Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7

+4
Pilot2002
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7 Empty Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 am

Santa Clara is 7-8 and 2-2 in the WCC, and they are 2-3 on the road this season, including 1-1 in the WCC.

Last year the teams split their two games with each team winning on the road.  Portland won 76-64 at Santa Clara after the Broncos won 76-68 in Portland.  In Portland, Santa Clara's guard trio of Evan Roquemore, Brandon Clark and Jared Brownridge each scored 20 points, including each hitting 5 of 6 from the free throw line. Roquemore has graduated, but the other two are still the scoring leaders for the Broncos.

The Pilot should see Kevin Bailey return to limited action against SCU as he tests his foot in game conditions and starts working himself back into game shape.  The Pilots may also see some action from Aitor Zubizarreta (Xubi) as Bryce seemed a bit dinged up toward the end of the GU game last Saturday.

Click here to see a video preview of the game from CampusInsiders.com.  http://thew.tv/videos/santa_clara_at_portland_preview_2015_01_06_16_06
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7 Empty Re: Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7

Post by PilotNut Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:36 am

SCU's 2-2 WCC record is the result of a road loss @SMC (73-60), road win @Pac (57-40), home loss to BYU (81-46) and a home win over USD (59-56). The only non-conf common opponent was @SJSU, with SCU winning 61-50.

It doesn't look like SCU scores a lot of points... and as Brownridge and Clark go, so go the Broncos. I really hope Bryce is able to play a lot of minutes, as we will really need defense from the guards.

It will be good to ge KB back on the floor at home!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:12 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Click here to see a video preview of the game from CampusInsiders.com.  http://thew.tv/videos/santa_clara_at_portland_preview_2015_01_06_16_06

Nice quick preview...and had a good laugh at this particular "From Our Partners" link at the bottom -

Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7 L4hkPty

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Wait...
How'd you get five stars?

Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7 5383bd8592e3332330c1bc81c7d1e812

Were they throwing them off a Mardi Gras float or something?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Whoa, did you have a double espresso or something and just start noticing things??  Nut has been a 5-Star since the beginning of PN.....and he's not the only one.

Relax....none of you 5-Stars will be called to active duty anytime soon. I'm old!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Wait...

It's good to be the King. Twisted Evil

I actually think I earned them by taking Jaeger shots at the T-Room...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:07 pm

PilotNut wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:Wait...

It's good to be the King. Twisted Evil

I actually think I earned them by taking Jaeger shots at the T-Room...

If shots are the criteria I think DD and I both earned a couple dozen more.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:
If shots are the criteria I think DD and I both earned a couple dozen more.
Yeah, probably....but I'm good with being "just" a 4-Star....thanks
Santa Clara @ Pilots Thursday @ 7 250px-10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Um, back to basketball.....

Las Vegas opened with UP favored by 8.5.....but it is now UP by 8.
KenPom is going with UP by 7.

I would really like to see the Pilots clamp down on defense against the Bronco's outsides shooters, work the ball inside on offense, and go to the free-throw line without trying to run with the smaller SCU team.

Lesson learned against BYU.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot2002 Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:47 pm

I see the Pilots using the 3 big man lineup quite a bit in this game. SCU tallest players are 6'9" and only 1 of them plays significant minutes.  

The Pilots need to force SCU into outside shooting.  They have only made 80 3-pointers on the year and only shoot around 35% as a team.  Outside of Brownridge, they don't shoot the 3's very well.

Defensive rebounding will be a big factor.  Pilots cannot give up offensive rebounds.  

This will be an interesting game if Bryce is unable to play and KB is coming back with limited playing time.  This could be an ugly game to watch with both teams going on spurts scoring and then going on dry spells.

It will be interesting to see Alec vs. Clark.  Is Clark quick enough to stay in front of Alec?

Pilot2002
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:09 pm

From the Pilots:
INJURY UPDATES
• Senior G Kevin Bailey is probable to return on Thursday after missing the previous eight games with a foot injury suffered in the first half against Portland State on Dec. 3.
• Junior G Bryce Pressley suffered a concussion late in Saturday night's loss against Gonzaga and is questionable for Thursday.
• Senior G David Carr is out for the season with a torn ACL suffered in the offseason.
FRESHMEN BREAK OUT
• Freshman G Jason Todd has played effective minutes since moving into the rotation over the last 11 games.
• He is averaging 21.9 minutes over that span and shooting 54 percent from the field, including 9-of-15 from three-point range. More importantly, Todd has been one of the team's best perimeter defenders and can play multiple positions on the wing or as a stretch four.
• Todd, the two-time Washington Gatorade State Player of the Year at Mill Creek HS, grabbed a season-high eight rebounds versus Montana State and scored a season-best nine points versus Gonzaga.
• Freshman G D'Marques Tyson has also had a great impact already. He scored a season-high 25 points off the bench in Portland's loss to Valparaiso at the Challenge in Music City. Tyson finished the game 9-for-11 from the field and 6-for-8 from three-point range. He also had 13 first half points in the road win at San Diego.
• Tyson is second on the team with 23 three-pointers made this season and is shooting 40 percent from beyond the arc.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 am

How did Bryce get a concussion?

