Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the conference carousel continues

4 posters

Go down

the conference carousel continues Empty the conference carousel continues

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Cal Poly and UC Davis have left the Great West Conference to join the Big Sky, apparently just for Football.

At least that's what NCAA.com says.
http://www.ncaa.com/blog/d1football/2010/09/uc-davis-cal-poly-join-big-sky.html

I always thought the conference they were in was the Big West for most sports and the Great West for football., but the tweet I got from the NCAA said they are moving TO the Big West.

NCAA
UC Davis and Cal Poly to join Big West. http://bit.ly/aGPT4e

the article the tweet references calls the conference they are in both the Great West and the Big West, and they are moving to the Big Sky. I guess they are moving somewhere.

Pretty funny when even the NCAA can't keep track....
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

the conference carousel continues Empty Re: the conference carousel continues

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Haha so apparently the Great West WAS a football only conference for FCS schools until 2 years ago when they decided to go for ALL sports....

And somehow the New Jersey Tech, Texas Pan-Am and Chicago State are "west" conferences?? Wow their in conference travel budgets are going to be astronomical!

And apparently Seattle U might be headed there too: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700241969/UVU-joins-new-sports-conference.html
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:43 pm

My guess is that this is a preemptive move by the Big Sky in case the WAC tries to convince a couple Big Sky schools to move to Division I-A.

Even at the level of my alma mater, Willamette, there are rumblings that College of Idaho, Warner Pacific, and Concordia could jump ship from the NAIA Cascade Conference to the Northwest Conference (NCAA Division III) while Southern Oregon is looking at moving from NAIA to the Division II GNAC.

... and the saga continues ...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:00 pm

The plot thickens. Southern Utah and UND are going to the Big Sky in 2012. The commissioner says all their current members are staying as well.

http://fb.me/te1Akd9Y

(Raise your hand if you thought that was Notre Dame and not North Dakota. Given recent football performances could you blame them....)
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 pm

How about this? We've talked about Denver and/or Seattle as prospects for the WCC. But in the WAC? LINK confused

Last edited by up7587 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no proof reading)

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

So joining a basically irrelevant football contest? Interesting.... I'm not sure how they fit the WAC profile, but, SU will obviously want to play somewhere and actually have a chance at making the tournament, so you can't really blame them...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down