Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legans staff?

5 posters

Go down

Legans staff? Empty Legans staff?

Post by piloted Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Any word on assistants? Seems like that should be finalized ASAP with all the recruiting needs...

piloted
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Legans staff? Empty Re: Legans staff?

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:58 pm

Nothing official, but I've heard that Coach Legans and his two assistants, Bobby Suarez, and T.J. Lipold have been working from home in Cheney, but all three are expected to arrive in Portland this weekend.  I understand a third assistant is close to being hired, but I have no idea who it is. Both Suarez and Lipold got their first D1 coaching positions under Legans at EWU.

Legans staff? Screen67
Suarez and Lipold
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11253
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote: I understand a third assistant is close to being hired, but I have no idea who it is.
May have to wait until Coach Cantu's contract finally expires in June before they'll be able to pay him.... Razz

Speaking as a wanna-be baller, good to see a young and energetic coaching staff who are old enough to command respect of the players but young enough to identify and understand the guys.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 am

Bobby Suarez is a 2012 graduate of Florida Gulf Coast and was an assistant to Coach Legans over the past four years at EWU, and before that he was on the staff at Florida State in various positions.

This past June he was selected by the National Association of Basketball Coaches to the Under Armour 30-Under-30 Team, representing 30 of the most outstanding men's college basketball coaches under the age of 30.

At EWU Suarez assisted with player development with emphasis on guards, and he was responsible for recruiting, in-season scouting of opponents, on-court coaching.

"Bobby is a shooting star -- the sky is the limit for him as his career keeps moving forward," said Legans. "He has a great ability to relate to our players and all of our recruits. His work ethic is incredible, and we are lucky to have him on our side."

Suarez did not play college ball but during 2009-2013 was the DOBO intern and student manager to include the now famous “Dunk City” team at Florida Gulf Coast that in 2013 advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament where they defeated No. 2 seeded Georgetown and No. 7 seeded San Diego State, becoming the first No. 15 seed to advance to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

T.J. Lipold is beginning his second season as an assistant to Coach Legans after one year in that position at EWU. Before that he was the assistant director of basketball operations and video coordinator at EWU, and finally the Director of Basketball Operations where he was responsible for film breakdown, scouting reports preparation, opponent player tendencies evaluation and day-to-day team operations.

Prior to his first year as an assistant coach, Coach Legans said, "His energy and passion is infectious, and he will be a huge asset as he helps coach our defense and the big men."

Lipold graduated from Westmont College in 2012 and played for two years there and was part of back-to-back 25-win seasons.  Before Westmont, Lipold played his first two years of college basketball for Saddleback College. While at Saddleback, Lipold earned first team All-Orange Empire League on a team that won the CCAA State Championship in 2010.  After completing his master’s degree in education in 2013, he started coaching at Saddleback College, serving as an assistant coach for three years.

“Coaching at the college level has been a dream of mine from as far back as I can remember because I grew up in a gym watching my dad coach at Long Beach City College.” Lipold said.

From EWU Athletics...edited
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:16 pm

Official news.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/4/15/mens-basketball-bobby-suarez-and-t-j-lipold-join-mens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:18 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote: I understand a third assistant is close to being hired, but I have no idea who it is.
May have to wait until Coach Cantu's contract finally expires in June before they'll be able to pay him.... Razz
Hmm, no mention of a third assistant, maybe they are waiting until Cantu's contract expires.  Rolling Eyes

Because there is no face-to-face recruiting until June, Legans and his two assistants should be able to handle the recruiting/coaching load themselves, it makes sense if that is what they are doing.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:40 am

StudentPilot wrote:
Hmm, no mention of a third assistant, maybe they are waiting until Cantu's contract expires.  Rolling Eyes

oh hey

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/4/21/mens-basketball-jeremy-pope-named-mens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

Jeremy Pope has joined the University of Portland men's basketball staff as an assistant coach, first-year Pilots head coach Shantay Legans announced on Wednesday. Pope joins previously announced assistants Bobby Suarez and T.J. Lipold to comprise Legans' coaching staff on The Bluff.

"Jeremy is a craftsman that has proven himself as an excellent talent evaluator and developer of young men," Legans said. "He has built a great resume in a short amount of time working with high-level players and programs at the collegiate, club and prep levels. Jeremy's energy and passion fits exactly with our program mentality and he will hit the ground sprinting."

"I'm elated at the opportunity presented to me by Coach Legans, who I've known half my life, to help rebuild the University of Portland basketball program," Pope said. "The university, community and city deserve a program that they can be proud of, and our mission is to do just that. It is an exciting time for everyone invested!

"We will work tirelessly to put a staff and roster together that will help bring our vision for the program to fruition. We have all come from winning programs and understand what steps need to be taken, as evidenced in what Coach Legans has done during his time at Eastern Washington."

Pope most recently served this past season as an assistant coach at Arizona Compass Prep (AZCP), one of the elite basketball prep schools in the nation. Pope was an assistant coach for Ed Gipson on a team that graduated six players moving on to Division I basketball next season.

AZCP went undefeated in league play, won a Grind Session championship and qualified for the 2021 Geico High School Nationals as the overall No. 4 seed. The team dropped a 51-49 decision to No. 1 Montverde Academy in the semifinals to finish the year with a 30-2 record. The only two losses came against Montverde, with the first an overtime defeat on the road.

