Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illinois Friday Nov 22nd

+26
purple inside
TaborPilot
pilothouse
wrv
pdxjoe
VillaGorilla
purple haze
purplehaze
bmoline
PurplePrideTrumpet
uclabobby
PilotFan7
Psychotic
dwm
soccerjoy
ejjqb
gxm
A_Fan
DoubleDipper
Stonehouse
OldePilot
Dan No Yell
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
purple passion
gnarly
30 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Illinois Friday Nov 22nd - Page 5 Empty Re: Illinois Friday Nov 22nd

Post by purple haze Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:22 am

A crying shame.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TaborPilot Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 am

What just happened?

It looked to me like the Pilots were awarded a foul. One Pilot thought the place where the ref marked the foul was maybe 5-10 yards away. She tapped the ball toward another Pilot nearer the point of the foul. Illinois intercepted this kick and advanced toward the goal, and scored. Essentially, the first Pilot kicked the dead ball towards the spot of the foul, and Illinois, and apparently the ref, treated this as a quick restart. It was clear that the Pilots did not intend this as a quick restart, both from the vigor and angle of the pass, from the placement and relaxed demeanor of the team members on the field, and from their reaction after Illinois intercepted what they thought was a dead ball and put it into play.

No instant replay, so I'm not sure if this is what really happened. If so, it is HORRIBLE refereeing, which ends up looking like a bonehead play by the Pilots that robbed them of the likely opportunity to win in PKs.

TaborPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by purple inside Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:40 pm

I'd say Illinois did win on PKs  Pull Hair 
(I didn't think there was any contact on the first PK call, but who knows - the feed was choppy.)
Your description of the end is accurate to what I saw. Did we see the first Pilot pass the ball, or was that off-screen? I saw Frisbie waiting for the ball, and of course we know she takes most of the restarts from the back.
Ugh. I can't imagine what the team is feeling, if I'm this bitter....

purple inside
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by TaborPilot Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Does anyone have video of the end of the game?

I also wonder whether the player to whom the ball stealer passed was offsides... Anyone see where the Pilot defenders were?

TaborPilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm

The first PK call looked totally bogus.  An Illinois players totally whiffed on a ball and fell down from the follow through.  There was no Pilot anywhere near her.  Maybe I missed something, but I can't imagine what.

The last play was right in front of me.  The Pilots had a free kick.  Amanda had the ball.  Cruz was about 5 yards in front of Amanda, with her back towards Amanda and heading towards the far goal.  There was an Illinois player right next to Cruz.  Amanda bunted the ball towards Cruz and simultaneously called out "Michelle, [I didn't hear what she said next]."  I'm sure she either wanted Cruz to take the kick or she wanted Cruz to set it up for her.  Amanda very obviously was not intending to take the free kick.  Cruz didn't see what was happening.  The Illinois player saw the ball and took it and headed for the goal.  Amanda did a double take and tried to defend, but that was it.  I don't know where the ref and the sideline assistant were, I was watching the play.

I knew Amanda wasn't intending to be taking the kick, but right away I said to myself, "Uh oh."

What a very bad way for it to end.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Not that anyone really wants to re-live it, but here is the last goal:

Such a heartbreaking way to end the year, but what a season it was for the Pilots! This group deserves A LOT of credit... we got back to the Top 5, we broke student attendance records, and these seniors saw us through the challenge of a couple of tough years and did indeed make the program return to glory.

My heart goes out to the players... such a horrible way to end it. But I have nothing but pride and admiration for what they accomplished this year.

Plus, the future looks very bright indeed! Let's get 'em next year. Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm sure there's a pretty big piece of missing video there. The foul you're seeing is not the one from which the ending started.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:26 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:I'm sure there's a pretty big piece of missing video there.  The foul you're seeing is not the one from which the ending started.
???

I don't think so. That was recorded directly from the live stream.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:33 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote:I'm sure there's a pretty big piece of missing video there.  The foul you're seeing is not the one from which the ending started.
Well, whatever that video is, it looks like the blue team scored a good goal.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Wow, I've looked at that about 10 times. It doesn't look like anything I saw. Maybe I'm proving the eyewitness testimony is not good.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by uclabobby Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:57 pm

So confusing. Looks like she kicked it pretty much exactly at the spot of the foul and even deadened it before kicking. Seems clean to me.

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Looks like an unfortunate miscommunication at the back. After the foul, McKluskie kicks the ball lightly to her left, in Frisbie's direction, while Frisbie is moving forward. Since Frisbie usually takes the free kicks, my guess is she thought McKluskie just overhit it (or maybe she did) and started jogging to retrieve it, which was why she was caught off-guard by the steal.

What the ref probably saw: a poor decision for a free kick, but fair.
What Illinois saw: the best opportunity they would probably get all game.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Illinois Friday Nov 22nd - Page 5 Empty Eyewitness

Post by bluffMAGIC Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:05 pm

There the whole game with the squad.
1) First PK the illinois girl actually swung, slipped, and tripped over the ball, then ran into kurle.
2)The 2nd PK was legit.
3) The end of the game was well, just a joke.

