Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UP/UCLA Will be on TV!!!

+8
Trenchcoat Wally
Geezaldinho
PilotDrummer
FANatic
A_Fan
PilotNut
thepuck
Stonehouse
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UP/UCLA Will be on TV!!! Empty UP/UCLA Will be on TV!!!

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:55 pm

Fozziewozzie posted this earlier, but I figured it deserved its own thread.

Comcast SportsNet Channel 37 will be showing the game live at 7 PM on Friday:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/wsoccer/release.asp?release_id=4692

Woohoo!!! Congrats all around, and many thanks to the UP athletic department. From what I heard last weekend there wasn't any way it was going to happen, and now a deal got worked out, which means that a lot of people must have put some serious work into making this happen.

Goooooo Pilots!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

UP/UCLA Will be on TV!!! Empty Re: UP/UCLA Will be on TV!!!

Post by thepuck Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Huie will be doing sideline reporting... thats pretty cool.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:13 pm

This is an awesome coup for the Athletic Department... huge! Thank you and congrats to them!

This new Comcast Channel rocks, by the way!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:35 pm

This from the athletic department:

"Fans are encouraged to attend a watch party of the match on the University of Portland campus at Buckley Center Auditorium."

I'm sure one of you can tell me where the Buckley Center Auditorium is located.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:44 pm

BC Aud is located directly off the main drive of campus. When you go into the main entrance, go past the spot where you would take a right and go into the parking lot and go forward instead. This will take you past the Pilot House (where the bookstore is). The road will then turn left... just follow it. BCAud will be the first building on your right after you take the left turn. You can try to park on the street there, or you can whip back around and park in the parking lot.

Hmmm... that might not make the most sense as written, but it will make sense when you get on campus! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Buckley Center Auditorium ("BC Aud") is kitty corner from the Pilot House/Bookstore... as you drive into campus and drive past the Pilot House (on your right), BC Aud is directly ahead of you; the road makes a left turn directly in front of the Auditorium--the rounded area and courtyard inbetween the rest of Buckley Center and the Library.

I am surprised they are having this in BC Aud--I imagine it will fill up quickly... seems to me it should be in a larger venue, i.e. The Commons.

Edited to remove Chiles as an option--there is a women's basketball game. What about Howard Hall?!

Last edited by on Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Amen, PilotNut! I had a suspicion that they might have been working quietly on this. Afterall, they televised at Colorado in Round 2. This game has much bigger stakes than that.

And I agree that the Comcast SportsNet Channel is going to be an awesome addition for Oregon and SW Washington sports fans. (Once they work out all the details with ALL the other television providers not named Comcast!) Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Damnit. Can't sneak peeks at the broadcast during the basketball game (that'd be why it's not in Chiles - women's bball game).
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 509
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Oh Geez,

I guess I have to risk suicide and give Larry Williams that smack on the lips!

It's OK, I don't mind taking one for the team.

Seriously----GREAT NEWS!!

They can't use the Chiles Center because there's a basketball at the same time., so BC Aud is the next biggest site.

If you haven't seen a game there, it's pretty cool. Lots of Pilot fans screaming their lungs out. Everyone should do it once.
I remember watching some finals there in the 90's and it was great fun, even if those games were heartbreakers.

So now its UCLA's turn to have a few heartbreakers....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:05 pm

I watched the Pilots win the 2005 NC in Chiles Center... that was a blast--a huge screen in the middle and tons of fans yelling and screaming... the best part was us scoring on UCLA in the first couple minutes of the game before everyone had even situated themselves!

Agreed that everyone should watch a TV game on campus at some point! bounce

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:09 pm

The best part was singing the 4-nil song in the Chiles center

Seriously guys, I know Larry Williams was working hard on this one. The next time you see him, let him know it was appreciated.

Last edited by on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:09 pm

PilotNut, Stonehouse, or anyone - So the game is at 7pm Friday night. I've never been in BC Aud.. This is going to be a monster crowd for a monster game! What time should I get there? Is it a traditional college auditorium with all seats and a big TV screen? Or is there more room to mingle as in a REAL party?

Lastly, how many people does it hold and will I need to get there by 5pm or so to reserve my seat? Also, when will their doors be open?
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:15 pm

Mmm... BC Aud is a traditional lecture hall, with stadium-type seating. They show movies there on the weekends for the students, so it has a big drop-down projector screen and some good A/V equipment. (No really... they upgraded everything a year or two ago.)

I bet they will have cookies/punch/etc. available in the foyer.

