Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Bowl Season!

+11
StudentPilot
ExpatPilot
Geezaldinho
blacksheep
DoubleDipper
PurplePrideTrumpet
PilotNut
mattywizz
onetouchfutbol
pilotram
DaTruRochin
15 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

It's Bowl Season! - Page 6 Empty Re: It's Bowl Season!

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:32 pm

up7587 wrote:Yeah, what happens if/when covid hits one of the four playoff teams?  Wonder if they've had those teams locked in isolation?
Having lived for a combined five years in SC, FL, AL, and GA, I think I can say with confidence that if it comes down to COVID testing results, it will be an all SEC final.

No thing and no person is more important than football in the SEC... elephant
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11237
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:10 pm

I gotta admit I was rooting for North Carolina over South Carolina in the Duke's Mayo Bowl simply because the Tar Heels are coached by the much-admired Mack Brown...but the SEC finally got a bowl win after starting 0-3.  (I think the SEC has 8 more chances)

And really, you haven't lived until you've eaten a glazed donut dipped Duke's Mayonnaise. tongue
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:58 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I gotta admit I was rooting for North Carolina over South Carolina in the Duke's Mayo Bowl simply because the Tar Heels are coached by the much-admired Mack Brown...but the SEC finally got a bowl win after starting 0-3.  (I think the SEC has 8 more chances)

And really, you haven't lived until you've eaten a glazed donut dipped Duke's Mayonnaise. tongue

The Gamecocks remain the only SEC winner so far, as Tennessee lost to Purdue 48-45, joining Missouri, Florida, Auburn and Mississippi St. as SEC bowl losers. The conference is now 1-5. (let's not talk about the Pac -12). Four more SEC teams play in bowls, and of course Alabama and Georgia are in the playoff games.

And is that better than french fries dipped in Best Foods?

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:31 pm

Oh boy. An all-SEC championship game. Rematch to boot. Yay. I am so excited. Rolling Eyes

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:37 pm

Watching portions of the Cotton and Orange Bowls today made me appreciate the competitiveness and excitement that is college basketball.. Basketball .
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:18 am

I read this morning that the Alabama coach is paid $9.75 million yearly, and the Georgia coach gets $7.13 million, ranking only fifth among SEC coaches.

LSU recently fired their coach and gave him $16.9 million just to go away before they signed Brian Kelly away from Notre Dame for a reported $9 million per year, plus a $500,000 “longevity” bonus every July. And they will give him another $500,000 if LSU wins half of its regular-season games…the mediocre record that got the previous coach fired.

I am not claiming all this money paid to coaches is not worth it, after all, in most every state the highest paid state employee is the football or basketball coach, so states must be getting a good return for their investments at their schools. Right?  

But I am hoping the football revenue coming from TV and sponsors is also going to the schools for better salaries and benefits for their staff and faculty and for the betterment of their student’s education.  As a U. of Oklahoma president reportedly once said, “I would like to build a university of which the football team would be proud.”

It's Bowl Season! - Page 6 Footba10
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:34 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:But I am hoping the football revenue coming from TV and sponsors is also going to the schools for better salaries and benefits for their staff and faculty and for the betterment of their student’s education.

First, I am going to recommend the book 15 Sports Myths and Why They're Wrong by economist Rodney Fort.

Second, I am going to inform you all that the salaries of employees of public universities (faculty and staff alike) are posted publicly online. Usually a Google search like "[state name] public salaries" or "[state name] university salaries" will get what you need. So, you can go compare the head football coach's pay to the assistant professor's pay.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:04 pm

Georgia plays great in the 4th quarter and outscores Bama 20-9, to come back from a turnover and win 33-18.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

ExpatPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6