And to think referee Chris Greer screwed up last year too.
http://akronsportsnow.com/archives/321/file-this-under-cheated/

bluffMAGIC
bluffMAGIC
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 pm

After thinking about what I thought a saw and heard and looking at the video, the video obviously shows what I saw even if it isn't what I remember seeing. Amanda was communicating something to Cruz. The best I can come up with is miscommunication as Lo was sending the ball to Amanda. Or, other possibility, Lo was not intending to re-start. What a bummer.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Tough way to end the season. Heads up Pilots. Here's to next year.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by ninjapizza Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Looks like my interpretation of the video was correct: http://www.oregonlive.com/pilots/index.ssf/2013/11/pilots_womens_soccer_teams_sea.html

Illinois (11-8-3) rallied from a 3-1 deficit midway through the second half and won on Jannelle Flaws’ 23rd goal of the season. It was a shot that never should have happened, Frisbie contends. Moments before, Illinois was called for a foul, creating a free kick for Portland (17-3-1) on its defensive end of the field. Frisbie, a senior, was about to take the free kick when Illinois forward Megan Pawloski stole the ball.

“It wasn’t near the spot where it was supposed to be set and the ball never stopped. It was never in play. I went to grab it and put it in the spot and they grabbed it,” Frisbie said. “I was confused because I didn’t think it was in play.”

The flatfooted Portland defense could not recover before Pawloski passed to a wide-open Flaws, whose shot from 10 feet eluded goalkeeper Erin Dees.
Bummer.
ninjapizza
ninjapizza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:07 pm

There was some bad calls. And some unfortunate calls.
There was some miscommunication.
But, and it hurts me to say it, we got out played.

I hope next year we win more 50/50 balls.
We move to loose balls better.
We don't pass across the face of the goal.

Go Pilots!

Last edited by Dan No Yell on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjoy Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:50 pm

In spite of the emotions and pain we're feeling for the players today Crying or Very sad, we enjoyed watching great Pilot soccer this fall!  Seniors, thank you for your spirit and skills, and the way you never gave up no matter who got injured during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Everyone else, thank you, and we look forward to another great season next year!
We are the U of P!

soccerjoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 pm

soccerjoy wrote:In spite of the emotions and pain we're feeling for the players today Crying or Very sad, we enjoyed watching great Pilot soccer this fall!  Seniors, thank you for your spirit and skills, and the way you never gave up no matter who got injured during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Everyone else, thank you, and we look forward to another great season next year!
We are the U of P!
I second that, for sure.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Here's the first PK call. Dubious at best.

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by uclabobby Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:33 pm

All I can see in slo-mo is the defender's left arm is outstretched and the offense falls forward, which is consistent with a push. But still, let them play!

uclabobby
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:54 am

From my seat in the bleachers, about what seemed like a mile from the field it was a game of many emotions.  Pure joy at the first two goals, concern at the goal by UI, joy again with the Pilots  third goal, outrage at the play that caused the Villains to chant "Diver, Diver" and led to UI's second goal followed by a bad feeling with the second penalty, then great hope for Dees to stop the shot followed by disappointment as the shot went in.  The overtime brought hope as the Pilots controlled much of the play and then finally astonishment at the last call and a great sadness then pride watching the team console each other at this bitter defeat.  We all stayed to salute the team as a very dejected bunch came over to applaud the fans for the last time in this 2013 season.

After a good night's sleep and on a bright sunny, but cold morning I have a great appreciation for what this team and the staff accomplished this season.  They put in a lot of hard work and provided us all with a chance to see some wonderful soccer.  The outcome was not what any of us had hoped for, but the road that lead to this final game is a testament these young women and their dedication to their sport.  I wish them the best in whatever direction their future takes them.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:14 am

A_Fan wrote:After a good night's sleep and on a bright sunny, but cold morning I have a great appreciation for what this team and the staff accomplished this season.  They put in a lot of hard work and provided us all with a chance to see some wonderful soccer.  The outcome was not what any of us had hoped for, but the road that lead to this final game is a testament these young women and their dedication to their sport.  I wish them the best in whatever direction their future takes them.
Thanks for that A_F, I think many of your fellow fans need words like that this morning.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11253
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 pm

I didn't get a chance to watch the game because of work, but I did see some of the comments here.

Several comments on Lou getting injured and Amanda too. I saw a couple of the late season regular games and Amanda was really hobbling and not 100%.

One of the things that allowed this team to succeed was having fresh legs come in to get the starters a blow. We had both Emily and Noelle have great years and getting regular minutes most games.

What we did not see was the coaching staff develop some of the younger defenders so that they could come in and give some of the back line a break. By develop I mean getting 20-30 minutes on a regular basis. We have the developing Edenstrom, Hall and Bindl to name a few that did not get very minutes this year. At the same time Viera, Amanda and Lou played a full 90 almost every game. I would have liked to see the things we did up front happen with the back line too. We could have used some qualify subs when our starters were hobbled.

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:54 pm

The coaching staff stared two freshmen on the back line this year, one of them virtually every minute of every game. And they were paired on the wings with classmates much of the time.I think it does them a disservice to claim they ignored youngsters.

I rather think that is what made Amanda's presence on the back line all the more important.

Next year they, along with LO and Rebekka will be the seasoned veterans to help the ones with less experience.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11804
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next