Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WCC Results

+8
Stonehouse
DaTruRochin
DTLegend
oh brody
Rochin54
Geezaldinho
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WCC Results Empty WCC Results

Post by PilotNut Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

I thought I would start a thread to discuss other WCC results, starting with the Oregonian's WCC Preview article:

West Coast Conference notes: League play opens Thursday with two games

The 2010-11 West Coast Conference season begins Thursday with two games as Saint Mary's plays at Loyola Marymount, and San Diego plays at Pepperdine. Each team will play a 14-game league schedule leading up to the March 4-7 WCC Tournament at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

Here is a brief glance at each of the WCC's eight teams:

Gonzaga: Led by returning starters Demetri Goodson, Steven Gray, Elias Harris and Robert Sacre, the Bulldogs (10-5) are starting to click after early-season losses to San Diego State, Kansas State, Illinois, Washington State and Notre Dame. ... Gray, the 6-5 senior guard, is averaging a team-high 14.1 points and 4.7 assists, but sat out the home game against Xavier two weeks ago because of back spasms. ... Sacre (13.1 ppg) and Harris (12.3 ppg) are the only others averaging double figures in scoring for the Bulldogs. ... Gonzaga coach Mark Few, in his 11th season as the Bulldogs' head coach, earned his 300th career win in last week's 73-52 victory over Oklahoma State in Spokane.

Loyola Marymount: Junior forward Drew Viney, the transfer from Oregon, is averaging a team-high 16.0 points and 7.8 rebounds in 32.9 minutes a game for the Lions (7-7). ... All five starters are back from a team that won 18 games a qualified for the CollegeInsider.com Tournament a year after going 3-28. ... The Lions' other key player is senior guard Vernon Teel (14.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 3.9 apg).

Pepperdine: The Waves (6-11) are led by junior guard Keion Bell, who is averaging a WCC-best 20.7 points a game and became the 35th player in school history to score 1,000 career points when he scored 22 in Pepperdine's 83-81 victory over Portland State to open the season. Senior forward Mychel Thompson (13.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg), the son of former Trail Blazer and No. 1 NBA Draft pick Mychal Thompson, also surpassed 1,000 career points in his 100th career game at Missouri State on Nov. 22.

Portland: Junior guard Nemanja Mitrovic is shooting 54.8 percent (46 for 84) from three-point range, which leads the WCC and ranks second nationally (minimum 2.5 made per game). ... The last time the Pilots qualified for the NCAA Tournament was in 1996 after beating Gonzaga in the finals of the WCC Tournament at Santa Clara. Portland's only other appearance in the conference championship game was in 1995 when the Pilots lost to Gonzaga.

Saint Mary's: Senior guard Mickey McConnell was named the WCC's player of the week after he had a combined 49 points and 20 assists in leading the Gaels (12-2) to wins over Mississippi State and Hartford. ... McConnell (14.2 ppg) leads the team in scoring, followed by junior forward Rob Jones (13.7 ppg), sophomore guard Matthew Dellavedova (13.0 ppg), and sophomore forward Mitchell Young (11.1 ppg). ... The Gaels return nine players from last season's team that upset Gonzaga to win the WCC Tournament championship and finished 28-6 after advancing to the NCAA's Sweet 16 for the first time.

San Diego: Junior guard Darian Norris (10.2 ppg) and sophomore forward Ken Rancifer (10.0 ppg) are the only players averaging double figures in scoring for the Toreros (3-11), who knocked off Utah 67-64 in the seventh-place game of the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu. ... Coach Bill Grier is 3-0 in WCC openers. ... The Toreros are the only WCC team that failed to win its final game before the start of conference play, falling 76-54 Saturday at North Carolina State.

San Francisco: The Dons (6-9) are led by sophomore guard Michael Williams (16.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg), junior forward Angelo Caloiaro (10.7 ppg, 7.2 rpg), and sophomore forward Perris Blackwell (10.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg). ... Williams has scored in double figures in 14 of 15 games and had a career-high 26 points on 9-for-16 shooting with six three-pointers in last week's 69-57 victory over Hampton.

Santa Clara: Guard Kevin Foster leads the nation in three-pointers made (53) and attempted (139), and is averaging a team-high 18.4 points a game for the Broncos (9-7). ... Foster, the WCC's newcomer of the year in 2008-09, missed all but six games last season with a broken foot and is listed as a redshirt sophomore this season. ... Junior forward Marc Trasolini (12.5 ppg, 6.3 rpg) and Foster were both named to the preseason all-WCC team in voting by the league's coaches.

-- Jim Beseda

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

WCC Results Empty Re: WCC Results

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:10 pm

On ESPNU SMC just finished a comprehensive working over of LMU, 98-75. Gaels shot about 60%. They can grab the rebounds too. Going to be a fantastic game here at the end of the month. (May as well start reminding people that's a 4 PM START ON JANUARY 29. Make a mental note now. )
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Pepp is up by 11 over USD with about 12 to go
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 am

Man, mickey McConnel is good. Really good. If I were picking teams out of all the WCC players, I think he's my first pick. Just controls the game so well. St. Mary's is going to be a real tough out. I was impressed from last nights game.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by oh brody Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am

Man, mickey McConnel is good. Really good. If I were picking teams out of all the WCC players, I think he's my first pick. Just controls the game so well. St. Mary's is going to be a real tough out. I was impressed from last nights game.

