Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021-22 Season

+9
bdaddy
Sound Voltex
Snus Junction
StudentPilot
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
up7587
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2021-22 Season - Page 5 Empty Re: 2021-22 Season

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:33 pm

On opening night all the WCC teams won except UP, LMU, and PU.

LMU was favored by at least 7 at home against Chattanooga, but the Mocs closed out the game on a 14-5 run to win 75-64.

Rice was favored over Pepperdine by 7 and outscored the Waves in the second half by 18 to win by 19, 82-64, in Houston.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11253
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:13 pm

Riverside over Arizona State… hmmmmm
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Chalupas!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Riverside over Arizona State… hmmmmm

We tired them out? Shocked
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
Dean Murdoch wrote:Riverside over Arizona State… hmmmmm

We tired them out? Shocked

Messy time management by the clock operator apparently.

Reddit wrote:First ASU hit a shot with 1.7, UCR attempted a quick inbound and they blew it dead for no reason whatsoever went to the clock to see if they could add more time, which they added none but gave UC Riverside a free timeout to setup their inbounds.

Then UCR inbounded and it went out of bounds off UCR but they started the clock before it touched anyone so they had another redo.

Then he hit the shot on the 3rd inbound.

Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Coach Hayford was placed on administrative leave yesterday...meaning their 'secret scrimmage might have been the first and last time the two coach's teams will compete on a D1 basketball court....especially if Hayford's players are refusing to play for him.
Hayford is out at Seattle U...and from what I have heard, it could not have come too soon just based upon his past behavior.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/seattle-basketball-coach-jim-hayford-resigns-after-school-investigates-alleged-use-of-racial-slur/ar-AAQC1FI?ocid=uxbndlbing
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:16 am

I noticed we have a bit of a sportsmageddon this Saturday with the men’s basketball team playing at 5:00, men’s soccer at 7:00, and women’s basketball at 7:30. All home games. Heaven for Pilot fans (although maybe stressful for follow so many teams), and stress for the Athletics department.

Good luck athletics employees (and athletes)!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

aleppiek and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:37 am

FloridaPilot wrote:Good luck athletics employees (and athletes)!
Well said, FloridaPilot.  It is a stressful time for them...and the fans too!  How are we going to race back and forth between the WBB game and the MSoc game and enjoy both and go to both Pilot Club locations?  

First-world problems!   Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Watching the SDSU/BYU game when suddenly, a former Pilot appeared...

2021-22 Season - Page 5 Tbsd10
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:48 pm

https://medium.com/wills-wcc-blog/wcc-power-rankings-12-14-2021-ed1f6555944e
5) Portland Pilots
Record: 8–3
Previous: 7th
KenPom: 294th; NET: 236th
Last week: W 78–77 vs. Cal Poly
This week: 12/15 at Oregon, 12/17 vs. San Jose State, 12/19 at Montana State

Okay, let’s be blunt about this: Portland hasn’t beaten anyone of consequence. They are 7–1 in Quad 4. Their other two D1 games? Quad 3 losses. That’s one of the least impressive 8–3 records you’ll see.

But, and this is a massive but, the Pilots are actually winning the games they’re playing. The same can not be said about any of the teams below them. Credit where it is due, and that credit lies with new coach Shantay Legans.

Will they keep this up in WCC play? Hard to say. While I just told BYU fans not to lose hope, if I’m a Pilot fan I wouldn’t hold out much hope that this is sustainable … this year at least. Legans built EWU into an NCAA Tournament team two years running (they’d have made it in 2020 had it happened). With how top heavy the WCC is, I’m not sure he can pull that off, but he clearly won’t pilot the team into the Willamette.

Also, this is a massive week for Portland. They played Cal Poly on Monday, then travel to Oregon on Wednesday, then back home for San Jose State on Friday, then to Montana State for a rematch of one of their three losses on Sunday. It’s a four game week, with an instate rival and a grudge match on the docket. A winning record here would be reason to celebrate like they haven’t in ages on The Bluff.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:21 pm

I respect Will Maupin. Does his homework and knows his stuff when it comes to WCC hoops. Obviously a little Gonzaga-centric but is still knowledgable about the rest of the conference as well.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:56 pm

The Pilots are now halfway through the WCC schedule (but actually, more than halfway since the BYU game is unlikely to be rescheduled). So far we've had leads of at least 7 points in 6 of 8 games, but have only won 2. Here is the largest lead the Pilots have held in each game:

1/13 @ USD -- led by 17 w/ 29:58 remaining, lost by 5 (OT)
1/15 @ PU -- won by 19 (largest lead of game)
1/17 @ LMU -- led by 7 w/ 25:15 remaining, lost by 12
1/22 @ BYU -- led by 8 with 34:39 remaining, lost by 13
1/27 vs UoP -- won by 8 (largest lead of the game)
1/29 @ GU -- led by 2 w/ 39:21 remaining, lost by 32
2/4 vs SMC -- led by 2 w/ 36:20 remaining, lost by 21
2/6 vs USF -- led by 7 w/ 9:05 remaining, lost by 3

