Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Wally Awards

+3
PilotNut
DoubleDipper
Stonehouse
7 posters

Go down

Wally gate - 2018 Wally Awards Empty 2018 Wally Awards

Post by Stonehouse Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Yeesh... this article is going around on social media today: http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/wally-awards-critique

If what is being reported here is true (and I have no reason to believe it's not), it sounds like staff should have been a lot quicker with the hook to pull the MC off the stage.

Edited to add - The Oregonian picked it up as well: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/04/violent_misogynistic_speech_ta.html
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Wally gate - 2018 Wally Awards Empty Re: 2018 Wally Awards

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm

As many know, the UP Wally Awards is usually a wonderful end-of-year banquet saluting UP's athletes, but last night it was the epitome of bad taste, abhorrent behavior, and disappointment.

But it was also a night of heroes as a number of UP staffers brought the boorish behavior to an end.

Yes, Stonehouse, everything in the article is true!

Guys, we're better than this, aren't we?
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11236
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes, the Wally's has always been a great time, and I was lucky enough to help out with a few videos for it over the years.

But dang... I am really sad to hear about last night. I definitely feel for all the organizers, because I'm sure they were totally stunned by what happened and were trying to figure out what to do. I'm sure they will take steps to make sure something like that doesn't ever happen again.

DoubleDipper wrote:Guys, we're better than this, aren't we?

We are indeed.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:43 pm

TV stations now wanting to interview UP hierarchy.

Hate to see my university or its students portrayed in a bad light, but as this may be the wake-up called that is needed, perhaps the negative publicity will actually be for the better...in the long run.

Perhaps... Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 pm

What a disgusting speech... how could anyone think that was appropriate?

I'm glad some in attendance made efforts to end the speech... it is not acceptable at any place or time, and it sounds like it should have been ended sooner.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:59 pm

The MC has been removed from the men's tennis roster: http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/poorman-wally-state

Here is an apology from him: ""I would like to address what happened at the Wally’s last night. I want to apologize for taking away from the focus of the night. The night is meant to celebrate the excellence of student athletes and I would like to apologize if I made any people uncomfortable."

I wish it would have been a bit more heartfelt than "I'm sorry if you got offended by what I said." Would have been good if he had recognized that what he did was way out of line, and shown some real contrition.

Included in this article is a response from Fr. Mark that was sent to the whole campus.

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I wish it would have been a bit more heartfelt than "I'm sorry if you got offended by what I said." Would have been good if he had recognized that what he did was way out of line, and shown some real contrition.

Agreed--he is not taking ownership of his message.  It really isn't an apology at all as it pushes the "blame" back on the audience, instead of himself.  

I am glad that the U took this action, even if after the fact.  If this prompts a constructive conversation and/or positive changes on campus, that would be a silver lining for a bad situation.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Well, the local media has certainly pounced in this story:

KPTV: http://www.kptv.com/story/37970507/up-tennis-player-removed-from-team-after-shocking-offensive-comments-at-banquet

KOIN: http://www.koin.com/news/education/up-tennis-player-removed-from-team-for-shocking-speech/1126196994

KATU: http://katu.com/news/local/student-kicked-off-up-tennis-roster-after-controversial-speech-at-award-banquet-goutham-sundaram

Willamette Week: http://www.wweek.com/potlander/news-potlander/2018/04/16/university-of-portland-boots-tennis-player-from-roster-after-violent-misogynistic-remarks/

Oregonian (follow up from previous story): http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/04/violent_misogynistic_speech_ta.html

KGW: http://www.kgw.com/article/news/education/university-of-portland-student-condemned-for-remarks-during-athletic-awards-banquet/283-540396402

EDIT:

Now the national media too: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/04/17/goutham-sundaram-removed-university-portland-tennis-misogynistic-violent-speech/523038002/
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Kudos to the Porters and JoJo.

I have to say, this was not the finest hour for the administrators in the room, specially our VP for athletics who’s Event this was,  and most especially our president.

As appalling  as the speech was to leave this to more junior staff sitting in he back of the room to stick their necks out.  It  doesn’t  seem to fulfill the university  or  catholic  mission. Poorman  should have stepped in and made this a teaching moment. Not to do so was a   failure of leadership and disrespectful of the women in the room.

