Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

+5
DoubleDipper
OldePilot
PilotNut
blacksheep
Geezaldinho
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Empty We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 am

Jamie Zaninovich has moved to the PAC 12

@wilnerhotline: Pac-12 names WCC commish Jamie Zaninovich its deputy commish and COO. He replaces Kevin Weiberg. Starts 7/1

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Empty Re: We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 am

Meanwhile, he is keeping us well informed of what he is doing.

Jamie Zaninovich
@WCC_Commish
Good am of selection/seeding. Initial list of "1st quadrant" set. Taking 10 min break to renergize. Another cran & water 4 me #Selections
2 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

WCC Basketball
@WCChoops
The @WCC_Commish is in Indy with NCAA MBB Committee. ESPN spent a day with him at #WCChoops tourney: es.pn/N8v1PG
13 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

WCC Basketball
@WCChoops
RT @byubasketball BYU guard Kyle Collinsworth to have season-ending surgery. bit.ly/1lY9w33 #BYUhoops
14 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Jamie Zaninovich
@WCC_Commish
Today's stats: My Twitter account's value increased by $10.80 to $1,572.60. Automatically checked by HowMuchisMyTwitterWorth.com
14 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Jamie Zaninovich
@WCC_Commish
That is a wrap on #NCAA MBB Committee #Selections for Day 1. Selected a bunch and seeded a few today. Back at it in the am. @marchmadness
15 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Jamie Zaninovich
@WCC_Commish
Wed night #NCAA MBB Comm. tradition - Italian dinner at legendary Iaria's w/#NCAA staff #Selections @marchmadness http://t.co/b89vUT5iVw
VIEW IMAGE
19 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Jamie Zaninovich
@WCC_Commish
Just pressed "submit" - #NCAA staff tallying now. #Selections RT @marchmadness: The (cont) tl.gd/n8u112
20 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

WCC Basketball
@WCChoops
RT @LMULions MBB | A Lion Returns: Mike Dunlap returns to his alma mater to serve as Head Men's Basketball Coach. fw.to/gMS5DOO #LMULions
21 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Jamie Zaninovich
@WCC_Commish
Happy colleagues RT @marchmadness: #Selections Comm is readysee selfie! Help make most RT’d #MarchMadness photo! http://t.co/aQW3Ae8oGf”
VIEW IMAGE
21 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Empty Re: We will be getting a New WCC commissioner

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 am

Pac12 announcement:

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/03/13/pac-12-names-zaninovich-deputy-commissioner-and-chief-operating-officer
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:50 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:Meanwhile, he is keeping us well informed of what he is doing.

I don't think I'd be tweeting about my new job before my new employer announced it.

Good luck to him. Seems like he did good for the WCC. Who's up next?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:52 am

I'd announce I'm stepping down before my new gig splashes the new hire.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:54 am

Nope. You announce you're quitting. Something last minute changes on the new gig. You're unemployed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:19 am

up7587 wrote:Nope. You announce you're quitting. Something last minute changes on the new gig. You're unemployed.

There is a diference between signing an employment contract and making the announcement.

Common courtesy says you thank your old gig and wish them well

This is kind of like Kim Kardashian marrying Khris Humpreys, them splitting up, her having a baby and finding out its Kanye West's

Tacky tacky.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:42 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:
up7587 wrote:Nope. You announce you're quitting. Something last minute changes on the new gig. You're unemployed.

There is a diference between signing an employment contract and making the announcement.

Common courtesy says you thank your old gig and wish them well

This is kind of like Kim Kardashian marrying Khris Humpreys, them splitting up, her having a baby and finding out its Kanye West's

Tacky tacky.

Did you really just compare Zaninovich to Kim Kardashian?  Evil or Very Mad 
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 am

Got your attention, didn't it?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 pm

IMO, Zaninovich did a very good job of lifting the profile of the conference... there are always growing pains (i.e. this year's hoops schedule), but I think he did exactly what he needed to do.  The WCC's television contracts are pretty darn good.

The next hire will be interesting...  more of the same, or a change in direction?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Kim K. would lift the, err, profile of the conference. Geezer's choice:

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Kimk10

Back to top Go down

Post by OldePilot Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 pm

I thought we outlawed the hidden ball trick. And I'm amazed that was posted by someone other than Double D. Speaking of...never mind.
OldePilot
OldePilot
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 am

OldePilot wrote: And I'm amazed that was posted by someone other than Double D.

