Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics

+15
fan from afar
PilotFan7
ejjqb
Dan No Yell
slick
UPSoccerFanatic
Indigo Kid
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple passion
A_Fan
pilotram
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
19 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Olympics - Page 4 Empty Re: Olympics

Post by slick Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:47 am

Good luck #12 and #13.

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 am

slick wrote:Good luck #12 and #13.

And number 15
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:
slick wrote:Good luck #12 and #13.
And number 15
!!!!!!

I gotta say, love #12 and #13, but too jingoistic and too big a fan of #15 to want them to prevail.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:jingoistic

I feel that this is DD's word of the month...

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Nice goal from Sinclair in the first half, now an even better equalizer from Rapinoe directly off a corner. Great game so far.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ejjqb Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Woke up this morning hoping for a 2-1 game, one by Sinclair and two by Rapinoe but this is too good to believe. Pilots on Display!

ejjqb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotFan7 Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm

What an absolutely fantastic match so far!!! U of P is being represented well on the big stage.
Goal Celebration!
PilotFan7
PilotFan7
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Can't watch from work, but my wife is giving me email updates Crying or Very sad
The U of P gals are showing up big time from what I am hearing!!! We are the U of P!
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm

UP 5, rest of world 2

We win.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Good summary from SportsIllustrated.com:
MANCHESTER, England -- Three thoughts after the U.S.' 4-3 victory over Canada in extra-time in the Olympic semifinals, sending the U.S. to the Olympic final and Canada to the bronze-medal game:

• This was one of the greatest games I've ever seen. What more could you ask for? Goals galore, unexpected comebacks, never-before-seen officiating calls and athletes giving everything they had with the Olympics on the line. The U.S. came from behind three times in this game, showing the cardiac-kids spirit that won over so many U.S. fans during their improbable World Cup victory over Brazil last year. In the end, it was Alex Morgan's injury-time header that made the difference on a perfect cross from late sub Heather O'Reilly -- the 2012 version of Rapinoe-to-Wambach in last year's World Cup quarterfinals. Canada will have some complaints about a call that led to the third U.S. goal (see below), but you have to admire both teams for providing an Olympic moment that we're likely never to forget. 4-3 in extra-time? Unbelievable.

• Christine Sinclair and Megan Rapinoe were incredible. The back-and-forth between the best Canadian and U.S. players in this tournament was breathtaking entertainment during a second half for the ages. Sinclair was immense, bagging a hat-trick and showing why she's one of the great scorers of all time. Her first goal showed her foot skills, while the next two showcased a player who has a mastery in the air. But Rapinoe was every bit her match, equalizing twice: the first time on an Olímpico during the Olympics, scoring directly from a corner kick (on an admittedly poor job of defending by Canada) and then firing a rocket from distance off the post and in for a 2-2 tie. Watching these players and teams trade haymakers was something special, the kind of game that makes you understand why there's no match for high-stakes soccer at its best.

• I saw something for the first time tonight. Norwegian referee Christiana Pedersen made a game-changing call that incensed the Canadians when they were up 3-2 late in the second half. I have never seen a team in an elite-level game given an indirect free kick in the box for the opposing goalie being deemed to have held onto the ball longer than the six-second time limit. But that's exactly the call Pedersen made against Canadian keeper Erin McLeod. On the ensuing free kick, Rapinoe's blast hit Lauren Sesselmann in the hand, which seemed like a fairly straightforward penalty (though Canadian fans would probably disagree). Wambach nailed the spot kick, but there will be plenty of talk about that eyebrow-raising free kick call. If the referee had warned McLeod before, it might be a bit more understandable. If not, the U.S. most definitely caught a break.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/grant_wahl/08/06/olympics-usa-canada/index.html#ixzz22o11lWYe
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Hahah lost in all of this, maybe Brandi Chastain was on to something about the porous defending. 3 goals by the player they knew was going to be the focus of the Canadian attack is pretty horrendous, I mean Christine is pretty incredible obviously, but still...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Hahah lost in all of this, maybe Brandi Chastain was on to something about the porous defending. 3 goals by the player they knew was going to be the focus of the Canadian attack is pretty horrendous, I mean Christine is pretty incredible obviously, but still...

So, you are faulting Beuhler for not being as good as Christine.

Who meets that standard?

Between France's second goal and Christine's first today the USA defense allowed 2 SOG in 5 hours.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I think you over oversimplifying it a bit with that one on one matchup, but yes. And perhaps organizing the defense to stop their one bona fide attacking option shouldn't be left to one overmatched defender. Allowing 3 goals by ANY player leaves a lot to be desired.

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Apparently, UP got quite a few mentions on air. Talk about free marketing...

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:Apparently, UP got quite a few mentions on air. Talk about free marketing...

