Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colorado College

+4
FANatic
A_Fan
Geezaldinho
Indigo Kid
8 posters

Go down

Colorado College Empty Colorado College

Post by Indigo Kid Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Article from Colorado College athletic site on match this weekend. I did not realize that they have a 3-3 record versus Portland.
http://www.cctigers.com/news/2009/9/1/WSOC_0901092123.aspx
Indigo Kid
Indigo Kid
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Colorado College Empty Re: Colorado College

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Penn State/UP Fan wrote:Article from Colorado College athletic site on match this weekend. I did not realize that they have a 3-3 record versus Portland.
http://www.cctigers.com/news/2009/9/1/WSOC_0901092123.aspx

actually, according to last year's media guide, we are 2-3-0 against them. <edit> looking at the year-by-year schedules instead of the composite, 3-3-0 is correct.

Each time it was there, they won, and each time it was here, we did.

This should be a good game, they are 2-0 and beat Drake and Washington State. The WSU game was one of those games that was the second in a weekend at altitude for a sea level team. Lots of good teams have been bitten by that syndrome. including us, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.

Altitude won't be a problem this weekend, though, and it's almost a home game for us.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Good win for the Pilots, they came pretty close to their goal of no shots for the opposition, they game up only 3 all in the 2nd half.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Pilots win: 2 - 0 on two goals by Elli.

Portland outshot Colorado College 18 - 3.

Fourth straight shutout for Pilots, and 4-0-0 record.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 pm

It would be nice to get report from someone at the game.

among other things, I'd like to know how they handled Cloee coming out.

My guess - Sweeney moved to the middle, Elli dropped back to outside defense, and Kendall played in front of her...
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:00 am

Also -

it looked like Colorado might have been playing with only one attacker. Was that the case?

Did we dominate possession as thoroughly as the shot ratio suggests?

All those shots with only two goals - the percentage of shots to shots on goal was good, meaning we got our shots on goal. Was their keeper good, did we not finish well, or were a lot of our shots easy saves, maybe from too far away?

Most of our shots came from mids. Were they keying on Sophie and Danielle?

I believe we allowed only one shot, which went wide, with the starters in. Sounds like the defense and ball control were suffocating.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:11 am

I was not at the game so don't know for sure but Cloee came out at the same time as Kendra, and Kendall and Kristen (Kelly) came on - how about that for alliteration!

So my guess is that Kristen played center d with Michelle O, and Kendall played wide mid.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:30 am

Harry, that's the sort of thing (the alliteration) you would probably not notice if you were at the game - you notice it sitting in front of the computer, WAITING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN!!! - anything - a substitution, a foul, anything to move that screen (except a Colorado goal).
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by UPWomenSoccerRookie Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:03 am

I attended the game. Portland totally dominated the play. The time of possession stats may have been even more 1-sided than the shot stats.

Most everyone looked good. I liked the composure and control of Michelle Olivier. As a Kendra fan, I thought she had another game where she worked hard throughout, a couple of times just a hair away from a goal. Kristen Kelly took over Cloee’s spot. Sara Jackman played the 2nd half in Keelin’s spot. Kendall Johnson again looked good in her minutes on the pitch. Charney Burk showed real hustle and ball control.

I was surprised that some of the subs did not get in the game. I think Emma Nelson appeared before some of the others because she is from Washington.

I talked to Cassie; she is hoping to be ready the week after the Texas trip. She says her return keeps getting moved out because they don’t want to take any chances bringing her back too soon.

In the 2nd game, UW dominated Columbia as we dominated Colorado College. They looked tough.

UPWomenSoccerRookie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Colorado College Empty I was at the game

Post by estplnr Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am

I have 2 observations. 1).....seemed like as the women approaced the 18 yard line....they began to get VERT tentative about attacking the goal mouth!!!!!!!! Looked almost like they turned an attack into a passing drill waiting for E or Dannie to position themselves for shots. I like Sophie but do feel she passed on SEVERAL opportunities to stick the ball in the net!!!!!! 2.) I like the idea of substitutions.......I love the younger people being in real game situations......in years past....he would stick with the starting 11 with no fresh legs and teaching opportunities for newer people. Those people on the bench need to be ready for real game situations when someone goes down.....and someone always goes down in a long season. Ed

estplnr
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down