Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 WCC Games

+11
bullwinkle
svengalus
optimist
Aussie Baller
GoPilots19
Dean Murdoch
Geezaldinho
dholcombe
StudentPilot
Snus Junction
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2021 WCC Games Empty 2021 WCC Games

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 am

As reported earlier, UP's first WCC game, schedule to be played in Stockton on January 2, has been "postponed" while UOP pauses all basketball activities due to COVID concerns.

UP's first WCC game is now expected to be against LMU in the Chiles Center on January 7, but as of December 26 the Lions have had to pause their activities and have canceled their WCC opening game against SCU.

It is currently expected that LMU resume activities a couple of days before the UP game, but it will be close.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2021 WCC Games Empty Re: 2021 WCC Games

Post by Snus Junction Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Any chance ESPN picks up the Seattle U game?

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:04 am

Pepperdine has joined Pacific and LMU on COVID pause, and their first two WCC games against against BYU and St. Mary's have been postponed.

Pacific's game against UP scheduled for Saturday has been postponed, but LMU is expected to be ready to play in Portland next Thursday at 5pm.

EDIT: A friend of Portland State player tells me both their games at Eastern Washington this week have been postponed as EWU takes a COVID pause after at least one positive test.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:07 pm

Is it too soon to cancel the conference season and get to work finding a new coach?

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Snus Junction Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:31 pm

Thoughts on the season and new players, so far? Looks lke the strategy is get rid of all the scholarships and bring in Junior College transfers who see this as their big chance - better competition and to get noticed by other schools and maybe transfer? How else do you get new players when Terry seems to be im his last year
Related question - was there any compromise with UP “academic standards.” At times I am frustrated because the academic standards are so rigorous we cant attract players who could meet them - with tutoring - but who cant’t get admitted. Am I wrong here?

Snus Junction
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2020-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:35 pm

Do you think UP’s academic standards are higher than  Stanford or Cal?

Think again.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:03 pm

StudentPilot wrote:EDIT: A friend of Portland State player tells me both their games at Eastern Washington this week have been postponed as EWU takes a COVID pause after at least one positive test.
I'm told the PSU team rode a bus in a snowstorm to Cheney before they were informed the game was off.

In other COVID news, USD is taking its second COVID related pause of the season, and their game against BYU scheduled for tomorrow has been "postponed."  BYU's game with PU scheduled for yesterday was also postponed.

Interesting that many BYU fans are less concerned about the players and the virus, but more concerned about being in a conference that's based in California where decisions are being made by people who aren't doctors and that other WCC teams don't want to play them.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 am

Jon Rothstein wrote:Loyola Marymount will return to the gym for individual workouts today, per Stan Johnson. Team is hoping to have a full practice together on Thursday.
If true, it would seem LMU is considering their game against UP in the Chiles Center on Thursday to be a "practice."  

Seems about right... Rolling Eyes
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 am

The first NCAA NET rankings of the year are out:

#1. GU
#52 BYU
#53 SMC
#94 USF
#124 SCU
#126 LMU
#159 UOP
#215 PU
#271 PORTLAND
#288 USD

The NCAA also announced the entire men’s NCAA tournament will be played in Indiana at the end of the season.

Venues: Lucas Oil Stadium, Bankers Life, Hinkle, State Fairgrounds, Assembly at Indiana, and Mackey Arena.

March 14: Selection Sunday
April 3-5: Final Four

With the season being riddled with COVID postponements/cancelations, it's good to see the NCAA is following the example of the NBA, WNBA, NHL, and MLS by going into the "bubble."
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:58 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
Jon Rothstein wrote:Loyola Marymount will return to the gym for individual workouts today, per Stan Johnson. Team is hoping to have a full practice together on Thursday.
UPDATE: The Pilots will now be playing at USF on Thursday at 6pm.

Current schedule has the Pilots playing:

USF on ESPNU on Thursday @ 6pm
Gonzaga on ROOT Sports on Saturday @ 5pm
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:56 am

*crickets*

I know what I’ll be watching tonight, and it’s not a basketball game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:57 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:*crickets*

I know what I’ll be watching tonight, and it’s not a basketball game.

So what are you watching? You’re missing a pretty decent one here Very Happy
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Never mind
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:17 pm

My cat sleep.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:23 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:My cat sleep.
Your cat also had warm milk and valium at halftime?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:00 am

Gabapentin.