It was great: Brandi's co-commentator, late in the game, made the specific comment that University of Portland soccer players had scored 5 goals in the game. Brandi said something like: being a Santa Clara graduate, it was hard to deal with, but yes, it was true.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Let's not forget Sophie played a hell of a game. She also got an assist on Christine's corner kick goal, and freed her for a second, then almost got one of her own.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I saw this on the bleacher report. The only A grades for the game

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1287061-usa-vs-canada-womens-olympic-soccer-grades-twitter-reaction-analysis

Christine Sinclair, Canada: A+

When you score a hat trick, you get an A+ for your performance. Sinclair was the best player on the pitch all game long, not only scoring goals but also stretching the U.S. defense with penetrating runs and brilliant passes to her teammates.

Her performance may be overshadowed by the dramatic nature of the United States win, but it shouldn't be forgotten. She was phenomenal.

Megan Rapinoe, United States: A

Every time Sinclair seemed poised to steal this game away from the United States, Rapinoe had an answer. She scored the first two goals for the United States, and her shot off the indirect free kick led to Abby Wambach's penalty kick. 

Wambach, Hope Solo and Alex Morgan may get most of the headlines, but watch this US team long enough and you'll see that Rapinoe is the heart and soul of this squad. She proved it once again on Monday.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:35 pm

It is a cliche, but it's true (for me at least), it is a shame someone had to lose this game. You couldn't have asked for more. I felt bad for Christine, she was magnificent today. The Canadian coach has to be given a lot of credit too. He really has them playing at a level we have not seen them achieve before. I just hope they don't have a letdown against France. It would be great to have the US and Canada medal.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:39 pm

AFP.com quotes Christine Sinclair:
“Obviously, we’re disappointed and upset. We felt that the referee took it away from us, so, yes, we are disappointed,” Canada captain Sinclair said.

“We feel like we didn’t lose, we feel like it was taken from us. It’s a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started.”

Sinclair was furious over the awarding of the penalty.

“She (the referee) actually giggled and said nothing. Classy. In an important match it’s a disappointment that the referee had such an impact on it. We feel cheated,” she said.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Canada coach John Herdman, who accused the U.S. of “highly illegal” tactics prior to the match, felt much the same way as Sinclair. From the AP:
Herdman says “it felt like it was America and the referee against” his team in the 4-3 extra-time defeat at the Old Trafford in Manchester.

Herdman was upset with referee Christiana Pedersen of Norway for a decisive penalty awarded to the United States. He said he didn’t think it was a hand ball and didn’t understand why she awarded an indirect free kick against goalkeeper Erin McLeod for holding the ball inside the area for more than six seconds, a foul that led to the hand ball.

Herdman said that if “the United States were honest they’d know they got lucky.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:01 am

DaTruRochin wrote:Hahah lost in all of this, maybe Brandi Chastain was on to something about the porous defending. 3 goals by the player they knew was going to be the focus of the Canadian attack is pretty horrendous, I mean Christine is pretty incredible obviously, but still...

I COMPLETELY agree with this. Bueller should never have been left alone in the box against Christine. At the beginning of the game, she was even assigned to christine on restarts, deliberately. Incredible!! Do we have anybody shorter than Bueller? Was Tatoo from Fantasy Island not available?? I noticed we had Lloyd on her later. This is nothing against Bueller, but she gives away too much height and that was an open invitation to Christine to pad her goal totals. Even beyond the restarts, during the course of play, Christine should have received much more attention. There was a moment in the second half when a (blonde) Canadian player (can't remember her name) had the ball going down the left side, and Christine was COMPLETELY unmarked in the box for a short while. I said, out loud, "oh oh - here comes another goal." Fortunately, she didn't get Christine the ball (now, THAT'S hard to believe). There were too many other times when Christine was in the box one on one. That's got to either be a breakdown in the defense or a poor defensive scheme. I don't ever remember seeing Abby with that lack of attention from the Canadians in the box.

I was surprised the shots ended up about even, because it seemed to me we had the better of the run of play and possession, by a little. The Canadian goals were much better than ours - more deserved. We had some luck on Meghan's first goal, and on the whole penalty situation goal. Having said that, overall I thought we created more chances and had more near misses. I think the difference in the end might have been conditioning - the Canadians seemed to be dragging.

I am a little disappointed to hear them blaming the ref for the loss - hopefully, it was a heat of the moment thing.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 am

From SIKids.com:
In maybe the best game so far of any team sport at the 2012 Olympics, the U.S. women’s soccer team beat their neighbors to the north, Canada, 4-3 in a thrilling semifinal match in Manchester. Playing at Old Trafford, the storied home of Manchester United, the two teams delivered a performance worthy of a stadium nicknamed “The Theater of Dreams.” Canada took the lead three times and each time the U.S. leveled in a match that was played at an extremely high level. Both teams played well on the ball, hit quality crosses and made hard challenges. A heroic goal in the dying moments of extra time by Alex Morgan kept the American's 11-year unbeaten streak against Canada intact. The States now advances to the gold medal final against current World Cup champ Japan and Canada will play for bronze against France. Here are five takeaways from this epic semifinal.

1. Without the University of Portland, this game wouldn’t have been nearly as interesting.
As NBC’s Arlo White mentioned in the broadcast, players from the two-time NCAA Champion Portland Pilots accounted for five of the goals in this barnburner. Proud alumnus and Canadian captain Christine Sinclair scored a hat trick, while American Megan Rapinoe had two of USA’s four goals. The two stars played together in college for a season, winning the 2005 national title with an undefeated season. Today they played across from each other and led their teams.

