Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simply WOW!!!

+16
mattywizz
VillaGorilla
wrv
PilotNut
Stonehouse
PurplePrideTrumpet
runner girl
DaTruRochin
purple haze
KFTC
Geezaldinho
fozziewozzie
aleppiek
SoreKnees
FANatic
ohhh_yeah
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Simply WOW!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Simply WOW!!!

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:01 pm

up7587 wrote:I predict that the media exposure of this type of play will increase attendance, at least until the new "fans" figure out this stuff doesn't happen all the time. Twisted Evil
Kind of like the people who go to hockey games and expect to see nonstop fighting, only to find it plays just a small role in the game.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:31 am

up7587,
you are exactly right. i listen to espn radio going into work in the a.m. colin cowherd, former kgw sportscaster is on the air then. he has become a fan of soccer an he talked a bit about this incident. he read an e-mail from a listener that said in part, 'yea, i'll watch soccer if i can see this'.
i am still amazed that anyone can defend this play let alone sportmanship. in the u of p/usd game tonight, keelin got thrown to the groun pretty hard in the second half an she came up with venom in her eyes. no foul was called, but she 'didn't lose control of her emotions'.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:46 am

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Ummm...I didn't see a lot of missed fouls tonight. I really didn't. I thought he did well to let them play a little.

I think he reffed like he had someplace better to be... I think a less disciplined team could have turned the game a lot uglier, maybe it was the ESPN U camera angle, but I definitely saw some headscratching no-calls
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:31 am

Geezaldinho wrote:
Aww c'mon. Players jostle for position all the time An elbow is an elbow, and a forearm is a forearm. there isn't much difference that I see. Soccer is a contact sport. Nobody has mentioned Shumway creaming the keeper with her elbow on the way down after the cross early, either.

The trip? you've never seen a trip?

And the shorts pull? it looked like a front-side wedgie to me. If you don't want to get yanked down, keep your hands off peoples private areas.

The ball kick to the head?
a) not lambert
b) pretty close to the whistle and the ref was right there and didn't even talk to the kid, so maybe he though it was no big deal.
c) um.. this is soccer. sometimes you TRY to get the ball with your head. The player just got up and got ready for the kick. Besides, it looked like it went off the shoulder, not the head. Aren't defenders taught to not quit on the ball?

Don't make me go back through the highlight reels from this year and last where we celebrated Kassi taking somebody's legs out during a tackle, or Dani getting upended, or Megan R. throwing her own pretty good elbow after taking some. Or Sweeney creaming somebody or pushing Cristen Press to the ground and stepping over her during the u23 game. - Or Kendall Johnson point blanking a player in the head with the ball.. People get taken down all the time by the legs and from behind.

It's a rough sport.

Topdrawer did his little article about what a dirty player Lambert was, and didn't even mention the BYU abuses other than to say Paine was "niggly" Kinda one sided, if you ask me.

Maybe the ref could have stopped it with a couple of early cards, but he didn't. By rule he should have probably ejected both Paine and Lambert, but he didn't do that either.
but this portrait of Lambert as the spawn of Satan is ridiculous. I saw a rough game in the clips that have been shown on both sides.

I've really got to go with the eminent Geez on this one here. I was half-watching Sportscenter and my head swung around in shock when they showed the hair-pull incident (perhaps it might have been the bountiful amount of pale ale), but after watching it again, I can't help but think that it was a hugely exaggerated reaction. That was a total dive.

The player should nonetheless serve a multiple-game suspension; that type of extracurricular, although not nearly as malicious in intent or vicious in execution as some of the tackles during the rest of the match, warrants aggressive action on the part of the program and conference. Hard tackles happen naturally during the course of play; tugging at another player's hair should not.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:44 am

VillaGorilla wrote: That was a total dive.

Might want to rewatch it... Wink
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:07 am

I don't know about a "total" dive...but she definitely sold it.

The BYU players weren't really on their best behaviour either...they were just a little less obvious about it, maybe it was their lack of caffeine consumption.
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dwm Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:39 am

Perfect one-touch passes and shots, great footwork, and knowing where your teammate will be two seconds later are refined skills that require tons of talent and practice. Hair-pulling, shirt-pulling, shorts-pulling, and two-handed shoves from behind are not. The former make the beautiful game beautiful. They are why we love watching the game. The latter make the beautiful game ugly and slimy. The latter could easily be reduced by about 98% if refs made a consistent practice of carding it when they see it clearly.

Making excuses for that crap can't seriously pass for intelligent discussion, so I'll assume it's tongue in cheek.

Elbows to the ribs and similar fouls while struggling for position over the ball are different. I think they are more or less inevitable in high-spirited, competitive play, and sure, they should be whistled every once in a while when they are potentially injurious and also gain a clear advantage, but I would expect teams I root for to do them, often.

dwm
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ktinpurple Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:24 am

Anger management issues. You could see her snap in each situation. Sure, the other team did elbow and grab but that's pretty standard. The action did not justify the reaction. I do disagree that this is what men's soccer looks like. Punching and kicking... looked like fighting/brawling to me.

Hey Geez, don't take it personally that we don't agree with you. That's what these forums are for... discussions.
ktinpurple
ktinpurple
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:34 am

These to teams did play a previous game, which BYU won 3-0. I wonder if there was some carry over from that game?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Haha well clearly we've seen the BYU story... But as always, the victors write the history books. You gotta wonder what secondary plots led to behavior like that, or is that just how New Mexico plays??
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:37 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:
PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Ummm...I didn't see a lot of missed fouls tonight. I really didn't. I thought he did well to let them play a little.

I think he reffed like he had someplace better to be... I think a less disciplined team could have turned the game a lot uglier, maybe it was the ESPN U camera angle, but I definitely saw some headscratching no-calls
I was going to go with, "Just like a United fan, going to SAF's default line about 'the referee made a number of wrong decisions and was not up to the task of this level of game.'" Razz

I kid, I kid... Now that C-Ron is gone I find Chelsea much more distasteful than Man Utd.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Graham Hayes weighed in on the situation as well, and alludes to the fact that perhaps we all overreacted to the entire incident:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=hays_graham&id=4637460
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jc Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:36 am

More discussion of this incident and of over-aggressiveness in women's soccer in general in a Jere Longman article in the New York Times Nov. 11, with commentary from Foudy, Arena, Dorrance, and others; link below:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/sports/soccer/11violence.html?_r=1&ref=sports
jc
jc
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:46 am

Interestingly enough, just before the BYU/New Mexico game, I heard about a high school game fight back in the Vermont state championship tournament that erupted in very much the same situation as at the BYU/NM game -- lots of very rough play being allowed without sanction, etc. A local sports photographer/writer, who takes pictures during contests and sells them via a website, was at the game and as part of about 200 game photos included a good number of very clear and close-up pictures of the fight. The incident itself, but also the photographer's publication of the photos, generated a great deal of discussion, some of it very heated. A good part of the discussion was about whether the photographer should have put the photos on-line.

My friend who told me about it, who is a teacher, felt the event and aftermath created an excellent educational moment.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by ohhh_yeah Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Nine high school girls have been suspended for their involvement in a massive brawl November 8 fight at a soccer game in Rhode Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxOa63sL-Ks
ohhh_yeah
ohhh_yeah
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2