Some of us have joint pain late in life.

2021 WCC Games A1641f10

Btw,

Anything interesting going on?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Another typical Porter-Era second half last night, played well just long enough for me to get my hopes up

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:55 pm

Maybe Aussie Baller is on to something here.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm

They battled and didn’t give up against arguably the best team in the country.

That said, this just shows hoe VERY far the powers that be are going to have to go to get the program competitive in the WCC.

Hiring an assistant and giving him limited resources will doom UP to the cellar for a very long time.

It’s not a mystery this hire was coming. There has been a year to put a plan together. Our VP for athletics has his future on the line this time. There isn’t a DI school in the country that can withstand two bad hires in a row in its top revenue program.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Baller Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:14 am

Dean, i told you boys months ago, you have the best shooter going around, i coached the kid, Sad thing is, kid wont hang around in Portland, he will transfer and UP will be like WTF we didnt even play the kid. The coach has zero clue, he has a Ferrari idling sitting on the bench all year, Porter thinks Zachs a Toyota Prius
He didnt do it against Southern Utah, he hit 13 in 12 minutes vs the num 1 team in the nation. EMBARRASSING

Aussie Baller
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2020-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:30 pm

Aussie Baller wrote:Sad thing is, kid wont hang around in Portland, he will transfer and UP will be like WTF we didnt even play the kid. The coach has zero clue 
Or he could stick around until March/April to meet the new staff before making a decision.

Just based upon their performances yesterday, it would seem Chase and Zac have been working together on the scout team during practice...they looked good together.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Baller Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:58 am

He could SP, but why would he, sold a lie, and treated terribly by a coach who is 1-33 in conference play in 2 and a bit years. What would you do ?
And Zach played well with Chase because the special comments guy said so, well Zach hasnt even been on the court with Ahmad Ali, not even for 1 minute, so imagine if he was. Great coaching coach, started the same starting 5 in every game, and played them all for over 30 minutes, good job coach
Zach will play well with any point guard with IQ, saw him with Josh Giddey ( remember the name hes going top 10 in nba draft this year )in the Aussie Championship game, in the u20s in FEB, and they put on a masterclass, both hitting 25, and winning the gold medal, like i have said many times, Porter has no idea what has got and what hes doing, he is content with a 28 point loss to Gonzaga ( listen to the presser interview ) knowing Zach and the aussie attitude, he would be shattered with that, he wants to win everything.
If im Zach, im saying SEE YA, UP seem to be the only college in the US that dont like a knockdown shooter, i can tell you 300 others do

Aussie Baller
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:48 am

Aussie Baller wrote:Great coaching coach, started the same starting 5 in every game, and played them all for over 30 minutes, good job coach

I will say, I thought it was silly in the USF game when it was a 20+ point lead for the Dons with two minutes to go and the Pilots still had four starters on the floor. What's the point? Get the other guys some run.

There used to be a weekly coach show where you could text/call in with questions. I'd have been interested to hear what Coach Porter's assessment of Triplett is.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 am

Not saying that Zac doesn't deserve more burn because he has certainly shown in a limited sample size that he has a lot of tools that can be of use.

But to imply that he (or any other freshman not named Jalen Suggs) is just going to walk into a WCC squad and get starters minutes is absurd. The jump between high school ball anywhere in the world and D-1 is immense and I saw many a freshman in my time as a student at UP run into serious challenges with that jump.

The fact of the matter is that Zac came in with a bunch of JuCo guys who are older, more experienced and generally further developed players so its not a surprise to me that he is having to experience a learning curve behind these players.

Personally I hope he stays because he will definitely be utilized better by the next head coach. And magical things often happen to players development wise once they've seen the ropes.

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Baller Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm

i dont have to imply about other freshman, i can name you a few straight away.

Kobe Williamson Seattle, avg 30 mins a game, and if you said to anyone in Australia that Kobe would be playing as a SG and taking 10 shots plus a game before Zach, they would think youre smoking something. Seattle also woped the floor with UP twice.

Josh Bannan, Montana, 30 plus minutes a game, and i can keep going.

They play under coaches that play freshman, develop freshman, not sit them, play youre best team no matter, age, if Zach cant get 20-25 minutes on that roster, you guys are on the good gear.

Obviously like losing, Aussies dont like to lose, and plenty of Aussies in the WCC doing great things

Aussie Baller
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next