Sinclair opened the goalfest with a sterling strike in the 22nd minute, receiving a perfectly weighted pass in the middle of the box, pushing it to her right to create space, then pulling it left to slot it home past Hope Solo. It took until the 54th minute, but Rapinoe replied with a remarkable corner kick that curled into goal. Just 13 minutes later, it was Sinclair again heading the ball home off of a great cross by Melissa Tancredi. In no time at all, Rapinoe leveled the match again, scoring an audacious strike from the right corner of the 18-yard box that curled toward the left edge of the goal and caromed in off the post. But Sinclair was not done. She scored her third off her head, lofting it over Amy Le Peilbet, who had drifted off the post she was guarding during the Canadian corner kick. Unfortunately for Canada, that wasn’t the last goal of this game.

2. I went to a wrestling match and a soccer game broke out.
Yesterday, Canada’s a head coach John Herdman made some waves with his comments about America’s physical style of play. "One of the big threats we've got to take care of, and what we've paid attention to, is the illegal marking in the box on their corners and free kicks," he said. "Some of the blocking tactics, which are highly illegal, we'll keep an eye on them in the game.”

Yes, the U.S. have a big, strong team and rely on their strength for an advantage. But it was a bit odd to see the Canadian coach call them out for it when his team plays in a similar manner. Maybe he meant to set a tone for his team today, warning them publicly that they shouldn’t be outmuscled on the field. If that was the case, they listened. Canada delivered some crunching challenges on the US and didn’t shy away from contact in the box.

You also got the sense that the ref also got Herdman’s message early on, keeping a tight reign on the game. In the first half she called a soft foul called on US captain Christie Rampone on the edge of the box that nearly set up a scoring opportunity for Canada. In the 36th minute Abby Wambach was called for a foul as she went for a header and overpowered the Canadian defender. Even if Canada got some favorable treatment early on, the team won’t have too many kind words for Norwegian referee Christiana Pedersen.

3. That referee won’t be welcome in Canada anytime soon.
Whoa, boy, was there a moment of controversy in this one and it didn’t go Canada’s way at all. In a rarely made call, the referee whistled Canada’s goalkeeper Erin McLeod for time wasting in the 78th minute. McLeod had held the ball for more than six seconds in attempt to bleed time off the clock because her team had a 3-2 lead. The call left the Canucks fuming because it awarded the US an indirect free kick in the box. When the Yanks took a shot, it hit a Canadian in the arm and the ref pointed to the penalty spot. After much protesting by the Canadians, Abby Wambach stepped up to slot home a well-taken penalty to tie the game. Neither team scored in the last 10 minutes, so the game went to extra time with the possibility of being decided on penalties.

4. There has never been a penalty shootout at the Women’s Olympic Soccer tournament.
And Alex Morgan kept it that way. In nearly the last touch of the match, 391 game minutes since her last goal, the 22-year old star headed home the United States’ fourth goal in the 123rd minute. The game looked poised for penalties, but Morgan, who had been providing many of the crosses for Wambach’s scoring opportunities the last few games, found space of her own in the box and got on the end of a pass to send her team to the Final. Afterward, Wambach, who had talked to Morgan about her goal drought between games, said, “I’m really glad Alex Morgan is on my team and I’m really glad she learned how to head today.” American fans feel the same way.

5. Could we have a new North American soccer rivalry?
Yes, for a rivalry to actually be a rivalry, one team can’t totally dominate the proceedings like America has. The USA’s all-time record against Canada is 43-3-5, where they’ve scored 128 more goals than the Canucks in those games. Canada is winless in its last 27 matches against the U.S., going 0-23-4 since a win at the Algarve Cup in 2001. However, Canada showed great fight and exceptional skill in a game they were unlucky to lose. Much of the game was played with an intensity and physicality that reminded me of the USA-Mexico rivalry on the men’s side (though maybe with a little less malice). Here’s hoping the Canucks can build off of this and continue to provide an enthusiastic challenge to the United States for years to come.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:00 am

You'd have to think that Arlo White would be relatively familiar with the University of Portland after announcing for the Sounders for their first 3 year and watching that Kasey Keller guy play every week. (That and he really does his homework when it comes to players backgrounds and whatnot)

Thanks for the free press Arlo!

And in case you wanted a goal montage:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/here-are-all-seven-goals-from-the-us-womens
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:01 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:.

Yes, the U.S. have a big, strong team and rely on their strength for an advantage. But it was a bit odd to see the Canadian coach call them out for it when his team plays in a similar manner. Maybe he meant to set a tone for his team today, warning them publicly that they shouldn’t be outmuscled on the field. If that was the case, they listened. Canada delivered some crunching challenges on the US and didn’t shy away from contact in the box.

By crunching challenges, I assume we are talking about Tancredi crunching Carli's head...

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl)
8/7/12 12:53 PM
83,000 tickets now sold for USA-Japan Olympic women's soccer final Thursday. Will break previous Olympic women's record of 76,481 (1996).
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next