpg); F Marcus Bagley (6-8, Soph., 10.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg); F Jalen Graham (6-9, Jr., 8.1 ppg, 5 rpg).

Others: G Luther Muhammad (6-4, Jr., transfer from Ohio State in 2020, red-shirted last year at ASU after shoulder surgery).

Notable transfers: G Marreon Jackson (Toledo, 6-1, Sr., MAC Player of the Year, 18.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 5.9 pg), G Jay Heath (Boston College, 6-3, Jr., 14.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg), G D.J. Horne (Illinois State, 6-1, Jr., 15.1 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.7 apg), and former 4-star F Alonzo Gaffney (Ohio St./Northwest Florida State College, 6-9, Jr.).

High school recruits added: 4-star recruits C Enoch Boakye (6-10, George Harris Prep, Canada) and F Will Felton (6-8, Millbrook HS, Raleigh, N.C.); F-G Jamiya Neal (6-6, Phoenix Hillcrest Prep); and 3-star recruits F-G Demari Williams (6-6, Dream City Christian) and G Justin Rochelin (6-4 Heritage Christian, Calif.).

If Hurley's past teams are any indication, we can expect a very fast paced game with ASU expecting to dominate the boards and hustle, hustle, hustle for everything.  (Hustling is something they did not do last year, and that is why there are 10 new players on the team). Neutral
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Dean Murdoch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Vegas has ASU as 24-point favorites.

Not a betting guy, but I will go out on a limb and say the Pilots put up a better fight than that.

Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:05 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:Vegas has ASU as 24-point favorites.
Not a betting guy, but I will go out on a limb and say the Pilots put up a better fight than that.
I dunno, ASU and UP play very similar styles of basketball with each team getting up and down the court in a hurry and hustling for every loose ball, but face it, on paper at least, ASU has the better talent. Bobby Hurley is an established coach in a power 5/6 conference, and that makes all the difference in recruiting.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too wordy)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:44 am

The big news for Pilot fans today is Moses Wood has been cleared to play this afternoon after the university, just today, FINALLY, and AFTER MUCH EFFORT received his paperwork stating that he graduated from UNLV!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------
The Pilots upset an eventual Elite Eight team in Oregon State last season, so while ASU is heavily favored, the Sun Devils can’t look past Portland.
Kind of a contradiction by the author after writing that the entire Pilot team and coaching staff are new this year. Rolling Eyes

Nothing really new in the article. https://infernointel.com/asu-basketball-previewing-the-portland-pilots/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:27 pm

And after all that...

https://pac-12.com/live?networks=P12ARZ

The front-door link works just fine for me. Go figure!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

dholcombe, ExpatPilot and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Hey, those new road uniforms look sharp! I like the purple stripe on the side.

I wasn't able to watch the first half, but being down by only 6 on the road against a Pac12 team is encouraging...

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

dholcombe and DoubleDipper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:51 pm

Where is Tyler Robertson?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Vegas has ASU as 24-point favorites.

Woulda won, 16 point difference, 76-60.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:07 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Where is Tyler Robertson?

Radio just mentioned some kind of ankle injury.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:METRICS
Kenpom: Arizona State #58, Portland #330 (91-65 ASU projected)
Barttorvik: Arizona State #53, Portland #295 (92-71 ASU projected)
Haslametrics: Arizona State #70, Portland #333 (88-65 ASU projected)
Yes, UP lost 76-60, but no matter how you look at it the Pilots beat the experts.

Chris Austin is without question the quiet leader with the muscular moves, and so far, Chika Nduka is the freshman of the year...so good to see the kid play solid ball without backing down from bigger and more experienced players.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

dholcombe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm

First Legans-era post-radio interview:

https://vocaroo.com/1ivDRXz5R0U4
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

dholcombe, DoubleDipper and Dean Murdoch like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:14 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
The Pilots upset an eventual Elite Eight team in Oregon State last season, so while ASU is heavily favored, the Sun Devils can’t look past Portland.
/
It almost happened again in Corvallis...Portland State was leading by 11 with just 13 minutes to go but couldn't hold on and the Beavers prevailed, 73-64.

Hayden Curtiss did not play...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:55 pm

https://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/2021/11/portland-pilots-and-new-coach-shantay-legans-drop-season-opener-at-arizona-state.html

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:22 am

Sound Voltex wrote:First Legans-era post-radio interview:

https://vocaroo.com/1ivDRXz5R0U4

Our head coach wishes they could play these guys again in a couple of weeks? How refreshing to have the expectation of significant improvement as the year goes along!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:00 pm

Thanks Dean for the streaming link!

Also agreed on the road uniforms looking great! I think they are the best we've ever had.

I knew we would not win this game, but it was honestly refreshing to watch the team play right up until the end. Even down by ~15 with 4 minutes left it felt like the team was playing to win. That's progress for us. I will accept a 16-point loss because this would have been far worse in previous seasons.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:03 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:Also agreed on the road uniforms looking great! I think they are the best we've ever had.
Posing...

Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT) Unifor10

Pilots @ Arizona State (Nov. 9 @ 4:00 PT) Unifor11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

bullwinkle, StudentPilot and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:24 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:Thanks Dean for the streaming link!

Also agreed on the road uniforms looking great! I think they are the best we've ever had.

I knew we would not win this game, but it was honestly refreshing to watch the team play right up until the end. Even down by ~15 with 4 minutes left it felt like the team was playing to win. That's progress for us. I will accept a 16-point loss because this would have been far worse in previous seasons.

Happy with a 16 point loss is a low bar...haha, but I totally agree!

The turnovers were frustrating. The second chances given up, specifically in the second half, were frustrating. But there were some positives, especially the effort. And just the overall mojo surrounding this team?

The past couple of years, there was just a bad energy surrounding the team, and I just didn't feel that last night.

I'm hoping this team can continue to grow and learn how to play with each other. There were some really bright spots last night and I'm just hoping they can build off of this game and start putting together some W's

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:56 pm

DTLegend wrote:Happy with a 16 point loss is a low bar...haha, but I totally agree!

I suppose it does say something about my mental state as a fan of Pilot basketball…

I’m here for the positive vibes!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down