Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next?

+21
mikemac65
Sound Voltex
bdaddy
ExpatPilot
DTLegend
lomiton
NoPoNeighbor
Woodless 2.0
GoPilots19
Rob's Jacket
wrv
SoCalPilot
Snus Junction
dholcombe
VillaGorilla
Dean Murdoch
nextchapter
writerpilot
Geezaldinho
StudentPilot
DoubleDipper
25 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 3 Empty Re: Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next?

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:16 am

1. Shantay Legans (EWU HC) EWU beat Northern Arizona last night and will play Montana in the Big Sky semi-final this evening in Boise.
2. Mike Magpayo (UCR Interim HC) UCR beat Hawaii last night and will play UC Irvine in the Big West semi-final tonight in Las Vegas.
3. Matt Logie (Point Loma Nazarene HC) PLN plays Northwest Nazarene tonight in the D2 NCAA Western Regionals in Golden, Colorado.
4. Ben Johnson (UP Interim HC) Season has ended.
5. Scott Garson (Santa Clara #2 Assistant) Season has ended.
6. Jim Shaw (WSU #1 Assistant) Season has Ended.
7. Brian Michelson (Gonzaga #3 Assistant) Probable #1 seed in NCAA Tournament ending April 5.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 3 Empty Re: Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next?

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:21 pm

1. Shantay Legans (EWU HC) Beat Montana and will play Montana St., a loser to the Pilots but an upset winner over Southern Utah, for the Big Sky title and an invite to the NCAA Tournament . The game will be televised nationally at 5pm PST on ESPNU.
2. Mike Magpayo (UCR Interim HC) UCR lost to UC Irvine. Season has ended.
3. Matt Logie (Point Loma Nazarene HC) Lost to Northwest Nazarene. Season has ended
4. Ben Johnson (UP Interim HC) Season has ended.
5. Scott Garson (Santa Clara #2 Assistant) Season has ended.
6. Jim Shaw (WSU #1 Assistant) Season has Ended.
7. Brian Michelson (Gonzaga #3 Assistant) Probable #1 seed in NCAA Tournament ending April 5.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am

DoubleDipper wrote:1. Shantay Legans (EWU HC) Beat Montana and will play Montana St., a loser to the Pilots but an upset winner over Southern Utah, for the Big Sky title and an invite to the NCAA Tournament . The game will be televised nationally at 5pm PST on ESPNU.
I'll be watching, but will the AD be watching?  

Reading the posts from five years ago, it seems there was a great deal of speculation that it was Porter's job if he wanted it, and there was pushback from some that he should NOT be the coach, which Leykam obviously ignored.

Maybe this time it will be different and he'll read the comments here!  Basketball
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:12 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Maybe this time it will be different and he'll read the comments here!  Basketball

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 3 Gucopnc7-Lu-Ky8e-WY6m7-WAg-r

Last edited by Dean Murdoch on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Rob's Jacket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by writerpilot Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:47 pm

EWU wins the Big Sky and is going dancing. I think we can safely cross Legans off the list as he will have far better options than a perennial WCC bottom feeder that won’t be ponying up for big contract.

To be clear I’d be glad to have him, I just think the odds of landing him are somewhere between extremely unlikely and no chance.
writerpilot
writerpilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:17 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:The game will be televised nationally at 5pm PST on ESPNU.
I'll be watching, but will the AD be watching?  
I'm convinced Legans is the guy, I hope the AD watched too.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:39 pm

Porter is Gone…Now What and Who’s Next? - Page 3 Hire_s10
For the record,

1. I am a volunteer to fly that airplane (an Extra 330).
2. I have now cut my list to just one recommendation to UP's Vice-President for Athletics, and it's Shantay Legans!

Yes, it will take twice as much money and UP will have to wait at least another 10 days to two weeks to get a commitment from him, but UP better put on the full-court press and get it done.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:24 pm

Even if Legans had no other options beyond staying at EWU or coming to UP, why would he leave Cheney? He’s in a job where he has a realistic chance of winning conference championships and making the Big Dance on a regular basis. Neither of those would be the case at UP. No one in the WCC outside of Gonzaga, BYU and St. Mary’s has made the tournament for 13 years.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:31 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Even if Legans had no other options beyond staying at EWU or coming to UP, why would he leave Cheney?

https://newstalk870.am/ewu-mulling-athletic-future-1-of-4-options-is-dropping-football/

This one covers the situation a bit more in detail - https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/feb/26/whats-the-future-of-athletics-at-eastern-washingto/
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:38 pm

I see Iona hired Rick Pitino for $1.1 million and he’s taking them to the tourney in his first year.
Anybody like that floating around?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I see Iona hired Rick Pitino for $1.1 million and he’s taking them to the tourney in his first year.
Not sure Pitino would be a "fit" at UP but as Iona is the 5th different school he has taken to the NCAA Tournament...maybe he'll come to UP on his next go-around. Rolling Eyes
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:08 pm

StudentPilot wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:I see Iona hired Rick Pitino for $1.1 million and he’s taking them to the tourney in his first year.
Not sure Pitino would be a "fit" at UP but as Iona is the 5th different school he has taken to the NCAA Tournament...maybe he'll come to UP on his next go-around. Rolling Eyes

I dunno, he sounds perfect.

