Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle

+20
Stonehouse
eProf
fwill
purple passion
jc
wrv
VillaGorilla
GUPhantom
Harry Redknapp
PurplePrideTrumpet
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
NWsocr
purple haze
DaTruRochin
SoreKnees
irish78
fozziewozzie
fan from afar
soccerjoy
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle - Page 3 Empty Re: TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle

Post by NWsocr Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 pm

I appreciate the excellent arguments that some of you have made on the subject. I especially enjoyed the John Calipari comment, a proven cheater.

The comparisons to the Lindsi Lisonbee story are also not comparable. She was and LDS kid that chose BYU, and it happened in May, signing day is in Feb. Not the same as the week before signing. I am also sure that BYU recruited her from the get go. UP did not recruit Micaela (not Michelle).

I still think that the way UP staff and her club coach went about this was wrong. If you ask D1 coaches if this was right %99 would say that this was not right.

I wish Micaela (not Michelle) the best of luck.

NWsocr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle - Page 3 Empty Re: TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 pm

NWsocr wrote:I appreciate the excellent arguments that some of you have made on the subject. I especially enjoyed the John Calipari comment, a proven cheater.
You're welcome. But...has Calipari actually been nailed for anything?

NWsocr wrote:I wish Micaela (not Michelle) the best of luck.
As do I.

It sounds like you're done with this, so I guess I won't get an answer as to why you didn't break this story in the summer if it's such a big deal.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm

NWsocr wrote:If you ask D1 coaches if this was right %99 would say that this was not right.

You're quite confident in the remarks you've made here today and list yourself as a trainer/coach in Seattle. Is it a fair assumption then that you have access to and have polled D1 coaches you know to come to this conclusion?
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:
NWsocr wrote:I appreciate the excellent arguments that some of you have made on the subject. I especially enjoyed the John Calipari comment, a proven cheater.
You're welcome. But...has Calipari actually been nailed for anything?

On an unrelated note, when I was in Indian Guides in my youth (Oddly enough the YMCA changed the name of that program... weird...), I managed to produce a lot of smoke without actually producing any fire...

Hahaha, so do I need to lock down this thread or shall we argue until one of us literally goes blue in the face? TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle - Page 3 Suspect

Last edited by DaTruRochin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inverting present and past tense, how silly of me!)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 pm

As a former Indian Guide myself (Little Thunder) I think if people want to flog a dead horse, go ahead and let them.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 pm

A_Fan wrote:As a former Indian Guide myself (Little Thunder) I think if people want to flog a dead horse, go ahead and let them.

Well, OK, but maybe the dead horse emoticon should be in the title... Beating a Dead Horse
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:54 pm

A_Fan wrote:As a former Indian Guide myself (Little Thunder) I think if people want to flog a dead horse, go ahead and let them.

Little Thunder has spoken with wisdom at the tribal council, may it be so...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:

Well, OK, but maybe the dead horse emoticon should be in the title... Beating a Dead Horse
We could talk about how far back the stats pages go...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:09 pm

Or the Hall of Fame...

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 pm

TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle - Page 3 27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 pm

up7587 wrote:Or the Hall of Fame...

Grrrrr..... Evil or Very Mad
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

I would still like to add to the horse flogs, with mixed metaphors of course:

NWsocr paints himself into a corner. Regarding Lisonbee, respectfully, your factual distinction that the timing of her change in committment was different than Capellle's is accurate, but your fundamental point was that no school should recruit a soccer player after a committment and that, according to what you wrote, was your concern, not the timing of the change.

Either it is wrong to continue to speak with a player after committment or it is not, you suggested. Lisonbee's change is comparable in that light, but it is an example of decommittment that apparently does not concern you. And it should not, but then Capelle's change might well be less cause for concern than sugggested, even if the timing creates greater inconvienence. The fact is, you are splitting a pretty fine moral hair here.

As before, I need more facts by far before I conclude that anything was done wrong. I agree that the players own feelings are an important part of this discussion and we know nothing on that score . . .nor do we know the facts underlying the change.

To continue with the point Stonehouse and others have flogged the horse with, the world of women's soccer is not perfect. Its competitive, and frankly not unique, though I think you suggested that as well.

Appreciate the discussion/

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420

Back to top Go down

Post by peanut Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm

I think NWscr knows what he's talking about. And by the way, if you can't spell her first name, just call her Capelle.

peanut
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Moist Pits... Just how many SockPuppets do you have, anyway?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by peanut Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Only one.
But I'm disappointed. I thought UPSF would come on and tell me I have no right to have an opinion. After all this is only my second post........he knows nothing about me.........therefore ........I must be suggesting something........or making assumptions........unwarranted assumptions that is........

peanut
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by NWsocr Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Great point about the Lisonbee case. I do think that it was wrong to continue recruiting a committed player, but the timing makes it less problematic and there was a religious aspect that may limited her choice from a family perspective.

