Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

+5
DoubleDipper
OldePilot
PilotNut
blacksheep
Geezaldinho
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner - Page 2 Empty Re: We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 24, 2022 5:01 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I was hoping the headline, "We Will Be Getting a New WCC Commissioner," was true again.

I have not listened to the interview yet, but the commish has some explaining to do on why $$$$ she let teams (USF, BYU, SCU and GU) just take it upon themselves to cancel games or choose a different opponent this past season.
What??

Canzano was throwing lollipops on this one.  

For a guy who honestly supports women in sports, he could have asked some questions that would have given us some insight into the commissioner's strengths.

At least we now know the commissioner has a 90lbs. Dutch Shepard.  Rolling Eyes

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner - Page 2 Dutch_10

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11238
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner - Page 2 Empty Re: We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

Post by up7587 Tue May 24, 2022 5:09 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I was hoping the headline, "We Will Be Getting a New WCC Commissioner," was true again.

I have not listened to the interview yet, but the commish has some explaining to do on why $$$$ she let teams (USF, BYU, SCU and GU) just take it upon themselves to cancel games or choose a different opponent this past season.
What??

Canzano was throwing lollipops on this one.  

For a guy who honestly supports women in sports, he could have asked some questions that would have given us some insight into the commissioner's strengths.

At least we now know the commissioner has a 90lbs. Dutch Shepard.  Rolling Eyes

Hey, I didn't say it was a good interview. But I thought her answer to this question was lacking self-awareness.

Q: Gonzaga men’s basketball is a national power and an asset to the WCC, but it’s one member of a larger conference. How does the WCC balance serving the bulk of its members while simultaneously promoting/elevating that top asset?

NEVAREZ: The culture of a healthy conference is balance. Teams and schools are going to move up and down the spectrum of strong versus rebuilding and a healthy conference provides opportunities for those rebuilding to improve while not holding back the excellence at the top of the conference. A running joke among commissioners is that if half the schools like you and half don’t on any given issue, you’re probably doing what’s best for the league as a whole.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:10 am

@MountainWest wrote:Please welcome Gloria Nevarez (@GloNevarez) to the Mountain West!

DD's hope comes true.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:16 am

Maybe she'll take Gonzaga to replace San Diego State. But Zags have much higher aspirations.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:37 pm

I am told the new WCC commissioner will be introduced at the WCC Tournament on Saturday...

I have also been told it is a person whose name will be familiar for some.

No, it is not Terry Porter... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:24 pm

Report: West Coast Conference to hire Stu Jackson as new commissioner

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/mar/05/report-west-coast-conference-to-hire-stu-jackson-a/

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner - Page 2 Scree124

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner - Page 2 Stu10

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stu-jackson-32a2a8b
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:33 pm

A Seattle U guy. He can facilitate GU to the Big East and slip SU right in.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:47 pm

up7587 wrote:A Seattle U guy.  He can facilitate GU to the Big East and slip SU right in.
I have been told the two main focuses of the search for a new commissioner were realignment and exposure.

It is too late to have more than nine teams in the conference for next season, but I would not be surprised to see ESPN, and especially ESPN+, become part of the WCC landscape next season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:46 am

DoubleDipper wrote:It is too late to have more than nine teams in the conference for next season, but I would not be surprised to see ESPN, and especially ESPN+, become part of the WCC landscape next season.

So let's get this straight. Stu Jackson ruins my childhood by running the Vancouver Grizzlies into the ground as their GM, and now he suddenly returns to my life after 25 years to ruin my college hoops experience by moving WCC games to a platform I can't watch from my country?

Thanks, Stu, you're the best.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:55 am

It is official: Stu Jackson Appointed West Coast Conference Commissioner

https://wccsports.com/news/2023/3/6/general-stu-jackson-appointed-west-coast-conference-commissioner.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:So let's get this straight. Stu Jackson ruins my childhood by running the Vancouver Grizzlies into the ground as their GM, and now he suddenly returns to my life after 25 years to ruin my college hoops experience by moving WCC games to a platform I can't watch from my country?