As for seating... it holds about, oh, 400? Maybe 500? I bet you'll be among the first in line if you show up 30 minutes early. A lot of people will get the game at their homes, and while interest is still really high, it's not anywhere near the perfect storm of attention that was in 2005.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:18 pm

I believe 450 is the seating capacity. Watched some of the games in the 2003 season (vs. Penn State, I believe) in there...it was packed.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:22 pm

Yeah... I kind of forgot about the students. Smile Maybe it will indeed be a lot more crowded than I was thinking!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:24 pm

here's the campus Map:
http://www.up.edu/pdf/campus_map.pdf

Merlo is #7, Buckley is building #12.

the Auditorium is on the first floor- north side. You can see the oval roofline of the lobby on the map.

Since it's available on cable, it probably won't be the only place people watch. I recall in some past years it was only available on a special satellite feed the administration had to negotiate. It wasn't available to the public.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 pm

Thanks for the directions! I'm looking forward to seeing the game on the big screen.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 pm

for those of you lucky enough to be able to get down to UCLA, here's a link to arrangements the University has made for folks at the game:
http://www.up.edu/up_sub.asp?ctnt=209&mnu=110&chl=50&lvl=1&type=topnews&nSec=fp

Click on the 11/27/2007 link to the UCLA game. It's a java script, so it doesn't work as a link in this forum.

There's a link to a map once you are there, too, but you have to click on the EAST button once to find Drake Stadium, aka "the lair of Satan" Wink
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm

I was curious about the color commentator - Tammy Blackburn so I Googled her. Here is what came up:

* Tammy Blackburn is a color commentator for Fox Sports West. She covered women's basketball for the network in 1997 and in 1999 will also do sideline reporting for NFL broadcasts.

She played basketball for San Diego State University and studied communications. "I was the designated interviewee (for the basketball team). Whenever a television or radio crew wanted some comments after the game, the coach would send me out there because I was articulate and she didn't have to worry about me overstepping myself." (18)

Upon graduation in 1994 she enrolled in the school's graduate broadcasting program and provided color commentary for SDSU's women's basketball radio broadcasts. She also volunteered for whatever television work she could find. She sent a demo tape and resume to the San Diego-area Fox, ESPN, and network affiliates. It took seven months before Fox called back inviting her to be a color commentator for them.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by thepuck Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:22 pm

I'd imagine that a lot of students will make their way to BC Aud. because they have limited access to cable in the dorms and they'll probably head over to BC Aud. But as long as you get there a little earlier, you should be fine. Very few students have the foresight to arrive early to anything.
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Trenchcoat Wally Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:01 pm

I wonder if they will invite the Kettle Corn guy? How will I function without the smell of Kettle Corn in the air? Maybe I will attempt to contact him to drop a box or two of his product.
Trenchcoat Wally
Trenchcoat Wally
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-27

Back to top Go down

UP/UCLA Will be on TV!!! Empty B.C. Auditorium

Post by FANatic Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:39 pm

I am having mixed feelings about going to see the game at BC Aud. tomorrow night. On the one hand, I don't think I want to be alone if we lose this game. (Something tells me this may be THE national chanpionship match; no disrespect meant for any of the teams still in the hunt.) And should we win, (which I believe we will, but you just never know), I'd love to celebrate with a group of people which I think would be great fun. (Unless they're all drunk college students tossing me about the room as in a rave!) drunken

However, being as decrepit as I am - no joke, thank you - I have a feeling it's going to be extremely loud, raucous, fun, yet with the distinct aroma of alcohol in the air. I believe reading in this forum yesterday there were at least two or three references to, in so many words, experiencing a campus watch party at least once in your life. That kinda implied to me that more than once might be a wee bit overwhelming. Did I get that right?

I am not young. Although I can still scream and jump up and down after a goal, if exposed to a very stimulating and very loud environment for long, I turn into a basket case and lie in bed for a few days. (I will NEVER attend a live Trailblazers game again; not because of the game or the players, but because it has become such a LOUD spectacle, there is no doubt in my mind that hearing damage is being done regularly on a mass scale.) Again - not joking! Mad Mad Mad

So - (pause) - would it be healthier for me to just stay home and enjoy the match in a very quiet and peaceful environment? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Did I just answer my own question?

Really - I am serious about this. I would be wearing hearing protection, as I was for the Trailblazers game. Even with protection, my brain was blown to bits. I could wear industrial hearing protection, which I could if any of you think the whole atmosphere is appropriate for someone like me. Thanks!!!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Villa will bring drums, I promise. Bring your earplugs.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:50 pm

no doubt it will be loud, but not as loud as the sound effects in the NBA. I think you will be okay... just realize that the room will be 90% college students on a friday afternoon... pretty goofy and you might hear a few things! Wink

People will have to be kind of quiet, in order to hear the TV... no guaranty after *every* Pilot goal... My friend brought his kids to the 2005 NC game in Chiles, and didnt have any problems... I think you can handle it!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotDrummer Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:52 pm

BC looooooooooooooooooooooooooves drums (Chiles doesn't). Smile It'll still be a lot of fun.
PilotDrummer
PilotDrummer
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next