Agreed! He does a nice job creating for his teammates and can stretch the defense with his outside shot. Is it just me or does St. Mary's look a heck of a lot more athletic this year? They ran the court well last night and got into their offense so quickly and smoothly they were able to get easy bucket after easy bucket.
oh brody
oh brody
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 am

Saint Mary's looked pretty legit last night. When the season started, most people expected them to dip a little, myself included, but watching them play last night their success is not surprising.
I think the addition of Rob Jones has been huge as he is a serious penetration and finish threat as shown by his baseline drive and dunk in the first half, a play that would not have been possible last year with Samhan in the lane. The team they have now can really stretch the floor and pretty much every player on that team needs to be respected in terms of shooting.
It will be interesting to see how they respond defensively against teams with solid post play as they are weaker in the paint on defense then they have been in the past with the absence of Omar and Diamond Simpson.
It's somewhat sad to see Holt in there seeing as he is a Portland native that could have contributed right away. He is taking time away from Jordan Page, the aussie who was getting some minutes toward the end of last year. Overall I like Saint Mary's team. They have always been fun to watch and I think that they are a lot more likable without Samhan. I can't stand Rob Jones' goatee though and that stupid its all about the g thing drives me nuts.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 am

oh brody wrote:. Is it just me or does St. Mary's look a heck of a lot more athletic this year?

Unscrupulously nabbing the best athletes from conference opponents helps this cause... WCC Results 562404
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:
oh brody wrote:. Is it just me or does St. Mary's look a heck of a lot more athletic this year?

Unscrupulously nabbing the best athletes from conference opponents helps this cause... WCC Results 562404

WCC Results Clap2 WCC Results Clap2 WCC Results Clap2 WCC Results Clap2 WCC Results Clap2 WCC Results Clap2

SMC looked really, really scary good.

And agreed on McConnell... the guy is just so solid and makes such good decisions.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Rob Jones annoys me. He's a good player, but I think he thinks a bit too highly of himself.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 am

01/13/11 results:
GU easily over Pepp, 92-75; Sacre with 24 points
SMC easily over USF, 71-57; McConnell with 19 points
SCU on the road over USD, 61-52. This game was tied at half.

Sacre was 8-8 FG, 8-8 FT, 3 REB, 2 Assists, 3 Blocks and 0 turnovers. Heck of a stat line.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 pm

01/15/11 results - no upsets:
GU by 20 over LMU
USF by 10 at USD
SMC by 25 over SCU

Standings after 2 weeks:
SMC 4-0
GU 3-0
UP 2-1
USF 2-1
SCU 1-2
LMU 1-3
PEP 1-3
USD 0-4

The USF game down there next week will be a critical opportunity for the Pilots to solidify their status as a Top 3 team in conference.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 pm

That GU/LMU game was tied 33-33 at half...
But Viney had 3 fouls at halftime, which he managed through the whole second half as well. And Anthony Ireland (Who was hot/clutch against us) only shot 4-15. One other curiosity, Teel didn't even start and only played 13 minutes. You gotta wonder if there's an injury going or something behind the scenes... I mean he did get that silly tech against us and take some ill advised 3s...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Perusing the LMU board, seems there is not much chemistry between Teel and Coach Good.

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 pm

up7587 wrote:Perusing the LMU board, seems there is not much chemistry between Teel and Coach Good.
The team takes after the coach. What do you expect the players to be like when the boss is stomping around and flapping his arms like a cartoon character? Twisted Evil
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:12 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
up7587 wrote:Perusing the LMU board, seems there is not much chemistry between Teel and Coach Good.
The team takes after the coach. What do you expect the players to be like when the boss is stomping around and flapping his arms like a cartoon character? Twisted Evil

I seem to remember a frustrated Rev beating up on the scorers table. It just showed he cared. Nobody expected the team to abuse furniture.

The Pepp AD was prowling behind their bench. The guys on the LMU board think it was to keep an eye on Good's behavior, so maybe he has a short fuse.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 am

In the immortal words of the Geez...Everybody (LMU young alums) need to "LAY OFF" Coach Max Good at LMU until the season is complete....Do I need to remind folks of the winningest College Basketball coach ever(Who threw chairs, was ejected, slapped players....Bobby Knight......everybody believes he was a fairly good coach....espescielly Coach K at Duke his major supporter and a Bob Knight Protege'.

Some people , I swear, turn off the Oprah channel for a while. Watch one of the MMA programs, or Judge Judy if Max Good venting some of his anger disturbs them....I noticed nothing but good sportsmanship with Rev and the Pilots on the nationwide broadcast....positive reinforcement of the players when they came to the sidelines at the end of regulation, 1st OT, etc....

Wow! this World we live in would be pretty boring if every coach acted sedate like Pew, or RB do in WCC action....We need more bench yellers (Rev), and kickers(Rev) , sometimes a little personality makes the world a better, more interesting place...not condoning ALL of coach Goods behavior though. I think his supervisors down at LMU have mentioned it to him recently though...seems losing teams always bring out the ediquete(SP) experts,lol. Party!!!

