Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New WCC Commish

4 posters

Go down

New WCC Commish Empty New WCC Commish

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

SAN BRUNO, Calif. -- The West Coast Conference has hired former Pac-12 executive Gloria Nevarez as the league's new commissioner. The WCC announced Monday that Nevarez will replace Lynn Holzman and become the fourth full-time commissioner in confe...

Link:
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/west_coast_conference_hires_gl.html

Nevarez seems to have the right credentials, but this is ironic timing since the Pac-12 is coming off poor performances in the NCAA tourney, and their TV situation leaves plenty to be desired.  

I wish her well, and she joins the conference during a time of consternation amongst the membership with discussions of programs coming and or going... but also a period of great opportunity.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

New WCC Commish Empty Re: New WCC Commish

Post by PilotNut Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Here is a much more detailed article from the WCC site: http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/031918aaa.html

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am

The Pac-12's primary liaison for men's basketball, Nevarez played a comprehensive role overseeing officiating, scheduling, television issues management, event management and the student-athlete experience.

Huh. And she is leaving after what is arguably the Pac12’s worst postseason.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm

I certainly wish Gloria the best! I remember her a bit from her previous stint with the WCC.

Maybe I'm being uncharitable to the previous regime, but I feel like the conference as a whole has been in a holding pattern since Jamie Zaninivoch departed. The conference grew *a lot* during that time (adding BYU/Pacific, moving the tournament to Las Vegas, deals with ESPN and regional broadcasters, launching a digital platform in theW.tv, etc.), but that momentum seems to have slowed down.

I hope new leadership will bring some more growth and innovation to the conference.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:30 pm

As I understand, the deal with the basketball tournament at the Orleans is up after next year, so that's probably the first order of business. Personally I'd like to see us stay at the Orleans, but the MGM is now available since Vegas added T Mobile Arena.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Stonehouse wrote:I certainly wish Gloria the best! I remember her a bit from her previous stint with the WCC.

Maybe I'm being uncharitable to the previous regime, but I feel like the conference as a whole has been in a holding pattern since Jamie Zaninivoch departed. The conference grew *a lot* during that time (adding BYU/Pacific, moving the tournament to Las Vegas, deals with ESPN and regional broadcasters, launching a digital platform in theW.tv, etc.), but that momentum seems to have slowed down.

I hope new leadership will bring some more growth and innovation to the conference.

That growth had less to do with the commish than who were heads of the WCC presidents and athletic councils. That leadership hasn’t been there since.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11823
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:That growth had less to do with the commish than who were heads of the WCC presidents and athletic councils. That leadership hasn’t been there since.

Fair enough. I know our own Fr. Beauchamp played a big role in all things WCC athletics.

3-4 of the WCC presidents have been around for nearly 10 years, but most are relatively new to the job.

Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down