The WCC looks to have three clear strata at this point:
1) GU
2) SMC, USF, Santa Clara, BYU
4) USD, LMU, Portland, Pacific, Pepperdine

If the Pilots play as well as they did on Saturday against San Francisco, there are five realistically winnable games remaining on the schedule: home against LMU, SCU, USD, and Pepperdine; and on the road at Pacific. Based on the potential I've seen from this team, I'd be disappointed with anything less than 3 more wins. That would require us beating at least one opponent we've already lost to (LMU or USD) or Santa Clara. We'll have to see some improvement in defending and extending leads if that is going to happen.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

up7587 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:16 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:If the Pilots play as well as they did on Saturday against San Francisco, there are five realistically winnable games remaining on the schedule: home against LMU, SCU, USD, and Pepperdine; and on the road at Pacific.
What I meant to say is, the Pilots look poised to knock off the Dons in San Fran on Tuesday, and the sky is the limit after that.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Rob's Jacket, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:03 pm

https://medium.com/wills-wcc-blog/wcc-power-rankings-home-stretch-edition-7f12ea19de3a

5) Portland Pilots
Record: 16–12 (6–6)
KenPom: 185th; NET: 186th
Last week: W 84–39 vs. Bushnell (NAIA), W 92–60 vs. San Diego, W 77–74 vs. Pepperdine
This week: 2/24 at Pacific, 2/26 at Santa Clara

The Pilots have won five straight games for the second time this season. They’ve won four straight WCC games as well, which is something they haven’t done since 2015. They sit here with six wins in league play, with two games to go. In five seasons under Terry Porter, the Pilots managed just seven league wins total. Regardless of what happens in their final two games, the Pilots are guaranteed to finish with their best league winning percentage since going .500 back in 2011.

Granted, they’ve done this with the second easiest schedule in the league, per KenPom, behind only Gonzaga — the Zags, by virtue of not being able to play themselves, always have the easiest path through WCC play. The Pilots have just one game each against Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s, BYU and Santa Clara this season. That said, you play the teams that are put in front of you, and Portland’s done that even when some of the teams put in front of them (cough-Santa Clara-cough) have backed out of their games. When the Broncos pulled out of last week’s make-up game, Portland went out and found an NAIA school from Eugene to play instead. No, it isn’t as cool as when San Francisco and Loyola-Chicago put together a last-second game, but the spirit is the same. Portland wants to play, and when they play they tend to win.
It’s more than just the on court results, though. It’s the entire culture in Portland. Shantay Legans is fired up on the sidelines, the players are jacked up right there with him, and the fans are starting to return to the Chiles Center (one of the more underrated mid-major venues around). There’s a winning mentality on The Bluff that hasn’t been there in a decade, and it’s rubbing off on everyone around the program. Even the Pilots’ official Twitter account is feeling the winning ways.

The Pilots were 329th in KenPom at the start of the season. They’ve climbed all the way to 185th now. Sure, that’s a lot lower than the team I have right below them, but it is a clear illustration of just how fast this program is moving in the right direction. There is serious momentum building in Portland, which looks ready to compete in the WCC for the first time in a decade. That’s the exact opposite of what’s happening at the program below, which is heading in the wrong direction in advance of moving to a better league.

Bonus:
6) BYU Cougars
Record: 19–9 (7–6)
KenPom: 52nd; NET: 55th
Last week: L 69–64 at Saint Mary’s
This week: 2/24 vs. LMU, 2/26 vs. Pepperdine

Do I think BYU is the sixth best team in the WCC? Not necessarily. Do I think they’re anything higher than fifth best, though? No.

The reason I have them in sixth, then, below Portland, has less to do with the teams’ talent, body of work and ability relative to each other and more to do with how those compare to the expectations both for these two programs, and especially in BYU’s case, the expectations within their own program.

No matter what happens in the Cougars’ final two games of the regular season, whether they win both, drop both or split them, BYU is guaranteed to have its worst conference win percentage since going 3–11 in 2005. That would also mean their worst conference win percentage as a member of the WCC.

BYU is not supposed to be anywhere near here, and yet they are.

Injuries have caught up to them. Their offense simply doesn’t work well enough and their defense has fallen off a cliff.

As it stands now, the Cougars are set to get the five seed in the WCC Tournament. That would mean they’d need four wins, including over Gonzaga in the semis, to get the automatic bid. Win out, and get some help, and the Cougars could climb to the four seed. That would give them a bye, but they’d still be on the Zags’ side of the bracket. Amazingly, the three seed is still in play if the Cougars win out AND San Francisco loses out AND Santa Clara loses out. Should that happen, the Cougars would be on the other side of the bracket from the Zags.

They could also end up on the opposite side of the bracket by falling to the six seed, which is also in play. Incredibly, the seven seed is also in play for the Cougars, though that seems far more unlikely than the unlikely scenario that would land them at the three spot. For the worst case scenario to occur, the Cougars would need to lose out AND have Portland AND San Diego win out.

