vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by ShipstadPilot11 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:45 am

Big game tomorrow. What is everyone hoping to see?

ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 899
Age : 28
Location : P-Town, Oregon
Registration date : 2009-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by PilotDrummer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 am

...for me? I'm hoping to see the game, period. In Austin, TX for work so will be locating a TV tomorrow night in downtown Austin. :-/

Ultimately? I want to see something more like the USF/USD games (close). That's my biggest wish for this one.

PilotDrummer
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 487
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by ShipstadPilot11 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 am

Clearly a win would be ideal but I'm not sure that is a likely outcome. It would definitely be nice to keep things close throughout the entire game, though. Given that we've lost by 3 the last two years, I'd be thrilled to do it again.

Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'm not really pulling for Nem anymore. I'm beginning to think that his minutes would be better served giving some playing time to younger guys so that they develop and are more experienced next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see him return to form but it seems unlikely at this point and I'm really not sure how it would impact the trajectory of our season.

Realistically, I'd like to see us cut our margin of defeat in half (or more) compared to the game in Spokane. Controlling turnovers will be a huge factor in the outcome tonight and if we can take effectively take care of the ball, I'll care a lot less about whether we win or lose.

ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 899
Age : 28
Location : P-Town, Oregon
Registration date : 2009-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 am

Early odds show the Zags winning by 18, 81-63 with a 93% confidence factor. silent

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by blacksheep on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:28 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Early odds show the Zags winning by 18, 81-63 with a 93% confidence factor. silent

So what you're saying is that there's a chance!


blacksheep
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 922
Location : Under the St. Johns Bridge
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:37 am

blacksheep wrote:So what you're saying is that there's a chance!
I had a lengthy chat with Donald Wilson on Saturday (he plans to be at the game tomorrow), and we reminisced how the Pilots were given no chance against Gonzaga when he and Pooh were freshmen, and yet against those odds, the Pilots won. It was the last time we’ve won against Gonzaga, so it’s about time! pirat

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by PilotDrummer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
blacksheep wrote:So what you're saying is that there's a chance!
I had a lengthy chat with Donald Wilson on Saturday (he plans to be at the game tomorrow), and we reminisced how the Pilots were given no chance against Gonzaga when he and Pooh were freshmen, and yet against those odds, the Pilots won. It was the last time we’ve won against Gonzaga, so it’s about time! pirat
...if I remember correctly, it's the last time we beat GU, we did it up in Spokane, AND I think it was the last game in the old Kennel. Not too shabby.

PilotDrummer
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 487
Location : Check behind the basket or in the drum squad. I probably have a cowbell.
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by oldtimer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am

All great points. I too would like to see a close game. I would like to see much like a USF contest where we were in the deng thing for both halves. Whether we pull an upset I dont know but....
Minimizing turnovers would be nice. Something under 12 would be a pleasent change of pace. Hitting some 3's would be great. I dont expect Nem to catch fire at this point but guys like Tanner and Kevin are capable. Better officiating is on the list. WCC refs are historically weak and it showed with their phantom calls in the USF game. What else?

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by Geezaldinho on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:06 pm

PilotDrummer wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:
blacksheep wrote:So what you're saying is that there's a chance!
I had a lengthy chat with Donald Wilson on Saturday (he plans to be at the game tomorrow), and we reminisced how the Pilots were given no chance against Gonzaga when he and Pooh were freshmen, and yet against those odds, the Pilots won. It was the last time we’ve won against Gonzaga, so it’s about time! pirat
...if I remember correctly, it's the last time we beat GU, we did it up in Spokane, AND I think it was the last game in the old Kennel. Not too shabby.

Need to double up on the Ginko Biloba.

Pooh and Donald did beat the zags when they were freshman in Feb. 2003, but they lost in the kennel in Feb 2004. That was the night John Stockton had his number retired.

Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 10315
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 pm

No Riley Barker against Gonzaga tomorrow (strengthening the medical redshirt theory?), and Eric Waterford will probably dress, but will only play in an “emergency.” Crying or Very sad

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by oldtimer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:39 pm

DD is there a published report on our injured players or do you have an inside contact? I would love to see Eric but the ice wrap on his knee last game wasnt encouraging.
As for Riley Barker I cant see him coming back at this point, can you? Pretty late in the season and with so much time off he probably isnt nearly in "game shape".

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 pm

ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'm not really pulling for Nem anymore. I'm beginning to think that his minutes would be better served giving some playing time to younger guys so that they develop and are more experienced next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see him return to form but it seems unlikely at this point and I'm really not sure how it would impact the trajectory of our season.
I know the frustration with Nem’s season is real because so much is expected of him after his previous performance, but let’s not write him off; he still contributes.

