Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 Recruiting

+2
DoubleDipper
Adam
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2023 Recruiting - Page 2 Empty Re: 2023 Recruiting

Post by Adam Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I was at the Chiles Center yesterday to watch UP signees Lainey Spear and Rhyan Mogel play, and the star of the game was definitely #33 for Clackamas in its lopsided win.

#33 Jazzy Davidson is a just a sophomore, and apparently she has offers from teams such as Stanford, and the UP coaches seemed to suggest "no chance" when I said, "we need to get her".

I dont know the realities of the college recruiting landscape, but thats a shame its 'no chance'. Youd think with a steadily climbing NET, some almost wins against some top teams, and some actual wins against the likes of Gonzaga, theres gotta be some top line kids whos motivational trigger lies in the fairytale come true of being the kid to take a high achieving mid major into being a regular ncaa champs qualifier. Maybe its just not this kid's trigger though.

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2021-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:57 pm

Adam wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I was at the Chiles Center yesterday to watch UP signees Lainey Spear and Rhyan Mogel play, and the star of the game was definitely #33 for Clackamas in its lopsided win.

#33 Jazzy Davidson is a just a sophomore, and apparently she has offers from teams such as Stanford, and the UP coaches seemed to suggest "no chance" when I said, "we need to get her".

I dont know the realities of the college recruiting landscape, but thats a shame its 'no chance'. Youd think with a steadily climbing NET, some almost wins against some top teams, and some actual wins against the likes of Gonzaga, theres gotta be some top line kids whos motivational trigger lies in the fairytale come true of being the kid to take a high achieving mid major into being a regular ncaa champs qualifier. Maybe its just not this kid's trigger though.

For reference: https://news.scorebooklive.com/recruiting/2022/05/26/jazzy-davidson-2025-clackamas-basketball-star-named-nations-no-1-overall-prospect-by-espn

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2021-06-10

DoubleDipper and Adam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:56 pm

up7587 wrote:
Adam wrote:

For reference: https://news.scorebooklive.com/recruiting/2022/05/26/jazzy-davidson-2025-clackamas-basketball-star-named-nations-no-1-overall-prospect-by-espn

Oh wow, like literally #1 prospect! 😲

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:47 pm

At some risk, I am posting about that game because I too attended. Jazzy Davidson, #33, is something to watch and is clearly a star. Another impression though was that our recruit, Lainey Spear, last year's POY per the Oregonian, was utterly dominated by Jazzy Davidson on both ends of the court. I am not sure how many points Lainey had as I have not seen a box score, but it was not many--her attempts were rebuffed when guarded by the evenings star. I think it safe to assume Lainey will not be this year's POY.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1419
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Adam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterNoone Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:18 am

Jaz was the Gatorade player of year for Oregon as freshman and now announced as sophomore. I’ve watched every game she has played since the 5th grade. She is a generational talent. Lainey having a rough game against Jaz who she has matched up against 5 or 6 times over last couple of years between high school and club is not likely a fair account of Lainey’s ability who I have also watched since she was in the fifth grade. Lainey is a very physical, quality athlete with a solid basketball skill set. She is an elite level defender generally. Jaz going off on her doesn’t change that as Jazz averaged 17.9 ppg playing elite summer ball schedule (6.1 rbd, 2.8 assists, 2.3 steals, and 1.8 blocks, with her high school stats this year obviously higher 21.3 ppg) and had just offer from Arizona in 8th grade, and currently holds offers from Stanford, Oregon, Duke, NC, Louisville, etc and Uconn was in stands AGAIN watching Jaz at Wednesdays game. Point is, Lainey is a very good player who will continue to help the programs success.

MisterNoone
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-01-21

mikemac65, DoubleDipper, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:11 am

MisterNoone wrote:Jaz was the Gatorade player of year for Oregon as freshman and now announced as sophomore. I’ve watched every game she has played since the 5th grade. She is a generational talent. Lainey having a rough game against Jaz who she has matched up against 5 or 6 times over last couple of years between high school and club is not likely a fair account of Lainey’s ability who I have also watched since she was in the fifth grade. Lainey is a very physical, quality athlete with a solid basketball skill set. She is an elite level defender generally. Jaz going off on her doesn’t change that as Jazz averaged 17.9 ppg playing elite summer ball schedule (6.1 rbd, 2.8 assists, 2.3 steals, and 1.8 blocks, with her high school stats this year obviously higher 21.3 ppg) and had just offer from Arizona in 8th grade, and currently holds offers from Stanford, Oregon, Duke, NC, Louisville, etc and Uconn was in stands AGAIN watching Jaz at Wednesdays game. Point is, Lainey is a very good player who will continue to help the programs success.