Calipari's Umass team had to vacate its 1996 final four appearance, and his Memphis team had to vacate the entire 2008 season when they played in the National Title game.

NWsocr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 pm

NWsocr wrote:Great point about the Lisonbee case. I do think that it was wrong to continue recruiting a committed player, but the timing makes it less problematic and there was a religious aspect that may limited her choice from a family perspective.

what? Mormons can do things for religious considerations but people of other faiths can't?

I wonder if Capelle is Catholic....sounds Italian to me.

Besides whether Lisonbee was Mormon or not, there are no allowances that I am aware of in the supposed code of honor in recruiting for religion.

And in an interview on the BYU site, Lisonbee cited that she decided not to go to a high pressure environment where they think about soccer and training 24/7. religion wasn't mentioned.

Try again.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Ha ha... well, despite the Oregon fans/"people associated with the program" that want to get in a snit about this, no one can argue with the fact that no matter what happened UP did not break any NCAA rules.

Like I posted earlier, Garrett Smith and his staff are eminent professionals and deserve the benefit of the doubt - decades of running a clean program, amazing performance on the field, in the classroom and in the community... if Oregon fans want to have sour grapes, fine by me. I can take the heat. But let's stay away from calling him and his staff unethical or a cheat or anything else like that. He deserves that much. I'm sure he knew when this all went down that some feelings might be hurt and some egos might be bruised, but that doesn't change the fact that the most important person in all of this - the student-athlete - is healthy and successful and happy with the decision she made. That should matter for something.

Let's see Oregon fans do something about it and beat the Pilots on the field rather than cry about "honor codes" and whatever else on a message board.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Geezer, are you familiar with Bright from BigSoccer?

Just throwing it out there...Twisted Evil

FWIW, Portland's last NCAA violation was for holding illegal men's basketball tryouts, for which they were publicly reprimanded. That was back when Howard Hall was a top notch basketball arena.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by peanut Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Excuse me.....is someone here accusing UP of violating NCAA rules?

If anyone is getting in a "snit" I would say Stonehouse himself is included there. You are all so sensitive to criticism.

And by the way, Stonehouse, not all soccer players growing up in the Portland area idolize the UP program. And as far as assumptions go(?), I think assuming anyone here is an Oregon fan would equally qualify.

peanut
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Oh right... I forgot that when people come onto a message board dedicated to Portland Pilots athletics and post things calling our coach unethical, it's expected that UP fans who regularly post - anyone who's willing to spend lots of time on a site like this qualifies as a super fan - just idly sit by and not even bother to defend the program. I'm sure if I went onto the eDuck board and posted something like "Chip Kelly is a snake... the guy doesn't break NCAA rules, but the way he recruits is totally frowned upon" all the fans there would just take their medicine and keep their mouths shut. TopDrawerSoccer article on Capelle - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes

And of course not all soccer players growing up here idolize UP. Just like not all kids who play basketball idolize the Blazers. But most do, and it's silly to even argue the point.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by peanut Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Getting a little defensive, Stonehouse?
I'm just pointing out that you should look in the mirror. No one called Garret Smith a snake. No one said he broke NCAA rules. No one called him a "whiney ass". Those statements all came from the "super fans".
And you did say NWscr was making assumptions. Maybe he knows something you don't. And maybe you're the one making assumptions......like that I'm an Oregon fan and that most soccer kids growing up in Portland idolize UP. I could argue that point with facts, but it would be silly.

peanut
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Stonehouse did not call you an Oregon fan. In his last post he was using the Ducks as an example. Now who's making assumptions?

I think at this point we are all aware of what you've had to say about this matter.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerjoy Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:41 pm

peanut wrote:I think NWscr knows what he's talking about. And by the way, if you can't spell her first name, just call her Capelle.

Micaela, although a beautiful name, is not a very common name and some of us Pilot fans are little slower learning how to spell her name correctly.

Please be patient with us because I assure you if she keeps playing like this, it won't be too long before some serious Pilot soccer fans will name their new born girls Micaela! Smile

soccerjoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:49 pm

soccerjoy wrote:
Please be patient with us because I assure you if she keeps playing like this, it won't be too long before some serious Pilot soccer fans will name their new born girls Micaela! Smile

We already named our new cat Sophie...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next