Based upon percentage of team points scored in WCC play only:

Nicholas 17.22% in 70% of available minutes (AM)(Based upon 280 minutes in 7 WCC games divided by 12 players)
K. Bailey 15.89% in 63% AM
van der Mars 15.45% in 66% AM
Mitrovic 10.82% in 58% AM
Douglas 10.15% in 64% AM
Cason 7.95% in 48% AM

Numbers don’t tell the whole tale, but he’s the senior on the floor; without Waterford, it's his team.

Check out these interesting stats from WCC play:

Douglas 179 minutes/27 assists/31 turnovers/46 points
Rodgers 92 minutes/10 assists/6 turnovers/22 points
Waterford 41 minutes/4 assists/2 turnovers/16 points

Based purely on numbers, if you were to double Rodgers' playing time and statistics, should he be our starting point guard?

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 pm

oldtimer wrote:DD is there a published report on our injured players or do you have an inside contact?
The published report will probably come out soon, but as far as inside contact, Absolutely not! Just have a chance to drop by practice on occasion and chat. Smile

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by oldtimer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Numbers don’t tell the whole tale, but he’s the senior on the floor; without Waterford, it's his team.

DD are you saying that Nem is still the leader of the team???

As for Derick and Douglas I like what both of them can bring. Wish both of them would penetrate and pass a bit more but Derick has nice size and Timmy can get to the basket.

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by oldtimer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 pm

and DD, might I add that you are a master with numbers and your efforts in that regard are much appreciated!

oldtimer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2009-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:05 pm

oldtimer wrote:DD are you saying that Nem is still the leader of the team???
Well, again from my time at practice, it is Nem who knows where each player should be and what he should be doing based upon his experience. But, now that the freshmen are really no longer freshmen, it is still Nem who pulls them aside to talk and "adjust" attitudes.

You'll note that Nem no longer shows his frustration on the court as he did earlier in the season; not because he's playing better, but because his role has been better defined -- regardless of what many fans may think or how it may appear on the court. Neutral

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by Rob's Jacket on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Haven't been to a Portland/Gonzaga game since the Holton era, but I'm trekking up tomorrow with a friend fellow law student whose GU-supporting family buys season tickets just to get good seats to this game. So if you see a semi-inebriated guy wearing a Pooh Jeter Sacramento Kings jersey surrounded by annoying Zag fans, please do say hello.

In order to have a chance in this game, we have to hit some outside shots, especially early on. Unless we can spread the Zags out and get some space for Thomas and Ryan to work and for Tim to drive to the basket, they'll just clog the paint and dare us to shoot over them.


Last edited by Rob's Jacket on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!

"I’m excited about being part of the Pilot Nation." - Terry Porter

Rob's Jacket
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 774
Location : On the court
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Happy to actually be able to watch this one for the first time in a long time - The Score is carrying the game up here in the motherland!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Rob's Jacket wrote:Haven't been to a Portland/Gonzaga game since the Holton era, but I'm trekking up tomorrow with a friend fellow law student whose GU-supporting family buys season tickets just to get good seats to this game.
It must not be uncommon. We sit next to a very nice couple who never miss a game and root very hard for the Pilots the entire season until the Gonzaga game. Apparently they're GU alums. Rolling Eyes

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by PilotNut on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:14 pm


Pilots Host Rival Gonzaga on National TV

Portland Pilots (5-15, 2-5) vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs (16-3, 6-1)
Date: Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012
Tip-off: 8:00 p.m.
Location: Portland, Ore.
Arena: Chiles Center (4,852)
Television: ESPN2
Radio: 800 AM
Overall Series: 65-89
At UP: 34-34
At GU: 22-43
At Neutral: 9-12
Last: GU 90, POR 51 (Dec. 28, 2011 at Gonzaga)


COMING UP
• Portland (5-15, 2-5 WCC) concludes its three-game WCC home-stand when the Gonzaga Bulldogs (16-3, 6-1) visit the Chiles Center on Thursday at 8 p.m.
• The game will be televised live on ESPN2 with Dave Flemming and Miles Simon calling the action.
• All Portland basketball games will be broadcast live on True Talk 800 AM, with a 30-minute pregame show. Bill Johnson will call the action courtside and an audio simulcast will also be available on www.PilotsVideo.com.


TICKETS AND PROMOTIONS
• A handful of tickets were still available for Thursday’s game through the Pilot Box Office, or any Ticketmaster outlet, as of Wednesday morning.
• The first 4,000 fans will receive a complimentary Pilots rally towel at Thursday’s game.
• Tickets are still available for Portland’s three final home games through all Ticketmaster outlets, online at ticketmaster.com, or through the Pilot Box Office (M-F, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Tickets may also be purchased at the door 90 minutes prior to tipoff each game. Call the Pilot Box Office at (503) 943-7525 with any questions.