Where to begin. . .

Perhaps you're aware that there was more than 1 POY last year. It is why my post indicates Lainey was POY per the Oregonian. I was in fact aware Ms. Davidson was per Gatorade.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2593786859801-beaverton-s-spear-is-state-player-of-the-year-tualatin-s-ogoli-first-team

https://news.scorebooklive.com/oregon/2022/05/05/all-state-basketball-2021-22-oregons-top-6a-girls-high-school-stars

Note the complimentary comments of her coach.

My post did not judge Lainey, it in fact accurately reported what happened, when Lainey essentially could not get off other than wild shots. Your post seems to have galvanized the hoi poloi, but I agree with you that we should not judge Lainey based on that performance, but I would add alone.

Late last year I went to see Lainey play when she was not then dogged by Ms. Davidson. I wrote on this very category and board then that:

"Lainey Spear was described by Coach Meek as working on her offensive game: it was somewhat evident as she was called for three travels while working in the post. She shot a number of threes, making two by my count, missing five. She is a hustler and a presence defensively and most definitely athletic. Even with her deserved accolades, she will be something of a project."

I hope Ms. Spear proves to be an excellent recruit and that she flourishes during her time here. Equally I hope Lainey's efforts on the boards will help address the rebounding issues we sometimes have.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

MisterNoone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:36 am

MisterNoone wrote:Point is, Lainey is a very good player who will continue to help the programs success.
Thank you for your insight, Mr. Noone, and welcome to PilotNation.  Very Happy
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11214
Registration date : 2011-11-03

StudentPilot and MisterNoone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am

Meanwhile...

UP's other American recruit, Rhyan Mogel, will play in the championship game today at 3:30 when her #5 Clackamas team goes up against #2 South Medford.

Rhyan scored 5 points in the Cavs win over defending champion Beaverton on Wednesday, and was then voted Player of the Game when she scored 14 points against #1 Jesuit yesterday.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:54 pm

Clackamas wins the OSAA 6A Championship and Rhyan Mogel goes off for 18 points and 5 rebounds in the final against South Medford.

Rhyan was once again the Player of the Game!

Jazzy Davidson gets in foul trouble and plays only 19 minutes but still scores 12 points with 3 rebounds.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:18 pm

A video with out-takes from the championship game showing Rhyan Mogel, and her team, in action. Rhyan is #2  for Clackamas.

https://news.scorebooklive.com/oregon/2023/03/12/watch-clackamas-claims-6a-girls-basketball-state-championship-with-56-46-win-over-south-medford-video-highlights

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Clackamas wins the OSAA 6A Championship and Rhyan Mogel goes off for 18 points and 5 rebounds in the final against South Medford.

Rhyan was once again the Player of the Game!

Jazzy Davidson gets in foul trouble and plays only 19 minutes but still scores 12 points with 3 rebounds.
Rhyan and Jazzy are selected to the All-Tournament First Team.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:42 pm

A fairly remarkable comment made about Rhyan Mogel by the Clackamas coach given who Rhyan's teammate is. As per the Oregonian story:

"The Cavaliers seemed in pole position to put things firmly out of reach. And then Davidson was whistled for her fourth foul — even after being moved off Hunter to preserve her.

The Panthers cut the lead to 10. Then eight. But never closer.

Mogel switched onto Hunter, and kept doing what she does best: conducting the Cavaliers’ offense. She kept things in hand until Davidson returned three minutes into the fourth quarter.

“To watch her have to step up when Jazzy was in foul trouble and guard Donovyn, she’s been our best player,” Clackamas coach Korey Landolt said. “We ask her to take care of the ball and to score for us. She just does it all. And it just shows the type of person and player she is. She puts in the work.” "

https://www.oregonlive.com/highschoolsports/2023/03/clackamas-battles-past-foul-trouble-wins-class-6a-girls-basketball-title-over-south-medford.html

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Fox Mulder and MisterNoone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterNoone Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:51 pm

I2023 Recruiting - Page 2 B08b3d102023 incoming freshman Rhyan Mogel with Clackamas High School wins Oregon Class 6A state championship earlier in month with semi final and finals player of game, 1st team all tournament, and playing with “Portland Generals” in scrimmage games against Team USA U18 National Team.

MisterNoone
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-01-21

wrv likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:40 pm

Article date: March 27, 2023.

"It was the second weekend of play in Victoria’s Big V basketball  . . ."

"In the top division, Dyani Ananiev had a 31 point game as she gets in more minutes before she is scheduled to start her college career at Portland."

https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/03/27/overseas-league-updates-march-27th/

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Rob's Jacket, Geezaldinho, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:13 pm

31 points on 9 from 16 3s.

