Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

uh-ohh

4 posters

Go down

uh-ohh Empty uh-ohh

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Here's one to keep an eye on--

Notre Dame Athletic Director Kevin White has taken the same position at Duke University, apparently to try and breath life into Duke's football program. (one wonders about his success at ND). Mike Krzyzewski has blessed the move. - White is a former coach K assistant.

Sports illustrated

and

Associated Press

Duke's Joe Alleva has gone to LSU, White goes to Duke, and, Notre Dame named Missy Conboy as interim AD. Notre Dame has set no timetable for a replacement, but you have to wonder if Larry Williams is in the mix.

a quote from the article:
Of Notre Dame's 11 athletic directors, only two were not graduates of the school.

It would be a great move for him, but yikes for us...

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Sat May 31, 2008 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

uh-ohh Empty already speculation on a replacement

Post by Geezaldinho Sat May 31, 2008 9:08 pm

The Chicago Tribune already has an article on possible replacements.

Chicago Tribune

Larry's not on the list, but I wonder how much the reporter knows how things work at the Mother Ship.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

uh-ohh Empty Re: uh-ohh

Post by PilotNut Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:13 am

Oh boy... One has to think that Larry would indeed be on the short list, coming from South Bend, and all.

Lets hope this ends up the same way as the Stanford/Reveno situation...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

uh-ohh Empty Re: uh-ohh

Post by thepuck Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:22 pm

I personally doubt that Larry is being seriously considered for a couple reasons. First of all, I think the fact that UP has no football team hurts him. Football being the most important sport in South Bend (more so now then ever with their lack of success the past year) especially to alums, makes me think that an AD with no real football experience would be a big minus. Secondly, while i like Larry and think that he's done a pretty good job, he hasn't done anything that would Wow the people at ND. Our basketball program is on its way up (in my opinion) but hasn't had any great success. Our football program is non existent (as mentioned above). Our soccer program is great, but it could be argued that it was great prior to his arrival. Finally, I think the hiring committee would dismiss a UP AD as not having enough big stage experience (and honesty, they'd probably be right). ND is one of the most high profile schools in the nation and probably would want a AD that has had experience with something that resembles that atmosphere.

my $.02
thepuck
thepuck
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-05-08

Back to top Go down

uh-ohh Empty Don't write him off

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:06 pm

I think Larry's still a serious contender. The idea that he doesn't know football is hogwash. He was one of the best tackles the school ever produced, and was a professional player for 8 years with four teams. a lot better credentials than their current head coach, who has never set foot on a field in uniform..

and the idea that he doesn't know the ins-and-outs of a big time program also doesn't hold water. As director of licensing at ND, he was one of the main players in Notre Dame's TV contract negotiations -- the biggest college TV contract "OF ALL TIME" ( homage to Mohammed Ali ). It at least partly through his efforts that ND can proceed with building THREE stadiums and a basketball arena at the same time. He also negotiated player contracts while he was in the NFL. His law degree would come in pretty handy at that position.

There are other folks in the mix with good credentials, but I'm sure they will take a look at Larry.
At any rate, if they asked him, I don't see how he could say no.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

uh-ohh Empty Hiring an AD

Post by wrv Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:32 pm

I am with the Geezer on this one. I do not think you dismiss the job Williams has done--it easily translates to a larger stage. Williams, simply put, has impressive credentials and handles himself quite well. UP athletics have performed at a relatively high level during his tenure.

I believe Joe Etzel was offered the AD job at UNLV---quite a step up from our little enclave. By that point in Joe's stay here, it probably just did not suit him to go to Vegas on a permanent basis. The culture change probably played a part as well.

I think the uh oh crowd is on to something whether Williams gets the job or not. Williams would hardly demure to such an offer.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum