Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDSU

+15
keeper
ejjqb
color me purple
estplnr
UPPilots
Auto-Pilot
GUPhantom
fan from afar
FANatic
purple haze
OldePilot
UPSoccerFanatic
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
A_Fan
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SDSU Empty SDSU

Post by A_Fan Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Anyone have any insights into the Aztec's? There doesn't seem to be any audio or video coverage of tomorrow's game, at least not that I can find.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

SDSU Empty Re: SDSU

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Burning question... If the NCAA can stop the fighting Sioux from being used, how come they didn't go after the SDSU Aztecs?

The venue is sort of interesting. It's called the Sports Deck, and is just that, a natural grass surface on the top deck of a parking garage. It has a track around it, and seats about 1,000.

SDSU 1650139

SDSU is interesting, too. They seem to play to their opposition, beating hapless Arizona 1-0, losing to Cal 1-2, and then beating what was projected to be a contender in the Big10 Minnesota 2-1 last night.

Their RPI in 2009 was in the 20's, then jumped to the 90's last year, so it's not clear what sort of game they will give us.

UP, of course, is still a work in progress with the new starters.  Let's hope it is a stepping stone to being where we want to be.

Still looking for a way to get live coverage, haven't found one yet.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I think @wpsdude will be there. He might have some updates.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

SDSU Empty Noon Start Time, LiveStats for Game

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:22 am

The game time changed to noon (from 1:00 pm).

About all I can find is that it appears there will be LiveStats here: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=2137
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:52 am

Anyone going to be in the chatbox come game time?
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:48 pm

The stats appear a little slanted at this point...particularly the 5-0 foul count.
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:52 pm

UP is down 0-1 at the half and is credited with only 2 shots versus 6 for SDSU. It's time for a second-half surge!
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:54 pm

I would hope so... pale
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Cripes! The live stats just hit 90 minutes and the score ends 0-1. That hurts. The road can be a cruel place.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm

All over. SDSU 1, Pilots nil Sad
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:58 pm

I missed the first two games (traveling), but so far, I don't like the way we are being outshot - 2 of 3 games so far. It doesn't sound like we are controlling games like in the past.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:14 pm

there will be some shakeups for sure. we need to get better chances for our forwards, or at least start shooting. the games up here players were passing up a lot of chances for the perfect shot.

sure would like to hear a game report from someone who was there
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:38 pm

You sure you really want a report from someone who was there, Geez?

Might make you cry.

It is not unusual for the Pilots to stumble early, especially after losing such a great group of seniors.

Give them a few games to figure it out. After that, we'll know whether we have a "real" problem or not.

FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:13 pm

The margin of error is slim so far for this year's squad. The official story on portlandpilots.com says Sippel hit the post in the 2nd half. Whatever the post-mortem from San Diego, it's time for the team to get ready for next weekend and 2 more road games.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:39 pm

The loss to SDSU was not a surprise. There have been a few signs I've noticed and worried about during the FSU and WSU matches. The team's performance seems to be anemic. Un-energenic? But maybe more....un-purposeful? Is there an underlying shift in style of play? Or is it just plain ole team chemistry that's still in-development? I don't know. It's very un-Pilot like for sure?

Offensive possession has typically been the Pilot defense. But, passing at the start of this season is not quite up to snuff yet. We can't maintain offensive surges. There's been very few threats in the box. How often have we reached the box? We're used to making our living in there!? Plus we just seemed to get de-possessed more easier and a lot more frequently. Or is it just me who observes that?

Anyway....we seem to do a lot more of the watching and chasing in recent matches. What's missing? I think someone with dribbling...ball at the feet skills. That may come with confidence but many don't look like they're confident with the ball yet.

I agree with Gez...a shakeup in the lineup is probably eminent. There's some intangible stuff missing. The team needs an infusion of energetic, all-out play. We haven't been dictating play the last 2 matches. The team seems to be stuck on waiting or responding to play..... instead of making it happen? The learning curve is short. Good Pac-12 teams are on the horizon. OSU, UW, Standford and USC coming up.

Go Pilots!!!

GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:29 pm

I'd have to agree 100% with FANatic. Anyone who has played a team sport knows it takes time for a team that has lost so many key players to get everyone working smoothly as a unit. The coaching staff has plenty of experience, they will see to it that the team comes around.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Pilot Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 am

All White Kit recap:
---
San Diego State 1 (Hurst 25′) – 0 Portland

Jackpot. San Diego State gets a brilliant and deserved win on home turf against Portland to put themselves in a fantastic position to garner an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament come November. The Aztecs are just a massively different team with senior Cat Walker prowling about, and though she didn’t put any of her five shots on goal, the SDSU talisman was still massively impressive according to first-hand accounts of the match. Perhaps even more impressive was the job that the Aztecs did on the Portland offense. Danielle Foxhoven and Micaela Capelle were both held without a single shot on goal, and Portland only managed two shots on goal period on the afternoon. This display only has to raise the stock of SDSU senior defender Megan McQueeny even more. The Aztecs are a tough, tough team to play at the Sports Deck, and have another chance to pick up a big win next weekend against UCF in a fantastic mid-major showdown.

