Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WCC MBB Results

+10
StudentPilot
wrv
pilotdad1
dholcombe
blacksheep
Stonehouse
NoPoNeighbor
Dean Murdoch
ExpatPilot
DoubleDipper
14 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

WCC MBB Results - Page 2 Empty Re: WCC MBB Results

Post by blacksheep Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:49 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:No matter what happens, I'll always remember 74-47 back in 2009.  Wink  

I remember watching that game and just laughing with glee and amazement all through the second half.

Wish I could find the video highlights of that game... best I could find was the last six minutes of our next game, the win over Minnesota. Unfortunately, the Pilots played their best basketball in the first 34 minutes of that game...  

The pinnacle of Coach Rev's tenure at UP.

Two things I didn't realize...
• Minnesota was ranked #16 at the time?? Wow
• According to the ticker, that was the day after Tiger's wife caught him cheating and smashed out his SUV windows with a 6-iron

One of the best moments in the life of a Pilot fan. I'm glad I got to witness it in person.

I still remember hearing the early reports of Tiger's "car crash" and thinking to myself, BS, his wife beat him with his own golf clubs.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:59 am

Can someone with some pull at the Athletic Department get them to post some video from that 2009 win over UCLA? Actually, I'd love to watch the game in its entirety!

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:16 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Can someone with some pull at the Athletic Department get them to post some video from that 2009 win over UCLA? Actually, I'd love to watch the game in its entirety!

A great idea...but maybe one that should wait until after Thursday. Last thing this UCLA team needs is extra motivation, and maybe everyone around there has forgotten that the Pilots pounded them last time they met.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Even in beating #16 Minnesota, some of the notorious trademarks of a Reveno team are there in those last six minutes! Giving up a lead, falling apart at the end of a close game, multiple turnovers on inbounds plays. We were lucky that Minnesota couldn't buy a bucket.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I was noticing the same thing. I forgot about how close we came to losing that game.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Will Maupin has week two of Mid-major Madness out. west-coast-conference-wcc-power-rankings-gonzaga-bulldogs-zags-saint-marys-gaels-byu-cougars

Once again he has four great choices for his team of the week.  Then he picks GU sub forward Zach Collins over Gabe Taylor, because Collins scored 15 and 18 points.  Meanwhile, while Gabe scored 24 in 40 minutes in a road victory and 13 points in 20 minutes at home.  Will must have a rule that he has to find a Zag player each week for his team.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:53 am

I generally always root for the WCC teams when they play non-conference games, especially now that Walters is no longer the coach at USF, but I just cannot bring myself to siding with BYU even though I watch a lot of their games.

The reason: because the coach, players, and fans are just plain annoying in their display of poor sportsmanship and continual complaining.

Tonight in a very good game to watch, Valpo came back from a large deficit to down the Cougars in the MGM Grand Main Event Championship game, 92-89. BYU is a very good team; they do not have to resort to continual displays of emotion and belly-aching to the refs.

In other games, St. Bonaventure beat PU in Cedar Park, Texas, 89-63, and USF beat Troy (the team that Oskars Reinfelds played 9 games for) at home, 79-67.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:45 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I generally always root for the WCC teams when they play non-conference games, especially now that Walters is no longer the coach at USF, but I just cannot bring myself to siding with BYU even though I watch a lot of their games. The reason: because the coach, players, and fans are just plain annoying in their display of poor sportsmanship and continual complaining. Tonight in a very good game to watch, Valpo came back from a large deficit to down the Cougars in the MGM Grand Main Event Championship game, 92-89. BYU is a very good team; they do not have to resort to continual displays of emotion and belly-aching to the refs.

How is Alec Peters still playing for Valpo? Seems like forever and a day since he and the Crusaders ruined UP's unbeaten start several years ago.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:10 pm

New Mexico St. beat USD in the Slim Gym today and USF trounced Sacramento St. in Cheney, Washington, but the game of the day was a real shootout at the Marriott Center in Provo.

Former BYU player Isaac Neilson scored a career high 26 points on 10-12 shooting as four Utah Valley players scored more than 20 points apiece as the Wolverines ran over the Cougars 114-101 today.

The BYU player we love to hate, sophomore cry baby Nick Emery, set a new BYU scoring record with 37 points, beating the previous mark of 36 set by one of the all time all-America cry babies, Danny Ainge. Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:The BYU player we love to hate, sophomore cry baby Nick Emery, set a new BYU scoring record with 37 points, beating the previous mark of 36 set by one of the all time all-America cry babies, Danny Ainge. Evil or Very Mad
I don't think that can be right... I remember watching Tyler Haws score nearly 50 points in the Chiles Center in that triple-OT thriller a few years back... AKA The Bobby Sharp Game.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Yup, you're right....he scored 48 that night.