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Hmmm10
Hmmmmm, really?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 am

Just saw this post from Jon Wilner, made a few days ago:

College Hotline wrote:Action: West Coast Conference begins search for new commissioner to replace Zaninovoich.
Reaction I: The league is on sound footing, having expanded to 10 schools, re-formatted the basketball tournaments and struck a long-term deal with ESPN just three years ago. The next commish won’t have any fires raging when he/she takes over this summer.
Reaction II: Zaninovich is scheduled to step aside July 1, so I wouldn’t expect a lengthy search – three months, tops. (That doesn’t qualify as lengthy, as these things go.) Two possible candidates come immediately to mind: current COO Lynn Holzman, who joined the conference 18 months ago after many years at the NCAA; and Portland athletic director Scott Leykam, who graduated from Saint Mary’s, worked as a professor at SMC and served as Zaninovich’s top lieutenant for four years before moving to The Bluff in 2012.
Reaction III: Zaninovich was an outside hire in ’08, charged with modernizing the league and finding new sources of cash. But the league has evolved and, at this point, needs a commissioner who understands its culture and the needs of its campuses.

LINK

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:18 am

I gotta admit, when I read that JZ was moving on, UP's Scott Leykam came to mind as a excellent and likely replacement.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 am

DD might be on to something...  I have to think Leykam would be a popular candidate, based on his previous position with the conference.

Oregonian Link

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:49 am

PilotNut wrote:DD might be on to something...  I have to think Leykam would be a popular candidate, based on his previous position with the conference.
Yea, and as I posted in another thread about Marquette, I also believe former UP AD Larry Williams is a strong candidate.

I don't know the composition of the search committee, but it would NOT surprise me if Fr. Bill were a BIG player in the search and decision.....

From a selfish standpoint, I really hope Scott stays at UP.....he's given a great boost to the UP Athletic Department.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:05 pm

The WCC  has a new commissioner.....it's Lynn Holzman.

Holzman is the third full-time WCC Commissioner in conference's 62-year history.

LINK
We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Lynn10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Hmm, I just read the article that accompanied the announcement of Commissioner Holzman's selection.

The article states that.
Over the past year......she was charged with overseeing the conference's day-to-day affairs.....
Should we assume she was the one who gave the final OK for last season's basketball schedule?  If so, that does NOT bode well for her treatment of the Pilots.   Evil or Very Mad

I guess we should give her the benefit of the doubt and give her a clean slate, but I'll be keeping an eye on the decisions coming from the WCC.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:08 am

The article mentioned a unanimous vote (which is not surprising in this type of situation), but I can't imagine UP, GU and USD would have let it get that far without assurances that it would not be repeated if she had anything to do with it.

So... what does the Holzman era hold for the conference? Further expansion? Her leadership could be critical as the BCS conferences begin discussions to change the face of NCAA Div. I...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:02 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I guess we should give her the benefit of the doubt and give her a clean slate, but I'll be keeping an eye on the decisions coming from the WCC.....
PilotNut wrote:So... what does the Holzman era hold for the conference?  Further expansion?  Her leadership could be critical as the BCS conferences begin discussions to change the face of NCAA Div. I...  
And now, after 3.5 years on the job, the third commissioner in 62 years is heading back to Indianapolis as the NCAA VP of Women's Basketball.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-12-14/lynn-holzman-returns-ncaa-vp-womens-basketball?cid=ncaawbkbsocial_tw_sf176348742&sf176348742=1

I haven't seen any announcement from the WCC....
up7587 wrote:Kim K. would lift the, err, profile of the conference.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:54 pm

Who's steering the ship?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2017-12-14/lynn-holzman-returns-ncaa-vp-womens-basketball?cid=ncaawbkbsocial_tw_sf176348742&sf176348742=1

Based upon the above article from the NCAA, ex-WCC Commissioner Holzman starts her new job in Indianapolis on Thursday, and other sources have said she has not been seen in San Bruno "for quite a while."

All I've heard is a few (three) ADs having been focusing on getting a new rudder for the WCC, but I've heard nothing leaked about a possible successor to Holzman.

Anybody got anything to add?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Who's steering the ship?
Just learned that Connie Hurlbut is the WCC Interim Commissioner, and the process of finding the next commissioner won't get any real traction until the WCC schools meet in June.

Connie has been with the WCC for a year, as the Senior Associate Commissioner.

Many of you may remember Glen Layendecker from his time at UP....Glen left UP in 2014 and is the Senior Associate Commissioner/Chief Financial Officer for the WCC.

IMO, the WCC needs to hire someone who is an expert at public relations and can raise the profile of the conference, much in the same mold as former commissioner, Jamie Zaninovich, who is now the Deputy Commissioner of the Pac-12.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue May 24, 2022 8:42 am

Gloria Nevarez has been the WCC commissioner since 2018. She gave an interview to John Canzano: https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-wcc-commissioner-gloria-nevarez?s=r.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

We will be getting a New WCC commissioner Empty Why Aren't We Getting a New WCC Commissioner??

Post by DoubleDipper Tue May 24, 2022 4:18 pm

I was hoping the headline, "We Will Be Getting a New WCC Commissioner," was true again.

I have not listened to the interview yet, but the commish has some explaining to do on why $$$$ she let teams (USF, BYU, SCU and GU) just take it upon themselves to cancel games or choose a different opponent this past season.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next