Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympics

+15
fan from afar
PilotFan7
ejjqb
Dan No Yell
slick
UPSoccerFanatic
Indigo Kid
onetouchfutbol
PurplePrideTrumpet
purple passion
A_Fan
pilotram
DaTruRochin
DoubleDipper
Geezaldinho
19 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympics

Post by A_Fan Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the info.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm

The USA played Norway in a super secret closed door match, according to the Norwegian FA site. The USA won 2-0 on goals from Cheney(37') and Morgan (83'). (the goalscorer info is from a Morgan tweet) The Morgan goal was a PK after Morgan got taken down in the box. ( I like the Norwegian "straffe" better, for PK)

The Norway site only lists the Norway players in the match.

After the match, they had a shoot out that didn't go so well, as Norway won that 6-5. No word on who pitched the dud. Lucky for her, the Norway site only lists their players in that's well.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11806
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:38 am

One note about streaming: You need to have a TV plan that includes CNBC and MSNBC in order to watch NBC's live streams.

Another note: I chose my words carefully re: whose live streams you can watch.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 am

I signed up for the NBC live streams for the Track and Field Trials and could rarely find an actual link to the events they said they were streaming. Let's hope they do better with the Olympic streams. They did have video of individual events posted after the events, although they made the result the title of the video so you knew who won before you got to watch the video. At least they had them though.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Not a blond hair in sight, but still funny. Retweet by Megan.

Heather O'Reilly (@HeatherOReilly)
7/16/12 4:27 PM
Looking gooooood. @laurencheney8 @alexmorgan13 @CarliLloyd pic.twitter.com/zBJVndNR

Olympics - Page 2 Screen42

The VW looks fake.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:17 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:The VW looks fake.
Ha ha, yea, one of the tourist attractions besides the actual Abbey Road, is the photo back drop of Abbey Road where you can get your picture taken. I'm guessing they have one in the Olympic Village.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11267
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Shouldn't Carley be barefoot?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Shouldn't Carley be barefoot?
Well, Bart got it right!
Olympics - Page 2 Bart_a11
But neither group has the facial hair (thank god)!

I think Marge as Ringo is fitting since she did the paintings of him in the early episodes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:07 pm

SI.com has weighed in on Olympic Soccer:
Athletes To Watch

Alex Morgan, U.S.: The speedy 23-year-old forward had a goal and assist in last year's World Cup final, but she only became a full-time starter for the U.S. earlier this year alongside veteran Abby Wambach. Morgan has been on fire in 2012, leading the U.S. with 17 goals in 15 games, and teammates say her tactical awareness is growing by leaps and bounds. She also has a knack for timely goals in the dying minutes of games.

Kelly Smith, U.K.: When healthy, Smith has been one of the world's best players, a high-scoring forward (45 international goals) who dribbles like a Brazilian. But injuries have plagued the Seton Hall alum, and it remains to be seen if the 33-year-old Arsenal player will be at her best after racing to recover from a stress fracture in one of her legs. If she's in good form, though, there will be plenty of support from the home fans. It's a great opportunity, both on and off the field: Smith's autobiography comes out July 19.

Marta, Brazil: The five-time world player of the year has yet to win a World Cup or Olympic title in five tries, and you have to wonder if her generation of Brazilian players is on the decline by now. But Marta is just 26 and still the most exciting player in global women's soccer, a dribbling dervish who can conjure goals out of nothing. She needs the support of a good team around her, however, and the lack of support from the Brazilian federation (read: few games scheduled) hinders Brazil's chances.

Homare Sawa, Japan: Sawa led Japan's fairy-tale run to the 2011 World Cup title and deservedly won the Ballon d'Or as the world player of the year. But she's 33 now, and following up on the World Cup won't be easy. Then again, Sawa's game may well work into her 30s, considering it's based on short passes and vision rather than raw athleticism. Sawa's teammates are similarly blessed on the technical side, which is why some observers call Japan the Barcelona of women's soccer.

Christine Sinclair, Canada: Who will break Mia Hamm's all-time international goal-scoring record of 158? Chances are it will be either the 29-year-old Sinclair (currently at 135) or Wambach (138). The race between Sinclair, a University of Portland alum, and Wambach should continue to be a fun one, but Sinclair's focus is on getting Canada out of a tough group that includes Japan and Sweden. After last year's World Cup fiasco, things can only get better for the Canadians.

Lotta Schelin, Sweden: Sweden's most feared striker has won the past two UEFA Champions League titles with French club Lyon and scored twice at the 2011 World Cup. At 28, Schelin might be nearing the peak of her powers. Sweden is capable of going on a deep run after reaching the World Cup semis a year ago.

Louisa Nécib, France: France was one of the most improved teams at the World Cup, reaching the semifinals, and Nécib is a fascinating 25-year-old playmaker from a French-Algerian neighborhood in Marseille who has been called the female Zinédine Zidane. The winner of two straight UEFA Champions League titles with Lyon, she'll get the chance to make an impact in France's Olympic opener against the United States.

