Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Clara -- Thursday 11/7

+11
gnarly
pdxjoe
uclabobby
Geezaldinho
Stonehouse
estplnr
UPSoccerFanatic
A_Fan
Dan No Yell
Auto-Pilot
DoubleDipper
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Santa Clara -- Thursday 11/7 - Page 2 Empty Re: Santa Clara -- Thursday 11/7

Post by Dan No Yell Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 pm

We sat the student side, as we often do.
They can be rough and rude.
Last night, during a throw in, toward the end of the game, near the drum squad, frustrated SC player was complaining to the security guard who was ignoring her. I couldn't figure out what she was complaining about. In retrospect she probably didn't like that there flags and half naked men crowding her (in her opinion). It was a sign of how much we took them out of their game. I think a focused player wouldn't have noticed. A smart player would have gotten the ball quickly into play when her team was down 2 goals and time was running out. What did she think a part time, glorified usher was going to do?

I have to think that most teams love coming to Merlo. Which is more demoralizing; playing in front 1,000s of hostile fans on a first class field with first class facilities or playing on a hard caked weed encrusted lot in front of a few bored parents? (OK, SCU has comparatively good facilities and attendance, but still.)

Dan No Yell
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Dan No Yell wrote:

I have to think that most teams love coming to Merlo. Which is more demoralizing; playing in front 1,000s of hostile fans on a first class field with first class facilities or playing on a hard caked weed encrusted lot in front of a few bored parents? (OK, SCU has comparatively good facilities and attendance, but still.)
Several coaches, including UNC, FSU, and Texas, have commented on the great atmosphere at Merlo and Dorance even said he wished his fans were like that.

For the record, last year's attendance at Santa Clara was 692 for the rivalry game.
I'll bet a pretty good chunk of that was Pilot fans.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto-Pilot Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Fantastic effort by the Pilots! I thought their best execution of the season was in the first half against Wake Forest, but this was as good and for the full 90! I can't think of a single Pilot on the field who did not contribute and exert optimal effort! Special recognition to Ellen Parker and Danica (who battled all night), Micaela (who logged many miles & had two assists), Dees (who had multiple crucial saves!) and the defense (who stymied a potent offense). Congrats!

Let's hope they stay focused and build on this in the game on Sat.

Many ex-players spotted at the game - Ellie, Keelin, Dani, Kassie.
Auto-Pilot
Auto-Pilot
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-10-04

https://www.facebook.com/casero

Back to top Go down

Post by purplehaze Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 pm

As others have said, this was perhaps the best performance from a Pilots side that I have seen in the last three years, with the exception of the first half of Wake Forest, though I think I could make a case that this trumps that. I actually stayed up until 1 am and then watched the entire game on tv. It was beautiful. The commentator who was a former SCU player talked about the hostile environment four times. Really? SCU choked and Portland continues to grow each week. Frisbee's header off the corner, LaProvatte's emergence as a consistent scorer, the defensive line, Ellie (is she really a freshman? She reminds me of Stephanie Lopez the way she goes forward. Lorielle has come into her own. I love it when Sippel comes in. She makes things happen. Parkes, Ariel, Allison, Danica, Rebekah, Ellen, Amanda all amazing last night. And Dees!!! The only goal was a PK. Not bad. Not bad at all.

purplehaze
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:15 am

Dan No Yell wrote:Downing?
Yep....she's graduating; it's time for her to get on with her life beyond soccer.

(confirmed by Garrett)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2