At the universities he coached at, Boston University, Providence, Kentucky , and Louisville he took moribund or scandal ridden programs and turned them areound. Iona wasn’t that bad, but they are better now. A couple of those he took to final fours in 2-3 years.
His turnarounds have been quick, which is what we need. You want results, you have to be prepared to pay for them.

He had his own pay for play scandal , of course, but I don’t see where that would “fit” with UP’s budget.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-3-12-21/
Hoop Dirt wrote:New Mexico: Tim Miles (former Nebraska & Colorado State head coach), and Richard Pitino (Minnesota head coach) making pushes here. New Mexico AD Eddie Nunez is a basketball guy – was a GA under Billy the Kid at Florida (hence the Pitino connection), and an administrative guy with Tom Crean at Marquette.
Hoop Dirt wrote:Denver: Multiple people now believe they are focused on candidates with head coaching experience. Two current D2 head coaches are believed to be involved, and may have already interviewed. Salary here will be $180,000-$200,000. More on this one soon.

I read somewhere that Kyle Keller (Stephen F. Austin) also interviewed for the UNM job.

I'll keep an eye on Hoop Dirt, but nothing on Portland or SJSU so far. The SJSU "wish list" on the Spartans forum had a lot of crossover with the names that are being thrown out in this thread.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Remember... Gonzaga started at the bottom of a bad conference as the least desirable head coaching job in the WCC. What they've done is not likely to be repeated, but it should be much easier to build a decent program starting from the bottom of the current WCC which is a much more desirable conference than in the 80s/90s... Easier to build a good program... Harder to make the NCAA tournament as it is likely to require an at large bid. Back in the day a low 100s team could win the regular season and take the auto bid as tournament champion. Today that will have you playing in the 7-10 or 8-9 play in game in the WCC tourney. Only San Diego and up are quad 4 teams at home and on the road. The rest of the conference is in quad 1/2/3 depending on home/away. Pacific is the 7th place team per net rankings and is a quad 2 road game. It's now possible to build a reasonable at large resume in conference play.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/14/march-madness-2021-gonzaga-chasing-fairy-tale-ending/

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:02 pm

dholcombe wrote:Remember... Gonzaga started at the bottom of a bad conference as the least desirable head coaching job in the WCC. What they've done is not likely to be repeated, but it should be much easier to build a decent program starting from the bottom of the current WCC which is a much more desirable conference than in the 80s/90s... Easier to build a good program... Harder to make the NCAA tournament as it is likely to require an at large bid. Back in the day a low 100s team could win the regular season and take the auto bid as tournament champion. Today that will have you playing in the 7-10 or 8-9 play in game in the WCC tourney. Only San Diego and up are quad 4 teams at home and on the road. The rest of the conference is in quad 1/2/3 depending on home/away. Pacific is the 7th place team per net rankings and is a quad 2 road game. It's now possible to build a reasonable at large resume in conference play.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/14/march-madness-2021-gonzaga-chasing-fairy-tale-ending/

Wondering what part of the fairy tale/Bible explains this:

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19980731&slug=2763965 #cheatingischeating

Although frankly, as we've chatted about Pitino, Portland could use a dose of Dan Fitz "aggressiveness" to get this boat off the rocks.

Last edited by lomiton on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:19 pm

lomiton wrote:Wondering what part of the fairy tale/Bible explains this: https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19980731&slug=2763965.  #cheatingischeating

Although frankly, as we've chatted about Pitino, Portland could use a dose of Dan Fitz "aggressiveness" to get this boat off the rocks.
Sadly, the link is apparently no longer valid...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:New Mexico: Tim Miles (former Nebraska & Colorado State head coach), and Richard Pitino (Minnesota head coach) making pushes here. New Mexico AD Eddie Nunez is a basketball guy – was a GA under Billy the Kid at Florida (hence the Pitino connection), and an administrative guy with Tom Crean at Marquette.

I read somewhere that Kyle Keller (Stephen F. Austin) also interviewed for the UNM job.
Richard Pitino is apparently leaving his Minnesota head coaching position for New Mexico...say "multiple sources."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:39 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
lomiton wrote:Wondering what part of the fairy tale/Bible explains this: https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19980731&slug=2763965.  #cheatingischeating

Sorry DD, I think I fixed it. Please try again.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 pm

lomiton wrote:Sorry DD, I think I fixed it. Please try again
For years it seemed to be common knowledge among the WCC schools that Fitzgerald was playing "fast and loose" with money and players at GU...but neither GU nor the NCAA seemed to care...and the coaches at the time just seemed to laugh it off.

The NY Post article about GU going from bad to excellent is a good one and maybe a roadmap for other WCC schools to attempt to emulate.  Although a rags to riches story like that may only be able to happen in a town like Spokane, or perhaps Stockton...someplace off the beaten path and away from the bigger cities.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
lomiton wrote:Sorry DD, I think I fixed it. Please try again
For years it seemed to be common knowledge among the WCC schools that Fitzgerald was playing "fast and loose" with money and players at GU...but neither GU nor the NCAA seemed to care...and the coaches at the time just seemed to laugh it off.

The NY Post article about GU going from bad to excellent is a good one and maybe a roadmap for other WCC schools to attempt to emulate.  Although a rags to riches story like that may only be able to happen in a town like Spokane, or perhaps Stockton...someplace off the beaten path and away from the bigger cities.

Fitzie's assistants during that time were young Monson and Few. I'm guessing they weren't choir boys then...and maybe not now. Moot point in that they shouldn't be dumb enough to get caught. Regardless of who cared #cheatingischeating I say.

Spokane, while surround by natural beauty, is quite literally a dump. It's not Seattle, it's not Portland, it's not even Boise.

That town didn't know it was starving until Gonzaga got rolling and now that they've had a taste of the success, that valley has fallen in love completely and is all in - in a way Portland, Seattle or any of the large metro areas, as you pointed out, ever could be. If you haven't been to Hoopfest (3-on-3 TOURNAMENT), it's something else.

Nope, a monster has been created up there and it's going to stay that way for a long, long, time.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:02 am

Hoop Dirt wrote: I mentioned last week that Denver seemed to be focusing on guys with head coaching experience. Some names that I’ve heard are D2 Northern State head coach Saul Phillips (former head coach at Ohio), D2 Belmont Abbey head coach Dan Ficke (former Denver assistant), and D2 Colorado Mines head coach Pryor Orser.

@CoachingChanges wrote: San Jose State has a pool of names in the mix that included Dave Rice, Earl Watson, Marvin Menzies, Steve Lavin and Kurtis Townsend.

Monday updates for Denver and SJSU. Still all quiet on the Pilots front.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:52 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

Here ya go:

SeattleTimes wrote: Northwest -- Gonzaga, On Probation, Still Has `Full Privilege'
APJul 31, 1998
SPOKANE - A $200,000 private fund maintained by former athletic director Dan Fitzgerald has earned Gonzaga University four years of NCAA probation.

Fitzgerald had sole control of the account from 1981 through mid-1997, the NCAA said yesterday.

The money was used to supplement the university's athletics budget for recruiting trips and meals and entertainment money for prospects during recruiting visits, the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions said.

The penalties announced yesterday will not prevent Gonzaga from recruiting, limit scholarships or bar the team from playing in postseason tournaments.

"Coaches and athletes have the full privilege of competing at the NCAA Division 1 level," said Robert Spitzer, the school's new president. "The future belongs to us."

Fitzgerald, reached at home, said the money was never used to gain an unfair advantage over other teams.

"If unethical conduct is trying to keep an understaffed and underfunded program alive, I did that," said Fitzgerald, who also was the longtime basketball coach. "I did not perceive it at all as being a violation."

He denied any personal gain from the funds.

The NCAA investigators agreed that Gonzaga, which plays in the Division I West Coast Conference, did not gain a competitive advantage from use of the money, since the totals spent on recruiting fell within NCAA guidelines.

However, the full extent of the violations was not clear, since only records from 1990 to 1997 could be found.

"Most of the money could not be accounted for because the former director of athletics destroyed most of the records," said David Swank of the University of Oklahoma, chairman of the infractions committee.

Fitzgerald was put on administrative leave July 2, 1997, and resigned Dec. 22.

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Hmm, so we do indeed have a P12 spot open up.... Larry Krystkowiak is out at Utah.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Hmm, so we do indeed have a P12 spot open up.... Larry Krystkowiak is out at Utah.
Too bad, a good coach and a good man! I love watching him storm up and down the sideline in his red blazer.

He's one former NBA guy I would welcome at UP, but he's still not my first choice. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
StudentPilot wrote:There are currently at least 16 D1 head coach positions open...will that number double by April 5th?
It will probably be pretty close, prior to the beginning of this season there were 28 coaching changes.
Krystkowiak makes it 29 coaching changes so far...

Krystkowiak came to Utah from a Big Sky school, Montana, so I guess it's possible that Utah could look to EWU for its next head coach, but at least the New Mexico position has been filled with the hiring of Richard Pitino this morning.

If Legans were to decide to leave EWU because of the instability of the athletic department there, he could still easily end up at Denver or even San Jose St. closer to his boyhood home of Santa Barbara.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next