What's the starting line-up going to look like tonight?
Wintering, VDM, Gerun, Sharp, Todd?

I don't think we should mess around with the triple-towers starting line-up anymore, especially not tonight. Santa Clara's guards are too quick.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1397
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Wintering, Sharp, Bailey, Gerun, van der Mars is my guess at a starting five. If Bailey's not close to 100% then I don't think they play him, and if Bailey's close to 100% then he's sure good enough to start!

Also...Aitor Zubizaretta, 4.5 minutes played - you guys taking the over or the under? (I'll go Over)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:07 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Wintering, Sharp, Bailey, Gerun, van der Mars is my guess at a starting five. If Bailey's not close to 100% then I don't think they play him, and if Bailey's close to 100% then he's sure good enough to start!

Also...Aitor Zubizaretta, 4.5 minutes played - you guys taking the over or the under? (I'll go Over)
It's now UP by 7.5; o/u 127.

Yeah, Xubi should see a good chunk of action tonight....he's ready, but will he be able to avoid fouls and turnovers? Sometimes he's just too keyed-up in his limited action.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by newpilotfan Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:23 pm

Look what I found online http://kevinbailey00.com/?page_id=355

Looks like KB is back.

newpilotfan
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Any update on Barker would be appreciated. TheW.tv pooped out after it went to commercial break following his injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:28 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Any update on Barker would be appreciated. TheW.tv pooped out after it went to commercial break following his injury.

Coach Jackson said he hyperextended and there appears to be no structural damage. He will probably miss ' a game or two',

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:33 pm

newpilotfan wrote:Look what I found online http://kevinbailey00.com/?page_id=355

Looks like KB is back.

Nice to see him back he doesn't quite have the Quickness and is undoubtedly not in game shape, but people still have to watch him.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Wintering, Bench Guide Shorthanded Pilots Past Santa Clara

On the Web:  www.portlandpilots.com/news/2015/1/8/MBB_0108155435.aspx

PORTLAND, Ore. – Sophomore point guard Alec Wintering continued his magnificent season with a game-high 26 points to lead the Portland Pilots to a 78-61 West Coast Conference win over the Santa Clara Broncos Thursday night at the Chiles Center. The Pilot bench outscored Santa Clara’s by a 31-19 margin.

Portland’s depth showed as the Pilots (11-5, 2-2 WCC) were without starting guard Bryce Pressley (concussion) and then reserve center Riley Barker went down with a knee injury early in the first half and did not return.

The Pilots did benefit from the return of senior guard Kevin Bailey, who missed the previous eight games with a foot injury. Bailey scored four points in 11 minutes off the bench.

Head coach Eric Reveno turned to sophomore guard Aitor Zubizarreta for his first career start and the Pilots set the tone defensively in the first period. Portland held Santa Clara (7-9, 2-3) to 35 percent shooting en route to a 30-25 halftime lead.

The offense picked up in the second half as the Pilots shot 63 percent from the field and made 6-of-9 three-pointers. Senior guard Bobby Sharp drilled three triples in the period to create separation down the stretch.

Freshmen Jason Todd and Gabe Taylor each recorded season-highs of 12 points off the bench for the Pilots. Todd drilled 3-of-4 three-pointers for the game, while Taylor finished 5-for-5 from the field.

Wintering has been a star all season for Portland, but has picked up his production even more through the first four WCC games. After hitting the buzzer-beating game-winning three-pointer at San Diego, the Charlotte native is now averaging a league-best 21.5 points in conference games. He added four rebounds, four assists and two steals on Thursday.

Portland used its size and physicality to dominate the rebounding margin by a 34-17 margin. Senior center Thomas van der mars led the way with a game-high 12 rebounds. The Pilots shot 53 percent from the field for the game, while the Broncos finished at 44 percent overall.

The Pilots will have a quick turnaround and host the San Francisco Dons on Saturday at 1 p.m. for the WCC Game of the Week. The game will be televised live on ROOT Sports, Time Warner Cable SportsNet, and CSN California. Radio coverage begins at 12:30 p.m. on Sports 910 (KMTT).

Newspaper Box Score
Santa Clara vs Portland
01/08/15 7:00 PM at Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
At Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)

PORTLAND 78, SANTA CLARA 61

SANTA CLARA (7-9 (2-3 WCC))
JOHNSON, Denzel 5-8 2-2 13; RICHARD, Jalen 4-6 3-6 13; BROWNRIDGE, Jared 2-6
4-4 10; KRATCH, Nate 5-8 0-0 10; CLARK, Brandon 3-11 2-2 9; PUGH, Jarvis 3-5
0-0 6; HEALY, Kai 0-3 0-0 0; WARDLOW, Evan 0-0 0-0 0; NDUMANYA, Emmanuel 0-1
0-0 0; HUBBARD, Matt 0-2 0-0 0. Totals 22-50 11-14 61.

