Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Team for 2021-22

+19
Fox Mulder
PilotFan66
up7587
aleppiek
Shadrach
mikemac65
ExpatPilot
DTLegend
GoPilots19
lomiton
Geezaldinho
Coachnm
Stonehouse
bullwinkle
Sound Voltex
bdaddy
Dean Murdoch
StudentPilot
DoubleDipper
23 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The NEW Team for 2021-22 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Team for 2021-22

Post by Sound Voltex Mon May 03, 2021 6:09 pm

lomiton wrote:
Unless Dut ends up playing at a WCC school it doesn't particularly matter at this point.

No WCC schools so far.

@JucoRecruiting wrote:6’4 G Deng Dut (2021) of Southern Idaho has heard from the following schools today

Creighton
Georgia
St Johns
Wyoming
New Mexico
San Jose State
Sam Houston State
Louisiana Lafayette
UC Davis
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

lomiton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 04, 2021 8:18 am

DoubleDipper wrote: I don't think there is much doubt his JUCO coach is the one who encouraged Dut to get his release from UP.
Although there may still be a few unscrupulous coaches out there, a kid who has already signed a NLI will not be contacted directly by other schools, but instead those other schools will contact the kid's JUCO or AAU or HS coach saying, "hey, you know your kid could do a lot better coming to my school instead of Portland."
Dean Murdoch wrote:And JUCO coaches absolutely get “bonus points” for sending kids to P12 schools instead of the Idaho States of the world.
When Dut goes to a major, or even a high major, his JUCO coach will have increased recruiting power by pointing out he had a kid who was going to Portland, but under his tutelage developed so well he was recruited by Georgia or St. John's or a similar school.  Going to Portland would be okay because it is a D1 school, but...

Dut's change of mind has nothing to do with a lack of effort on Coach Legans' part as keeping Dut was one of his priorities, instead it was all about major programs encouraging his JUCO coach to encourage Dut to get his release so he could go to a more "prestigious" basketball school.
lomiton wrote:Unless Dut ends up playing at a WCC school it doesn't particularly matter at this point.
Yup!  I had already moved on until I read this:
lomiton wrote:The response was to the assertion by the original poster that his CSI coaches talked Dut out of not honoring his oral commitment to Portland.  Not buying it.
A.) Those were not my words. B.) It was a written commitment! C.) Dut’s coach was almost certainly the only conduit between other schools and Dut.

Okay, now I’m ready to move on…and honestly, I hope Deng Dut goes to a high major and does well...he deserves the chance to follow his dreams and go to the highest level he can.  Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11290
Registration date : 2011-11-03

StudentPilot and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 am

I know of two former Pilots (I'm told there were more) who played during the Porter era whose high school coaches were being contacted by D1 schools encouraging them to encourage the two players to enter the transfer portal so they could change schools.

Both eventually entered the transfer portal, and both were much more successful playing at the other D1 schools which were also less academically rigorous.  silent

Apparently this is a very common practice with the advent of the transfer portal.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote: I don't think there is much doubt his JUCO coach is the one who encouraged Dut to get his release from UP.
Although there may still be a few unscrupulous coaches out there, a kid who has already signed a NLI will not be contacted directly by other schools, but instead those other schools will contact the kid's JUCO or AAU or HS coach saying, "hey, you know your kid could do a lot better coming to my school instead of Portland."
Dean Murdoch wrote:And JUCO coaches absolutely get “bonus points” for sending kids to P12 schools instead of the Idaho States of the world.
When Dut goes to a major, or even a high major, his JUCO coach will have increased recruiting power by pointing out he had a kid who was going to Portland, but under his tutelage developed so well he was recruited by Georgia or St. John's or a similar school.  Going to Portland would be okay because it is a D1 school, but...

Dut's change of mind has nothing to do with a lack of effort on Coach Legans' part as keeping Dut was one of his priorities, instead it was all about major programs encouraging his JUCO coach to encourage Dut to get his release so he could go to a more "prestigious" basketball school.
lomiton wrote:Unless Dut ends up playing at a WCC school it doesn't particularly matter at this point.
Yup!  I had already moved on until I read this:
lomiton wrote:The response was to the assertion by the original poster that his CSI coaches talked Dut out of not honoring his oral commitment to Portland.  Not buying it.
A.) Those were not my words. B.) It was a written commitment! C.) Dut’s coach was almost certainly the only conduit between other schools and Dut.

