Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 Season

+4
DoubleDipper
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
8 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2020 Season - Page 3 Empty Re: 2020 Season

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Saint Mary’s is starting out the semester online only unless indicators get better.
No campus housing.
Their statement says they will shift to Hybrid/ on campus “ if it becomes safe”
According to benchmarks they have set. I’m sure cases going down must be part of that.

https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/planning-for-fall-2020
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11810
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm

LMU says undergrad courses will be primarily remote.

https://www.lmu.edu/media/2019lmu/returntocampus/LMU-COVID-Reopening-Plan-2020-07-15.pdf

They add health restrictions limit on campus housing to 1/3 capacity.

I wonder how many athletes there are?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 pm

USD calls for a “low density housing model” in their plan and go on to talk about the IT upgrades in classrooms.

https://www.sandiego.edu/news/detail.php?_focus=76564
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 am

It is a rather gloomy outlook for Fall sports.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:49 am

I feel like that pretty much seals our fall sports fate regardless of what we decide. Thanks for posting those updates!

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:I feel like that pretty much seals our fall sports fate regardless of what we decide. Thanks for posting those updates!

Well, UP, BYU, and Gonzaga plan on bringing students back.

Of course the last Gonzaga plan I see was June 3. Things have changed.

Edit:

The zags are now putting their Covid stuff on a different sire.

Here is their latest, dated June 10

https://www.gonzaga.edu/zagon

Gonzaga.edu wrote: New Student Orientation and phased move-in will begin Wednesday, Aug. 26. Returning students who live on campus begin phased move-in Saturday, Aug. 29.
Undergraduate classes will begin Tuesday, Sept. 1 and conclude Friday, Dec. 11, with the last day of finals Friday, Dec. 18.
Students will have the option to return home for Thanksgiving break, or stay on campus through the end of the semester. All instruction after break will be distance delivery. We will ask students who elect to travel outside of Spokane County for the Thanksgiving Break not to return to campus for the remainder of the semester.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm

And lest we leave out Pepperdine, their plan is by college.

I assume most athletes are in the Seaver college of arts and sciences. They seem to give you the options of on campus, remote, or hybrid by class.

I can’t sort through the overseas options, but Europe won’t let Americans in, and I think Argentina has also closed its borders, for those thinking Buenos Aires might be a good place to ride things out. Also, they are pretty much still on lockdown, so  good internet service is a must. ( in all, their internet seems better than ours)

https://www.pepperdine.edu/coronavirus/school-updates/seaver/

And of course, State guidelines and county health authority are still in play. Expect it to fall in with the other CA schools.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:34 pm

I noticed an email in my in box from the ticket office.

It now looks like the current schedules will have a total of 8 home dates on the schedule for the men’s and women’s teams combined.

The original schedule had 24 home games.

And they warn it could change. Season ticket prices will reflect the new realities.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm

From UP President Fr. Mark Poorman just minutes ago:
I am announcing today that the Fall 2020 Semester will begin on August 24 with nearly all classes held exclusively online. Residence halls will remain closed with some limited exceptions. Most faculty and staff will continue to work remotely. We are hopeful that a return to in-person instruction for the Spring 2021 Semester will be possible. Of course, we will continue to monitor conditions to determine if such a return is safe and feasible. Our Fall Semester will begin on August 24 and conclude on December 10. Fall Break will be held from October 12 to October 16. More specific information on our academic calendar will be shared with you in the near future.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11279
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Sad news, but the right decision considering current transmission rates.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm

The Mt.West announced no fall sports including football and soccer.

https://themw.com/news/2020/8/10/general-mountain-west-postpones-2020-fall-sports.aspx

It’s getting close to the threshold for no NCAA fall championships.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:03 pm

Add the summit league to the conferences moving fall sports to Spring.

https://thesummitleague.org/
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:50 am

Here are numbers as of the end of the day yesterday. If 50% of eligible teams decide not to play Fall soccer, then there will be no NCAA championship in the Fall. There may be one later in the year, but that would be yet to be determined.

Total Division I Teams 341
Not Eligible for NCAA Tournament 6
Total Teams Eligible for Tournament 335
50% of Eligible Teams 168
Teams Not Playing in Fall 131
Additional Not Playing to Equal 50% 37

So if 37 more teams (or conferences representing them) decide not to play this Fall, there will not be a Fall NCAA championship.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Geezaldinho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:13 pm

The B1G just cancelled fall football sports. Hopes to move to Spring.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29640222/sources-big-ten-pulls-plug-fall-football-season?linkId=96801302
"Big Ten Conference presidents and chancellors voted Tuesday to postpone all fall sports seasons, including football, amid the coronavirus pandemic with the hopes of playing in the spring.

"All the decisions we would make during my tenure here will always put the mental and physical health and wellness of our student-athletes at the center," Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren told Big Ten Network. "We just believed collectively there's too much uncertainty at this point in time in our country to encourage our student-athletes to participate in fall sports."

"We know how significant the student-athlete experience can be in shaping the future of the talented young women and men who compete in the Big Ten Conference. Although that knowledge made this a painstaking decision, it did not make it difficult. While I know our decision today will be disappointing in many ways for our thousands of student-athletes and their families, I am heartened and inspired by their resilience, their insightful and discerning thoughts, and their participation through our conversations to this point. Everyone associated with the Big Ten Conference and its member institutions is committed to getting everyone back to competition as soon as it is safe to do so."