PORTLAND (11-5 (2-2 WCC))
WINTERING, Alec 8-13 9-9 26; TAYLOR, Gabe 5-5 2-4 12; TODD, Jason 3-5 3-4
12; SHARP, Bobby 3-5 0-0 9; VAN DER MARS, Thomas 3-6 2-3 8; GERUN, Volodymyr
1-3 2-2 4; BAILEY, Kevin 1-4 2-2 4; TYSON, D'Marques 1-1 0-0 3; LIVINGSTON,
Max 0-0 0-0 0; BARKER, Riley 0-0 0-0 0; HARTWICH, Philipp 0-1 0-0 0;
ZUBIZARRETA, Aitor 0-4 0-0 0. Totals 25-47 20-24 78.

Santa Clara...................   25   36  -   61
Portland......................   30   48  -   78

3-point goals--Santa Clara 6-17 (RICHARD, Jalen 2-2; BROWNRIDGE, Jared 2-5;
JOHNSON, Denzel 1-2; CLARK, Brandon 1-6; HEALY, Kai 0-1; HUBBARD, Matt 0-1),
Portland 8-15 (TODD, Jason 3-4; SHARP, Bobby 3-4; WINTERING, Alec 1-1;
TYSON, D'Marques 1-1; BAILEY, Kevin 0-1; ZUBIZARRETA, Aitor 0-4). Fouled
out--Santa Clara-None, Portland-None. Rebounds--Santa Clara 17 (PUGH, Jarvis
4), Portland 34 (VAN DER MARS, Thomas 12). Assists--Santa Clara 11 (RICHARD,
Jalen 4), Portland 12 (WINTERING, Alec 4). Total fouls--Santa Clara 20,
Portland 17. Technical fouls--Santa Clara-None, Portland-None. A-1415

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:Any update on Barker would be appreciated. TheW.tv pooped out after it went to commercial break following his injury.
Yeah, as Geez said, a possible hyperextension....but it will take an MRI tomorrow to get an answer. 

Fortunately the incident happened when was going straight ahead and attempted to stop before going over the end line....not a lateral move. 

Loved that Rev immediately rushed to Riley's side, and it was obvious Rev was more than just a little upset at the sight of his big guy lying on the court in pain.

Fingers crossed....not just for the team, but for Riley personally.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:52 pm

That o/u bet was looking like a sure under at half time. But good shooting by both teams in the 2nd half cleared it easily.

Nice bookends: it took SCU 6 minutes in to get their second basket at the start of the game as the Pilots took a 9 point lead. And then after being up only 5 with a bit over 10 minutes to go, the Pilots outscored them by 12 to finish the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpstop Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Coming into the game, it seemed on paper that Portland's bigs and Santa Clara's back court would have the advantages. When I heard Pressley was out, I was thinking that Santa Clara's guards Clark and Brownridge were going to put on a show. They combine for about 30 points a game, and they didn't really do a lot tonight. Clark was 3-11 and Brownridge really didn't do anything offensively until the game was already out of reach. Nice work by the Pilot's back court.

jumpstop
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotdad1 Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 pm

I didnt get to see too much of the game as I was enjoying some time with a certain alumni who is home for a few days. What I did notice was the great rebounding by the Pilots, they owned the boards something like 34 to 17. Nice job Thomas. I thought for sure that the game would be decided in the post but it turns out that the guards were the strong scoring option with Alec, Todd, and Sharp contributing nicely.

Prayers for Riley, hoping for a negative MRI tomorrow. The team definitely needs his presence as he has been playing very well this season.

pilotdad1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:05 pm

Had fun watching Aitor tonight. Didn't try to do too much in his new role. Desperately wanted one of his four good looks to fall for him - really thought splashing one down would give him a great deal of confidence.

Hopeful for Barker. Have a soft spot for him and hope he can be back soon, but that sure didn't look good when he went down. Happy to see there may be no structural damage, because my first thought when he went down is that we just saw Riley's last minutes as a Pilot.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:25 pm

The Pilots were in control the entire game against what Mrs. DD called a team of "rug rats," but it wasn't easy finding the right combination to finally do them in.

Very sold defensive performance from Xubi, who's dad was in attendance for his very first Pilots game outside of Spain, and excellent all-around play from the freshmen Jason and Gabe.

Once the Pilots opened it up a bit in the last 10 minutes and started converting from the outside after dominating the inside, the game was finally put away with Bobby and Jason hitting big threes when they were needed.  For those who did not see the game....Tyson's three as the clock expired was a desperation shot that just happened to go in off the backboard....god it made me feel good to see Coach Keating just shaking his head and watching D'Marquez laughing all the way down the court.

The downside: defense in middle with open lanes to the basket for SCU.  Maybe the defenders were keying on the outside shooters leaving the middle open, but whatever the reason, it left more than one Pilots fan shaking their head at the continuous drives to the basket....both team scored 28 points in the paint.

Good to see KB back on the court, but his skill level and game shape was no more than 20% of normal...but as was mentioned, he was still dragging a defender away from his teammates who were shooting well.  I think KB had a dunk and two free throws, and his teammates went nuts when he finally made his first basket since December 3rd.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next