Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you think will start?

+12
pms275
UPSoccerFanatic
gnarly
Harry Redknapp
bluffer
harryb
Geezaldinho
aleppiek
DaTruRochin
fan from afar
Stonehouse
ptownpilots12
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who do you think will start? Empty Who do you think will start?

Post by ptownpilots12 Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Who do you think will be the opening game starters.

ptownpilots12
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Back to top Go down

Who do you think will start? Empty Re: Who do you think will start?

Post by Stonehouse Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Oooooh... pre-season prognostications! Something we never enjoy doing here on Pilot Nation... Smile

GK: Kelsey D. (unless she is not cleared to play yet)
D: Jessica T.
D: Michelle O.
D: Cloee C.
D: Megan S.
MF: Michelle E.
MF: Keelin W.
MF: Charney B.
MF: Elli R.
F: Sophie S.
F: Danielle F.

This was tougher than I had anticipated... it's possible that Elli could play on the back line and Kendra could start at the wing (with Megan S. going to the bench). But personally I think Elli is so good with the ball and is such an offensive threat that I like her more on the wing than on the back line. Though I guess it doesn't really matter - she'll make a big impact wherever she is. And I think at this point Sophie is entrenched at the forward spot.... she's just had so much success there, why try to put her back in the center midfield?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Same as Stonehouse, except Kendra replaces Megan. Elli moves to D (behind Michelle - wow), and Kendra at outside mid in front of Jessica (wow again). A healthy Kendra is too good - she has to be on the field. Megan and Kassie provide outstanding depth on D, and I can see Elli putting in substantial time at outside mid to give them playing time, especially when the opponents do NOT have the real speed on the outside that gives Megan trouble.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:15 pm

I think both of those lineups is a realistic possibility, as far as not starting Kendra, it might be nice to keep a player of her quality and pace to put on as a "super sub" of sorts to change the game. Then again with the talent on this team, whomever they have to sit is going to have that gamechinging quality off the bench. A pretty enviable tactical position for the coaching staff for sure...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Very good point - Megan or Kassie coming off the bench would not really be game-changers, whereas Kendra would be. If you start the best 11, though, Kendra will start.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Definitely agreed, I think you are going to see a lot of minor lineup tweaks throughout the season depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition... I don't know, I think tactically I like having a really strong attacking player on the bench just to bring in and add a new wrinkle to the attack mid-game
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Has anyone heard anything about Kassi's fitness after her back injury?

If she is unable to come off the bench I think that is a bit of depth that hurts more than it seems on the surface.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:27 pm

You guys who have seen the team in practice a little - I wonder if any of the new players could be instant offense off the bench?
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Kendall Johnson could be an x-factor, natural lefty with a lot of intangibles.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:34 pm

In regards to Kendall though, not sure if it is calculated or not, but you have to be pretty confident to take #3 immediately after the departure of one of the all-time fan favorites. Especially since she wore #5 in HS.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:40 pm

In my mind the big question is who will be playing offensive center mid in front of Keelin. Every other position has several options but this will be a key position and may take sometime to find the right mix in the midfield.

Wouldn't be to surprised to see Sophie here, she has good field vision, holds the ball well, distributes well, and can drive into the box when the opportunity presents itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by aleppiek Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 pm

I would imagine we'll see Charney there. Wouldn't be shocked however to see something along the lines of: Keelin at Attacking CM MO at Holding Mid, and then Chloee and Kassi in the back at some point this season.
aleppiek
aleppiek
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:39 pm

PilotPoser wrote:In my mind the big question is who will be playing offensive center mid in front of Keelin. Every other position has several options but this will be a key position and may take sometime to find the right mix in the midfield.

Wouldn't be to surprised to see Sophie here, she has good field vision, holds the ball well, distributes well, and can drive into the box when the opportunity presents itself.

from what I saw of Kendall, she could fill that roll. I also think you will see a lot of Taylor. She looked really good at outside defender the couple of times I saw her there. She was very poised, a good passer, and fearless. There are all kids of possibilities to think about. Molly may see some time in the middle of the defense. I didn't see enough of Elinor to comment.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by harryb Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:28 pm

I'd kind of like to see Sophie in the middle with Michelle and Danielle up front. That would leave probably Kendra and Elli (or maybe Kendall) on the wings. But Charney sure deserves to play; she's one of the best in the country.
harryb
harryb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I hear you on the Sophie thing, but... she hasn't played anything but forward for two years now and is listed on the official roster as an 'F' only. I really think she's only going to see minutes up front.

I think the likely central mids are Charney and Keelin, though I supposed Charney could bump out wide and Keelin and someone else (Johnson? Olivier? Jackman?) could play in the middle.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bluffer Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm

I have to agree with Harryb and Pilotposer. I would like to see Michelle E. up front with Danielle with Sophie as an attacking Mid. I know Sophie has played 2 years at forward for the Pilots, however, she still plays mid for Canada so I'm sure she hasn't forgotten how to play the position. You have to see her play that position to realize how dominating she is at mid.The rest of my lineup is Davis at goal, Sweeney, Cloee, Michelle O. and Reed on the back line with Tsao, Winters and Chandhoke filling the midfield slots with Schmidt.

bluffer
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:00 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I hear you on the Sophie thing, but... she hasn't played anything but forward for two years now and is listed on the official roster as an 'F' only. I really think she's only going to see minutes up front.

I think the likely central mids are Charney and Keelin, though I supposed Charney could bump out wide and Keelin and someone else (Johnson? Olivier? Jackman?) could play in the middle.

If Kassi comes back early you could see Olivier as Holding mid and Keelin as AM again. That worked pretty well when Keelin was in town last year.

There are just so many good players this year I think we'll see players coming in and out more than any time in the past. I agree you have to find a place for Charney, and Sweeney, and Brooke, and Kreminski, (add rest of roster).....

The big unknown is (knock on wood) staying injury free. That was the one big thing we had in both 2002 and 2005.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:44 pm

My guess:

Hailee (because Kelsey is just out of the wire); Jessica, Michelle O, Cloee, Elli; Keelin (holding mid), Kendra and Michelle E (wide mids); Charney (point of the diamond); Danielle and Sophie.

If Sophie is not ready to play (I'd heard from some folks that she was not playing in the scrimmages) then I'd guess that Megan S could be left back, Elli at wide mid, and Michelle E up front.

We might have more intel on who's fit etc. after Wednesday's season ticket event.

I like Sophie at forward because she can hold the ball up; might not be a bid deal against Loyola Marymount but is against top teams.

I like the speed of Kendra and Michelle E from wide; and the touch of Charney in the hole.

With Jessica and Elli outside backs you have a team than can switch to 2-4-4 veery quickly on offense; or to ut it another way, you can have lots of players going forward on offense, and lots coming back on defense.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by gnarly Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Do you think we might see the whole second string starting some games as a unit? I think they could beat most of the teams we play this year. That way the starting line up could get a rest, particularly on weekends with two games and it might provide more cohesion than just putting in a few with the reg starting unit?
clown

gnarly
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Haha so full hockey style line shifts?? Maybe we should start thinking about one of those 30+ player rosters to have three full shirts a game...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:44 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Haha so full hockey style line shifts?? Maybe we should start thinking about one of those 30+ player rosters to have three full shirts a game...

Even though that's what UNC has done for decades, I somehow don't see Garrett going to that style.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:29 pm

I happened to be on the Bluff yesterday morning, to interview a Pilots staff person on my specialty topic, and it turned out the women were practicing. All of them were playing except for Kassi, who was running laps. So, my guess is she isn't going to be playing for a while. I'm guessing Sophie is ready to go, and presumably so is everyone else. Kelsey and Hailee were working separately with Bill Irwin and were talking, so I couldn't tell how Kelsey is doing but she was in her soccer gear so I'm guessing she's either ready or close to ready.

The Trib article confirmed something I'd also understood from one of the parents we saw when we were out for one of the Wednesday scrimmages, which is that the players have been working really hard on strength and conditioning, all summer. I seem to recall the same thing happening the summer of '05.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 am

If you want to see the impact of the weight room work and off-season conditioning check out Elli Reed. She looks bigger and stronger than last season: her upper body - shoulders and arms - show that she has been working out.

Less likely to get knocked off the ball and able to tackle hard and bounce right back up again.

I remember in 2005 the players said that they knew that they needed to be tough enough to play physically and last through a whole season.
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by pms275 Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 am

I remember that too, Harry. I seem to remember the team deciding they weren't going to be outfouled as they had been in 2004. Great to hear that they have the same thinking for 2009!

In regard to starters...my hunch is that there probably won't be any set group until at least sometime in October. Besides a starting line-up that I suspect will be pretty fluid, I also see some players switching positions from game to game.
pms275
pms275
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by KFTC Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:16 pm

In regards to Kendall though, not sure if it is calculated or not, but you have to be pretty confident to take #3 immediately after the departure of one of the all-time fan favorites. Especially since she wore #5 in HS

Most of the time, Pilot freshman don't have any control over what number they get. Most of the time, anyway. I do know some players in the past were assigned one number as freshman and switched to another midway through their careers.
KFTC
KFTC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2007-10-19

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next