Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden: 7/13 ESPN 7 pm...

4 posters

Go down

Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden:  7/13 ESPN 7 pm... Empty Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden: 7/13 ESPN 7 pm...

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:13 pm

US leads 1-0...from a goal from Amy Rodriguez. (I can't stand the A-Rod nickname...so annoying.) Cox and Rapinoe are both playing well. Cox served a nice ball to Wambach, and Rapinoe has had a few nice runs through the midfield...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden:  7/13 ESPN 7 pm... Empty Re: Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden: 7/13 ESPN 7 pm...

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm

1-1 tie. I hate to say it, but, the team didn't look very good. They came pretty close to losing the first friendly that they led in 7 years. Sweden's defensive pressure was pretty good, and their counter attacks were pretty dangerous...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden:  7/13 ESPN 7 pm... Empty Re: Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden: 7/13 ESPN 7 pm...

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Someone said Lilly seemed to be in the best shape.

I hope it was one of those conditioning issues that workouts have been too hard or something.

Because if your Grandma is in better shape than you are, something is wrong.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Women's Natonal Team vs. Sweden:  7/13 ESPN 7 pm... Empty Kristine Lilly

Post by Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 am

It's in the genes, man.

Kristine Lilly has (in the words of Steve Prefontaine) "the gift". She can run all day and then she can run all night.

She is amazing to behold (simply enjoy it while it lasts).

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Someone said Lilly seemed to be in the best shape.

I hope it was one of those conditioning issues that workouts have been too hard or something.

Because if your Grandma is in better shape than you are, something is wrong.

That was Tony DiCicio, the old coach who said that. Actually, his quote was that her conditioning was the best for his team in the WPS, The Boston Breakers. I'm not sure if he would argue that she was in the best shape for the women's national team.

I think that a lot of players move up from the U-23 team again when it's all said and done...
Kristina Lilly is still a tremendous player though. She had a nice center on the ball as soon as she entered the game. This team could use a few more veterans to go with the youth; the team looked kind of tentative yesterday...and some players like Wambach held onto the ball too long instead of taking early shots once they reached breakaway positions.
I'm used to seeing the men's national team do that, not the women though...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 am

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
- Steve Prefontaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 am

I don't see this u23 team making a huge inroads before the World Cup next year. They are all in College except Katie Schoepfer. Many are still juniors. It is a very young group. I see the couple of changes that will happen to the senior as coming out of the WPS.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by color me purple Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:53 pm

I watched that game and you are definately correct. They looked horrible in the second half. They gave away the ball way to often. Also, I hate to say anything negative about anyone on the team, but Abby Wambach is overrated in my opinion. She no longer displays the skills that she used to have. I thought Amy Rodriguez
had a very good game and would like to see her and Lauren Cheney together and see how that plays out.

color me purple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Wambach is over-rated, she is a tremendous player. In all fairness, this is only one game and it was a relatively meaningless friendly. There were some errors in many parts of the field, however, Switzerland is ranked #4 in the world and the coach seemed to be using this game as a barometer to see where we're at and to continue to make roster decisions. We've got to improve to beat Brazil and the best teams though and to avoid any future upsets...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by purple haze Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

As a Swedish-American I say, go, Sweden (even against USA) at this point. Swedes can play.
purple haze
purple haze
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down