Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Start of a new season, going to miss some players.

4 posters

Go down

Start of a new season, going to miss some players. Empty Start of a new season, going to miss some players.

Post by feelingpurple Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Tis the smell of fresh turf, the sweat dripping from the chin.
The thud of a well struck ball, goalie strecting in agony,
Ball knuckiling and dipping till it stretches the net.
Ya Thats what I talking About!

GOOD LUCK PILOTS, WORK HARD AND PREPARE!

feelingpurple
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-08-03

Back to top Go down

Start of a new season, going to miss some players. Empty Re: Start of a new season, going to miss some players.

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Pilots picked 4th in the WCC pre-season poll:

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/msoccer/release.asp?release_id=4421

Seems a bit low to me... I think they are probably at least No. 3. But I guess the number of votes separating San Diego at 3 (20) and Gonzaga at 6 (18) is indicitive of the fact that the WCC is up for grabs after Santa Clara and USF.

On a positive note, there is mention of Chris Sanders coming back, so that is definitely good news for the Pilot offense.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Start of a new season, going to miss some players. Empty Re: Start of a new season, going to miss some players.

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:07 pm

I think it would have been pretty hard for that poll to put UP higher, considering the last two seasons.

The hazing year was a fiasco, and the loss of of a couple good players who might have stayed otherwise hurt last year.

This year will depend on whether Sanders actually does come back, whether the offense matures enough to try something besides dump and run, and whether some of the recruits actually pan out.

The defense looks like it will still be pretty solid.
We could be higher with a couple breaks. Let's hope.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanco Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:26 pm

Looks like Sanders signed a contract with an Oberliga (3rd division) team in Germany. I'll try to get verification on that and the team name so we can follow him.

Not great news for the team..but sounds like it's what Chris really wanted..Good luck to him!

Blanco
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:10 am

Too bad for the Pilots, but great news for Chris. I think he had already graduated anyway, so I'm sure it's a better situation for him.

I wonder if that means Frankie Lopez is going to be getting plenty of minutes up front?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanco Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 pm

Stonehouse wrote:Too bad for the Pilots, but great news for Chris. I think he had already graduated anyway, so I'm sure it's a better situation for him.

I wonder if that means Frankie Lopez is going to be getting plenty of minutes up front?

Not sure there..I was thinking they "might" give FranKie a go at right mid...replacing Dallman...Frankie is not a big guy...and you usually want to pair up a big guy like Sanders who can be a target and hold the ball with a runner.

On another note...I hear Oaks is in Portland and considierng a return to The Bluff. The coaching staff is patitioning the NCAA to forgive Spring symester because of the attack that occured and his prolonged recovery time.

Jared Van Shake is another Freshman who might get pushed into action sooner than later and get minutes..I think he's coming in under the radar and is a quality player!

Blanco
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:50 am

Nice to hear about Oakes... I've actually seen him around town myself and was wondering if he was going to be playing or not. If he's fit, the team could definitely use him!

Hmmm... interesting to hear that Lopez might play out wide. It seems to me like he's a natural goal scorer, but maybe his skill set helps better on the side. So who would play with Elliott up front? Hossenmardi? Because he's not a big guy either.

Last edited by on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 am

http://www.portlandpilots.com/sports/msoccer/release.asp?release_id=4428

I guess this answers the question about Oaks... nice to hear he'll be back!!!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanco Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:51 am

Stonehouse wrote:Nice to hear about Oakes... I've actually seen him around town myself and was wondering if he was going to be playing or not. If he's fit, the team could definitely use him!

Hmmm... interesting to hear that Lopez might play out wide. It seems to me like he's a natural goal scorer, but maybe his skill set helps better on the side. So who would play with Elliott up front? Hossenmardi? Because he's not a big guy either.

I was really just thinking out loud on the Frankie on the outside idea..No idea what Big's or Barto might try...I remember a few times last year they tried Elliott outside on the right. Van Shake is a good left footed attacking mid...and about 6'1 or so...so maybe they try him upfront too??

Word is on VanShake is that he is a good play maker and passer...so they may not be able to afford to move him out of the middle.

As for Dallman and Sander...Dallman in negotiations with F.C. Shonberg and Sanders working on a work permit for F.C. Nurnberg both in the Oberliga but in different division (conferences). Hope things work out for both of them...That makes what...5 or 6 ex-pilots in the German professional ranks!

Blanco
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:33 pm

It's easy to forget about Ryan Luke as well. He was a big time scorer before getting injured last year... he could be in the mix up front as well, depending on how he has looked in the early going. One thing's for sure... they aren't afraid to play freshman if they earn it.

But I definitely agree with you that it would be nice to have a big, physical counterpunch to Elliott's speed and quickness up front.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down