Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga Notes

+12
wrv
StudentPilot
up7587
ExpatPilot
blacksheep
PilotNut
PurplePrideTrumpet
dholcombe
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
16 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Gonzaga Notes - Page 6 Empty Re: Gonzaga Notes

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:30 pm

I still haven’t seen anything about what the Big12 will offer BYU in terms of broadcast rights for its BYUTV channel.

That was a sticking point the last time BYU joining the conference was discussed.

The Zags leaving is a step removed from solving that issue.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11805
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 pm

Official statement from new Gonzaga AD Chris Standiford on Mark Few’s DUI charge:

Gonzaga Notes - Page 6 Mark_f11
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11262
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:39 pm

KXLY.com wrote:Gonzaga men’s basketball coach Mark Few spoke out on Tuesday following reports he was cited for drunk driving.
“I believe as a leader and role model, I am expected to set only the best example. The decisions I made yesterday do not exemplify this standard and for that, I sincerely apologize to you all. I recognize that operating a motor vehicle after consuming any amount of alcohol exhibits poor judgment. Regardless of the outcome of the pending investigation, I will never allow such a lapse in judgment to occur again. Please know that I am committed to learning from this mistake and will work to earn back your trust in me. I deeply regret disappointing any of the members of the community, the young men and women who comprise my campus community, and the University as a whole. In particular, I am sorry for the hurt that I have caused to those most important to me – my family, my players, and my program. I am exceedingly grateful to those who continue to offer support to me, especially my wife and children. Thank you.”

https://www.kxly.com/i-sincerely-apologize-to-you-all-gonzaga-coach-mark-few-shares-statement-following-dui-citation/
found via GU Boards

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:04 pm

How Gonzaga Responds to Mark Few’s DUI is Important

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2021/9/8/22661994/mark-few-dui-gonzaga-bulldogs-response
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:50 pm

Spokesman-Review wrote:Gonzaga basketball coach Mark Few’s breath smelled of alcohol and he had bloodshot eyes on the night he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, though he initially told a police officer he had not been drinking, according to newly released documents.

“Mark told me he had spent the day with his family. I asked him how much he had to drink today and Mark told me nothing. I did not believe that Mark was being truthful based on my previously stated observations,” Officer Matthew Lovingler is quoted as saying in the document that details his interactions with Few during a traffic stop Monday night in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

Under further questioning by the officer, Few eventually said he had two beers that day, with his last beer coming about four hours before he was pulled over, according to the probable cause declaration filed by the officer.

Lovingler said in the documents that he asked Few to perform a field sobriety test but the officer said Few began arguing with him about whether or not the tests were subjective. Based on his observations, Lovingler determined it was unsafe for Few to drive a car and he handcuffed and arrested Few.

Few provided breath samples at the scene of .119 and .120, which is above the legal limit of .08. He was then taken at his request to a hospital to receive an independent blood draw. While there, Lovingler was contacted by his superiors and directed to release Few from custody and issue him a DUI citation. Few called a friend to pick him up from the hospital.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Mark Few is an intensely private man, a good man, who did something colossally dumb, and I am guessing this is a traumatizing moment for him as his name is dragged across social media.

Few and his wife Marcy are pillars in the Spokane community, and have helped raise $millions in the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign.

Perhaps it was a godsend that no one, including Few, was physically hurt.  He will pay a deserved price, and the yakkers will yak, but he is still a good man who has shown he is as human as any of us.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Pilot14 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:57 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Mark Few is an intensely private man, a good man, who did something colossally dumb, and I am guessing this is a traumatizing moment for him as his name is dragged across social media.

Few and his wife Marcy are pillars in the Spokane community, and have helped raise $millions in the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign.

Perhaps it was a godsend that no one, including Few, was physically hurt.  He will pay a deserved price, and the yakkers will yak, but he is still a good man who has shown he is as human as any of us.

I find Few's outright lie to the police about drinking at all disturbing. An adage I have heard is to the effect that a man's character is amplified in a crisis. In considering a proper way to address this, I hope the Jesuits take into account the  outright misrepresentation to the police. Few deservers plaudits for what he has done in the community, but it should not serve to absolve him completely.

And that ain't no yak.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:12 pm

Not defending Few's actions, but wondering what any of us under the duress (scared s---less!) of being pulled over by police and under the influence of alcohol, that registered 0.12, would say in the same situation.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:01 pm

StudentPilot wrote:Not defending Few's actions, but wondering what any of us under the duress (scared s---less!) of being pulled over by police and under the influence of alcohol, that registered 0.12, would say in the same situation.

I care less about Few’s actions under duress than I do about the message Gonzaga will send in how it deals with Few.

While not on the same level as Josh Heytvelts felony drug incident, let’s remember that Josh Perkins was suspended from games for exercising ‘bad judgement’ with respect to alcohol use and no arrest or citation.

Let’s see if the same standards apply to the coach.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:53 am

I do not think that the level of alcohol revealed in the breath test nor the so-called "duress" under which Few labored impaired him such that he did not consciously know he was telling multiple lies about his drinking. The investigating officer found this public figure's comments telling and included them in his report. Not everyone in those circumstances does the same.

Justice delayed is justice denied: let's hope there is not great delay in addressing the issue.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:38 am

wrv wrote:Justice  delayed is justice denied: let's hope there is not great delay in addressing the  issue.
Not sure if a month is considered delayed justice but Coach Few has been suspended for the first four "events" of the season... Rolling Eyes

1. Kraziness in Kennel
2. Exhibition game against NAIA Eastern Oregon
3. Exhibition game against NAIA Lewis-Clark State
4. Season opener against #328 Dixie State

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2021/10/9/22717955/mark-fews-punishment-announced
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:41 pm

I guess it is good for Few that he is suspended for 4 events instead of 4 games or he would have missed the game in Spokane against Texas...but maybe the GU AD knew that.   Razz

The school is still called Dixie St?  And they are located in Utah?
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Rough day for the sanctimonious GU fans that like to drone on about how their program is different. Turns out it’s not.