ABOUT GONZAGA
• The Bulldogs (16-3, 6-1 WCC) have won three straight and 11 of their last 12 outings.
• Gonzaga’s lone WCC loss was an 83-62 drubbing at Saint Mary’s.
• Signature non-conference wins for the Bulldogs came at home against Washington State (89-81), Notre Dame (73-53), Arizona (71-60) and Butler (71-55). GU’s only non-conference losses were at Illinois (82-75) and versus Michigan State (74-67).
• Junior F Elias Harris leads the Bulldogs in scoring (13.5) and rebounding (7.9), while freshman PG Kevin Pangos adds 13.4 points per game.
• Senior C Robert Sacre (11.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg) joined Harris on the WCC Preseason All-Conference Team.
• Gonzaga has won or shared 11 consecutive WCC regular season titles and was the preseason favorite to win again in 2012 according to the league’s head coaches.
• Mark Few is in his 13th season as the head coach and 23rd year overall at Gonzaga.


LINEUP NOTES
• Senior PG Eric Waterford earned his first start of the season on Saturday after a solid game off the bench last Thursday, but suffered a knee injury after just three minutes and was unable to return. Waterford is questionable for Thursday.
• Sophomore C Riley Barker has missed the last 13 games (knee) and will not be available on Thursday.
• Head coach Eric Reveno has used seven different starting lineups this year.
• Sophomore Ryan Nicholas is the only Pilot to start all 20 games this year, while 11 different Pilots have started at least one game.
• Three different freshmen have started at least four games.


_________________
Run 'Em Aground Pilots!

PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3914
Age : 43
Location : The 503
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by dholcombe on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:35 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
ShipstadPilot11 wrote:
Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'm not really pulling for Nem anymore. I'm beginning to think that his minutes would be better served giving some playing time to younger guys so that they develop and are more experienced next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see him return to form but it seems unlikely at this point and I'm really not sure how it would impact the trajectory of our season.
I know the frustration with Nem’s season is real because so much is expected of him after his previous performance, but let’s not write him off; he still contributes.

Based upon percentage of team points scored in WCC play only:

Nicholas 17.22% in 70% of available minutes (AM)(Based upon 280 minutes in 7 WCC games divided by 12 players)
K. Bailey 15.89% in 63% AM
van der Mars 15.45% in 66% AM
Mitrovic 10.82% in 58% AM
Douglas 10.15% in 64% AM
Cason 7.95% in 48% AM

Numbers don’t tell the whole tale, but he’s the senior on the floor; without Waterford, it's his team.

Check out these interesting stats from WCC play:

Douglas 179 minutes/27 assists/31 turnovers/46 points
Rodgers 92 minutes/10 assists/6 turnovers/22 points
Waterford 41 minutes/4 assists/2 turnovers/16 points

Based purely on numbers, if you were to double Rodgers' playing time and statistics, should he be our starting point guard?

I like Rodgers play this year much better than Tim's and I have been wondering why Rev doesn't start someone else such as Rodgers. I was thrilled when Waterford got the start after playing well, but now that he's injured and sitting again Rodgers would be my first choice.

Last year Tim was able to contribute, but his high # of turnovers still frustrated me. This year he's still turning over the ball quite a bit and doesn't seem to be adding spark or many points while he is on the floor. I guess I just never got on the Tim Douglas bandwagon.

dholcombe
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 421
Location : Aloha
Registration date : 2009-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by up7587 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm

IMIO, the offense just stalls too many times when Rodgers plays. Since he never shoots, the defense backs off him and packs the center, so we end up trying to score with 4 against 5. DR's individual numbers may be OK, but how does the team as a whole perform on offense when he is in?

up7587
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3512
Age : 62
Location : Portland
Registration date : 2007-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by DoubleDipper on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:15 pm

It better look at lot like this tomorrow night:


Two questions:

1. Why have the Teletubbies been banned from roaming the Chiles Center?
2. Who's that big, good looking guy in the lower right of the picture looking at himself on the big screen? Certainly not a student?

DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 6247
Location : Across the Bridge
Registration date : 2011-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by PilotNut on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm

up7587 wrote:IMIO, the offense just stalls too many times when Rodgers plays. Since he never shoots, the defense backs off him and packs the center, so we end up trying to score with 4 against 5. DR's individual numbers may be OK, but how does the team as a whole perform on offense when he is in?

Agreed... we have little if any perimeter threat any more (Nem doesnt shoot--heck, hardly even looks for a shot--even when wide open, Rodgers never shoots, Douglas hardly launches the 3, Carr gets mugged when in...). Tanner is really our only legitimate perimeter threat anymore, and he is inconsistent at best.

IMO Nem needs to shoot more, period. We need to keep the defense honest and make them defend our guards at the 3-point line... that should open up opportunities to get the ball down low.




_________________
Run 'Em Aground Pilots!

PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3914
Age : 43
Location : The 503
Registration date : 2007-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: vs. Gonzaga, 1/26, 8pm, ESPN2

Post by ShipstadPilot11 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:2. Who's that big, good looking guy in the lower right of the picture looking at himself on the big screen? Certainly not a student?
No longer a student. However, at the time of this picture being taken, a student.

ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 899
Age : 28
Location : P-Town, Oregon
Registration date : 2009-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum