Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm

4 posters

Go down

SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm Empty SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Game #3: The Pilots welcomes the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Cougars to the Chiles Center. SIUE is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference, and is located near St. Louis, MO.

So, SIUE has also only played 1 D-I team this year, posting a 74-71 home loss to IPFW. They won their exhibition game and a game against an NAIA team. We will get an early comparison with PSU, as SIUE will visit the park blocks Monday evening.

www.siuecougars.com

That's all I know...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm Empty Re: SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 pm

PilotNut wrote:That's all I know...  
Rev has already told us this game is NOT part of a home-and-home series....UP will not be heading to SIUE next season.  

KenPom rates UP at 121 and SIUE at 286 and favors UP by 11.  (As a comparison, KP rated San Jose St. at 299 when the Pilots defeated them 73-68 in OT....three night later San Jose St. lost to Pepperdine, 63-44).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm Empty Re: SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:31 am

PilotNut wrote:So, SIUE has also only played 1 D-I team this year, posting a 74-71 home loss to IPFW.

SIUE was actually up eight in this one with 9 minutes to go before IPFW reeled off a 16-0 run...those Mastodons, they'll sneak up on ya when you least expect it.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:40 am

Why is SIUE coming to Portland for a couple of games?  I suspect it is because senior Keaton Jackson is a graduate of Prairie High School in Vancouver, USA.  Good move on the part of the staff to see Keaton's fan base invade the Chiles Center.

This is only Jackson's second season with the Cougars, but at 6-10/220, his first season was pretty impressive:
Led the Ohio Valley Conference in field goal percentage (.740)...Was 111 for 150 from the field for the season...Led the Cougars and was second in the OVC with 65 blocked shots, which is second most in a single season, and fifth most in a career at SIUE...Average of 2.1 blocks per game also was second in the OVC and is second best in a career at SIUE...Led the team in rebounding with 5.0 per game...Was third on the team in scoring with 9.3 points per game...Averaged 10.6 points per game in OVC play...Scored a career-high 17points at UT Martin 1/25...Scored in double figures 15 times during the season, second most on the team.
Welcome home,#3 Keaton Jackson!
SIU-Edwardsville @ Portland, Saturday 11/22, 7pm Keaton10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Portland Pilots (2-0) vs. SIU-Edwardsville Cougars (1-1)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014
Tip-off: 7:00 p.m.
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Radio: 910 AM
Live Video: www.PortlandPilots.com
Live Audio: www.PortlandPilots.com
Live Stats: www.PortlandPilots.com

GAME COVERAGE
• All Portland games will be aired on Sports 910 (KMTT) beginning with a 30-minute pregame show and complete postgame coverage. Veteran voice of the Pilots Bill Johnson returns to call the action this season.
• All non-conference home games will have complete HD video coverage featuring multiple cameras, instant replay and graphics will be available at PortlandPilots.com.
• Radio simulcasts and live game statistics will also be available on PortlandPilots.com.

ABOUT SIU-EDWARDSVILLE
• The Cougars (1-1) are a member of the Ohio Valley Conference and opened the season by defeating Harris Stowe (104-56) and then dropped a home game to IPFW (74-71).
• Junior guard Donivine Stewart scored 24 points against IPFW and is averaging 22.0 points and 6.5 rebounds per game thus far.
• Senior guards Kris Davis (14.5) and Michael Messer (12.5) are also averaging double figures.
• Head Coach Lennox Forrester is in his eighth year with the Cougars and guided the team to an 11-20 overall record and 7-9 mark in OVC last year.
• Forrester returns four starters and seven lettermen this season.
• SIU-Edwardsville has advanced to the NCAA Division II Tournament five times, most recently in 2006, before transitioning to Division I in 2007.
• This is the first meeting between the Cougars and the Pilots. SIU-Edwardsville will play at Portland State on Sunday.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Las Vegas favors UP by 13.5 points.

It would appear UP's defense will have to step up against SIUE's perimeter players as they have 3 guards, who together, are averaging close to 50 points per game.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Voldy is 10/11 Including a tre.

Some coaches would say he's not shooting enough.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 pm

I can't remember who posted it...but whoever did, I see what they mean when they guessed V. Gerun as "best newcomer" in the season predictions thread - holy crap he's looked good the last two games! 21 points & 8 rebounds tonight, double-double including baseline J to send 'er into OT against SJSU.

The Pilots thumped a team they should have thumped tonight. Was even fun to see a glimpse of the future in the last five minutes of the game!

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:52 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Best performance by a newcomer:  Voldy!  What?  Yes, I thought Voldy was in so much better physical shape than he was last year, he looks like a new man.....
I doubt anyone would disagree with that assessment at this point....he was really moving freely tonight while just letting his hard work and coaching kick in and not overthinking his game.  UP would not be 3-0 without Voldy.

Once again, the opposition was not the best, but ball movement and the resulting assists was very good tonight.

Interesting that Thomas is yet to get untracked.  He made all the moves, but there was always someone there to swat away the ball.  Still, he and Riley did a good job of rebounding in limited playing time.  Not a good scoring night for Bryce, but it didn't have to be....as he and Alec were all over the court directing and dishing out assists. Bobby played sparingly, but it was obvious by his show of relief when his first 3-pointer went down that he' been in a bit of a funk.

Very impressed with D'Marques' confident shooting and Gabe's overall play.  Philipp still has a lot to learn, but as he will apparently be the Pilots center next year, he's got to get into games and learn while he's playing.  Jason and Max both looked solid in their very limited minutes.  Xubi also looked much more in control and confident.  I've written before that now that he's got Coach Brown mentoring him, he just needs minutes.

Player of the game was obviously Voldy, but Kevin put on some spectacular athletic moves tonight resulting in acrobatic baskets.  

This team, so far, is much better than last year's with greater depth, but I'd still like to see more inside scoring from others to take the pressure off Voldy.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:00 am

Great team performance tonight! Bobby Sharp hit a couple of shots, which is a good sign. But the other big concern is still unresolved: Thomas van der Mars. Another sub-par performance for VDM, with several misses on easy shots right around the rim. What is wrong with him so far?

Barker is not enough of an offensive threat to make up for VDM's off-nights (Barker was 1-4 tonight, 1-6 vs. SJSU). VDM needs to get back on track, and SOON. Murray State is going to be a real challenge on Friday.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:53 pm

Just watched the replay of the game on Pilotsvideo.com

1) The pep band is the best I've heard it over the past few years. It seemed like there were twice as many musicians as there usually are. And a different (much better) drummer than the one who played at the first couple of games. And a healthy dose of cowbell. The band did a GREAT job. Keep it up!

2) Those announcers have almost ruined the experience of watching the game replays. In my opinion, the Athletic Department is wasting any money it spends to pay them. AND we have to listen to them, instead of Bill Johnson. A true lose-lose situation.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down