It doesn’t really surprise me coming from  institution that is blind to the religious and leadership place of half the people the Earth and sees women as not worthy of an equal role.

Has there ever been even one female Vice President  at UP?

to kick the  kid off a team were his eligibility is done is pretty lame.  Accountability is in order. Suspension from school and having the kid retake credit for this year or at least the Spring semester is more approriate. Maybe some training on gender issues.

I can’t imagine they could let him walk at graduation without a Protest or even give him standing to graduate as it stands now.

How  does the  Student handbook address this?

Last edited by Geezaldinho on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:04 am; edited 5 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11803
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Voltex Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/8crqp1/portland_pilots_tennis_player_removed_from_roster/

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/8ctxeq/portland_pilots_tennis_player_removed_from_roster/
Sound Voltex
Sound Voltex
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:Has there ever been even one female Vice President  at UP?

Only one in the school's history - the great Laurie Kelley, who was appointed VP for University Relations in 2014 (replacing Jim Lyons). Alas, she left UP in 2015 to become president of Providence Foundations of Oregon. She was replaced by Fr. Gerry Olinger, and no women are currently VP's.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:01 am

Sound Voltex wrote:Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/8crqp1/portland_pilots_tennis_player_removed_from_roster/

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/8ctxeq/portland_pilots_tennis_player_removed_from_roster/

Apparently the teaching moment should have happened sooner for some of these alumni.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:07 am

Stonehouse wrote:
Geezaldinho wrote:Has there ever been even one female Vice President  at UP?

Only one in the school's history - the great Laurie Kelley, who was appointed VP for University Relations in 2014 (replacing Jim Lyons). Alas, she left UP in 2015 to become president of Providence Foundations of Oregon. She was replaced by Fr. Gerry Olinger, and no women are currently VP's.

Nothing against Olinger, but there are already too many insulated male voices in the top floor offices.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Nothing against Olinger, but there are already too many insulated male voices in the top floor offices.

Agree 100%.

Also, I was hoping this story might die down today, but it was picked up by the New York Post this morning: https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/tennis-player-booted-for-get-white-women-to-sleep-with-brown-men-speech/

Unfortunately it involves a lot of issues that are very prevalent in the current media climate - college campus, sexism, racism, #MeToo, etc. - so I could definitely see it spreading wider before it's all over. Sad
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 am

You forgot the Catholic priest angle.

The story was retweeted by Chris Henderson, so everybody who follows  women’s soccer is aware of what happened.

Has there been any public statement from Poorman or our VP for Athletics?

I hope they aren’t just hoping it will blow over.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am

Geezaldinho wrote:Has there been any public statement from Poorman or our VP for Athletics?

Fr. Mark sent this email out yesterday... UP has also been using it as their official statement:

Dear Members of the UP Community,

Last night I attended the “Wally’s,” an awards banquet organized and run by student members of an advisory committee to athletics.

Unfortunately, the celebration was marred by shocking and offensive comments made by a student who was emceeing the event. Along with many others, I am appalled by the student’s actions. These offensive statements do not reflect us, and they do not reflect our mission. As president of the University, I remained at the event to honor those who gathered to celebrate student athletes, teams, and Athletics staff for their many accomplishments in the past year. This important tradition was the purpose of the evening, and I did not want what happened on stage to take away from the recognition of others in attendance.

I apologize to all of you that this occurred. Clearly we have continuing work to do to educate and raise consciousness. I spoke with Athletics this morning. They have already taken steps to hold this student accountable, including removing him from the roster. I expect additional steps will be taken to address the conduct and any impact.

There is no place at the University of Portland for what was said. It wasn’t funny, and it is completely inconsistent with the important dialogues that continue on our campus. Verbal or physical, it is still abuse.

Sincerely,

Fr. Mark

And this Beacon article says that an email from Karen Peters was sent out to all the student-athletes and athletics staff, which included a statement from the MC: http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/poorman-wally-statement
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm

From Fr. Mark this afternoon:
Dear Members of the UP Community,

I would like again to address the disturbing events of last Sunday night at the “Wally’s.” I have heard from many of you, and I thank you for your engagement and investment in our community. As president, I was in a unique position to stop the proceedings, and I should have done more. I am deeply sorry for what happened and for what should have happened, but did not.