Portland’s going to be an adventure to follow again I feel. You just get the sense that this Pilots team is going to be involved in a lot of close games against big opposition over the course of this season. For whatever reason, Portland’s offense just has not been able to bust loose most of the time since the beginning of last season, and the Pilots were lethargic on the road for the most part against the Aztecs. Rookie Emily Sippel did manage to whack the post in the second half, but managing just two shots on goal over the course of ninety minutes simply isn’t going to get it done against tougher opposition. Questions have to be asked about keeper Hailee DeYoung as well after a gaffe that saw her come out to grab a loose ball in the area but grasp nothing but air, leading to Tiffany Hurst prodding the ball home for the deciding goal. Seattle’s a decent side, but Portland should be able to sweep them aside next weekend before another big time mid-major encounter with a hungry Boston University side in Seattle.
---

It seems to me that the Pilots haven't been as agressive as they need to be. Too often they wait for the ball to come to them and get it taken away by an opposing player rushing in and beating them to it.
Auto-Pilot
Auto-Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-10-04

https://www.facebook.com/casero

Back to top Go down

Post by UPPilots Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 am

The Pilots possession is normally maintained by 3 players, their 2 outside back and the holding mid. With Keelin, Jess, and Elli gone, they need girls to step up and take those roles, and I think they will continue to struggle until they do so, but it may come with time. The problem is that in years past, the Pilots would have so much possession of the ball that it would hide a lot of defense frailties. This year, without that possession, the backline seems to be put under a little bit more pressure than normal.
Lastly, the Pilots have always had the one go-to player that will put the team on her back and make sure the Pilots win someway, somehow. Meg was a good example, and Sophie was that person last year. I just don't see that person on the team this year.

UPPilots
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 am

As many have noted, it really is a combination of things. Some incredible talent graduated last May. When you have that kind of senior strength on the pitch (or field, or court), the inexperience and occasional mistakes of the younger players are disguised a bit. Add the short and long term injuries, specifically Cloee and KJ, to that scenario and the job gets tougher.

I really believe another factor, one in which the Pilots deserve some credit, is that the entire women's soccer game is better...across the board. The PSUs (not Penn State Very Happy ) of the world are formidable contenders, not just a timed scrimmage. There is a reason that the Mighty Macs don't win the NCAA Women's b-ball tourney any more.

Keep the faith. We are the U of P!
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

SDSU Empty Is it possible that the coaching staff is floundering

Post by estplnr Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:52 am

with identification of who belongs/deserves to be on the pitch at any given time?

estplnr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 pm

How a team plays is often directly related to how they are coached. If they are inspired and motivated in practice they will play inspired and motivated in games. Leadership matters.
In addition, I firmly believe that you have to give players game time where possible so you provide for player development in the following years. It has not been Portland's philosophy to do so. What ends up happening (IMO) is you lose a number of very good players and then you start the following year with players who have not benefited from playtime in previous years. In addition, you need to be creative with the players you have. You can't rely on the same style of play if you don't have the players to support that style. Many coaches will change the style of play to adapt to the players they have. This happens all the time in professional sports.

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Beyond the freshmen I'm wondering which players who have started this year you think didn't get playing time last year? Let's look at the facts:

Games played in 2010 - Frisbee 10, Parker 13, Bridges 17, Oliver 16, McCluskie 14, Nelson 7. All the other players who have started this year are freshman or played in 20+ of the 22 games last year. Beyond Emma, everyone seems to have played in a fair number of games.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

All White Kit recap:

Wink ....Those were exactly the same points I observed and posted!?

UPPilots
Meg was a good example, and Sophie was that person last year. I just don't see that person on the team this year.

I agree. M Rapinoe, Sophie...(and might I add)...A Woznuk and M Enyeart. They were the playmakers. They made things happen and carried the team along. They were able to elevate their teammate's play. I like Dani and do see her at the team's leader. But, she's more of a finisher... cleaning up what the former 4 players listed can start.

As far as energy...gotta love Halley and Taylor! They play their hearts out. Going hard all the time...ALL-Out....defense and offense.
I'd like to see the rest of the team rise to their efforts on the pitch.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm

A_Fan Perhaps I should clarify my point more clearly. It's not how many games each player played. One can show stats any way they choose. What I'm referring to is actual development of a player in a particular position. For instance, many times last year both Ellie and Jess initiated the offense by the thier agressiveness as outside backs. I don't remember too many times if ever that either Jess or Ellie came out, even in games that were very lopsided. All I'm saying is that those important positions are hard to master and it would have been beneficial to have given other players time at those postions last year so that we would have more experience at those postions.

Go Pilots

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 pm

color me purple wrote:A_Fan Perhaps I should clarify my point more clearly. It's not how many games each player played. One can show stats any way they choose. What I'm referring to is actual development of a player in a particular position. For instance, many times last year both Ellie and Jess initiated the offense by the thier agressiveness as outside backs. I don't remember too many times if ever that either Jess or Ellie came out, even in games that were very lopsided. All I'm saying is that those important positions are hard to master and it would have been beneficial to have given other players time at those postions last year so that we would have more experience at those postions.

Go Pilots
I see what you're saying here. I wish college stats tracked minutes played for field players because Elli and Jess would have been among the leaders if not the top two.

So this year's outside backs are going to need some time to get used to a new position. I look forward to seeing how things progress. These things have a way of working out in Portland.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next