U.S. Prospects

The only member of the U.S. team who wasn't on the 2011 World Cup squad is Sydney Leroux, an electric 22-year-old forward who scored five goals in a single game at the Olympic qualifying tournament earlier this year. New starters of late include Megan Rapinoe, who has won back a spot in the lineup after losing it just before the World Cup, Tobin Heath, who has been patrolling the left flank, and Kelley O'Hara, who has been switched from forward to left back. The U.S. will still be relying on its two stars, Wambach and goalkeeper Hope Solo, as well as defender and captain Christie Rampone (now 37) and central midfielder Lauren Cheney.

Likely U.S. lineup: Hope Solo; Amy LePeilbet, Christie Rampone, Rachel Buehler, Kelley O'Hara; Megan Rapinoe, Shannon Boxx, Lauren Cheney, Tobin Heath, Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/grant_wahl/07/17/london-olympic-womens-soccer-preview/index.html#ixzz20uihLa9p
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Nice write-up. I like the chances of the US and Brazil to go far. Canada has a tough group to get out of, and I don´t feel the team is as deep.

Am I out of it or missing something? What happened to Germany?
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:43 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Am I out of it or missing something?
Um, is that a two part question? Very Happy

Here are the brackets:
Group E
Great Britain
New Zealand
Cameroon
Brazil

Group F
Japan
Canada
Sweden
South Africa

Group G
USA
France
Colombia
Korea DPR
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:32 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote: What happened to Germany?

UEFA decided before the last WWC that there wasn't enough time between the World Cup and the Olympics for them to run a qualifying competition. Instead, they decided that the results of the World Cup would decide the UEFA teams for the Olympics.(Germany voted for this, and there was considerable politics involved. Other teams -read France- wanted the WWC qualifier results to be used instead).

France and Sweden became the UEFA teams, along with the host, GB, when Germany went out in the quarterfinal round to Japan by a 1:0 score in the 108th minute of extra time. Shocked

Germany gets to watch on TV.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm

It seems the Sporting News has some nice things to say about Megan other than "likely US lineup." Maybe the next issue of SI might talk about her too.

The article is at:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/olympics/story/2012-07-18/megan-rapinoe-us-womens-olympic-soccer-team-london-games
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:44 pm

purple passion wrote:It seems the Sporting News has some nice things to say about Megan other than "likely US lineup." Maybe the next issue of SI might talk about her too.
Your wish comes true from SI:
A few months before the 2011 Women's World Cup, Denise Rapinoe was preparing for what she thought as a run-of-the-mill video chat with her daughter, U.S. international midfielder Megan Rapinoe. She was not prepared for what she saw. Instead of the brown-haired daughter she thought she knew, what emerged on the screen was a platinum-blonde staring back at her.

"I was like 'Oh my gosh! What have you done?' It was a little shocking," said the elder Rapinoe by telephone.
Suffice it to say, the rest of the world has embraced the look wholeheartedly. There are the multiple Twitter accounts devoted to Rapinoe's mane, not to mention the Nike T-shirts emblazoned with the player's now trademark hairstyle. Eventually, even Denise Rapinoe became a convert. "My mom told me, 'It's the best thing you've ever done for yourself,'" said the U.S. midfielder in a telephone interview. "I was like, 'Thanks, Mom. I'll go ahead and take that as a compliment.'"

"I don't see that well now that I'm getting older," Denise added with a laugh. "But I can see [Megan] now, I can spot her."

She's not the only one. The U.S. midfielder is poised to make a huge impression on the 2012 Olympic Games. Off the field, Rapinoe is now one of the team's more recognizable players. More importantly, with forward Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach in electric form, the U.S. women are ready to make it a three-peat of Olympic titles, and Rapinoe will be one of their prime providers.....................
See the rest of the rather long article at:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/8193185/olympics-megan-rapinoe-ready-london-games-jeff-carlisle
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:20 pm

The whole Rapinoe as a blond story has gotten out of hand. For one thing, it predates any national recognition from the World Cup by quite a bit.

Olympics - Page 2 Fae5855b

I think she might even have been a blond for some games in 2006 when she made the National team and was playing for the Pilots before her first ACL.

She even looks sorta blond in this pic from the 2005 championship game:
Olympics - Page 2 11b9b255

She was a freshman then.
As I recall it, part of the fun of going to home games was to see what her hair color was this week
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Here are the US and Canadian TV schedules for the round robin play. The Canadian info is from their website so the TV channels are not for the US, but I believe they will all be show on one of the NBC channels in the US.