In a community where we work so hard to ensure all members feel safe and respected, sometimes it is through experiencing events like this firsthand that we can truly learn. Sometimes we teach our students, and sometimes our students teach us.

As members of our community have so eloquently stated, it is our collective duty to stand up and make our voices heard. We cannot afford to remain bystanders. If we see or hear something that violates our standards of conduct, we must speak up, speak out, and ask questions. We all must take responsibility for each other.

Many people have asked me what will happen now. I have full confidence in the integrity of the University’s policies and procedures to address these situations. The comments that night were offensive – to women, men of color, women of color, to all members of our community who believe in dignity and respect for all individuals. The student conduct process, including Title IX procedures and our policies addressing unlawful discrimination and harassment, will be used to review and determine violations of these policy areas, as well as to determine disciplinary sanctions as appropriate.

There are great expectations of us as members of this community, and we hold ourselves to a high standard. When we fail, it is a deep disappointment. But it is our responsibility to learn how to move forward. We can do better, and we will.

To this end, I have asked members of the President’s Leadership Cabinet to plan forums where community members can discuss the underlying issues behind this troubling incident and what we are doing at UP to promote a campus that is free from violence and harassment and is imbued with respect for one another. We have already taken action in these areas, from the Title IX Ad Hoc Committee to the GreenDot program to a new implicit bias training implemented by Human Resources. But this will be an important continuation of that work. You will be hearing more about these forums, which will be held next week. I hope you will plan to attend or take advantage of other opportunities for input that we will provide.

I look to our students and other members of this community to help us show the world who we really are at the University of Portland. As I have said previously, the opening of Sunday’s event was contrary to our values and to our mission. We will learn together from this incident, and we will become a better place for it.

Rev. Mark L. Poorman, C.S.C.
President, University of Portland
I'm sure there will continue to be a number of new opinion pieces in the Beacon over the coming weeks... www.upbeacon.com/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:I have to say, this was not the finest hour for the administrators in the room, specially our VP for athletics who’s Event this was,  and most especially our president.
Just so it's clear, UP's VP for Athletics, Scott Leykam was not in attendance, he was represented by Senior Associate Athletic Director / Senior Women's Advisor, Karen Peters.

Here's a view of the night's event from a student-athlete who was there, and did not walk out:
Maya Murphy-Brown wrote:....I personally don't believe that Olivia Sanchez's opinion piece was a broad enough perspective to represent the evening, and especially not enough to enrage an entire campus, many of which, never even heard the speech they are so enraged about.
The entire day after the Wally's I heard people calling for protests, expulsion, etc. These are powerful ideas with real life consequences, based almost entirely off of one article that was written by someone who did not even see the entirety of the speech. USA today wrote a piece on Goutham's speech in which Olivia's opinion article was their only reference. The New York Post has done the same....
www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/i-was-at-the-wallys-the-media-was-not-submission
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 am

What a p00pstorm!  

Just so it's clear, UP's VP for Athletics, Scott Leykam was not in attendance, he was represented by Senior Associate Athletic Director / Senior Women's Advisor, Karen Peters.

Does anyone know why Scott Leykam was not in attendance? Is it was because the Wally's are not a big deal in the scheme of things or was there some other reason?

Time to pull a Starbucks and shut the place down for a half-a-day to provide some obviously needed remedial training.  

Sigh...

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am

lomiton wrote:Does anyone know why Scott Leykam was not in attendance? Is it was because the Wally's are not a big deal in the scheme of things or was there some other reason?
The Wally's are a very big deal!  The event is organized and run by the student-athletes with the help of an advisor, and is considered a "not-to-be-missed" fun event for the all the student-athletes at UP.

