Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Recruiting

3 posters

Go down

2021 Recruiting Empty 2021 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Men’s Soccer Compiles the No. 2 Recruiting Class in the Nation
UP Sports wrote:The Portland Pilots men's soccer team has received commitments from eight incoming recruits, and the group has been tabbed as the No. 2 class in the nation, ranked by Top Drawer Soccer. It's the fifth straight top 20 recruiting class for the Pilots and head coach Nick Carlin-Voigt.

"This is a versatile recruiting class that is full of high-achieving student-athletes committed to representing Portland," Carlin-Voigt said. "Academically, this group has a combined GPA average of over 3.6 and they are excited about the whole person education they will receive at UP. On the field, this class is balanced positionally and we feel we have become deeper while replacing some of the experience that graduated this past season. Geographically we continue to cast a specific footprint and dive into our established markets while developing new relationships and recruiting pipelines. We feel like this talented and hard-working group helps us reload for both the immediate and long-term future."

The Pilots will be adding eight freshmen to the roster as Adrian Aguilar (Los Angeles, Calif./Connections Academy), Andrew Cordes (Denver, Colo./East High School), Sebastian Hernandez (Lompoc, Calif./California Connections Academy), Miles Lyons (Tucson, Ariz./Catalina Foothills HS), Sebastian Nava (Wilmington, Calif./Capistrano Connections Academy), Jaylen Rodwell (Auckland, New Zealand/Tawa College), Muslim Umar (Edmonton, Alberta/Archbishop O'Leary Catholic HS), and Ty Walker (Davidson, N.C./Scholar Athletes Leadership Academy) have all committed to the program

#2 Class in the Nation, and no in-person recruiting.  Awesome!

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2020/11/12/msoc-pilots-compile-the-no-2-recruiting-class-in-the-nation.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2021 Recruiting Empty Re: 2021 Recruiting

Post by SoreKnees Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 pm

This nationally ranked recruiting class seems to happen every year, yet we cannot manage to finish in the top half of the WCC, which is not really a top conference nationally.

Why?
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:22 pm

SoreKnees wrote:This nationally ranked recruiting class seems to happen every year, yet we cannot manage to finish in the top half of the WCC, which is not really a top conference nationally.

Why?
Are you going to start the conversation by giving your opinion why??
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 am

StudentPilot wrote:
SoreKnees wrote:This nationally ranked recruiting class seems to happen every year, yet we cannot manage to finish in the top half of the WCC, which is not really a top conference nationally.

Why?
Are you going to start the conversation by giving your opinion why??

I really don't know and I'm really throwing this out to those with more expertise than I.

I'll give the Pilots (and anyone) a pass for this year because of the disruptions. But here are my observations from the last few seasons: The Pilots clearly have some players with excellent skills between the boxes. Despite all the excellent build-up play, in the matches I've seen the number of really good chances is very, very limited. And at the defensive end there are just too many costly mistakes. I watched several matches online this year in which the Pilots dominated play and outshot the opponent, but ended up losing 2-1, often in extra time.

We were all spoiled by Clive Charles's teams, which always seemed to achieve and often to over-achieve!
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:20 am

I too will have to leave it to the experts as I have not seen the Pilots play since Benji was on the team.  

This thread that was started by DD in November indicates UP's recruiting class for 2021 was #2 in the nation according to Top Drawer, which I assume means none of those recruits listed arrive at UP until this summer.

I do not know about previous recruiting classes, but looking back at this season's results, the Pilots did seem to have trouble getting the ball in the back of the net except against non-D1 teams.

Wait until next season?? tongue
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:05 pm

StudentPilot wrote:This thread that was started by DD in November indicates UP's recruiting class for 2021 was #2 in the nation according to Top Drawer, which I assume means none of those recruits listed arrive at UP until this summer.
John Kato from Kapenguria, Kenya, and a 2020 Top Drawer Soccer Winter All-America, will join the already stellar gang of 8 as a freshman this summer.

2021 Recruiting John_k10

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/6/2/mens-soccer-mens-soccer-adds-john-kato-2021-recruiting-class.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down