Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hugh Hogland Transfers

5 posters

Go down

Hugh Hogland Transfers Empty Hugh Hogland Transfers

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:36 pm

With no classes to keep him busy and no playing time for awhile, Hugh Hogland has decided to add his name to the mid-season transfer portal according to one of his teammates.

Hugh's going to be missed by his teammates, and his departure will leave the team a little short handed, but I can certainly understand his decision.  Wherever he goes, Hugh won't be eligible until the second semester next season...unless he goes to a D2 school, in which case he can begin playing immediately.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11217
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Hugh Hogland Transfers Empty Re: Hugh Hogland Transfers

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:51 pm

I was looking at the roster today, and thinking if all the big men come back, and Collinsworth is a player, it will be a crowded roster.
Diabate         Senior
Hogland        RS Junior
Akwuba        Junior
Tryon           Senior
Collinsworth RS Freshman

I wonder if his time away for Japanese National Team time hurt him at UP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:15 pm

He has confirmed it on his Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6_iHaDBv01/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:47 pm

up7587 wrote:I was looking at the roster today, and thinking if all the big men come back, and Collinsworth is a player, it will be a crowded roster.
Diabate         Senior
Hogland        RS Junior
Akwuba        Junior
Tryon           Senior
Collinsworth RS Freshman

I wonder if his time away for Japanese National Team time hurt him at UP.
Collinsworth has burned his redshirt year by playing 15 minutes in two games, and unless he's injured and doesn't play again this season because of his injury (I think he's gone 6 or 7 games without suiting-up), he can then take an injury redshirt.  Regardless, he's probably not the Pilot's post of the future without a lot of improvement in his game.

I think Hugh was probably helped more than hurt by his time with the JNT because he played against very good competition and got in more training than he would have in Portland.

One other scholarship big still on the roster is Josh Phillips, who wanted to take a redshirt year this season, and whose future with the team has got be somewhat uncertain.  

Phillips, Collinsworth and walk-on Watson are currently a great help as "practice players."  Hogland was a potential starter, but lost his spot in the rotation (11 minutes per game) after Akwuba returned to the lineup.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 am

Hugh Hogland wrote:After many talks with my family and people who I trust, I have decided to put my name in the transfer portal and asses my options going forward. I would like to thank the University of Portland for the opportunity to play division one basketball…
Interesting that Hugh thanked UP for the opportunity to play D1 basketball.  Could that mean he’s considering moving down to D2 or even moving back to Oahu and enrolling at D2 Chaminade or D2 BYU Hawaii or D2 Hawaii Pacific...and begin playing immediately?

IMO, Hugh Hogland could have a great impact on D2 basketball and get the necessary minutes to once again be invited to the Japanese National Team. It appeared that he was not going to get much playing time at UP unless someone went down with an injury or transferred.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:23 pm

I'm disappointed to see Hugh go. When Akwuba was getting ready to return to action I made a post in which I made a case for Akwuba to redshirt this season. Part of my rationale was that there would not be enough minutes to go around among Akwuba, Diabate, Tryon and Hogland. It looks like the result is Hogland deciding to leave the program. I'm not convinced that Hogland is fourth-best among those four, as an all-around player, and I'm sorry that we won't get to see him develop into his full potential as a Pilot.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:55 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
Hugh Hogland wrote:After many talks with my family and people who I trust, I have decided to put my name in the transfer portal and asses my options going forward. I would like to thank the University of Portland for the opportunity to play division one basketball…
Interesting that Hugh thanked UP for the opportunity to play D1 basketball.  Could that mean he’s considering moving down to D2 or even moving back to Oahu and enrolling at D2 Chaminade or D2 BYU Hawaii or D2 Hawaii Pacific...and begin playing immediately?

IMO, Hugh Hogland could have a great impact on D2 basketball and get the necessary minutes to once again be invited to the Japanese National Team.  It appeared that he was not going to get much playing time at UP unless someone went down with an injury or transferred.

BYU-Hawaii stopped athletics altogether a few years ago so that's not a thing.

He could go the way of another Japanese player, Kai Toews who quit UNCW's team a few weeks ago to try for a pro career in Japan.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/12/24/basketball/uncws-kai-toews-leaves-school-pursue-pro-career-japan/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 am

Talked to a few of Hugh's former teammates last evening, and they too were pretty much in the dark as to why Hugh left UP.

The general consensus was he didn't really want to leave, but his father convinced him he could better further his career as a pro if he went elsewhere...
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 am

Hugh Hogland wrote:3/02/2020: Got back on my feet and signed with UC Davis. Could not feel more blessed at this moment! Thank you to everyone who made this moment possible. Big shoutout to my future coaches and teammates for making me feel at home on my visit! #aggiesbasketball let’s get to work!
Seems he wasted some court and workout time, but Hugh has now signed with UC Davis.  I’m not sure if graduates in May (it would be a year early), but if he does he’d be eligible immediately as a grad-transfer.

Hugh commented, "Wish I had done this three years ago!"