MesaPilot1

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Zags just lost. SC was ahead by a couple, but hit two 3's in a row. GU had to resort to fouling to try to get back in and ended up losing by a larger margin. Game was closer than the final score. Looks like it could be a tough game Saturday or maybe SC will be all worn out.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 pm

dholcombe wrote:Zags just lost. SC was ahead by a couple, but hit two 3's in a row. GU had to resort to fouling to try to get back in and ended up losing by a larger margin. Game was closer than the final score. Looks like it could be a tough game Saturday or maybe SC will be all worn out.

Nothing helps the pain of a loss to Stonehouses favorite other WCC team, but the Dons did play well , congrats to them!!! Our RPI just went through the BAsssseeeeeeeeeement!!! affraid

MESAPILOT1 Evil or Very Mad

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:
dholcombe wrote:Zags just lost. SC was ahead by a couple, but hit two 3's in a row. GU had to resort to fouling to try to get back in and ended up losing by a larger margin. Game was closer than the final score. Looks like it could be a tough game Saturday or maybe SC will be all worn out.

Nothing helps the pain of a loss to Stonehouses favorite other WCC team, but the Dons did play well , congrats to them!!! Our RPI just went through the BAsssseeeeeeeeeement!!! affraid

MESAPILOT1 Evil or Very Mad

I posted that during the half. I was thinking we still had a pretty good shot at a win at that point. Uggggghhhhhhhh. Turnovers and missed shots to start the second half.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm

FINALLY somebody pulls it out in a close one and beats Gonzaga instead of it being the other way around. USF 96-91 in OT. Of course they go and hit a 3 to force OT because Few has some pact with the devil...

Robert Sacre is my favorite player for a day for being a moron at the end of regulation. Twisted Evil
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Rev kept saying he thought parity would be good for the conference.

Be careful what you wish for, coach.

DirectTV gets the moron award for ending their broadcast with 2.3 seconds left...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:08 pm

LMU led Pepp late, but a Viney foul on a 3P shooter and a Teel turnover led to a 78 - 75 home win for Pepperdine.

SMC has a one game lead in conference at 5-0, with USF at 4-1. SCU and GU are tied for 3rd at 3-2. Pilots tied for 5th with Pepp at 2-3. LMU at 1-4 and USD at 0-5 bring up the rear.

Pilots have a LOT of work to do to get back to the upper division in conference after this weekend. If course, unless there is a dramatic change in their play, they are capable of losing to anyone. In theory the next game with USD should be a "get well" game, but they better not take anything for granted.

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:45 am

Purplegeezer wrote:Rev kept saying he thought parity would be good for the conference.

Be careful what you wish for, coach.

DirectTV gets the moron award for ending their broadcast with 2.3 seconds left...

Parity would be a good thing if much of the conference hadn't produced such god-awful out of conference records due to injuries and such. If everyone had produced good records the conference would be looking strong. Instead, now it just makes the conference look weak to most people and makes people question how good the teams at the top really are.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 am

It's discussed elsewhere that SMC beat GU in Spokane to move to 6-0; GU falls to 3-3 with a 3 game losing streak for the first time in 14 years.

Surprising USF keeps pace, going to 5-1 by beating LMU by 1 point on the road. Big road win for the Dons. LMU is a tough out for a team that is only 1-5; they'll beat some teams soon.

SCU also got a road victory at Pepperdine, winning by 12 to go 4-2 in conference play.

USF and SCU are looking for real. Pilots will be hard pressed to get into the upper half of the league and avoid an extra game come tourney time. The next two games will be huge challenges to stay within reach of the leaders.

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am

up7587 wrote:It's discussed elsewhere that SMC beat GU in Spokane to move to 6-0; GU falls to 3-3 with a 3 game losing streak for the first time in 14 years.

Surprising USF keeps pace, going to 5-1 by beating LMU by 1 point on the road. Big road win for the Dons. LMU is a tough out for a team that is only 1-5; they'll beat some teams soon.

SCU also got a road victory at Pepperdine, winning by 12 to go 4-2 in conference play.

USF and SCU are looking for real. Pilots will be hard pressed to get into the upper half of the league and avoid an extra game come tourney time. The next two games will be huge challenges to stay within reach of the leaders.

Well, you've got to look at the whole season to gain some perspective of what's going on: USF is 8-10 for the season with a very tough strength of schedule--#29. SCU is 11-9 with a much easier strength of schedule-- #172. We are 15-6 with a SOS of #77 and we're 10-0 at home. I have much more confidence in USF to continue to play well than SCU. In addition, we have four more home games (though 2 are tough) plus 3 easier road games against Seattle U, Pepperdine, and USD. I think a worst case scenario for the rest of the season would be around 5-4 with a 20-10 record which isn't so bad for a year we thought would involve a little bit of rebuilding. A best case scenario would be what realtime rpi is projecting a 23-7 record and going on a 9 game winning streak before losing to SMC on the road. I'll be happy either way...or somewhere in between.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next