The worst part of it is adding an exhibition game in a woefully obvious attempt to lengthen the suspension. At the end of the day, he gets suspended for 1 regular season game and it’s against Dixie State. Full disrespect meant to Dixie State.

Any meaningful suspension would have included the Texas game. This is a minor poke to the wrist, not even a slap.

@willmaup wrote:Mark Few, the leader, will miss exactly as many regular season games as Josh Perkins, a sophomore, did for essentially the same charge. One was driving, one wasn’t. It’s fair to say Gonzaga’s not the do what’s right all the time program it once was.

https://twitter.com/willmaup/status/1446893160286724097?s=21

Will Maupin’s take. I don’t disagree.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

StudentPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:Rough day for the sanctimonious GU fans that like to drone on about how their program is different. Turns out it’s not.

The worst part of it is adding an exhibition game in a woefully obvious attempt to lengthen the suspension. At the end of the day, he gets suspended for 1 regular season game and it’s against Dixie State. Full disrespect meant to Dixie State.

Any meaningful suspension would have included the Texas game. This is a minor poke to the wrist, not even a slap.
Agreed, adding that exhibition game to the schedule made the whole "punishment" thing an obvious farce. This will be the first time GU has played two exhibition games instead of one exhibition and one secret scrimmage since 2006.

Few is fortunate, many of us would have been immediately fired from our jobs for the same offense.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:14 am

StudentPilot wrote:The school is still called Dixie St?  And they are located in Utah?
Some in Utah are still fighting to hold onto the Dixie name but apparently the newest selected name, Utah Tech, is going through a series of boards and legislatures before its expected adoption this coming spring.  

The initial proposal was for the university to be named Utah Polytechnic State, but that was turned down by the trustees who were concerned the polytechnic school would be referred to as Utah Poly…a name that some associated with Utah Polygamy.  pale

Gonzaga Notes - Page 6 Save_d10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

bullwinkle and StudentPilot like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:24 pm

The AP wrote:Gonzaga coach Mark Few has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor driving under the influence in Idaho and must pay a fine of $1,000 in lieu of spending four days in jail, according to court documents.

He must also perform 24 hours of community service and his driver’s license was suspended until Nov. 5, after which he will be required to use an ignition interlock device while on unsupervised probation for the next year. Few has completed a required alcohol and drug class.

Few entered the plea during a hearing Friday, saying he was “pleading guilty because I am guilty,” according to the court documents.

The 58-year-old Few had faced a maximum penalty of six months in jail.
https://apnews.com/article/sports-college-sports-basketball-mens-college-basketball-college-basketball-1b7fdc4ffc3491f434f87c518fb40136?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Top25
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:06 pm

If you care about the Few Brouhaha, TMZ Sports has the video. I haven't watched.
https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/26/mark-few-arrest-video-coach-combative-with-cops-rgonzaga-basketball/

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Zags lose a close game to Duke. Hate to see ferret face win.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:10 pm

Did not watch GU's game with Memphis tonight. Looking at some Twitter, Few and Timme were praising Nembhard for making 4 FTs under pressure. Thought I'd check the box score. No wonder. In a game the Zags eked out by 4 points, they shot 54% on FTs, 13-24. Yikes. They are not likely to win four more games with that kind of FT shooting.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:19 pm

up7587 wrote:Did not watch GU's game with Memphis tonight.  Looking at some Twitter, Few and Timme were praising Nembhard for making 4 FTs under pressure.  Thought I'd check the box score.  No wonder.  In a game the Zags eked out by 4 points, they shot 54% on FTs, 13-24.  Yikes.  They are not likely to win four more games with that kind of FT shooting.

I checked in during the second half alongside the Pilots steamrolling New Orleans.

Timme turned beast mode and made almost all his shots.

Memphis ran into foul trouble and some players were gassed due to said foul trouble.

Yes, the free throwing was pretty tragic until the end.
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:09 am

Former UP and current UO coach Kelly Graves' son, Will, is in the transfer portal.

Will, who grew up on the GU campus when Kelly was the coach there, is a walk-on at GU and will have one year of eligibility as a grad-transfer after 1 year at Lane CC and 3 years on the GU team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:53 am

It must be April

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/gonzaga-big-east-rumors.html
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:22 pm

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2022/4/7/23015713/nba-draft-2022-drew-timme-gonzaga

Drew Timme declares for the NBA Draft
He has hired a NCAA approved agent, so theoretically could still return for his senior season.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:33 am

Geezaldinho wrote:It must be April

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/gonzaga-big-east-rumors.html

More ruminations on how GU can avoid playing WCC conference members.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/why-gonzaga-should-use-notre-dame-footballs-scheduling-model-and-pursue-alliance-with-big-east-or-big-12/

https://medium.com/wills-wcc-blog/gonzagas-not-the-only-program-that-could-benefit-from-some-outside-the-box-scheduling-b6810e825c1d

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:15 am

up7587 wrote:
More ruminations on how GU can avoid playing WCC conference members.

https://medium.com/wills-wcc-blog/gonzagas-not-the-only-program-that-could-benefit-from-some-outside-the-box-scheduling-b6810e825c1d
Haha, Will certainly went deep into the rabbit hole, but I like what he had to say...especially if someone could figure out how to make it happen.

Can you imagine?  The potential of a Big East team one day coming to the Chiles Center...or at least the Moda Center (or whatever it will be called by then)?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next