Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Recruiting

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2021 Recruiting - Page 2 Empty Re: 2021 Recruiting

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Well, at least it doesn’t rail against slaves fighting for their own freedom like another jingoistic anthem does in its third stanza.

There are three waltzing matildas I’m aware of.

One is a song about an Aussie hobo who steals  a sheep ( jumbuck) for dinner  while brewing tea and commits suicide by drowning in  a swamp ( billabong) when he gets chased by the owner of the sheep and three mounted cops.
Probably got bit or et by a freshie or saltie. It seems lighthearted until you understand the lyrics.
The song is based on an incident where some sheep shearers went on strike and burned down the sheering shed, killing sheep.  One of the sheerers was Samuel Hoffmeister  (also known as "Frenchy"), an immigrant said to have been born in Batavia.Rather than be captured by the three troopers giving chase, Hoffmeister shot and killed himself at the 4 Mile Creek south of Kynuna at 12.30pm on 2 September, 1894.
Sort of their version of the Pullman strikes in th USA the same year, though with far fewer killed by government employees.

There is also the Tom Waits version which as far as I’m concerned is the incomprensible ramblings of a drunk who gets stabbed to death in an alley ( in Copenhagen?)-  definitely a downer song.

The other is about the senselessness of war and especially the slaughter at Gallipoli, The bright idea of the first Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill which ended up with him a few steps down the chain of command as an Army Major in France and  derailed his political career for a couple decades.

The event is celebrated in Australia and New Zealand as ANZAC day in April, though I did see the song featured on some blogs this veterans/armistice/rememberance day around the World.

I think it was written by Eric Bogle. It’s been done by the pogues, the dubliners, Sir Roderick Stewart, and others. I think I like Liam Clancy’s the best.

Which one do you think the Pep band should play a couple bars of at a basketball game?

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:41 am

In your favorite version the title of the song is "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda"> It's a good song but it's not really "Waltzing Matilda".

I prefer the original probably because that is what I learned in school as a boy (in California). Apparently the music teacher at our school didn't understand the lyrics or she probably would not have taught the song in her classes.

I've no idea which one an Australian might prefer.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I trust the pep band has been sent the score to at least a few bars of Advance Australia Fair.
The Pep Band already has the score!

You may recall the Australian St. Patrick's College ensemble played "Advance Australian Fair," and the "Star Spangled Banner" prior to the January 11th game against St. Mary's and while the devastating bushfires were burning in Australia.

https://watchstadium.com/live/saint-marys-at-portland-2/

I was sitting near Ann Schatz when she interviewed Haylee after the game...and Haylee said it was "a great national anthem, obviously...."

I have a number of Australian born cousins living there, and they sing "Waltzing Matilda" when they are drunk... drunken
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Here you go:

Courtesy of UP Athletics...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:11 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:In summary, we should be seeing the following group signing with UP during the early signing period:

Emma Strelein, 5-10 wing from Perth, Australia
Maddi Condron, 6-7 post from Melbourne, Australia
Emily Sewell, 6-3 forward from Melbourne, Australia
MJ Bruno, 5-10 forward from Spokane Valley, Washington
No surprises -- Women’s Basketball Adds Four Recruits:
https://portlandpilots.com/news/2020/11/16/wbb-pilots-add-four-recruits.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:35 pm

It will be exciting to see Strelein take the court. Mr. Meek has characterized her as elite--we'll see if that proves so. Her video suggests great skill.

Sewell looks ready to contribute as well. A nice front court with her, Cochrane and Fowler. Bruno and Condi may add something as well.

Go Pilots.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 am

A description of how the coaching staff intends to use Strelein, when available:

Strelein burst on the college recruiting landscape after a breakout showing at the Under 18s national tournament in April 2019. As an underage player, she led WA Metro in rebounds, assists and steals per game during the tournament and caught the eye of college programs all around North America. Long Island University came offering with a full scholarship, while the likes of St Mary’s, Pepperdine, Penn State and LaSalle also had discussions with Strelein and her family. In the end, however, Portland revealed itself as the best fit for Strelein.

“As I started to watch their games and do my research, I found myself wanting to watch them for the fun of it and I became a fan,” Strelein said of the Portland program.

“They have told me how I can fit into their team, in a scoring role with my shooting. When the graduating class before I arrive does leave, they are going to be missing someone who plays that role. They have told me that they need a player like me, and obviously I am who they are looking for.”

https://pickandroll.com.au/p/emma-strelein-commits-to-university-of-portland

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:50 am

Hi

I'm Emma's dad, and she can't wait to get over there in June! Just stumbled across this forum recently and thought I'd say hi and help with the Waltzing Matilda chat I saw in here...

It's definitely an unofficial anthem, but it's hard to find rousing renditions suited to the pep band as it's traditionally a slow song focused on the lyrics, but here's a couple of band rendition examples that would be instantly recognised by the Aussie girls...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?
story_fbid=612613325575897&id=259252410911992

https://youtu.be/VNAvX0SewAQ

Happy to try and help with any other Aussie info.

Take care all

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:38 am

Welcome, Adam!!

We too are looking forward to Emma's arrival this summer, and not just because we think she can have an immediate impact on the women's program, but also because we know she will enjoy the welcome of her new close-knit group of teammates, and she will also get a wonderful education in the classroom.

It could be confusing having Emma, Emme, and Emily on the team this coming season, so there will probably be some nicknames used, but the team is good at that.

As you might have noticed in one of the videos above, there is an Australian flag hanging front-and-center in the Chiles Center, and with seven Aussies on the team I think we should all start learning some Aussie slang.  

We have met all the Australian player's families at one time or another, usually during our winter, and we hope you too can visit when it can be 40C in Perth and closer to 5C in Portland... Shocked
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
It could be confusing having Emma, Emme, and Emily on the team this coming season, so there will probably be some nicknames used, but the team is good at that.
Emma usually goes by Em, but that still sounds similar, so yeah she will likely need a nickname Laughing

DoubleDipper wrote:
As you might have noticed in one of the videos above, there is an Australian flag hanging front-and-center in the Chiles Center, and with seven Aussies on the team I think we should all start learning some Aussie slang.

Very cool that there's an Aussie flag up!

Much of the iconic Aussie slang you might know is more colloquial and not used much any more, but there is still a lot that can make a conversation difficult that's for sure...

Post-game interviewer: "What did you think of today's game?"
Aussie answer: "Yeah nah I reckon we played a deadset ripper this arvo despite the iffy-as start with some dodgy shooting and Hayley getting crook and bailing after that bingle with Alex. Coach gave us an ear-bashing and it was sweet-as to then put in the hard yakka and also go off like a frog in a sock late in the game."
Interpretation: "Yes I thought we played a really great game this afternoon despite the very questionable start with some inaccurate shooting and Hayley falling ill and not playing after that collision with Alex. Coach gave us a pep-talk and it was really nice to then put in the hard work and also play crazily well late in the game."

DoubleDipper wrote:
We have met all the Australian player's families at one time or another, usually during our winter, and we hope you too can visit when it can be 40C in Perth and closer to 5C in Portland... Shocked

We would love to get over there and catch up once COVID lets us. It was great to meet coach Meek when he flew over to visit us a couple of years ago, but then we couldn't get over for Em's official visit thanks to COVID. Never been to the US before, so it'd be cool to hopefully make it late this year and experience a white Christmas for the first time, and then New Year's and Em's birthday on 12th Jan.

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2