Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments

5 posters

Go down

Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments Empty Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments

Post by Stonehouse Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:05 am

Start making plans for Thanksgiving 2022!

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegebasketball/2022/02/gonzaga-duke-uconn-women-among-24-teams-playing-in-the-phil-knight-basketball-tournaments-thanksgiving-weekend.html

We'll be playing three games amongst this group: Iowa State, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oregon, Portland, Alabama, Connecticut, and Villanova.

The other tournament features Duke, Florida, Gonzaga, Oregon State, Portland State, Purdue, West Virginia, and Xavier.

This year's event also includes two multi-team women's tournament, but unfortunately we won't be playing in those: Iowa State, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Oregon; and Duke, Iowa, Connecticut, and Oregon State.

Another fun wrinkle... the Chiles Center has been added as a location along with the Moda Center and Memorial Coliseum.

Information for tournament and single-game tickets will be announced this spring or early summer. Organizers plan to release Legacy and Invitational schedules this summer.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

DoubleDipper, Dean Murdoch, ExpatPilot, Fox Mulder and up7587 like this post

Back to top Go down

Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments Empty Re: Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:01 pm

Whoa! This sounds incredible. As a Pilots fan, I love that the Chiles Center is part of this. But from a purely objective standpoint... Wouldn't PSU's arena be a better third venue? Not only is it shiny and new, it's also less than half the distance to the Rose Quarter.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments Empty Re: Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments

Post by Dean Murdoch Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:24 pm

5000 capacity at Chiles vs. only 3000 at PSU, perhaps?
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1787
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by up7587 Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:33 pm

Dean Murdoch wrote:5000 capacity at Chiles vs. only 3000 at PSU, perhaps?

Much better parking, too. Lots should be empty for Thanksgiving.

up7587
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2021-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:58 pm

I'm excited that we get a second chance in this tournament with hopefully a much improved team that will take the floor! If I recall last time, Portland State ended up surprising the viewers.

Hosting is even better! But, I doubt we will be hosting premier match ups -- maybe just consolation games for the men's and women's brackets. I do hope that we are able to make some improvements wherever possible to Chiles if we will be hosting such top teams with their fans and cameras in tow.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:59 pm

I hope they give the women's and men's games equal footing by scheduling some of both at the Rose Quarter, rather than sending the entire women's tournament 5 miles away to the Chiles Center. It would be pretty cool to see the Michigan State vs. Villanova men (for example) play each other on campus at UP.

Speaking of gender equity, they should have scheduled 16 women's teams, too. And included UP and PSU.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down