I'm going to replay today's game later tonight...let me check what the announcer actually said about the "new record."

Maybe it was a new Marriott Center record....or something.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:44 pm

There were some other games we didn't mention from this week:
FRI
GU beat Florida 77-72
SCU lost to Vanderbilt 76-66
LMU beat Portland St 78-62
THURS
SCU lost to Arizona 69-61
GU beat Quinnipiac 82-62

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Im sure Jimmer had more that 37 on several occasions

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:57 pm

OK, I've got it.....

Last season Emery scored 37 points against USF for a new all-time BYU FRESHMAN scoring record previously held by Danny Ainge.

Tonight he tied his career high of 37 apparently, but that's not at all what the announcers said...

Here's an article about his "Historic Freshman Season" and Danny Ainge.

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/6/3/11826146/historic-freshman-season-has-nick-emery-on-track-for-byu-basketball-greatness
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:06 pm

up7587 wrote:THURS
SCU lost to Arizona 69-61
Knowing the Orleans arena a little better than their opponent, I thought SCU had a good chance of pulling out a huge (sorry, I guess we now say "uge") upset, especially when they were within 1 point of #8 Arizona with about 4 minutes to go, but the Wildcats closed the game out with a 10-3 run.  

Brownridge scored 25, not quite up to the standard he set last year in the Broncos 75-73 OT loss to Arizona, when he scored 40.

Last night Arizona lost to Butler, 69-65 in the Orleans Arena.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:17 pm

#21 Iowa St. came roaring back from an 18 point deficit, but then #11 Gonzaga went to a zone with a couple very tall freshmen on the perimeter forcing the Cyclones to shoot from beyond NBA 3-point range.  GU wins 73-71.

In Malibu PU succumbed to 91-85 to a Portland State team that is averaging close to 94 points per game.

SMC beat UAB in the Orleans Arena, 76-63.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:47 am

USF lost at Eastern WA, 96-90. First Dons loss.

Regarding PSU's average, they got 100 against Cal St Fullerton, but gave up 106 and lost. Then they scored 113 against George Fox. They are just under an 81 ppg average in D-1 games. A little better than Pilots 79.4 average in D-1 games. But Pilots are 3-2 while PSU is 1-3.

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:29 am

In a result of some interest to those suggesting our opponents, at least the ones we beat, are marginal, San Jose State beat WSU 88-76 in Pullman on Sunday.

St.Mary’s has beaten SJS on the Gaels home floor and Dayton in Dayton. St. Mary’s is ranked in all polls, generally in the 15 range and as high as 9th in one poll. Aussie junior Jock Londale, 6’11”, leads the Gaels with a 21 ppg and over 9 rebounds per game. They will be hard to beat.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:31 am

Good update on SJS, wrv.

Looking ahead to UP's Moda Center opponents, South Dakota and OSU, it would seem one team is on the rise and the other....well, not so much.

After 4 straight losses, OSU has dropped from KenPom #77 to #142, and to compound the problem, after scoring 31 on Friday in OSU's loss to Fresno St., Tres Trinkle was diagnosed with a broken wrist on his non-shooting side, and will apparently be out 4-6 weeks.

Meanwhile, South Dakota has upset wins over Bowling Green, Kent, and Montana....but is still ranked at #250.

Oh, UP is now rated #132, up from a previous low of #173, and head of #192 UOP for 4th in the WCC.

(None of this really means anything, because the games still have to be played, but it's always fun to look at when your team is rising).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Looking ahead more, future opponent BSU is leading Oregon midway through the 2nd half.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 pm

up7587 wrote:Looking ahead more, future opponent BSU is leading Oregon midway through the 2nd half.
#18 UO came back to beat BSU in Eugene, but the Broncos are very, very good.

The differences between UP and UO are many, but in this game the Ducks stopped BSU by doing something UP is probably incapable of doing, they blocked 10 BSU shots!  BSU went outside the arc to sink 11 3-pointers.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 am

wrv wrote:In a result of some interest to those suggesting our opponents, at least the ones we beat, are marginal, San Jose State beat WSU 88-76 in Pullman on Sunday.
Per the KenPom.com rankings, SJSU is #224. That is marginal. But any road win is a good win. WSU is currently ranked #170.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:47 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/west-coast-bias-why-the-wcc-has-become-a-career-killer-for-coaches-205029165.html

Interesting article, complete with quotes from UP's recent former coach and current head coach.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Just read this and was coming to post it. I guess I was beaten to it.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:06 pm

On Tuesday, Pacific lost at Nevada 77-67.
Today, USD lost to USC 76-55.
SCU lost at home to UC Irvine 58-55. Ugh
USF beat Alcorn St 78-65.
BYU beat Utah St 77-63.

SMC is playing at Stanford in a late game.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next