There is one week left in the regular season and BYU has yet to clinch so much as a bye in the WCC Tournament. For this program to be in this position is almost unfathomable.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:47 am

Posting more content from Will Maupin.  He posted the conference-only efficiency margins are for WCC teams.  This is offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency.  There are four groupings.  And it is encouraging to see where the Pilots are.
@willmaup wrote:
GU +35.2

USF +15
SMC +14.4

SCU +1.1
PORT -1.9
BYU -2.2

USD -8.7
LMU -14.6
PAC -17.5
PEPP -21

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1366
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bullwinkle Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:29 pm

I was on hold for what seemed like hours today and while dabbling about found myself looking at the WCC Strategic Plan.  It reflects their dilemma.  
On One Side:
1.  Our Vision
The West Coast Conference competes for national titles across sports, strengthens all sports through success in men's basketball, and is recognized nationally for holistically developing student-athletes into champions in sport and as leaders in life.
2.  Goals
- Increase conference NET/RPI in all sports through flexible, innovative scheduling and championship formats that advance opportunities for national-level success across sports.
- Maximize revenue opportunities

On The Other Hand:
1. Introduction
We will achieve success through athletics programs that operate with integrity, value all voices, and offer unparalleled student-athlete experiences....We are determined to succeed.  We are determined to win - the right way and for the right reasons.
2.  Our Values
Student-First Philosophy
...Our institutions serve a formative role in educating student-athletes holistically as values-based leaders for the future.
Integrity
We govern ourselves in accordance with the values of our institutions.  We are committed to the principal of institutional control and stay abreast of and comply with all applicable NCAA legislation.  There are no shortcuts to success.  We win the right way every day.  
Collaboration and Camaraderie
Rivalries take a back seat in our collective quest for the greater good.  West Coast Conference members and the conference office staff understand the value of working together to achieve our strategic vision.  

Or perhaps to summarize:
On the one hand we have money.  
On the other we have, uhh, values.

What to choose?  What to choose?

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:21 pm

These are my values, and if you don't like them... well I have others.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:08 pm

I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that Legans just matched the entire conference win record in the Porter era and the season isn’t over
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket, Dean Murdoch and Sound Voltex like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:15 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that Legans just matched the entire conference win record in the Porter era and the season isn’t over

Need a “head exploding” emoji for this one.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:21 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that Legans just matched the entire conference win record in the Porter era and the season isn’t over

And he's doing it with a starter and a reserve he brought from EWU, three guys from the portal, two of them at their third school, and a walk-on freshman.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:09 am

With one game to go, Pilots currently #182 in KenPom and #183 in Net. I encourage you to go back and reread the first few pages of this thread. Props to StudentPilot for this reaction to a CBSSports preseason ranking article:
#317!!?

I do not expect a Coach Legans and his staff to pull off a magic act, but #317 would be only four spots up from Porter's final year according to KenPom...surely the Pilots will be better than that, don't you think?

I would expect no worse than #250, and if I am honest, I will be disappointed if the Pilots are not in the top 200 by the end of the season.

Then there is this:
DoubleDipper wrote:Plan to refer back to this from time-to-time...

2021-22 Season - Page 5 Kenpom10

The only game Pilots lost that we were predicted to win was the San Jose St. game, our worst loss of the year. I looked and they had a guy go nuts from 3P. Meanwhile there are 11 wins not expected, including all the conference wins.

Dean had this prediction nailed.
The biggest surprise of this Pilots team may be how big of a role that walk-on Chika Nduka plays.

Geezer had a good reaction, too.
My thought is if we keep shooting 50% from the field, 55% from threes, and 100% at the line we’ll be ok.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:41 am

I remember something like this earlier, and thought I'd brush up on my charting. It's been a long time.

2021-22 Season - Page 5 Kenpom16

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:50 am

Anyone know if there are any teams in the nation that have risen more in KenPom than the Pilots?

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:55 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Anyone know if there are any teams in the nation that have risen more in KenPom than the Pilots?

Middle Tennessee and Towson, both up 173 in the Kenpoms since the start of the year.

Portland is #3 at +148.

At the other end of the spectrum, shoutout to Pacific, LMU, and Pepperdine for all being in the top 10 of Kenpom fallers in the country.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

NoPoNeighbor and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:
NoPoNeighbor wrote:Anyone know if there are any teams in the nation that have risen more in KenPom than the Pilots?

Middle Tennessee and Towson, both up 173 in the Kenpoms since the start of the year.

Portland is #3 at +148.

At the other end of the spectrum, shoutout to Pacific, LMU, and Pepperdine for all being in the top 10 of Kenpom fallers in the country.

An example to follow:
heatcheckcbb.com wrote:Towson Tigers
Some of us are old enough to remember when Towson was the lovable loser of college basketball. In Pat Skerry’s first year with the Tigers, Towson went 1-31. It was such a big deal that Towson had won a game that ESPN aired a highlight of its 66-61 triumph over UNCW in late January of the 2011-12 season.

Skerry, now in Year 11 with the program, has Towson up to 70th in the NET and 71st in KenPom. With a top 50 offense nationally and an aggressive rebounding unit, the Tigers have the makings of a potential Cinderella if they can capture the Colonial trophy.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next