Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 Recruiting

5 posters

Go down

2022 Recruiting Empty 2022 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:14 am

I recently learned that McKelle Meek is a walk-on and is not counting against the NCAA allowed 15 scholarships for WBB.

So, Maddie Mulheim will be leaving the team at the end of the season, and even if redshirt junior Rose Pflug and senior Haylee Andrews remain on the team for their extra "COVID year" after they graduate this coming May, there will still be two open scholarships available in 2022 if Coach Meek decides to use them.

Because UP is now considered a prime destination for many players from “Down Under,” it would not surprise me if the Pilots were to sign a player or two during the early signing period that begins in six weeks.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11139
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

2022 Recruiting Empty Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:38 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Because UP is now considered a prime destination for many players from “Down Under,” it would not surprise me if the Pilots were to sign a player or two during the early signing period that begins in six weeks.
Well, Down Under and a little to the southeast, perhaps...

Okay, after some digging, it appears 6-1 wing Florence (Flo) Dallow from Auckland, New Zealand has committed to UP.  Tall, but not big, Dallow relies on her athleticism to make big plays on the court.

Dallow played on many of the same teams in New Zealand as UP sophomore Emme Shearer did, and Dallow has represented her school, province, and country in swimming, track, netball, touch rugby, and of course basketball…so she is an athlete.

2022 Recruiting Dallow10

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Dallow, not Darrow...I usually love autocorrect, but not always.)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am

2022 Recruiting Flo_da10
Harbour Basketball wrote:“I had emailed Portland earlier in the year but it wasn’t until they rang me after the Steven Adams Camp that they contacted me.”

Flo had offers from a couple of other universities including the University of California Riverside but after a number of positive chats with University of Portland Head Coach Michael Meek she was happy to commit to the 2020 West Coast Conference champions.

“Over the past two months I’ve had a mixture of Zoom calls and phone chats with Michael which has been really good.”

Committing to Portland was also made easier knowing that another former Harbour rep Emme Shearer is playing for the Pilots and will be in her third year when Flo commences her freshman year in 2022.

“Emme already being at Portland really helped a lot with my decision. She emphasised how good the coaches were, how the team has a good culture and how positive the environment is which all made me more intrigued with the school.”

"Flo Dallow commits to Portland University..."
https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-2857-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=72338911
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

StudentPilot and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Skilled!!

She put up some big numbers this summer, I just hope she will be strong enough and fast enough to go up against the bigger players coming into the WCC...although, if she can pass and shoot like she shows in her tape, she could make an impact on an already loaded roster.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:57 pm

StudentPilot wrote: I just hope she will be strong enough and fast enough to go up against the bigger players coming into the WCC...
You want someone who looks like she can already bang with the more mature and physical players in the WCC, look no further than 5-9 guard Malika Samia.

Mentioned as a UP commit in the article about Dallow, I’ve found only one other mention of her commitment elsewhere, but nothing on social media.

Bigger but not taller than Dallow, she is currently living away from her home with a family in Tauranga, New Zealand so she can work on her basketball with better coaching in a more competitive environment.

Named to the 2020 Junior Tall Ferns as a high school junior, this past summer she played in the Aon U17 National Championships and averaged 23 points per game.

2022 Recruiting Melika10

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dallow, not Darrow!)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:03 pm

I really hope it is true Malika is coming to UP, I like her game...

This tape breaks down her shooting, passing, and something we don't often see in a highlight tape, her defense!!

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Nice. So many skilled players. Playing time may well be an issue . . .a pleasant problem in a sense t o have.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:17 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:You want someone who looks like she can already bang with the more mature and physical players in the WCC, look no further than 5-9 guard Malika Samia.
Oh wow, you are correct DD, Samia looks like she is ready to play the physical game now.

You just never know how high school kids are going to progress once they reach college, especially at the D1 level, but Coach Meek has been pretty good at spotting talent so far.
wrv wrote:Nice. So many skilled players. Playing time may well be an issue . . .a pleasant problem in a sense t o have.
Yes, playing time could be an issue, but injuries and redshirting can make the bench shorter than anticipated.

Just last week I saw three of the Pilots in limping around on crutches, scooters, and walking boots.  Not a good start!
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:35 am

StudentPilot wrote:

Just last week I saw three of the Pilots in limping around on crutches, scooters, and walking boots.  Not a good start!

Three more were on the court tonight sporting ankle wraps. It will take a while to get into full form.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:49 pm

Bol Dengdit signed with MBB during the early signing period that began today...will New Zealanders Melika Samia and Flo Dallow do the same with WBB in the coming days?? Question
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:42 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Bol Dengdit signed with MBB during the early signing period that began today...will New Zealanders Melika Samia and Flo Dallow do the same with WBB in the coming days?? Question
Well, at least one of them has signed!

2022 Recruiting Flo_da10

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/11/12/womens-basketball-adds-florence-dallow-to-2022-class.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Adam and Fox Mulder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:28 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Well, at least one of them has signed!
As much as we might be excited about Dallow joining the team, and I am because she is very skilled and athletic, I was really looking forward to the physical game that Samia looked capable of bringing to The Bluff also.

She didn't sign with UP??
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 am

StudentPilot wrote:She didn't sign with UP??
We have to remember that Malika Samia is geographically separated from her family so as to take advantage of better basketball development opportunities, and it is quite possible that she waited until the weekend to travel home to be with her family before formally signing her NLI.

From what little I have read about Samia, it looks like she is coming to UP, and I think she will sign this fall because I believe she graduates from high school next month before the beginning of summer in New Zealand.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

StudentPilot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:30 pm

So, there is still hope!!

Thanks, DD.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:31 pm

StudentPilot wrote:So, there is still hope!!
Still waiting... Laughing

But while we wait for news on Malika, I noticed their was a recruit and her mother watching last night's game from the stands opposite the bench.  

I did see MJ giving her a hug after the game, so she might be one of her former high school teammates.  I don't know the recruiting rules, so I didn't try to talk to her. study
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am

StudentPilot wrote:Still waiting... Laughing
The waiting is over, Melika Samia signed with the Pilots...

2022 Recruiting Malika11

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2021/11/15/pilots-add-melika-samia-to-round-out-early-signing-period.aspx[/quote]
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

mikemac65 and StudentPilot like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:25 pm

I think that puts us one player shy of a haka.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11794
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegemite Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:25 pm

So after watching the full season, I think next year is the year this squad can really make a run while Hayley, Alex & Lucy are together. For that two things have to happen.

Fix the shortcomings in the backcourt with a transfer or two, ideally a pass first PG with genuine leg speed.
Change up the style of play and limit rotations. This is not a deep squad and there are way too many rotations that suck momentum from the games (many times they had the game in control only to get behind through bad subbing) Too many minutes given to players who aren’t at the level needed to compete at a high level in Div 1.

Vegemite
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2021-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:03 pm

The confident and personable Melika Samia recently appeared on a podcast, and related her goals on coming to Portland, which include starting as a freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXq6MUqXZQ

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1403
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down