Okay, now I’m ready to move on…and honestly, I hope Deng Dut goes to a high major and does well...he deserves the chance to follow his dreams and go to the highest level he can.  Basketball

Dipper, I am ready to move on myself...HOWEVER, we are going to address one more thing:

who has already signed a NLI will not be contacted directly by other schools, but instead those other schools will contact the kid's JUCO or AAU or HS coach saying, "hey, you know your kid could do a lot better coming to my school instead of Portland."

instead it was all about major programs encouraging his JUCO coach to encourage Dut to get his release so he could go to a more "prestigious" basketball school.

C.) Dut’s coach was almost certainly the only conduit between other schools and Dut.

These assertions above are flat out wrong. I don't doubt that the AAU or High School coach plays the chief conduit for the back channel but NOT any successful JUCO coach/program.

A successful JUCO program, like Souhtern Idaho, does minimal recruiting. They get their best players from unofficial arrangements with certain big time D1 programs who believe a kid they like is a player, but not ready for prime time. Prime time being either on the floor, in the class room or below a certain maturity level. These players are pushed in this direction by the D1 school to let them grow "off the grid."  When the players are ready, the D1 program (provided the same staff is in place) takes them back. If a JUCO program doesn't return the player the same D1 program, the D1 program finds a new stash house to house there guys.

The rest of the players in a successful JUCO program send resumes to join because they know if a JUCO squad has loan outs aboard, he knows a) the big time programs will have their coaches looking in on development of their guys and maybe, might notice them and b) that program is going to win, which means they are going to the nationals where again, it's where ALL the various programs go who need players.

Finally, a few local kids to keep the tax payers happy.

It's not worth it to CSI coach Jeff Reinert to be any way involved with moving a Deng Dut away from Shantay Legans or any program where one of his players are committed to because it's going to look better on his resume. Check out the history of CSI basketball and where their players go. The fact he may go to Georgia instead of Portland is a drop in the Snake River to CSI. $1000 that Reinert would rather have a relationship with a coach on the upward path (Legans) than put an SEC school on his web page resume.

If the player decides to go elsewhere it's on the player or the university, period. Whatever they hear about other interest they hear from someone in their past that they trust, like the AAU coach, HS coach or who knows, their minister. If the coaches have changed, it's their job to keep that relationship cemented in. Sometimes it's not possible, sometimes they don't think it's worth the effort. Dipper I'm guessing you know this side of the story much better and I will stipulate to your insider knowledge on that.

Go Pilots!

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 04, 2021 5:55 pm

lomiton wrote: If the coaches have changed, it's their job to keep that relationship cemented in. Sometimes it's not possible, sometimes they don't think it's worth the effort.
In Dut's case it is definitely worth the effort, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us if we were to learn Coach Legans continues to recruit him despite releasing him from his NLI.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Confirmed, Jack Perry 6-2 Point Guard and Grad Student from Melbourne has signed with Portland.
Today the Pilots added Perry to the official roster:

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/5/4/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-adds-ewu-grad-transfer-jack-perry.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
lomiton wrote: If the coaches have changed, it's their job to keep that relationship cemented in. Sometimes it's not possible, sometimes they don't think it's worth the effort.
In Dut's case it is definitely worth the effort, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us if we were to learn Coach Legans continues to recruit him despite releasing him from his NLI.

We shouldn't expect anything less. After all, Dut was sold on the place once...and at a time when there was heck of a lot less going for it.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Confirmed by UP Athletics, Georgia Tech/UTEP transfer Kristian Sjolund coming (home) to The Bluff...
Coach Legans wrote:Kristian will be one of the top shooters I have coached or will ever coach
It turns out Kristian was born in Vancouver USA.

It is not mentioned in the article, but his first cousin, Annika Farley, is a member of the UP women's soccer team.

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/5/7/mens-basketball-utep-transfer-kristian-sjolund-coming-to-the-bluff.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm

JucoRecruiting.com wrote:6’4 G Deng Dut (2021) of Southern Idaho has committed to Wyoming
scratch

Where he will get to play against Coach Ben Johnson and San Jose St. twice a year...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 07, 2021 4:54 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
JucoRecruiting.com wrote:6’4 G Deng Dut (2021) of Southern Idaho has committed to Wyoming
scratch

Where he will get to play against Coach Ben Johnson and San Jose St. twice a year...

Why the puzzlement? Check and see if there is a Laramie car dealer who is a Wyoming booster. It worked with Seattle and that other Idaho school Razz
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue May 11, 2021 10:45 am

Maybe I missed it in all the threads, but I hadn't seen this name come up. Welcome Moses!

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/5/11/mens-basketball-pilots-sign-versatile-unlv-forward-moses-wood.aspx

University of Portland men's basketball has added Moses Wood as a graduate transfer to the program, head coach Shantay Legans announced. Wood (6-8, 210) joins the Pilots after spending the last two seasons at UNLV and will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in the fall of 2021.

