Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another point guard might be coming in

+4
Geezaldinho
RiseUP
DaTruRochin
recruitrakker
8 posters

Go down

Another point guard might be coming in Empty Another point guard might be coming in

Post by recruitrakker Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

Scouts, Inc., on espn.com is reporting that Ryan Whitehead, a 6-0 point guard from Arizona is considering Portland. I did a search on Whitehead and he was second-team all-state this year and he has a highlight film. Kid's got some hops:

Highlight video

recruitrakker
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-17

Back to top Go down

Another point guard might be coming in Empty Re: Another point guard might be coming in

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 am

Very intriguing! I think one thing this years team has lacked is an athletic scorer (esp when Nik went down)... This kid can clearly score in a variety of ways, but my biggest concern is ones ability to "run a team" something that doesn't necessarily translate from a highlight video. But you gotta like the 4.4 GPA, esp after the whole Shamburger situation...

And obviously PG is a very big ?? since the only true PG we have on the team for next year is Waterford, and he's barely seen the court this year. I know Jared has improved his handles/passing and Luke has that "point forward" passing ability, but a traditional point guard is definitely a concern...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Another point guard might be coming in Empty Re: Another point guard might be coming in

Post by Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 am

At Scouts.com, Portland is on a long list of prospective teams for Thomas Feeney, a PG from Anchorage AK. Don't know if the school has any reciprocal interest.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 am

Perhaps this is what Rev was talking about recruits responding well to the teams success/style the last few years....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Does anyone know the scholarship situation? We're graduating 5 players, Hegarty left last summer, is Porter coming back? I'd assume Schaefer and Cody didn't get scholarships as walk-ons but Hegarty's may have gone to one of them.

I'm asking because we've signed 5, have 1 verbal, and they are clearly shooting for a couple more. Are any of the recruits going to get partial scholarships? It would be nice if our bench could be a little larger next season.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Porter is not coming back. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:33 pm

RiseUP wrote:Does anyone know the scholarship situation? We're graduating 5 players, Hegarty left last summer, is Porter coming back? I'd assume Schaefer and Cody didn't get scholarships as walk-ons but Hegarty's may have gone to one of them.

I'm asking because we've signed 5, have 1 verbal, and they are clearly shooting for a couple more. Are any of the recruits going to get partial scholarships? It would be nice if our bench could be a little larger next season.

There are no partial scholarships in Basketball - it's all or nothing.

Porter isn't coming back.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Another point guard might be coming in Empty recruits

Post by upsailor Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:08 pm

I know we signed four early, but where did the fifth signing come from ?

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:15 pm

upsailor wrote:I know we signed four early, but where did the fifth signing come from ?

It's a verbal....http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=2501&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d2501

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 pm

So I believe we have 4 signees and 1 verbal. With 5 seniors plus Porter and Hegarty, there may be 2 scholarships left.

So, should they all be filled, or should any be kept for next year, to spread out the classes? Four more will open next year. Should be loaded again in 4 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:32 pm

I guess I would try and fill in another JC type to balance out the classes a bit, and unless they can get an impact guy with the last one, I say hold it over....
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Rev posted this like an hour ago:
Just got a fantastic call for the Pilot program. Another player who wants to be a part of all the excitement we are building on the Bluff!

Consider me intrigued!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 am

Well, a reference to building excitement on the bluff by Reveno, more importantly, suggests a mind set of remaining with the program . . .harder to build "Pilot program" excitement from the comfortable environs of UC Irvine.

In Reveno's defense, should he take the job, I think he would be the first head coach to have left this institution for another D1 head coach position. In fact, I think only Jack Avina continued to coach for a living after his departure--the rest never returned to the profession. Not an outcome Reveno would want. . .though that could also happen to him in the UC system.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:48 am

wrv wrote:Well, a reference to building excitement on the bluff by Reveno, more importantly, suggests a mind set of remaining with the program . . .harder to build "Pilot program" excitement from the comfortable environs of UC Irvine.

I got the same exact thought when I read that.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Eh, the UC Irvine is a purely speculative notion... And probably not even a lateral move program size/conference wise. That was all a beat writer making something out of nothing.

But that aside him continuing to work hard bringing in strong recruits? I don't think there is a way to interpret that poorly.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:17 pm

The UC Irvine "rumor" was just that... a silly internet rumor. Someone probably overheard Rev say "You see, you're fine" and mis heard it....

Not to say there arent schools looking at him seriously (and why wouldnt they?!)... a lot of schools will put him on their wish list... but interest has to be reciprocal...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:13 pm

How do you get a 4.4 on a 4.0 scale? Do you get extra credit now for taking AP classes? All of a sudden, I feel a little bit older.

I'm old!

Great video all the same.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:20 pm

(Yeah some schools do slide the scale for AP, IB and some honors classes.... I wish that scale was in place back in the day.)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by RiseUP Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:20 pm

There are some schools that give an extra point for AP and Honors classes. Still a 4.4 is very, very solid.

RiseUP
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down