Full game video...

https://youtu.be/4tFpWqpbuP4

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rob's Jacket, Geezaldinho and wrv like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:10 pm

With graduations, portal entries, and inbound players, this offseason is seeing quite a transformation in the women's roster.

Known Inbounds:
Freshman Dyani Ananiev - 6-1 wing Victoria, Australia
Freshman Rhyan Mogel - 5-10 guard Happy Valley, Oregon
Freshman Lainey Spear - 6-2 forward Portland, Oregon
Sophomore Natalie Fraley - 6-0 point guard, Kelso, Washington/Utah St. University

Known Outbounds
Keeley Frawley
Haylee Andrews
Emma Strelein**
Alex Fowler
Chance Butcher
Emily Sewell
M.J. Bruno
Liana Kaitu'u
Kelsey Lenzie
Maddi Condron
** in the portal but apparently with the option to remain at UP

Returning Players (as of today):
McKelle Meek
Flo Dallow*
Melika Samia
Emmie Shearer
Maisie Burnam
Lucy Cochrane
* Did not play last season

Scholarships:
There are 15 scholarships allowed, and depending upon whether Strelein returns and Meek continues to be a walk-on, there are between 4 and 6 scholarships available.

There may also be one or more coaching changes/additions.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:00 pm

Surprised at the extent of the withdrawals--outbound players: Emma Strelein, Emily Sewel, MJ Bruno in particular, and Maddie Condron. Quite a deficit to address so late in the recruiting calendar.

Welcome Natalie Fraley.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:17 pm

wrv wrote:Quite a deficit to address so late in the recruiting calendar.
I believe that at this point it's all about the portal.

The portal is open for players to submit their names March 13 - May 11, but they do not have to commit to a school until school starts...

Once a player is in the portal, the original school is not obligated to honor their previous scholarship, so at this point for the women, it's about coaching changes and contacts they've may have initiated with other schools before going into the portal.

Yes, I know, some schools are likely "tampering" by contacting student-athletes and suggesting they go in the portal.

For the men, it's all about $$$$$$$.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:40 pm

If one is a fan of the women's team, the information, as well obviously as the circumstance, is breathtaking.

I wish each and every one of these young ladies well. I am conflicted to the extent that I also wish continued success for the team.

Obviously unstated is whether the players are seeking more playing time not offered here. Along those lines it is noteworthy that no underclass starters are leaving. Or whether the staff felt they were not up to par to continue with their scholarships. I am not aware whether scholarships are cancelled once given in our D1 basketball programs.

More details regarding incoming players to follow soon enough, I assume.

I  hope the portal has some front line players skilled at rebounding who will consider Portland.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:46 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

There may also be one or more coaching changes/additions.

In January the ncaa allowed 2 more coaches in Basketball.

There is a possibility of an additional per team in soccer as well.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11800
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Known Outbounds
Emma Strelein**

** in the portal but apparently with the option to remain at UP
I am told Emma has decided to withdraw her name from the portal and will remain at UP.  Cool
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket, wrv, Adam, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:56 am

Highly regarded forward, Kennedy Dickie, from Kelowna, British Columbia,
visited UP this weekend.

Listed at 6-0, she plays much bigger than that.

Kennedy played two seasons at EWU before transferring to USF where she played two more seasons.

This past season at USF she,
Played in all 32 games and made 30 starts
Named to the All-WCC Second Team for the second time
Totaled nine double-doubles
Recorded a career-high 19 rebounds against Penn
Scored a season-high 22 points at Saint Mary's
First on the team with 18 blocks and ranked third in steals with 28
Averaged 9.8 PPG, 7.8 rebounds per game while shooting 37%

I am told she is also being recruited by WSU and UW.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Rob's Jacket, Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:12 pm

Keeley Frawley
Keeley is apparently heading to Santa Clara for her final year.

Talking to a few folks, I have learned that SCU and USF are totally kicking UP's rear when it comes to NIL money for both MBB and WBB...as are LMU and PU, but to a lesser extent.

I am told the SCU supporters have deep pockets, and that SCU is now on par with GU for $$$.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:30 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Keeley Frawley
Keeley is apparently heading to Santa Clara for her final year.

Talking to a few folks, I have learned that SCU and USF are totally kicking UP's rear when it comes to NIL money for both MBB and WBB...as are LMU and PU, but to a lesser extent.

I am told the SCU supporters have deep pockets, and that SCU is now on par with GU for $$$.

Poignant.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:38 pm

I am of the understanding that internationals on student visas cannot get NIL deals as it considered working. Only potential loophole perhaps would be signing NIL while in home country and being paid it in a way where they pay income tax on it in their home country.

Adam
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next