Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18

+6
KFTC
Geezaldinho
GUPhantom
pms275
wrv
FANatic
10 posters

Go down

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18 Empty PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:10 am

Better run, Buffs! Better hide, Buffs! Because you are standing right in the middle of the road; our road to the 3rd Round of the NCAA National Championships! Better go now, Buffs, or you'll get caught in a stampede of wild Pilots!!! Twisted Evil

(Thanks for inspiration, wrv.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18 Empty Game Quotes from Colorado site

Post by wrv Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Some interesting comments from both sides:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3937&SPID=259&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1321800

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18 Empty Re: PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18

Post by pms275 Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:28 pm

And now the bigger quest begins....getting tickets to Saturday's game at Merlo.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18 Empty Re: PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18

Post by FANatic Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:47 pm

Buffs held their positions well and simply wouldn't allow a stampede. Their defense was very prickly, especially in the first half.

Our goal was a beaut! Great set-up by Michelle and good, hard finish by Soph against a very strong keeper. Buffs played us tighter than I thought they could.

Our defense, however, was rock-solid as Kelsey had to make an eye-popping zero saves. We loosened up after our goal and I thought we would probably put away at least one more golden nugget. Our passes seemed less contested as they concentrated on getting the equalizer and our offense started to look very fluid and dangerous again.

Our "D" was determined to protect Kelsey, however. Give the Buffs defense and keeper credit that we didn't break it open with at least one more goal.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:00 pm

I saw the game on Comcast. The Pilots dominated play but didn't appear as sharp as they have been. We seemed to struggle with maintaining a consistent threat. Hats off to the Buffs. Their back line and midfield were very strong on the ball and influenced a lot of the incosistencies with the UP attacks. Good challenge and test from CU. Cream is rising to the top. Opposition is only going to get tougher with each round.

It seemed like the elevation took a little bit of a toll too. I thought it was pretty noticable in the second half. The intensity with both teams fell off and everyone looked a tad slow...sometimes it looked like they were all running in mud.

GO PILOTS
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Yeah, all coaches going into a high high altitude place want to say altitude won't make a difference, but you know it does.
That the Buff's were also played out is a tribute to the UP system-make the other team chase.

Also, the big 12 is known being physical. Earlier in the year we got beat up pretty good by Purdue. I think that we're a lot better able to deal with that style now than we were back then.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Purdue lost to Indiana on a shootout today! Wow! I thought the Boilermakers would go deeper. A darkhorse to keep an eye out for. Not anymore I guess.

Stanford also barely made it to the next round. Won in a shootout against Cal.

Sweet 16 is shaping up!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:35 pm

Fla also squeaked by UCF in a shootout

USC had to go to overtime to eek out a win against Missou,

and our next opponent, Tennessee just got past Clemson in OT
I think Clemson beat them up Physically pretty well
It seems the refs are allowing a lot. I guess if you want to move on, you have to be willing to dish it out or take it, or both.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18 Empty See it again

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:58 am

Colorado has a link to an end zone video here:
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3937&SPID=259&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1321791

In the upper left is a video link. If you scroll out to just about an hour into the video, you can see Michelle's steal and feed, and Sophie's finish.

All you need to see...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:55 am

For you instant-gratification Pilot Junkies, it took a little bit of tinkering, but I uploaded the goal (and about a minute's worth a build-up before hand) to YouTube in a little 3 minute clip. I hope I don't get sued.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6TWz-klPM

P.S. If there's any interest, I can add the remainder of the game on there...maybe in 4 clips, split at the media timeouts and half-time?
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:31 am

Thanks for making the clip for us. It's fun to watch that beautiful play again.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 am

That was awesome!! Thanks for the clip KFTC!!

Go Pilots!
Beat Vols!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:24 am

short clips are OK under the fair use clause for the reporting of news and education
here's a piece on that: http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/04/the-clicker-youtube-and-fair-use-a-match-made-in-heaven/

and what is an accurate and what may qualify as the most annoying explanation of any legal concept I have ever encountered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo
all the clips fall under fair use.

I don't think putting the whole game under 4 clips qualifies as fair use, but I wasn't able to sit through the whole video.

Thanks for putting that up. Now, if we can just get somebody to put up "the Goal" from the San Diego game..
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 am

Amen, on "the Goal". I'd love to see a clip of that. Thankfully, it was right below me and is etched in my mind forever. But it happened so quick and Michelle made such a series of incredible to impossible moves, there is no way my memory can remember everything.

It was simply sublime...
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Thanks for posting that for those of us in Mexico to enjoy!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm

Speaking of the altitude: In Boulder, during the Denver game I sat/stood next to some very savvy fans from Boulder -- they weren't really Colorado fans, but just loved watching the soccer. In talking about Denver having beaten Stanford, they pointed out that it was on Sunday of a Friday/Sunday tournament in Boulder and said that the Stanford players were really dragging from the altitude. They loved how the Pilots played.

I think I remember the first year the Pilots won the NCAA, they started out with a tournament in Colorado, playing Denver and CU. I think we lost at least one game. Am I correct?

For Sunday's game, I was next to a very knowledgeable man from Boulder who also mainly was a soccer fan vs. a Buffaloes fan. He loved watching our team play, repeatedly saying, "Oh, that was so beautiful!" after a long string of passes.

Reminds me of how lucky we are to be here in Portland.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

PILOTS HUNT THE MIGHTY BUFFALO - 12pm TODAY - 11/18 Empty wrong year

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:16 am

It's nice to see fans out there enjoyed the soccer. The UC players and coach Kept saying we "danced on the ball" in the post game interviews. I couldn't tell if it was a slam or not. I don't think they see our brand of ball much in the big12.

In 2002 we won it all despite losing to Cal and Stanford early. 2003 was the year we went to Boulder, then Denver. Lost to Denver in the second game of the weekend 4-3 in overtime. I think Denver scored the first three goals. That was the year we had Christine and others out with National teams. Our season ended at home in the tournament third round against Santa Clara in a shootout after 3? overtimes. I tried to block it out, but now I'll toss all night. Thanks for nothin'. Mad
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down