Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm

5 posters

Go down

Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm Empty Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:21 pm

Traveled to Honolulu for the games there, and found the beach and nightlife to be much more enjoyable than the basketball.

I have seen Noah Jordan on campus, and although he may not be back in the lineup right away, there is some chance he will return to action later this month.

It was a late decision in November to redshirt Yuto because it was thought he'd get limited playing time behind Ali and V and Noah in the rotation, but with the suddenly short bench, Yuto Yamanouchi-Williams will now get into battle right away.

From my short observation, Yuto at 6-10/230 (second biggest guy on the team behind V), looks ready to start now as means of getting some better length, athleticism, and rebounding in the lineup.

Pretty easy for Pilot fans, including myself, to be discouraged about the upcoming WCC schedule based upon UP's 4-9 preseason that started out pretty well, but the team is now 0-0 entering play on Saturday night at 5pm against Pacific.

Never know whether to use KenPom or the NET when indicating how UP is doing compared to the rest of the D1 basketball world, but both are showing UP 8th in the WCC.

The NET:

39 San Francisco
52 Saint Mary's
57 Gonzaga
121 Santa Clara
186 LMU
207 San Diego
243 Pepperdine
278 Portland
356 Pacific

KenPom has UP at #263 and UOP at #343 (There are 362 teams in the rankings).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm Empty Re: Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm

Post by up7587 Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:39 pm

I imagine there is more than one WCC school on that NET list who is disappointed with their season so far. But that is a huge fall-off from last year for the Pilots.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm Empty Re: Pacific at UP - Saturday January 7 at 5pm

Post by brooke_PPFan@proton.me Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:26 am

We will beat Pacific. Should be a great chance to get Yuto some run and play all 12 guys!

Would be nice to be on the right side of a laugher!

brooke_PPFan@proton.me
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2023-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:06 pm

So much for Pacific being a laugher.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:20 am

Dean Murdoch wrote:So much for Pacific being a laugher.
What a disappointing finish for the Tigers...they were beating USF and let it slip away in OT.

(Very similar to UP's trend this season...the last 12 minutes have been the toughest).
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:47 am

UOP played 10 players against USF, and 9 of them are listed as a Guard including all five starters. They had a Center come off the bench for 12 minutes. 6'2" G Lesown Hallums Jr. scored 25 points on 9-11 shooting (3-4 from 3P) in 41 minutes of play. 6'1" G Moe Odum played 45 minutes and scored 19 points with 10 assists and got to the FT line for 9-11. 6'5" G Donovan Williams played 41 minutes and scored 15 points.

The Tigers got to the FT line frequently against USF; they had 37 attempts and made 24. So I am guessing they are small and fast. Hopefully the overtime effort against the Dons and the travel to UP leads to tired legs and allows the well-rested Pilots to take advantage. ESPN Analytics gives the Pilots a 87.9% chance of victory. I would not place any money on that.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:25 pm

Great debut game for Yuto. Glad the threes started falling in the second half otherwise I would've had that petition to switch the floor back up in a hurry.

Post-game radio with Coach Legans and Yuto: https://vocaroo.com/12MrX8LWtBB3
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

The Wingman and brooke_PPFan@proton.me like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brooke_PPFan@proton.me Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:21 am

Ha! That gosh darn floor! Smile

No Thomas. No Noah. No Ali. We need effort guys and we got what we wanted. Wasn't a perfect game by any stretch and we were helped by Pacific's poor 2nd half but I will take it!! I assume there is a reason that V and Thomas didn't play. Also saw Vince with a boot on his foot (redshirt but I hate seeing guys hurt). Watched St Marys v LMU... we can beat these guys!

Does seems like Tyler and Tyler are still disconnected. Can't put my finger on it but they don't look in sync.

Vuk!!! Just dunk the ball Smile... that backpass drove me nuts but the unselfishness I do love Smile

brooke_PPFan@proton.me
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2023-11-20

The Wingman and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:12 pm

Yes, the victory was over UOP, a team that has had very little success this season, but they were certainly athletic and well coached, IMO.

Last night it was all about the team's EFFORT...much better than it was during their recent tournament experience!!

True, it was rather curious that neither V nor Thomas played, and that could be for any number of reasons, but if I were to hazard a guess, it was because the 7-man rotation we saw last night were the same 7 guys who put in the most effort/work since the Christmas break.  

However, and regardless of one's effort, the ball still needs to go in the hoop to win, and the Pilots struggled more last night than they are going to be allowed to in the upcoming Bay Area games.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

The Wingman and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down