The announcement seems confusing. One statement talks about football saying no descosían has been made on other sports,another talks about the safety of women and men athletes. Here being no women football  athletes I am aware of, I’m going with the inclusive interpretation.

The same article says the PAC-12 will likely follow.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Geezaldinho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm

And... boom.

The PAC-12 just cancelled fall sports with maybe a move to Spring.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29640603/sources-pac-12-calls-fall-sports-eyes-spring

11 teams away from no championship tourneys?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:07 pm

With the Big Sky already having pushed football to the Spring, I expect to see them postpone the other Fall sports too. They have 10 teams. I expect we will see that shortly and the WCC doing the same thing.

This will leave other schools and conferences free to play in the Fall. But, there will be no NCAA championship in the Fall. Maybe in the Spring.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 pm

I noticed the PAC 12 announcement included suspension of all sports until Jan 1. It would seem they have already decided on conference only competition in the next season’s sports.

So for men’s basketball, scratch the USC match. Women’s basketball is unaffected.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Add the Southern Conference to those canceling fall sports with a hope to move them to Spring.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com) – With the health and well-being of its student-athletes as its top priority, the Big South Conference announced today it is delaying its fall sports seasons with the intent of playing in the spring. This includes the sports of men’s and women’s cross country, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and volleyball. Additionally, fall competitions in the sports of men’s and women’s golf and men’s and women’s tennis, and out of season competitions in spring sports have been suspended as well. The Big South Football Members voted to allow up to four non-conference games in the fall at institutional discretion.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 pm

The Geez meant the Big South, not the Southern Conference. Same difference. And, now add the Big East having no Fall sports, maybe in the Spring.

Which means, there will be no NCAA D1 Women’s soccer championship in the Fall. Maybe in the Spring.

Total Division I Teams 341
Not Eligible for NCAA Tournament 6
Total Teams Eligible for Tournament 335
50% of Eligible Teams 168
Eligible Teams Not Playing in Fall 176
Additional Not Playing to Equal 50% -9

I see more conferences making the no Fall sports decision pretty soon.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Hey! I had the link right.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Do we have any idea if  NCAA will extend eligibility and the 5 year clock for players who dont play this year and for ones at do?

It hardly seems like a year with no chance at a tournament or championship should count.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Do we have any idea if  NCAA will extend eligibility and the 5 year clock for players who dont play this year and for ones at do?

It hardly seems like a year with no chance at a tournament or championship should count.

There are discussions https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29648672 underway on this topic.  It would be something like the red-shirt rule, except that a player would get another year of eligibility if she plays half or fewer of the maximum allowed number of games, which for D1 women’s soccer would mean she plays 10 or fewer games.  We will see if this goes through.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 pm

This, however, creates another problem, which has to do with the scholarship limitations. So far, there does not appear to be sentiment for increasing the numbers of scholarships teams are allowed to give -- at least, not from the decision-makers. This is an expense issue for schools. So, if all players were to exercise an option to take another year of eligibility, there could be five years’ worth of players in school at the same time, sharing the number of scholarships ordinarily available for four years’ worth of players.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

SoreKnees likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:05 am

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:This, however, creates another problem, which has to do with the scholarship limitations.  So far, there does not appear to be sentiment for increasing the numbers of scholarships teams are allowed to give -- at least, not from the decision-makers.  This is an expense issue for schools.  So, if all players were to exercise an option to take another year of eligibility, there could be five years’ worth of players in school at the same time, sharing the number of scholarships ordinarily available for four years’ worth of players.

That may not be as bad a problem as it at first seems, even if the NCAA doesn’t increase the scholarship count. It looks like there  are 7 seniors. all will likely  graduate this year, some maybe by December, since they have been going to summer school each year for classes and practice. I’m betting all seven do not  come back. Some will want to start careers, assuming there is a job market.

Remember that soccer isn’t a head count sport. Scholarship money can be distributed.

Some may come back as grad students for their last year of eligibility and then enter the job market or attend grad school elsewhere. So seven semesters of  scholarship money or more  would still be on the table. And I think one student a year is eligible for a postgraduate scholarship grant.
And in the past a lot of the money kids got was based on academic or needs scholarships.

And if any kid takes an academic break for say, Spring semester or something, that money could be distributed to other team members.  A player who graduated in December could take the Spring off and come back as a grad student in the fall, for example. It could be that the change in what each student gets wouldn’t be all that different.

Then there is this antitrust ruling, of course:

ESPN wrote: California-based federal judge Claudia Wilken ruled that the NCAA was breaking antitrust law by enforcing a nationwide limit on what schools could provide to their athletes as compensation for playing sports. Wilken's decision said that the NCAA could no longer limit what benefits a school could give its athletes as long as the benefits were related to education. Examples of education-related items include laptops, musical instruments, study-abroad opportunities and monetary rewards for academic achievements.

The NCAA's Division I Council is scheduled to meet tomorrow with the intention of creating new rules that comply with Wilken's decision.

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:14 am

Speaking of grad students, I don’t know if you all caught that Director of operations Elli Reed and Asst. coach Logan Emory were awarded their MBA degrees at the close of the summer session.

Congrats!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next