Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baseball 2021

5 posters

Go down

Baseball 2021 Empty Baseball 2021

Post by PilotFan66 Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:58 pm

It is baseball season, and the Pilots are tied for third in the WCC. Are spectators allowed at the home games? Or can we be members of the "Knot-Hole Gang", watching from outside the fences. In the first part of May the Pilots have home games against Pepperdine and league-leading Gonzaga. We always enjoyed watching the Pilots in a sunny May afternoon.

PilotFan66
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Baseball 2021 Empty Re: Baseball 2021

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:20 am

Outdoor Entertainment Establishments
(includes zoos, outdoor gardens, amphitheaters, outdoor aquariums, outdoor theaters/stadiums)

Extreme risk
   Maximum 50 people
• 11:00 p.m. closing time

The governor just upgraded ( downgraded?) Multnomah County to the “extreme risk “ category, which means a limit of 50 fans. Better call the ticket office.

Interesting restriction. This means McPete’s, the local pub down the street can have the same number of people in its outdoor tent as Providence Park for a Timber’s game.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:42 am

Geezaldinho wrote: Better call the ticket office..
That would be my advice, call the box office.

Last time I spoke with Dave Taylor, the only people allowed in the seats were family members of the players and coaches.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11253
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 04, 2021 6:02 pm

From UP Athletics 2 hours ago:
PORTLAND, Ore. – In accordance with state and local guidelines, the University of Portland baseball team's weekend series against the Pepperdine Waves will have attendance limited to family of University of Portland student-athletes and coaches and essential on-campus staff.

This is to ensure the University's full compliance with the state with Multnomah County recently returning to "Extreme Risk" status this past Friday.

The University will remain in contact with local officials about updates to fan attendance. Check PortlandPilots.com for updates as they come.

REMAINING HOME BASEBALL GAMES
Friday, May 7 vs. Pepperdine, 6 PM
Saturday, May 8 vs. Pepperdine, 3 PM Sunday, May 9 vs. Pepperdine, 12 PM
Friday, May 14 vs. Gonzaga, 6 PM
Saturday, May 15 vs. Gonzaga, 3 PM
Sunday, May 16 vs. Gonzaga, 12 PM
Tuesday, May 18 vs. Oregon State, 5 PM
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 04, 2021 8:25 pm

The Oregon governor's office has declared that Multnomah County will go from "Extreme Risk" to "High Risk" beginning Friday...I have no idea what that might mean for attending Pilots baseball, but it should mean more of us will be able to attend the Thorns game on Saturday.

I guess we will just have to wait and see...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm

I have never been to a Pilots baseball game...and I guess there won't be an opportunity this season, but I am wondering what's with the large belt buckles. scratch  

Baseball 2021 Pilots10
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed May 05, 2021 8:44 pm

StudentPilot wrote:I have never been to a Pilots baseball game...and I guess there won't be an opportunity this season, but I am wondering what's with the large belt buckles. scratch  
Think of those “big belt buckles” as the bands quarterbacks wear on their forearm to interpret the play that is signaled from the sideline…for college baseball players they contain the codes of the day that correspond to various commands from the dugout or third base coach.

Back in the day players had to memorize many visual signs used by the coach, and when those visual signs were flashed, some of which were decoys, some were often missed if the player momentarily took their eyes off the coach or had simply forgotten some of the signs…but not anymore.

Now most coaches just holler a 3-letter or numeric code, and the players glance at their “belt buckle” to learn if it is a bunt, or hit and run, or a command to steal, etc.  In the past there were often multiple signs for a certain command, and if the players did not memorize as many as 20 visual signs, they’d miss their instructions.

I have heard of teams using actual magnetic white boards to write or place the code for the play instead of hollering the code, and I have also heard that some coaches use codes to set their defensive alignments, but I would think the outfielders would need binoculars unless the infielders relay the signs/codes.  I have not been to a Pilots game in many years, so I have no idea what system Coach Loomis uses.  

My questions are:
1. Why do the players wear the band on their belt instead of on their glove-hand forearm?
2. How does it feel when they make a headfirst slide?  affraid
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed May 05, 2021 11:29 pm

I wish it were April first…..
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sun May 23, 2021 9:07 am

Ended the season on a high note with a win! Over the past few years my goal has just been to improve and hopefully make the top 4 in conference for the WCC tournament. They cancelled the tournament this year, so it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

This year was the closest we have come to that goal by finishing 5th. This was our best finish since finishing 3rd in 2011. Final record is 24-26, but we did have a winning WCC record at 14-13. I think there is reason to be optimistic about baseball on the Bluff! Can’t wait to check out the new stadium.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Fox Mulder and Pilot14 like this post

Back to top Go down