Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm

+3
Dean Murdoch
MesaPilot1
DoubleDipper
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm  Empty Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Seems strange to see the Pilots favored in a game against a D1 opponent, but they are!

After Cal St. Northridge's close loss at home to a good New Mexico team (#127), but then losing to #107 LMU at Gersten Pavilion by 15, the Matadors are #334 going against the #231 Pilots.

KenPom is favoring UP by 5 points, but most of the prognosticators are predicting it will be closer to a 2-point victory for the Pilots who have only 9 scholarship players available as of last evening.

I asked TP who the first non-scholarship player would be off the bench in case it comes to that, and his reply was it would be "Xavier, if he was available."  But as he's not eligible until December 15th against Grambling, it will probably be Brian Smith followed by Miles Turner, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

As Jacob is not expected to play, it will be another excellent opportunity get some much needed development for D, Hugh, and Theo.  Winning may not be as important as developing the team at this point in the season, but a road win now would go a long way toward boosting the confidence of the players, coaches and fans!!!

You can find the links to radio, streaming, and stats here: https://portlandpilots.com/index.aspx

(All listed rankings are from KenPom.com)
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11391
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm  Empty Re: Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Glad to see the game will be streamed on BigWest.tv at 6pm for west coast folks.
Go Pilots!

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm  Empty Re: Pilots @ Cal State Northridge @ 6pm

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:58 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion there are not 333 D1 teams in the country that are better than Cal State Northridge. Should be a battle.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Noted Jim Harrick (former Pepp and UCLA) is a CSUN asst coach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Pilots on a scoring drought, four minutes so far.  Getting beat on the boards, and shooting poorly.

Finally scored after a 5:20 stretch, giving up 9 straight. Trail by 9.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:52 pm

If anyone saw anything positive in the first, please let me know.  Embarassed
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Not a good half, poor shooting. Looked to me like Pilots standing around, not really interested in the game.

I don't know if I can bear another half like this...Coach Porter halftime interview..at least he's excited and interested, luv that about him.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Shaver had two nifty steals,lol

and two fouls Embarassed

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Malcolm made both FTs. That's it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Think I'll switch to football.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobtcat2 Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Not encouraging to put up this clunker against a very (VERY, VERY) bad CS Northridge team. Killed on the boards. Not sure what the hell is going on, but pretty embarrassing.

bobtcat2
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2017-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Not a bad idea, one can only torture oneself so long....maybe the Pilots will have a run...but..I doubt it.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:22 pm

At last the pace is picking up, now they need a run to get it below 7 points,,,

Down to 6 points with 9 minutes to go Smile

TIED UP WITH 529 to go

dThe Pilots need to win this...

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 pm

MesaPilot1 wrote:Not a bad idea, one can only torture oneself so long....maybe the Pilots will have a run...but..I doubt it.
New game. Guess I'll watch the football on delay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I turned it off at halftime.

Now I don't dare turn it back on. What the hell is happening??
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Pilots Win!!!!!!!

By 3 I think

Yesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Best half of basketball in a long time, following one of the worst?

Back to top Go down

Post by ExpatPilot Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Wow! We won 80-77. I guess that Vegas line of 2.5 was appropriate.

Whatever was said in the locker room at halftime worked.

I legitimately feel bad for that freshman Matador who only had to sink two free throws to (likely) force overtime because we have been on the wrong end of missed free throws ourselves.

Great effort and maturity to come back like that as a young team.

ExpatPilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Referring back to the gambling discussion on the N. Tex thread, look at those two halves, and figure out what the Pilots are going to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Wowza! Great comeback!
Glad to see Diabate getting back on track. Hogland is looking more and more confident. And Walker's three-point shooting has come out of nowhere.
Especially impressive that we pulled that one out with very little contribution from McSwiggan. I hope that win gives some confidence and momentum for the week ahead.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:Wowza! Great comeback!  I hope that win gives some confidence and momentum for the week ahead.
The week ahead will be a tough one!

Grueling game tonight, back on campus around 4am Sunday morning if the flight isn't delayed/cancelled, walk-through and tape review tomorrow evening, games on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.  

Originally the team was not playing on Monday but was headed to Anchorage for the Great Alaska Shootout, but just when UP is invited, the tournament is cancelled... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm

SouthCarolinaPilot wrote:Whatever was said in the locker room at halftime worked.
I've had the opportunity to talk to two individuals who were in the locker room....both said they'd never seen TP so genuinely pissed-off and had never seen him lay into the team so forcefully for their soft, uninspired play.

I think most of us who watched the first half would have done much the same!!  It was probably the worst half of Pilot basketball I can remember seeing...ever.  I've seen us behind by larger margins, but never play so badly as they did tonight.

I laid much of the blame on the coaching staff because I know the guys are better as a team then they displayed, and when your team is called for three moving screens in a half, you have to figure they are not being taught how to correctly set a screen.  So as pissed-off as TP may have been, he was probably just as pissed-off at his own performance in preparing the team....

I stuck around and watched the second half with no expectations...it's a lot easier that way, but I think I closed my eyes on that last play that ended with Hugh throwing the ball to the other end of the court...it was too good to be true! Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Don't forget the two lane violations....

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Based on the clunker 3P shot attempts I saw in the first half, including an airball, I have no idea how they made 7-7 in the 2nd half.

I disagree a bit on the coaching comment. Players can be taught all the right things to do, but if they are too stubborn/lazy/lackadaisical to execute properly, not much a coach can do. Except shock them out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:22 pm

dholcombe wrote:Don't forget the two lane violations....
Yeah, was that weird, or what?

We can usually go an entire season without a lane violation...I think they were just good indicators of how badly the team was playing in the first half.

Last edited by DoubleDipper on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next