Prior to his stop in Arizona, Pope spent two seasons at Orangeville Prep in Ontario, Canada as an assistant coach under Tony McIntyre. Considered the top prep program in the country, Orangeville graduated seven kids that went on to play Division I basketball during Pope's time on staff, went undefeated in all competitions and won the Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association championship. Notable alumni from Orangeville include current NBA players Jamal Murray, Luguentz Dort and Thon Maker.

Pope also was an assistant coach for the NIKE Bounce Basketball Clubs U-17 and U-16 EYBL teams during his tenure in Canada.

A graduate manager at the University of Washington under head coach Mike Hopkins in 2017, Pope helped with numerous facets of the program including on-court skill development, scouting, film breakdown, scheduling and student-athlete management. The Huskies finished the 2017-18 season with 21 wins, qualified for the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) and two players from the team would go on to play in the NBA.

Pope's coaching journey began as a volunteer assistant at his alma mater, Mayfair High School in Los Angeles in 2013. He also coached AAU for the Los Angeles Rockfish for two years following his collegiate basketball playing career.

After playing two seasons at Cerritos College, Pope had a brief stop at San Jose State and then concluded his playing career with one year at Biola University.

He earned his undergraduate degree from Cal State, Los Angeles in 2017 and then secured a Master of Education in Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership and Coaching from the University of Washington in 2018.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:29 am

Jeremy Pope wrote:I’m BLESSED! Can’t put into words how much this means to me. A great opportunity awaits us all! Excited to join @CoachLegans, the staff, SA’s & administration, as we work to bring this program back towards the top of the WCC! #GoPilots #WeArePortland @PilotHoops
Pooh Jeter wrote:My bro!! Crazy proud of you champ @CoachJPope. Salute @CoachLegans

This podcast is way too long at over an hour, but watching it in bits you learn a lot about UP Assistant Coach Jeremy Pope.

Welcome Jeremy, excited to have you aboard!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:37 pm

Pope most recently served this past season as an assistant coach at Arizona Compass Prep (AZCP), one of the elite basketball prep schools in the nation. Pope was an assistant coach for Ed Gipson on a team that graduated six players moving on to Division I basketball next season.

Arizona Compass Prep is also where TyTy Washington, a 2021 recruit that recently cut Portland out of his final choices, hails from.

Can't get a 4 star, well then just get...his assistant coach?
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue May 11, 2021 12:32 pm

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/5/10/mens-basketball-perin-foote-named-director-of-basketball-operations.aspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – University of Portland has named Perin Foote as the next Director of Basketball Operations, first-year Pilots head coach Shantay Legans announced. Foote joins previously announced assistant coaches Bobby Suarez, T.J. Lipold and Jeremy Pope to comprise Legans' staff.

"Perin brings energy and a willingness do all the little things to help our program grow," Legans said. "Like everyone on our staff, he has come from winning programs and understands how hard we work and what it takes to make Portland Basketball thrive. Our guys are going to enjoy his presence, passion and positive attitude."

"I am extremely excited and thankful to be a part of the University of Portland community and men's basketball staff," Foote said. "The opportunity that Coach Legans and the University presented is humbling and rewarding. I am ready to get to work with our tremendous staff. We all have a vision of winning and bringing great success here to UP."

Foote has a wealth of experiencing working in basketball, holding positions at both the college and professional level. Most recently, Foote was the student-athlete development coordinator as a graduate assistant at Cleveland State, dealing with day-to-day operations and on-court skill development. Foote also earned a Master of Education in Sport Management from Cleveland State.

The Roswell, Ga. native was the men's basketball manager for the Florida State Seminoles during his time as undergraduate, working with head basketball coach Leonard Hamilton for four years from 2016 to 2020. Foote helped run Hamilton's summer basketball camp during his time there and assisted with Winthrop University's summer camp as a coach in 2017.

Foote also spent one summer assisting with the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks Las Vegas Summer League team in 2019, helping coordinate day-to-day operations.

Foote also held several roles assisting with USA Basketball. He has worked as a support staff member for summer camps at the U-14, U-15, U-16, U-17 and U-18 levels and assisted the USA senior team in the summer of 2019. Foote was also a volunteer assistant coach for the Showtime Ballers AAU program for two years.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:11 am

Coach Legans' staff just got a lot taller and better educated with the hiring of 6-8/250 Aleks Abrams as the Director of Basketball Operations.  

Aleks, from Newbury Park, California, played at Cal Poly for three years before grad-transferring to Miami (Ohio) where he played a year while getting a graduate degree in kinesiology.  Most recently Aleks was a graduate assistant at Santa Clara where he got another master’s degree, this time in psychology.

Aleks may not be the tallest ever UP DOBO at 6-8 (former UP star and DOBO Kramer Knutson is 6-9), but if he is close to his roster weight of 250lbs at Miami, he is certainly the biggest!  

Legans staff? Abrams10

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/6/28/mens-basketball-aleks-abrams-named-director-of-basketball-operations-for-pilot-hoops.aspx

(The previously announced DOBO, Perrin Foote, left the job after a few days for personal reasons.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Coach Legans has hired another former EWU staffer.
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/8/18/mens-basketball-thomas-moore-joins-pilot-hoops-as-the-video-coordinator.aspx

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1366
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:12 am

Meet Assistant Coach Jeremy Pope...

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend