Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super season start

+3
fozziewozzie
UPSoccerFanatic
Geezaldinho
7 posters

Go down

Super season start Empty Super season start

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:43 pm

So-
I was walking down he street minding my own business, when I ran into a fellow Pilot fan who told me about a rumor that the opening weekend with UCLA will include National Champ USC!

If it's true, It'll be the best soccer weekend in Portland since we hosted the College Cup!

FANatic, does this rate a WooHoo! or what?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Super season start Empty Re: Super season start

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:10 pm

WooHoo! cheers
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm

absolutely fantastic!!! i was actually kind of surprised when i saw ucla was coming up here but usc wasn't. what a rocking house that will be!
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:31 pm

...which begs the question-- Which team will come in to fill out the possible foursome?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:43 pm

isn't it usually those smug b******* from seattle, u of w???
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Not likely.

I'm sure none of those schools will want to open their seasons with conference games.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:18 am

Who owes us games? Florida? Wouldn't that be great! Doesn't Connecticut owe us one too. Wouldn't that be great!

But: Did anyone notice that the Pilots have three players going to the U-20 camp? Michelle, Elli, and Keelin! Fantastic especially for Keelin. But, those selected for the U-20 World Cup may be red-shirting the entire season. Wouldn't that be a bummer.

Plus, if you follow the U-20 team, no North Carolina players are going to the camp. Why? Because they have decided they are going to stay home and play college soccer. Who knows if that is damage repair after the Dorrance case settlement. I have to say, this is one thing on which I agree with North Carolina. Every year, the best college teams get disrupted by wome world event. I think it's time they scheduled those events some other time.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:32 am

Maybe Anson's players aren't good enough anymore. Shocked

In the long run, I don't think Keeping your players home during Word Cup or Olympic years helps your program. Great players are always thinking about the next step, and those chances only come every 4 years. If they see that path blocked, they'll go elsewhere. Anson's keeping his players home may help him next year, but when the next Hamm or Sinclair comes along, he'll be out of the running. (truth be told, he may never have a chance at a player like those again).

Besides, I'm convinced that International competition makes players better. As long as you keep bringing in other great players to fill in while they are gone, it doesn't matter long term.

If you miss a year due to National Team or Olympic play, it doesn't count towards either your 4 year eligibility or your 5 year clock.

Florida does owe us a game, so does Connecticut and so does Colorado (they never returned a game from 2005). Texas might. Whether any of those teams will show up in August, I have no idea.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Geezer - Yes, indeed, this does rate a rather large WooHoo! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Could be a great time to impress potential recruits also if either or both of the games happen in September. If they happen in August, it will still be rip-roaring fun and hopefully two big sellouts! Nice way to start the new season!

I will comment on the U-20 situation shortly. silent
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Now - to the 2008 U-20 Women's World Cup that UPSF broached a couple posts ago: I have mixed emotions (not a cop-out).

1) I do very much agree with geezer that playing internationally both makes a player better, due to the higher caliber of competition, and more confident, due to playing in front of larger crowds in bigger stakes matches. We saw that first hand last season in the poise and calmness showed by Stephanie, and also the experienced, heads-up play of Sophie, rarely seen in a freshman in college.

2) The flip side of the coin: I really have to empathize with UPSF on this one. I understand that we are going to lose players such as Christine, Steph, and Sophie to national team commitments from time to time. But if Michelle, Elli, and Keelin decide to redshirt in order to prepare for and play in the women's U-20 world cup this fall, as well as possibly losing Sohie to the Canadian U-20, that would be 4 key starters taken away from us before the season even began. (Assuming all four make their final roster cuts and decide to play in the U-20 tournament rather than their full college seasons.)

By my count, if you take away the 4 players mentioned above, that would leave 11 returning players (including only two starters: Jessica Tsao and Kelsey Davis), and the 5 new 2008 freshmen that we know about. (Maybe Garrett will need to go out and find 4 or 5 other 2008 college transfers, J.C. transfers and/or high school seniors still available.) On my roster I see just 1 returning senior (medical redshirt Rachael Rapinoe), 5 returning juniors (including medical redshirts Megan Rapinoe and Korie Nicholson), and 5 returning sophomores (including medical redshirt Megan Sweeney).

That's 16 bodies (two of which are GK's, 14 field players). And I wouldn't bet the house on a player returning from an ACL tear. Rachael will have to prove she can play at the same level again. I'm even more worried about Megan, after her re-tearing the same ligament two years in a row. Yes, you can name players who have come back strong from that, but it is certainly no given.

I am getting tired of writing now. Till next time! Cool
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:10 pm

If you miss a year due to National Team or Olympic play, it doesn't count towards either your 4 year eligibility or your 5 year clock.

I had never heard this before. Did that mean Sincalir had another season of eligibility when she left? The website says she utilized her redshirt when she competed with the Canadaian national team.

[http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/wsoccer/rosters/displayPlayer.asp?PLAYER_ID=216

Or is this a more recent addition to the rules?
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Normally, an athlete has 5 years over which to engage in 4 years of D1 competition. There are certain exceptions for international competition, military service and religious service, as there are for injury and hardships, and they must be voted on by an NCAA committee.

Christine played for UP for four years 2001,2002,2004,2005.
She had no eligibility left after 2005

her National team commitments in 2003, when she didn't play for UP, made her eligible for an added year on her clock if she needed it, but as it turns out, she didn't need it.

Here's an excerpt from the D1 manual as it pertains to the 5 year clock and international competition (there are other provisions for injury, and for military and religious service):

14.2.1.4 Athletics Activities Waiver. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or a com-
mittee designated by it, shall have the authority to waive this provision <ie the 5 yr clock - Geez> by a two-thirds majority of
its members present and voting to permit student-athletes to participate in:
(a) Official Pan American, World Championships, World Cup, World University and Olympic train-
ing, tryouts and competition; (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/9/96)
(b) Officially recognized training and competition directly qualifying participants for final Olympic
tryouts; or
(c) Official tryouts and competition involving national teams sponsored by the appropriate national
governing bodies of the U.S. Olympic Committee (or, for student-athletes representing another
nation, the equivalent organization of that nation, or, for student-athletes competing in a non-
Olympic sport, the equivalent organization of that sport).
14.2.1.4.1 Athletics Activity Waiver Criteria. Extensions of the five-year period of eligibility
for student-athletes by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated
committee, shall be based on the following criteria: The member institution in which the stu-
dent-athlete is enrolled must establish to the satisfaction of the Committee on Student-Athlete
Reinstatement (by objective evidence) that the student-athlete was unable to participate in
intercollegiate athletics as a result of participation in one of the activities listed in the above
legislation for a specific period of time. Further, such an extension shall be limited to one time
and for a period not to exceed one year per student-athlete, per sport.
(Revised: 8/11/98 )

The addition to the clock requires a vote, as does addition to the clock due to an injury. I've never heard of the extension being denied due to Olympic or National team competition.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:17 pm

i agree with FANantics frustration of losing players to world cup committments. had sinc, angie, steph an megan not taking the world cup reshirts i could very easily have imagined the pilots winning at least 2 more college cups then they did.
on the other hand, i agree with geezer that having players compete on world cup teams adds to your ability to recruit top notch talent. and also raising the skillg an competition level of our own team.
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 pm

This topic got me thinking about the Spring game. Usually its been in April? We played Canada last year. Mexico the year before. Any idea who we might be playing this year?

We won't see the 2008 recruits yet but can our newly graduated seniors play?....Steph? Angie? Natalie? With national team commitments and other still rehabing....do you think we can even field a team this early? Might be tough.

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Phantom - I haven't heard yet who we are going to play in the annual Spring Game in April. Yes, graduating seniors do fill in for the Pilots, as the team is usually fairly depleted.

I think we could be really short-handed this year. So who knows, we may see other players from previous seasons this time around.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Agreed that it can be frustrating to be missing some of our best players for events like these, but I think Garrett understands and appreciates the value of international experience like that... when it comes down to it, being able to represent your country is pretty much the pinnacle for any sport, and it's such an awesome opportunity for all of those kids. And in the end, the program is about the student-athletes, not trying to always have the best chance at a championship. When the two of them coincide... well that's just fabulous! Smile
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Well put StoneMAN! I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for reminding me what's really important. Having a chance to play for your country would probably be the pinnacle of any student-athlete's career. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 am

According to a University of Florida fan on the BigSoccer blog, Florida is scheduled to come here for the first trip of the 2008 Fall season. Exclamation
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:58 am

WOW!

Nobody's backing off playing hard games early. If the four teams mentioned so far all make it the same weekend, I think I might need to have nurse Ratchet double up on my meds.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:34 pm

Great find, UPSoccerFanatic! Looks like we're starting the 2008 season with a BANG!!!
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 pm

It seems odd to me that Florida, UCLA, and USC all would be here the same weekend, since the Pilots only could play two of them. I wonder if the UCLA and rumored USC weekend would be the first home weekend of the season and Florida would be coming for the Nike Tournament later. Or, some other two-weekend combination thereof. Question Any ideas?
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:04 pm

You may be right. Of course, the Florida poster said it would be THEIR first road trip. That doesn't have to be the first weekend.
My guess? Gonzaga or PSU will be the fourth team. That's just because the team probably has to be from nearby, and not a PAC 10 school.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 pm

I'd hope for the Zags. They need to beef up their schedule, even at the risk of possibly losing some games.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:26 pm

Doubt it will be the Zags. Pilots' last seven games are always against their seven WCC opponents. Don't know if this is league-mandated or not. Believe I've seen other WCC schedules in the past, and I think they were also the same as the Pilots. Those last seven games are the most important games of the season, except for the tournament.
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:05 pm

I wasn't thinking that UP would play the Zags. The teams would form up similar to the way they do for UP's Nike Tournament where 2 schools come in from out of town and play 2 local teams. In the Nike Tournament, the second school always seems to be UW. They did something similar a couple years ago, and I think PSU played the same schools we did the first weekend last year.

The more I think about it, though, it doesn't make marketing sense to have all those teams the same weekend. That would mean that 2 of those teams would play the same day, on the same entry ticket. You could sell the place out with any one of those teams, Why not spread them out?

Because of the distance, Florida wouldn't come here unless we could give them 2 games. UCLA and USC might just come for 1 game, however. flights from LA fall into the "commuter" category. They may not want/need two dates. I guess it depends on what else they want to do that weekend. They may want to have a date at home that weekend, or they could schedule another date somewhere else and still have 2 rest days between dates.

USC may be coming the next weekend.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down