"Moses is a dynamic and versatile player that will thrive in our system," Legans said. "He is a good athlete with strong ball skills for his size. Moses has great shooting ability and a good feel both around the basket and out on the perimeter. His length will help us defensively and he will be a great add to the locker room. We're excited to get him on campus and get to work this summer."
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 am

Beat me to it! I hadn't seen his name come up either, but it sounds like a solid player who should see a lot of playing time and a big role in the team.

Read through the story, and it sounds like the Legans sold Wood on the culture he was trying to build. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a Coach, and staff, who have a clear vision of what the culture they want to build and that can find the guys that fit that vision.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue May 11, 2021 11:26 am

DoubleDipper wrote: ....with just 4 scholarships to fill, I'm guessing we can expect one more guard and three post players in the 6-8 to 7-0 range.
Okay, one 6-8 to 7-0 range guy down, and two to go?

At 6-8 and versatile, the same description that was given to recent signee Kristian Sjølund, it would appear the Pilots will be playing a pretty wide open offense and will have very mobile guys who can play both the high post and the wings.

The article describes Wood as the seventh newcomer to join the Pilots.  So with Curtiss the only remaining player from last season, wouldn't that mean there are still 5 scholarships remaining?

Also, I noticed that Nikola Milosevic's name is now missing from the "official" roster on the UP website. scratch
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 11, 2021 11:58 am

StudentPilot wrote:The article describes Wood as the seventh newcomer to join the Pilots.  So with Curtiss the only remaining player from last season, wouldn't that mean there are still 5 scholarships remaining?

Also, I noticed that Nikola Milosevic's name is now missing from the "official" roster on the UP website. scratch
Yes, I guess "officially" there are 5 scholarships remaining, but based upon more than one online source, I believe two of the scholarships have been taken by Nikola Milosevic from Montenegro and "Chris" Fan from China.

And yes, Milosevic was once on the "official" roster, but I think what UP is now doing is introducing players through articles like we've recently seen on Perry, Sjolund, and Wood...and Milosevic will eventually be introduced.

I admit I may have jumped the gun on the 6-8 Fan knowing he was a EWU signee and then all of sudden he wasn't when Coach Legans came to UP, but I think he too will eventually be introduced.  I cannot recall if I mentioned it before, but Fan was going to school in the US but went back to China when the pandemic broke out here and did not play basketball this past season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote: ....with just 4 scholarships to fill, I'm guessing we can expect one more guard and three post players in the 6-8 to 7-0 range.
Okay, one 6-8 to 7-0 range guy down, and two to go?
Yes, I am still of the opinion the Pilots will add two more in the 6-10 to 7-0 range, or less specifically, at least two more tall guys.   Laughing

Fun tidbits:  Sjolund from Norway was born in Vancouver, USA and Wood from Reno, was born in Limoges, France...his dad was playing professional basketball there.

Sjolund was an ESPN 4-Star out of high school, and Wood was an ESPN 3-Star...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I admit I may have jumped the gun on the 6-8 Fan knowing he was a EWU signee and then all of sudden he wasn't when Coach Legans came to UP, but I think he too will eventually be introduced.  
I was able to find two pictures of 6-8 forward “Chris” Fan, who may or may not have signed with UP.   Laughing

Not sure if the photos are evidence he is not a good free-throw shooter, but in each he appears to be hacked (Hack-a-Shaq?) pretty hard.

As mentioned, Fan attended Modesto Christian School, signed a NLI with EWU and was then released from it when Legans came to UP, and there has been no further news. I guess we will just have to wait and see if we hear something from UP.

The NEW Team for 2021-22 - Page 3 Screen13The NEW Team for 2021-22 - Page 3 Screen14
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue May 11, 2021 9:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Sjolund was an ESPN 4-Star out of high school, and Wood was an ESPN 3-Star...

I know these rankings are usually a waste of time, but would that not make these two our highest ever rated recruits? I recall Kevin Bailey was a 3-star and it seemed like a total coup that we landed him.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Sjolund was an ESPN 4-Star out of high school, and Wood was an ESPN 3-Star...

I know these rankings are usually a waste of time, but would that not make these two our highest ever rated recruits? I recall Kevin Bailey was a 3-star and it seemed like a total coup that we landed him.

Shaver Jr. was also a 3-star.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:I know these rankings are usually a waste of time, but would that not make these two our highest ever rated recruits? I recall Kevin Bailey was a 3-star and it seemed like a total coup that we landed him.
Yes, as I recall Kevin Bailey was an ESPN 3-Star as were Marcus Shaver and Chase Adams.  Rashad Jackson was not rated by ESPN but was a Scout 3-Star.  I do not recall a 4-Star on the UP roster until now.  It is interesting that Shaver, Adams, and Jackson left the program with eligibility remaining.