US Women’s Team Schedule

Date Matchup Time Venue TV Info Center
July 25, 2012 U.S. Women vs. France 12 p.m. ET (9 am PDT)
Hampden Park Glasgow, Scotland NBC Sports Network, NBC Olympic Soccer Channel

July 28, 2012 U.S. Women vs. Colombia 12 p.m. ET (9 am PDT)
Hampden ParkGlasgow, Scotland NBC Sports Network, NBC Olympic Soccer Channel (9 am PDT)

July 31, 2012 U.S. Women vs. Korea DPR 12:15 p.m. ET (9:15 PDT)
Old Trafford Manchester, England NBC Sports Network, NBC Olympic Soccer Channel (9:15 PDT)

Canadian Women’s team Schedule

Wednesday, 25 July
17.00 local
(12.00 ET / 09.00 PT) v LIVE on TSN, Sportsnet, RDS
Replay on TSN at 12.00 ET / 09.00 PT
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 am

[R] Stay out of the thread if you don't like spoilers.

PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

Okay, here we go.

France-USA is off to an entertaining start. Excellent goals from both sides.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 am

US 3 - France 2 at 60'

I counted two assists by Megan so far...is that right?
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am

Abby's header off a cross, but her through ball isn't an assist, just a great through ball to Heath.

I can't remember who fed Morgan's first.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 am

purple passion wrote:US 3 - France 2 at 60'

I counted two assists by Megan so far...is that right?

On the 4th Heath put in the final cross but Pinoe had a nice pass in the buildup.

Alex Morgan showed why you hustle to the back post on that one.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Kid Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Sounds like Megan had a great match. Write up from USAToday.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/soccer/story/2012-07-25/alex-morgan-leads-usa-past-france-4-2-in-opener/56483454/1
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Hope Solo has an official assist of Morgan's first goal. I guess that right, Morgan's touch was off Hope's punt.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Indigo Kid wrote:Sounds like Megan had a great match. Write up from USAToday.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/london/soccer/story/2012-07-25/alex-morgan-leads-usa-past-france-4-2-in-opener/56483454/1

I take issue with this statement.

American defenders closer resembled Laurel and Hardy than Fawcett and Chastain

I attribute the goals to the midfield, and if I were to point fingers, Boxx. Both those goals came out of her area of responsibility. She came off hurt, so maybe she was hurt before she came off. The defense was actually pretty solid, especially in the second half.

And while Faucett was world class, Chastain made her mistakes. She and Osborne are the only two own Goals in USA World Cup history.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by purple passion Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 pm

From US Soccer's website - - game summary.

- U.S. Women’s National Team Match Report -

Match: U.S. Women’s National Team vs. France
Date: July 25, 2012
Competition: 2012 Olympic Games; Group G
Venue: Hampden Park; Glasgow, Scotland
Kickoff: 5 p.m. local (12 p.m. ET)
Attendance: 18,090
Weather: 66 degrees, partly cloudy

Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 2 2 4
FRA 2 0 2

FRA – Gaëtane Thiney 12th minute
FRA – Marie-Laure Delie 14
USA – Abby Wambach (Megan Rapinoe) 19
USA – Alex Morgan (Hope Solo) 32
USA – Carli Lloyd (Megan Rapinoe) 56
USA – Alex Morgan (Tobin Heath) 66

Lineups:
USA: 1-Hope Solo; 6-Amy LePeilbet, 3-Christie Rampone (capt.), 16-Rachel Buehler, 5-Kelley O’Hara; 15-Megan Rapinoe (11-Sydney Leroux, 84), 7-Shannon Boxx (10-Carli Lloyd, 17), 12-Lauren Cheney, 17-Tobin Heath; 13-Alex Morgan (8-Amy Rodriguez, 76), 14-Abby Wambach
Subs not used: 2-Heather Mitts, 4-Becky Sauerbrunn, 9-Heather O’Reilly, 18-Nicole Barnhart
Head coach: Pia Sundhage

FRA: 18-Sarah Bouhaddi; 2-Wendie Renard, 5-Ophélle Meilleroux (4-Laura Georges, 46), 7-Corine Franco, 8-Sonia Bompastor; 10-Camille Abily (6-Sandrine Soubeyrand, 71), 11-Marie-Laure Delie, 12-Élodie Thomis, 14-Louisa Necib (9-Eugénie Le Sommer, 46); 15-Élise Bussaglia, 17-Gaëtane Thiney
Subs not used: 1-Céline Deville, 3-Laure Boulleau, 13-Camille Catala, 16-Sabrina Viguier
Head coach: Bruni Bini

Statistical Summary: USA / FRA
Shots: 8 / 9
Shots on Goal: 7 / 3
Saves: 1 / 3
Corner Kicks: 6 / 6
Fouls: 8 / 7
Offside: 4 / 4

Misconduct Summary:
None

Officials:
Referee: Sachiko Yamagishi (JPN)
Assistant Referee 1: Saori Takahashi (JPN)
Assistant Referee 2: Widiya Shamsuri (JPN)
Fourth Official: Hong Eun Ha (KOR)

Bud Light Woman of the Match:
Abby Wambach

© U.S. SOCCER 2012, All Rights Reserved
Site by Digitaria

I don't agree with the Bud Light pick, but won't say anything because I AM BIASED!!
purple passion
purple passion
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next