Can't really blame him...a fresh start under a new staff at a new school has got to be exciting.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am

How many pros come out of UCD?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:29 am

DoubleDipper wrote: I’m not sure if he graduates in May (it would be a year early), but if he does he’d be eligible immediately as a grad-transfer.
By taking summer classes and a few online courses, Hugh will graduate from UP a year early on May 3rd and head to graduate school at UC Davis.

He'll be immediately eligible and have two years of eligibility remaining.

Not sure if UC Davis is on our schedule during the next two seasons. Regardless, it will be interesting to see Hugh's development under a different coaching staff as he works toward his goal of playing professionally in Japan.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 am

The Aggies only had one center on their roster, and he was a senior, so Hugh should get lots of PT.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Hugh opens up to the Beacon on why he left UP...
Beacon/Hugh wrote:“I haven’t been happy here,” Hogland said. “I love the school. I love the people. But the program here was kind of bogging down my mental health — just me mentally. So, you know, I just decided that wasn’t the best track for me.”

Besides playing time and his overall mental health, Hogland cited a lack of connection with head coach Terry Porter as another reason for leaving the team.

“TP (Terry Porter) is a smart guy,” Hogland said of his former coach. “He really knows the game of basketball. He’s really passionate about it. Me and him just didn’t gel, whatsoever. I mean, I’ve been saying that TP’s the coach for me. I’ve always wanted to play for him. But that was just because I was on the team. But, nothing against him. I don’t regret the last two and a half years.”
https://www.upbeacon.com/article/2020/04/portland-pilots-mens-basketball-uc-davis-terry-porter
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:18 pm

"It's not you, it's me."

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Hugh hustled and was a great kid but was a very inefficient basketball player. Outside of dunking, there really wasn't much there. He didn't have touch, hit 58% from the line, was a subpar passer, very low block rate for his size and was a turnover machine.

Porter made the right call keeping him off the court, especially with 3 more efficient players ahead of him in Diabate, Akwuba and Tryon.

I think we're in much better shape moving forward without him, even if TP isn't able to find another "Big" in the transfer bucket.
Kevin
Kevin
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2020-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by GoPilots19 Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:54 pm

I feel like Hugh had some really promising moments off the bench last year (18-19), but I felt like his impact decreased significantly whenever they tried to extend his minutes. I did feel bad for him this year when his minutes decreased but he definitely was given some opportunities

GoPilots19
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2020-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:30 am

Watanabe Begins Pro Career with Golden Kings

Hugh Hogland, known as Hugh Watanabe in Japan, has signed with the Ryukyu Golden Kings on the island of Okinawa and will begin playing this fall.

“Okinawa! First, let me say how excited I am to be a part of this team for the 2021-2022 season,” Watanabe said in a statement this week. “I’m looking forward to playing basketball, ‘island style,’ in front of all of you. Being from Hawaii, it feels like I already have a connection to Okinawa. Please lend us your support and we will fight to win the whole thing.”

Hugh redshirted one year on The Bluff before playing two years and then grad-transferring to UC-Davis this past season where he played only a couple of games before he went down with an injury.

I was looking forward to seeing Hugh play against the Pilots this coming season in California…oh well! Rolling Eyes
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Fox Mulder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:41 am

Waimanalo will be represented in the Tokyo Olympics.

Hugh Hogland, a 2017 Iolani School graduate, has been named one of 12 players for Japan’s national basketball team. Hogland is a 6-foot-10 stretch four.

Hogland, whose mother is of Japanese ancestry, holds dual citizenship in the United States and Japan.

Of Hogland’s inclusion on Japan’s national team, “it’s a huge deal,” said Bob Nash, a former University of Hawaii player and head coach who spent several years coaching in Japan’s pro league. “The quality of basketball in Japan at their national level has risen significantly in the past few years with the emergence of the kid who plays with the (Toronto) Raptors, (Yuta) Watanabe, and (Rui) Hachimura, who plays with the (Washington) Wizards. … There are some really good basketball players in Japan.”

Hogland comes from an athletic family. His grandfather, Doug Hogland, was an offensive linemen for six NFL seasons with the San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Cardinals. His father, Matthew Hogland, played baseball at Southern Oregon. His younger brother, Cole Hogland, is a middle blocker for the UH men’s volleyball team.

Hugh Hogland also was volleyball standout in high school and on the national circuit. He was a member of USA Volleyball’s youth and junior national programs.

After being named the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s Player of the Year for the 2016-17 basketball season, Hogland focused exclusively on hoops.

He played for three seasons at Portland under Terry Porter, a former NBA guard.

After earning a bachelor’s degree in finance, he transferred to UC Davis, where he enrolled in the MBA program.

Hogland has been on Japan’s basketball radar for several years as a collegiate, pro or national team prospect.

Hogland is a member of the Ryukyu Golden Kings of the B League, Japan’s top professional tier. He has trained with Japan’s national team.

“He has a real good skill set,” Nash said. “He’ll be an asset to the Japanese team.”

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/07/06/sports/ex-iolani-star-hugh-hogland-on-japans-olympic-basketball-team/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down