(My favorite UP 2-year player of the 21st-Century is T.J. Campbell, whom I thought should have been a 3-Star, but he was an Arizona All-State football and basketball player, and it was thought he would pursue a football career. Evil or Very Mad
T.J. is currently in his 11th year of professional basketball and plays for Real Betis based in Sevilla, Spain and is playing in the Liga ACB, the top league in Spain).

It would seem from their records to this point that neither Sjolund or Wood have played to the potential they were thought to have out of high school...perhaps a culture shift, more playing time, and better coaching will remedy that. Basketball
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Yes, I am still of the opinion the Pilots will add two more in the 6-10 to 7-0 range, or less specifically, at least two more tall guys.   Laughing
Boom, and up pops Mateus Silveira, 7-0/255 from Brazil, a transfer from Austin Peay and Pensacola St...

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/5/12/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-adds-7-footer-matheus-silveira.aspx
"Matheus has a ton of potential," Portland head coach Shantay Legans said. "He moves well, has a soft touch around the rim and will provide a big presence in the paint at both ends of the court. Matheus will thrive in our developmental system. He is passionate about improvement and we are excited to see him reach his potential here at Portland."

"I felt a really good connection to Coach Legans," Silveira said about why he chose Portland. "He's got that fire and is willing to help me achieve whatever my dream is. There's no boundaries I feel when it comes to him helping you earn what you want to achieve, and I feel like he will hold you accountable for that at all times."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Thu May 13, 2021 11:06 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:Yes, I am still of the opinion the Pilots will add two more in the 6-10 to 7-0 range, or less specifically, at least two more tall guys.   Laughing
Boom, and up pops Mateus Silveira, 7-0/255 from Brazil, a transfer from Austin Peay and Pensacola St...
Okay, one 6-8 and a 7-0 down, and still one more tall guy to go?    Shocked

It seems Silveira is likely a "project," but Coach Legans and his staff had a good record of turning unknowns into very good players while at EWU.    

Silveira took a medical redshirt his first year at Austin Peay, but most really tall guys have some difficulty until their bodies mature and gets stronger.  Fingers crossed, but at 21 years-old with three years of eligibility ahead of him, Silveira could be the back-to-the-basket low post UP has needed.  Now, if he can learn to be effective at the high post too...

Has UP had a true 7-footer before?  Seems to me Jacob Tryon was listed at 7-0 when he arrived, but shrunk to 6-11 his second year as a Pilot...and Silveira is almost 50 pounds heavier!

Last edited by StudentPilot on Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu May 13, 2021 12:23 pm

DD wrote: Has UP had a true 7-footer before?

We had one in 2019-2020 listed at 7’1”. Cody Collinsworth hit 50% of his shots, all three pointers.

Ok, so he logged 7 minutes over two games and was 1 for 2 from the field for three points in his pilot career.

Philipp Hartwich (2014-2017 ) is listed now at 7’2” by pro ballers. He’s still playing in Germany.
Jacob Tryon (2018-2019) is listed at 7’0” by pro ballers, though Samford is listing him at 6’11”.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemac65 Thu May 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Mateus will be, at least, the 2nd Brazilian to play hoops for the Pilots. Luis Lage played for Jack Avina for one yea in, I recollect, in the early 80's?

mikemac65
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm

mikemac65 wrote:Mateus will be, at least, the 2nd Brazilian to play hoops for the Pilots.  Luis Lage played for Jack Avina for one yea in, I recollect, in the early 80's?
Thanks for that mikemac, I was wondering if UP MBB had ever had a Brazilian on the squad.  Good memory, as he played only limited minutes during his one year on The Bluff.

I looked him up, and Luiz Lage played on the 1978-79 team that included Rick Raivio, Darwin Cook, and Jose Slaughter.  

At one time he played for the same team professionally that Silveira played on as an amateur, Minas Tenis Clube.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadrach Thu May 13, 2021 9:27 pm

OK, I'm searching my memory bank right now. In the mid-to-late 1980's or early 1990's UP had a 7'5" basketball player named Peter Gudmannsen (sp?). I think he was from Norway or Sweden or one of those countries. He lived in Christie Hall and could not fit in the typical bed provided in the dorm room. I remember the UP Carpenter Shop taking a special interest in Peter's situation and built him an 8 foot bed. I ordered the mattress from a local provider and Peter was in business. He could not believe his good fortune and how special it was for the Carpenter Shop guys to build a bed for him. Peter stayed at UP for 2 years (not sure if he was on the team the whole time) but when he left UP we gave him the bed and mattress to take with him. I don't think we ever had another player that tall. Go Pilots!

Shadrach
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next