Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Time Bonehead Plays

2 posters

Go down

All Time Bonehead Plays Empty All Time Bonehead Plays

Post by wrv Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:24 am

Perhaps it is a little late and even a little unfair, but the play, or should I say blunder, made by Santa Clara guard Brodey Angley at the end of regulation play in their game against the Zags has to go down in the historical annals(if those exist) of truly poor plays and poor judgment which cost a team a game.

I am sure those who saw the play recall that the Broncos, then up by 2, threw the ball in bounds by passing it well down court, where Stephen Grey of the Zags battled another Bronco guard for the ball, and made the steal with maybe a second left; with Grey's back turned away from the basket, which is again almost the full length of the court away, along comes Angley and fouls Grey with .3 seconds on the clock. Grey didn't have time for another dribble let alone enough time to turn and get off a shot, but Angley literally appears to tackle Grey in his zeal to get the ball away from him. Grey then marches to the line and promptly sinks two free throws. Zags win in OT.

Buckner, Webber come to mind but if you ignore the fact that more was at stake than in this regular season game, this is as bad as it gets. Often we are inspired by the competitors, their athletic feats are to repeat the cliche "grace under pressure," but occassionally the athletic arena reveals the the inane, abject side--a poigant moment for Angley and the Broncos, not soon to be forgotten. Hard to explain that one to your fans . . .

Last edited by on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

All Time Bonehead Plays Empty Re: All Time Bonehead Plays

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:04 pm

we've had our share.

I recall the 1997 game with UW in the Chiles center. Here's the release from UW:

PORTLAND, Ore. - Todd MacCulloch scored 21 of his 33 points in the second half, capped by the game-winning layup as time expired in Washington's 70-68 victory over Portland at the Chiles Center. The Huskies opened the season with four wins for the first time since the 1990-91 campaign. MacCulloch sank two free throws with 55 seconds left in the game to tie the score at 68-68. Portland's Chivo Anderson missed a shot and Washington rebounded with 0:02 on the clock. Chris Thompson inbouded a three-quarter pass into the key to MacCulloch who missed his first attempt before tipping back the game-winner at the buzzer.

evryone was in UW's end except for MacCulloch and two UP players

MacCulloch caught the ball at the top of the key with Sandrin and another player on each side of him (they should have fronted and backed him).

He turned and dribbled a couple times, took a shot and missed, then ran in and collected the rebound (he was hardly a speed merchant), dribbled once more, and put in a layup. it wasn't strictly speaking a tip-in.

What was bonehead about it? You can't do all that in 2 seconds. The UP timekeeper never started the clock until after the first shot hit the rim.

Besides, anybody ever hear of boxing a guy out?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:30 pm

Fortunatley for us we can blame it in part on the staff--not the players. I was, btw, at that game, and thought of it before writing my post. That hurt.But I did not remember the timekeepers mistake by not starting the clock. Of course, the clock didn't start until MacCullough caught the ball--wasn't it tossed the length of the court and Chivo or someone else had jumped to knock it away and missed, leaving MacCullough unguarded from inches away from the hoop and at all of 7'3" he missed the dang first one anyway. Did you ever see the actual timing of the play or could a Huskie reasonably argue that he got the second shot off within two seconds?

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 pm

wrv, I remember it clearly (oh, the pain of it). and here's the UW press release again.--

Chris Thompson inbouded a three-quarter pass into the key to MacCulloch

3/4 court is the top of the key. OK, maybe between the foul line and the top of the arc.

Now, I don't know if you remember Todd. He couldn't have run the length of the key in 2 seconds, much less done the rest... and I was watching the clock it didn't start until the ball hit the rim the first time. The guys in my section went crazy.

After the play, Chavez went after the ref, and I swear I could see him mouth "your timekeeper"

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down