Thanks, Stu, you're the best.
Trashed boyhood dreams are the worst, but I apologize for mentioning ESPN+ in my previous post.

The WCC joining forces with ESPN and ESPN+ was merely secondhand speculation after talking with a senior WCC staff member, who will likely retire this summer, on Saturday night.

I believe dissatisfaction with the quality of WCC broadcast through their current partner, Stadium, is the issue the league would like to address and resolve.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:06 am

up7587 wrote:A Seattle U guy.  He can facilitate GU to the Big East and slip SU right in.

I would love to add Seattle U as a replacement for BYU to get the WCC back to 10 schools. They're a natural (and historic) fit, and the men's basketball program has made some really significant strides over the last few years.

I hope Gonzaga stays in the conference, if only for the sake of tradition and institutional/religious alignment, but I'm very, very tired of them jerking UP and the other schools around. For more than a decade now, the WCC has basically done whatever GU men's basketball wanted--whether it's expansion, scheduling, or sharing NCAA Tournament dollars--but every year, we get a new round of leaked stories about Gonzaga talking to the Mountain West/Pac 12/Big 12/Big East. At some point, enough has to be enough.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

wrv, DoubleDipper and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by erikk Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:52 am

Stu Jackson? I guess neither Paul Westhead nor Jerry West was available.

erikk
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:24 am

A Gonzaga-centric interview, but still some insight into Jackson's thoughts on realignment/expansion and scheduling too.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/mar/06/qa-new-wcc-commissioner-stu-jackson-weighs-in-on-c/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:38 am

DoubleDipper wrote:A Gonzaga-centric interview, but still some insight into Jackson's thoughts on realignment/expansion and scheduling too.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/mar/06/qa-new-wcc-commissioner-stu-jackson-weighs-in-on-c/

Subscription required? What's the executive summary?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:48 am

up7587 wrote:Subscription required?  What's the executive summary?
Spokesman Review wrote:S-R: As Gonzaga continues to have conversations with other conferences and examines its future, what does the WCC have to do to ensure it’s a viable option?

Jackson: I think first of all, Gonzaga has such a long history of success that it’s no surprise particularly in this landscape the last five years that people have courted them and it’s no surprise Gonzaga would listen. If I were them I’d listen, particularly in this landscape. Where we stand today, they’re obviously a valuable member of our conference, the gold standard and as we sit here in real time, they’re a member of the WCC. I don’t get the sense they’re going anywhere anytime soon. That doesn’t mean the conversations will cease but if I can offer an opinion, it’s been a positive experience for them. But in terms of retaining them, as a conference we have to continue to get better. That means in areas of competition, scheduling, continuing to within reason improve facilities and strive to be where Gonzaga is. I would tell you finally, my sense from the presidents is they’re committed to doing that. So it won’t happen overnight but over the next several years you’ll see improvement and perhaps Gonzaga at that point, staying might be more beneficial than leaving.

S-R: The other programs in the WCC may not be catching up to Gonzaga per se, but the conference sent three teams to the NCAA Tournament last year and the bottom of the league seems to be better than it’s been in a long time.

Jackson: I’ll tell you what I do know, the middle of the conference has really strengthened. I think case in point, LMU beating both the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in this tournament. If you believe in progression, there’s going to be a trickle down effect. It was just Gonzaga, then it was Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s and now we’re able to throw a couple more schools at least in the competitive mix. Does that mean it will trickle down to the schools that haven’t had as much success? I think so, because the bar is there.

S-R: You mentioned scheduling as an area the WCC needs to grow. What does that look like?

Jackson: It’s helpful when a conference does that. There’s a delicate balance, you never want to take away a coach’s ability to schedule because they do it better than anyone. But the role the conference can play is just give that a little bit of an impetus to make it stronger if you at some point down the road are able to have alliances with other conferences that makes sense, that may even marginally strengthen your schedule. Because every little bit helps.
I left a bunch of GU stuff out...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:01 am

Thanks.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2