Audience members were told Scott was unable to attend because of a "family emergency."
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lomiton Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks DD for the clarification.

lomiton
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Another article was published in USA Today, this time a column from erstwhile Oregonian sports reporter Lindsay Schnell: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/04/18/portland-failed-response-misogynistic-speech-tennis-player-goutham-sundaram/529450002/

I do quibble with one thing in her story... from what I can tell, the initial statement on the FB page was posted at 3:34PM on Monday, not 10:34PM. I wonder if she is seeing it in a different time zone or something like that? What's seven hours ahead... London?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Here's an apology from Goutham Sundaram. Much improved from the few sentences that came out on Monday.

To the University of Portland community:

I am profoundly sorry for my opening monologue at the Wally’s. The words I spoke and the language I used cannot be defended in anyway. The following apology along with my steadfast commitment to better myself are the words and promises the UP community deserves from me.

I said things that hurt many people in this community and I want to deeply apologize for that. When I wrote the script for the Wally’s, I hoped to use self-deprecation and irony as a tool for sharing a few stories about my immigrant and diaspora experience. I realize now that it does not matter what was written in jest or what was said in sarcasm; the crux of the content was grossly inappropriate, and I am unquestionably in the wrong for that. There is absolutely no room for that rhetoric on our campus or within our community.

It truly breaks my heart to have caused pain to my peers because I did not pay attention to my own blind spots. I am committed to bettering myself and addressing those blindspots through discussions with my professors, peers, and community leaders. This language has no place on our campus, in our community, or in our world. The words I spoke should have no place in history, they should have no place in today, and more importantly I commit to ensuring they have no part in our future. I hope to become a better classmate, friend, son, brother, and person through this process.

I would, again, like to offer my sincerest apologies and express my deep remorse for my words at the Wally’s.

- Goutham

http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/goutham_letter-to-the-editor
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

A round-up of today's news coverage...

Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/04/18/college-tennis-player-kicked-off-team-for-shocking-and-offensive-jokes-about-women

Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/18/university-portland-tennis-player-removed-from-team-after-misogynistic-speech-at-banquet.html

Inside Higher Ed: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/04/18/president-apologizes-not-taking-stand-against-sexist-talk

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by StudentPilot Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 pm

On Thursday 5/3 Rev Mark Poorman CSC wrote:Dear Members of the University Community,

These past few weeks have been difficult for all of us who love this University. This has been, for me, an especially challenging time, as I have been called upon to take a long look in the mirror and acknowledge that we have work to do. I have work to do.

Over the past two weeks I attended the two student forums, the staff forum, and the faculty forum on Tuesday afternoon. Thank you for your forthright feedback and your thoughtful discussions of respect, integrity, diversity, and mutual responsibility.  I hear you.

There will be change, significant change, and it will start immediately.

I am calling upon the interim Title IX coordinators, Sandy Chung and Jeromy Koffler, to begin work immediately on expansion of our Title IX and Green Dot training and education programs.  These will not be limited to New Student Orientation.  This fall, I want these trainings available and easily accessible to all faculty and staff, as well as students.  I make the commitment to you that I will be the first to step up and take the training myself, and I will call upon those in University leadership to do the same.

We will follow up with Pilot Athletics and continue to evaluate the unique culture of sports on our campus and make sure our student-athletes fully participate in all aspects of this University community.  We have dedicated coaches and staff who will be called upon to explore ways that they can use their influential positions to help shape the values and behavior of our student-athletes.  We must lead by example and convey the values and respect that will promote a culture free from bias, harassment, sexual assault or other forms of violence.

I believe that diverse voices in leadership of our University are essential.  This summer I will be working with the President’s Leadership Cabinet to examine and improve our efforts to incorporate diversity at every level across the campus, including University senior leadership. This is a central part of the University’s Strategic Plan, but we will recommit ourselves to establishing hiring practices that will enable us to recruit and retain individuals who represent diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.

Finally, I promise you that this conversation will not end here.  It is our collective responsibility as a community to learn from this experience, to take our love for this University and turn it into action.  I know that you expect much from me, and I am committed to meeting that challenge. Together, we have the opportunity to enact change and make our community a better place.  Our work is just beginning.

My prayers and best wishes to all of our graduating Class of 2018 and to their families.  For those returning members of our community, I wish you a restful and productive summer.
StudentPilot
StudentPilot
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 602
Registration date : 2016-10-20

Back to top Go down